• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Just a little thing.

Today I stood near where I used to push someone along in a wheelchair. We'd look at the fish in the marina and throw in food scraps. The most enormous tench and carp would rise for them, to my companion's delight.

This person has now died and of course I thought about them.
From somewhere nearby I heard Guns'n'Roses' Sweet Child of Mine playing. One of their favourite songs. :)

Today I was talking to a neighbour who lives a few floors down from me (I live in a tower block). I've spoken to her loads of times over the last ten years or so. We were talking about how the tower block was kept really clean then and how it's now a filthy shit hole with problems with alcoholics, druggies and homeless people being housed there, some of whom should never be given their own place. They just bring their problems and addictions with them and in no time their flat becomes a place for their druggie friends to stay in and then it's anti social behaviour, fights, police being called, drug raids and the rest of it.

This lady then said it's worse than where she was brought up which is saying something. I asked where that was and she Brady Street in the East End of London. I was gob smacked as that was where I was bought up. It turns out we lived opposite each other and our families knew each other well except she is 6 years older than me so we didn't really know each other as such but we knew of each other when kids.

edit: I'm going down to her flat tomorrow evening to discuss the past. What little we did talk about evoked plenty of memories of do you remember this family, that family, etc, and she's got an album of pictures her dad took.

Last edited:
My missus recently watched and enjoyed A Haunting in Venice, a (very) loose adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Hallowe’en Party.

She’s often spoken about wanting to try Christie’s work, so l ordered her a copy of Hallowe’en Party, which she’s really enjoying.

The coincidence? Party games feature in the book, one of them being called “Snap-dragon.” She asked me whether I’d ever heard of it, and l had to confess ignorance. She told me that it was ancient in origin and essentially consists of filling a shallow bowl with brandy, dropping in almonds and raisins, igniting the brandy in a darkened room and trying to snatch out the nuts and fruit and eat them without getting burned. (Fun for ages 6 to 60!)

She found this interesting, and decided to post it on Facebook, only to find that my oldest mate - the one who now lives in southern Spain - had just put up a post on old games featuring - you guessed it - Snap-dragon

maximus otter

Last edited:
I mentioned elsewhere how my daughter's milk had been plundered and I texted her about "milk thievery". About 30 seconds later my colleague came acrosss the office asking if she could be "a milk thief" and use some of mine for her tea. I graciously agreed, amused how we had used similar phrases so close together.

I mentioned elsewhere how my daughter's milk had been plundered and I texted her about "milk thievery". About 30 seconds later my colleague came acrosss the office asking if she could be "a milk thief" and use some of mine for her tea. I graciously agreed, amused how we had used similar phrases so close together.
Maybe your daughter should try decanting her milk into another container, for some reason people in my office are less likely to steal milk if it's not in a carton or milk bottle. One of my colleagues recommends a baby's milk bottle, but I think if your daughter had one of those in her halls of residence that could start a whole different discussion.

Could she keep a drinks fridge in her room? Though I'm sure you've already thought of that and found it's not allowed.

I was recently given a cute little tabletop fridge. It's going to be filled with organically-produced health drinks* in the summer. :bthumbup:

*Beer.

Could she keep a drinks fridge in her room? Though I'm sure you've already thought of that and found it's not allowed.
Mains powered fairy lights and door stops are not allowed, so I have my doubts about mini fridges.

She'll be alright. She doesn't use that much milk anyway. If she buys it in smaller cartons her flatmates may be more reluctant to take it. And this is the first time it's happened.

Has anyone ever taken a swig out of a beer can that has been used for holding finished cigarette butts?

Just me then.
I've actually seen worse. It taught me an important life lesson - NEVER drink from a bottle or a can which you haven't SEEN opened!

This followed my witnessing someone inadvertently drinking urine from a beer can. After that if my drink were to leave my sight for just a minute, I'd dump it.

Mains powered fairy lights and door stops are not allowed, so I have my doubts about mini fridges.

She'll be alright. She doesn't use that much milk anyway. If she buys it in smaller cartons her flatmates may be more reluctant to take it. And this is the first time it's happened.

If she's mainly using it for drinks, how about sachets of Long Life milk?
We have these at work.

Amazon link -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-P...706386119&sprefix=milk+sachets,aps,160&sr=8-6

She could still keep small bottles in the fridge for cereal.

If she's mainly using it for drinks, how about sachets of Long Life milk?
We have these at work.

Amazon link -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Pritchitts-Semi-Skimmed-Sticks/dp/B07H5MDF2T/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3999ARER35WU6&keywords=milk+sachets+semi+skimmed+longlife&qid=1706386119&sprefix=milk+sachets,aps,160&sr=8-6

She could still keep small bottles in the fridge for cereal.
I'm not entirely sure what she DOES use it for. She doesn't drink tea or coffee, and has Cadbury's hot chocolate that doesn't require the addition of milk. Her cereal consumption is fitful. It's possibly just then for when her boyfriend turns up as I have seen him eat cereal, and there is much milk consumption at that point. Maybe she should make him buy it!

I'm not entirely sure what she DOES use it for. She doesn't drink tea or coffee, and has Cadbury's hot chocolate that doesn't require the addition of milk. Her cereal consumption is fitful. It's possibly just then for when her boyfriend turns up as I have seen him eat cereal, and there is much milk consumption at that point. Maybe she should make him buy it!
I'd come to that conclusion before I finished reading your post! :chuckle:

The In House GP drove down to Weymouth yesterday - about 50 miles or so - to collect a (very attractive) bench that he had ordered from t'Web. When he finally figured out where the workshop was, the man selling it said to him, "I'm sorry, I didn't make the connection before about who you were married to."
IHGP said "Huh?"
The chap replied, "You're married to Caroline, aren't you?"
"No," said IHGP, "I'm married to her sister, Bugmum."
It turned out that somebody else was coming to pick up an order that day, a woman with the same surname as us. We don't have a particularly common surname - people do ask you to repeat it - although it's not mega-rare either. But my sister is called Caroline (obviously she has a different surname), so the combination of that and our surname did strike the IHGP as an amusing incident.

We were watching a Simpsons episode yesterday that featured tequila quite heavily. Once the television went off I turned on my music, didn't want the song that was playing so I fast forwarded the shuffle - to a song called "Tequila Does". Oh how I smirked.

Last edited:
This thread was revived with a new post by Yithian.

I did not have much in my mind about these things. One thing was a recollection of Zoltar in the movie Big, starring Tom Hanks. I reflected a moment on the importance of an effigy, to make the thing work.

The very next thread I clicked on had a post by Swifty about Tom Hanks and the movie Mannequin! :dunno:
Looked on there and saw a fortune cookie mentioned with the puzzling message 'Beef', which is what we're watching on TV.

‘Late Night With The Devil’ makes $666,666 in opening weekend

Horror film Late Night With The Devil has made an apt figure of $666,666 in just one day over the weekend.

The new film – which comes from directors Colin and Cameron Cairnes – stars David Dastmalchian as a late night talk show host who invites an apparently possessed girl onto his TV show.

The film debuted in US cinemas over the weekend, and according to Variety made the coincidentally devilish number of $666,666 (£527,452) on Sunday (March 24).

https://www.nme.com/news/film/late-night-with-the-devil-makes-666666-in-opening-weekend-3609166

maximus otter

^The number of the beast always sounded like 100100100100100100101010101010111111 (six hundreds six tens and six) to me so back when the search engines used to work googled it. I got a single hit. It was for an individual who lived and oversaw land in a place where I believe the only identified source of an important resource is located which I was studying at the time.

With a coincidence like this ya' just don't want to open a can o' worms.

Yesterday I was waiting for Techy in my car, passing the time by listening to the radio and weeding my phone voicemails.

Most of the messages were spam or reminders about appointments.

A couple were from people I care about so I didn't delete those. This is because I once had messages on a phone from someone close who died, so i would sometimes listen to them.
They also stayed in my phone and email and contacts for a long time.

Anyway... this was naturally on my mind yesterday.

I have a hefty charm dangling from the rear view mirror with that person's name on. It suddenly fell onto the car radio, somehow hitting the 'source' button, and started Techy's USB music up.

Maybe the song was meaningful, dunno, I'll have to ask Techy as I don't know it.
Summat about walking one's path on Earth.

So I had a look at the charm and saw how to repair it, and opened Facebook for the last few minutes before driving off.
First thing I saw was this poem. Seemed creepily apt!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1711548814003.jpg
    FB_IMG_1711548814003.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 31
The other morning when the alarm came on, Zoe Ball was talking about those little moments that make your day - in her case, an open motorway junction that was meant to be closed. On my cycle to work, I was mulling over various thoughts, as ever, and just as I remembered Ms Ball and her little win, a great pile of bird poo splattered into the road about three feet to my right. I figured that was definitely MY little win for the day! (Oh, and bloody seagulls!)

The other morning when the alarm came on, Zoe Ball was talking about those little moments that make your day - in her case, an open motorway junction that was meant to be closed. On my cycle to work, I was mulling over various thoughts, as ever, and just as I remembered Ms Ball and her little win, a great pile of bird poo splattered into the road about three feet to my right. I figured that was definitely MY little win for the day! (Oh, and bloody seagulls!)
Erm. . . isn't it said that to be pooped on by birdy poo is supposed to signify being a Lucky sign?
(Good job Cows can't fly though eh! That would be enough to knock you off of your bike!:))

Back