• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Today I bought a newspaper (first time in weeks) and while struggling with the crossword I couldn't ignore the advert underneath which was for flights to see the Northern Lights. I was quite tempted by the idea....

Tonight I find that BBC1 has this prog. on:
Joanna Lumley: In the Land of the Northern Lights
BBC 1 London
The actress travels up through Norway to Svalbard, the most northerly permanently inhabited place on Earth, where she experiences temperatures approaching minus 30 degrees Celsius. Her aim is to fulfil a lifetime ambition to see natural phenomenon the Northern Lights. Along the way she explores the fjords of Lofoten, learns to ride a snowmobile and spends a night in a hotel made of ice SUB AD HD
Documentary
It's a sign! :shock:

Hey Rynn, did you know that the Grauniad online crosswords are now free again? :D

The 'check' and 'cheat' buttons don't work though. Not that I use them, of course.

Anyway -
Today I was listening to R4 as usual and was thinking, what's the name of that comedienne, voted the Wittiest Living Person a few years back, who died a while ago, shame that...

Later on I popped into the cemetery for a quick look at a family grave. Glancing down, I noticed a name on a plaque next to it.... :shock:
Linda Smith.

Timble2 said:
Went to see The Dark Knight.

Driving back from the Cinema, I saw the Batman, Superman,the Flash and Bananaman, waiting at a bus stop. Further on I saw the Mighty Thor clutching a bottle of Pimms. Either they're putting hallucinogens in the Coke at the cinema, or they were on their way to a costume party....or I've slipped into a strange parallel universe. I have never previously seen any superheroes in Huntingdon...

On the way home from seeing Wicked, the musical about the Glinda the Good Witch and the Wicked Witch of the West from Wizard of Oz, I bumped into Clark Kent/Superman and Charlie's Angels. They were on their way to a costume party - or so they claimed.

Todays's Fortean Times has a picture labelled 'Somerset Spook'. The picture has been thoroughly debunked elsewhere, and the boy identified as Anakin Skywalker from The Phantom Menace. On the page opposite is an advert for build your own Star Wars droids.

The book I'm currently reading has two characters with the name Vinnie. (And I normally get confused when different characters have the same initial for their names! :D )

Went to the library today to pick my next book, and pulled a new-looking one off the shelf because I didn't recognise the cover. Turned out it was called Vinnie's Head!

rynner said:
The book I'm currently reading has two characters with the name Vinnie....

Went to the library today to pick my next book, and pulled a new-looking one off the shelf because I didn't recognise the cover. Turned out it was called Vinnie's Head!
Two more coincidences associated with Vinnie's Head, which I finished today:

It also has two Vinnies in it!

And another weird character is a serial murderer and head collector, but at one time he cuts a dog in half with a samurai sword: and today I find this story online:

Samurai sword dog killer jailed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfo ... 622038.stm

(VH is a black comedy, BTW!)

The Library Imp has been at work again:
in Vinnie's Head I reported
..another weird character is a serial murderer and head collector..
Picked another book today, The Chosen Child: The title and book cover give no clue, but the blurb reveals this is a story about another serial decapitator! :shock:

Been doing laundry recently, preparing to go on my hols.

In the laundry room, someone had left a pair of underpants on the table - presumably they were found in one of the machines. Although they were my style and size, I didn't think I had any of that make.

But when I took my latest load out of the machine, I found I did own an identical pair (!) so I reclaimed my abandoned knicks and finished my drying...

Then I decided to start my packing, so I got my big carryall out of the wardrobe, where it had been stored, folded up, for over two years. When I opened it up, I found a pair of underpants inside!

It's been a pants day! :D

Two brides, same dress, same registry office, same day
Two brides turned up wearing the same dress at the same registry office for weddings just an hour apart.
Last Updated: 8:24PM BST 23 Oct 2008

Emma Johal and Lisa Goodhew who had never met before, bought their bridal gowns months before from the same shop.

Then they booked their civil registry ceremony, an hour apart, at the Bickley Manor Hotel near Bromley, Kent.

Mrs Johal, 26, who was wed first, was having her photographs taken in the grounds when she saw Lisa signing her marriage register.

She said: "I couldn't believe it. I started to say 'Thats my dress! That's my dress!' over and over."

Mrs Goodhew added: "I couldn't believe it when people were saying to me the other bride had the same dress. You wouldn't ever dream of that happening.

"I was in total shock. I have always dreamed of wearing a big white dress. At first I didn't like it - how could this happen? But in the end it was all fine."

The women had each bought their dress, a white full-length strapless gown, from the same shop, Bride and Groom in Bromley, three months apart.

Lisa got hers in November last year and Emma made her purchase in February this year. They also both wore head veils with their dresses.

Emma, 31, an operations manager for a solicitor's firm, from Swanley, Kent, said: "There were hundreds of beautiful dresses in that shop, and out of all of them we chose the same one.

"But it all worked out fine. Some people might have found it upsetting but we found it hilarious."

The brides discovered they had their hen party at the same restaurant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... e-day.html

I take a lot of photos.

After my recent holiday cruise, I posted a CD of my pics to a family who'd shared my dining table on the ship, and received several of their pics by email in return.

Today I went to the local Maritime Museum to see about becoming a volunteer helper there. The woman I saw asked if I was the chap whose name she'd noticed in the local paper. I said, 'Possibly', as I'd entered some pics in their photo competition in September.

So then I had to buy the local rag, and - yes! - I was a runner up in the competition. But another runner up was a woman who'd entered a picture of her parents on a local beach - and this woman and her parents were the family I'd met on board!

Now I'd never met them before the cruise, and I don't always buy the local paper, so it was a rare chance that I'd even notice this coincidence. I emailed the photographer, saying 'We'll have to stop meeting like this!'

A good one for my collection. 8)

Two soldiers linked in death by a bizarre coincidence
They are two of the countless graves dug for the victims of the Great War. But, in a bizarre quirk of fate, they contain the bodies of the first and last British soldiers to perish in that bloody conflict.

By John Lichfield in Mons, Belgium
Saturday, 8 November 2008

In a beautiful, wooded cemetery at the end of a suburban lane in Belgium, the body of John Parr, from Finchley, North London, rests a few paces from the body of George Edwin Ellison from Leeds.

Between their graves there lies seven yards of lawn and, chronologically and metaphorically, the bodies of all the other British soldiers – approximately 800,000 men – who died in the Great War.

Private Parr, 16, a bicycle scout, and Pte George Ellison, 40, of the Royal Irish Lancers, were, respectively, the first and the last British soldiers to die in combat in the First World War. Pte Parr was killed on 21 August, 1914, the day before the first rearguard action fought by the British Expeditionary Force near Mons on the Belgian-French border.

Pte Ellison was killed on the morning of 11 November, 1918, 90 minutes before the armistice which brought the industrial-strength slaughter of the first modern war to a close, 90 years ago next Tuesday. Both died within a couple of miles of the spot where they are buried. Their memorial stones face each other across a narrow strip of grass in a cemetery which contains more than 500 British, Irish, Canadian and German graves.

When you visit the Saint Symphorien cemetery, just east of Mons – one of the most beautiful and moving of all the many First World War cemeteries – it seems obvious that the placing of the two graves was deliberate. It is a wry and moving tribute to the fact that, for the British Army, the Great War, "the war to end all wars", began and ended in the same place.

The Independent has established that the placing of the graves was not deliberate. The fact that John Parr and George Ellison lie facing one other, overlooked by pine trees and surrounded by rose bushes and cotoneasters, is a poignant and macabre accident of fate. At our request, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which does such an extraordinary job in maintaining military cemeteries all over the world, checked its records.

"It is a pure coincidence," said Peter Francis, spokesman for the commission. "John Parr's body was placed where it is now by the Germans in 1914. George Ellison's body was brought to the Saint Symphorien cemetery from a temporary burial place after the war. Our records suggest that Pte Ellison was simply buried in the next available space. It was not then realised that he was the last British soldier to die in combat. Nor was the fact that Pte Parr was the first British soldier to die established until later."

The proximity of the two graves – and the life stories of privates Parr and Ellison – encapsulates the history of the First World War. On the eve of the 90th anniversary Remembrance Day, their stories can perhaps stand for those of the 800,000 British soldiers – and six million soldiers on all sides – who died between August 1914 and November 1918.

etc........

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 01080.html

I've had a nice one ;)
Last night I followed this link in the 'Dreams' thread about 'the big/small thing'
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6550

Today the same phenomena was mentioned on Radio 4's 'Material World' (which will be on the BBC's iplayer for the next seven days), talking about the perception of disparate objects occuping the same space; in this case, harp strings and lava. Very interesting and well worth a listen.

Years ago a girl called Charlotte sailed on a boat I skippered then, but I haven't seen her for over 30 years now. However, last night I dreamed I met her again, here in town!

Today I went for an eye test, and the girl who met me and carried out the first part of the test was called Charlotte! :shock:

Now apart from pure coincidence, the only other 'rational' explanation I can think of is that my subconscious had noticed her name-tag last week when I made the appointment, and then last night this was recalled as my mind thought about the coming day's chores - but the name called up the image of the earlier Charlotte!

This page is an analysis of John Wyndham's 'Day of the Triffids':
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7762438.stm

But the interesting thing is this response from a reader:

"My very freaky Triffids story... I first saw this when I was eight and it has haunted me ever since. Finally I found it in 2005 on DVD in a local store. I rushed home and started to watch what I'd waited so long to see. But it wasn't as scary or haunting as I remember. Then, out of nowhere, came the most frightening thing. In the scene where Bill is taken to a hotel with a group of blind people to look after, the scenery starts to look very familiar. It's my street. The minibus then pulls up to the hotel. And guess what? The hotel is my house! The shot freezes on my bedroom window - the very room where I'm watching the DVD, 24 years after it was filmed. My apartment is in an old building that used to be a hotel. So I must have seen my future home when I first saw the series back in 1982. What does it all mean? Any ideas? Is it the end of the world?"

Weird, eh? ;)

Fluttermoth said:
Gosh that story's given me serious goosebumps!
It seems freaky if you think that it could only happen to the occupants of that flat, out of a population of say 60 million.

But on the other hand, somebody has to live there, and it was several decades before the 'coincidence' did occur. And if it didn't happen to that particular tenant, it might have happened to the next one, or the one after that....

You could say it was a coincidence waiting to happen! :D

yesterday I was at home and looking through a cluttered drawer where i found three penny whistles. i used to buy penny whistles thinking that I would learn to play them... invariably I just put them somewhere never to pick them up again. So anyway I had an appointment in another town later that morning. I turned up at the office and had a chat etc. There came a point when there was just myself and another fella left in the office. I had my back to him when he said, 'have you got a drawer filled with crap that you never use and don't need?' I said 'sure everyone has one of those' Then he said' bet you haven't got these in your drawer' and he pulled out two penny whistles.

Was watching BBC breakfast news this morning and they mentioned "It's a wonderful life" and it reminded me of a freaky coincidence with the film. I had never heard of the film at all until I was at uni, 1998. I was chatting to my tutor who loved the film and kept telling me what a good xmas movie it was etc. Sadly he didn't have a copy of it but I remember him telling me to keep an eye out on the TV. Anyway6, a few days later, I go to my postbox and get a parcel - it's a video of "It's a wonderful life". The sender was an online video store (I think play.com but can't remember) - it was one that I had used recently but hadn't used it to buy this film. I asked my tutor but it definitely wasn't him - and besides, if it had been, it would have been a bit creepy as we weren't that close. I never got to the bottom of why I got sent it - none of my friends had sent it. The only conclusion I could come to was that it was a freebie from the online company, or that it had been sent in error.

Minor coincidence: my friend is currently doing the lighting for a stage version of that film.

Oh OK, it's not even a coincidence.

I saw it on DVD in Manchester yesterday. Once bought it for the former Mr Snail for xmas, as he was a big James Stewart fan and I think fancied himself as the benign paterfamilias.
He fell a long, long way short of that ideal. :lol:

Littlegreylady said:
Was watching BBC breakfast news this morning and they mentioned "It's a wonderful life" and it reminded me of a freaky coincidence with the film. I had never heard of the film at all until I was at uni, 1998. I was chatting to my tutor who loved the film and kept telling me what a good xmas movie it was etc. Sadly he didn't have a copy of it but I remember him telling me to keep an eye out on the TV. Anyway6, a few days later, I go to my postbox and get a parcel - it's a video of "It's a wonderful life". The sender was an online video store (I think play.com but can't remember) - it was one that I had used recently but hadn't used it to buy this film. I asked my tutor but it definitely wasn't him - and besides, if it had been, it would have been a bit creepy as we weren't that close. I never got to the bottom of why I got sent it - none of my friends had sent it. The only conclusion I could come to was that it was a freebie from the online company, or that it had been sent in error.

It was a Christmas present from Blackstar (now known as Sendit, I think) and all of their customers got sent that video that year as a gift.

gncxx said:
Littlegreylady said:

It was a Christmas present from Blackstar (now known as Sendit, I think) and all of their customers got sent that video that year as a gift.

Wow - you have solved a 10 year mystery for me!!! Thank you so much. And it makes the coincidence real LOL

I've just logged in and the FT home page is advertising a book called "It happened to me", at the same moment the radio started playing "Finally (it's happened to me)" by CE CE Peniston!
Only a small coincidence but it made me smile :D

May as well mention this here... :roll:

Christmas double for Hallelujah

Newly-crowned X Factor queen Alexandra Burke has topped the Christmas singles chart with Hallelujah.

Burke won the battle for Christmas number one ahead of the late Jeff Buckley, whose version of the same song was in second place.

It is 51 years since the same song sat at numbers one and two, and the first time ever at Christmas.

Burke's Hallelujah became the fastest-selling single by a female solo artist, with 576,000 copies sold.

The cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah by Buckley, who died in a drowning accident in Memphis in May 1997 aged 30, finished at number two on download sales only.

The Official Charts Company said the only other time the scenario occurred was in January 1957 when Tommy Steele and Guy Mitchell held the top two places with Singin' The Blues.

Cohen - who wrote the hit more than 20 years ago - made it a triple Hallelujah in the top 40 with a new entry at number 36.

Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot said: "It is a particularly amazing week for Alexandra Burke who has broken a string of records to announce her arrival in spectacular style.

"And, chart placings at 1, 2 and 36 are remarkable for a 25-year-old song which has never previously reached the top 40."

HMV's Gennaro Castaldo said: "It was pretty much a given that Alexandra Burke's cover of Hallelujah would dominate the race for this year's Christmas number one, but it's been such a strange year that we thought the charts would throw up some kind of a surprise, and the twist came in the form of the Jeff Buckley cover.

"It's ironic that it's taken the X Factor to get a lot more of us to appreciate the music of Leonard Cohen and the talent of Jeff Buckley."

Burke's victory pushed 2006 X Factor winner Leona Lewis off the top after two weeks. She is at number three with her cover of Snow Patrol's Run.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 794709.stm

rynner2 said:
May as well mention this here... :roll:

Christmas double for Hallelujah

Not a coincidence, but a Battle Royale between those who were emotionally affected enough by Simon Cowell's cynical manipulations to buy the X Factor single and those outraged by their lack of taste who want to teach them what "real music" is about by making the Buckley version a hit.

Personally, I think they're both bloody awful.

Met up with a friend on Friday. Amongst other conversations, we were talking about a mutual friend. We each got the train back to where we live (we met in the middle) - guess who was on her train home!

Peru Christmas baby named Jesus

A Peruvian woman called Virgen Maria, who is married to a carpenter, has named her son Jesus Emanuel after giving birth on Christmas Day.

Twenty-year-old Virgen Maria Huarcaya Palomino had not been due to give birth on Thursday, but went into labour early and underwent a Caesarean operation.

Her husband, who shares the same profession as Saint Joseph, is in fact called Adolfo Jorge Huaman.

He said the couple had been planning to name their son after a football player.

"But thanks to a happy coincidence this is how things ended up," he said.

Baby Jesus was born at 0220 local time (0720 GMT) on 25 December at the National Perinatal Institute in Lima and weighed 3.32kg.

His mother said: "I am so happy to give birth on such a special date. I didn't think that my baby was going to be born today and now that I have him in my arms I am very happy."

Virgen Maria means Virgin Mary in English. She told local television that her grandfather, a devotee of the Virgin Mary, had chosen her own unusual name, with which, until now, she had not felt comfortable.

"In school they made fun of my name," she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7800822.stm

My son went on a school trip to the battlefields in France last year, and, because my great-grandfather is buried over there, I used the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website to find out the grave location.

While I was on the site, I noticed that they also list civilian casualties from the Second World War. My husband's grandfather was previously married to his grandmother's sister, and they had had a son, but the wife and child were killed in an air raid, so I thought I'd check and see if they were listed.

They were indeed listed, although it wasn't clear where they had died, so with a bit of patient googling, I managed to track down the place. It turned out to be Exeter, where we currently live.

Now my husband's family live in Merseyside, although his nan was from Plymouth, and for some reason I had always assumed that the wife and child were killed in the London Blitz. When I mentioned it to hubbie, he certainly had no idea that his great-aunt had been living in Exeter.

It seemed a coincidence because when we first investigated moving to Devon from Essex, we wanted to live in Plymouth, as that is where we met at Uni and we are fond of the town. Moving to Exeter was a bit of a compromise, and yet, lo and behold, some of the family had been here before!

What spooked my husband even more was that I was able to find the name of the road in which the wife and child were killed. It turned out to be two streets away from the Med School, which he attends, and the road where one of Exeter's girls' schools is located, to which we had already aimed to send our daughter when she's old enough.

Well, it was a big set of coincidences to me.....

Yesterday I went into a local bar for a drink while I waited for my bus home. It was only later, while on the bus, that I realised I couldn't remember getting a fiver in my change (I'd tendered a tenner.) I checked my wallet and pockets - no fiver. Now I knew exactly what money I'd had, as I'd been to an ATM before going in the bar. I phoned the bar when I got home, and was told they'd check the tills when they cashed up, but I've heard nothing so far....

Today I decided to go for a country walk, and after a few miles came to a village with a pub, so I popped in for a pint. Decided to have a second one, and some peanuts, and tendered a twenty, but only got £11 something in change! "How much was that?" I asked, and the landlady realised she hadn't cleared a previous sale from the till.... :roll: so finally I got the right change.

Life's expensive enough as it is, without getting ripped off every time I go in a pub!

Dog-related coincidence...

A couple of months ago I took my mutts for a nice walk at a country park about 10 miles away. We met a young heavily-pregnant woman with a lively Staffie pup called Chloe.

We chatted, and she told me that she'd acquired the dog at the same time as she'd fallen pregnant. I get the feeling that one of these events wasn't too well planned!

We discussed how difficult it might be for her and her husband to cope with a both young dog and a newborn baby. She was adamant that they'd manage.

Last weekend, in the woods on the usual walk, I met two young women, one of whom I knew. She has a lovely Staffie bitch called Diva whom my dogs know well and they all had a nice sniff and a play.

With her was her friend, with two Staffies, one of which she'd just collected. She told me the story of how she'd acquired her, and yup, it was Chloe.

It's a shame that the couple did find her too much with the baby, but she does have a nice home, and she'll have plenty of friendly dogs to play with in the woods. :D

Back