• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coincidences

Anome_ said:
My point being, that it's not a coincidence if it was caused by the same thing. And, since the two planes don't share a lot of components, and are probably different ages and on different maintenance schedules, it's more likely to be an environmental cause.
The stock market sees it differently:

Rolls-Royce faces backlash in US over Qantas A380 engine failure
Warning comes as second Qantas jet, also powered by Rolls-Royce technology, returns to Singapore airport after reporting engine problem
Dan Milmo and Tim Webb guardian.co.uk, Friday 5 November 2010

Rolls-Royce was today warned it could face a BP-style backlash in the US after an engine design flaw was cited as a potential cause of the explosion that forced the emergency landing of a Qantas-owned A380 in Singapore on Thursday.

The warning came as a second Qantas jet – a Boeing 747-400 also powered by Rolls-Royce technology – returned to Singapore's Changi airport after reporting an engine problem shortly after take-off today .

Qantas said the second incident was not serious – but it was enough to trigger a further sell-off in Rolls-Royce shares, which closed down 5% for the second day running, a 48-hour period that has wiped £1.2bn off the group's value.

Joe Lampel, a professor at Cass Business School in London, said Rolls-Royce was a serious competitor to the US engine makers GE and Pratt & Whitney, forming a rivalry that mirrored the tensions between the US giant Boeing and Europe's Airbus.

"The news [of Thursday's emergency landing] is attracting a lot of attention in North America, where the parallels between BP and Rolls-Royce are not too far from the mind of some observers," said Lampel, speaking before the second incident.

"Both companies are some of the best-known global British brands, and both challenge American competitors.

"In the case of BP, the company took the brunt for general distrust of deep sea oil drilling, arguably in a way that would not have been the case had the same incident happened to a large American oil company.

"In the case of Rolls-Royce, the incident must be seen in the context of long-standing competitive rivalry between Boeing and Airbus, and between Pratt & Whitney/GE and Rolls-Royce."

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... ne-failure

An extra ironical coincidence:

'Not again!': Unlucky pilot and crew grounded after SECOND Qantas engine 'explodes'
By Richard Shears
Last updated at 9:05 AM on 6th November 2010

The hero pilot and cabin crew involved in a dramatic jet failure this week were forced to return to Singapore again today after a second Qantas flight was hit by engine trouble.
Passengers screamed and air crew shouted for them to adopt the crash position after flames or sparks were seen coming from the engine of a Qantas flight leaving Singapore airport.

After calmly landing an A380 superjet that experienced a dramatic mid-air explosion earlier this week, Captain Richard de Crespigny again failed to travel to Sydney today, as he and his cabin crew witnessed a second Qantas explosion, this time as passengers.

Earlier this week an engine on a Quantas superjumbo plane exploded mid-air
The 747 jumbo ran into trouble 20 minutes after take-off on its way to Sydney when passengers heard a loud bang and saw flames or sparks coming from an engine.
QF6 immediately returned to Singapore airport and made a safe landing.

Captain de Crespigny and the cabin crew from the superjet involved in the first engine failure were travelling as passengers on the 747 aircraft, making their second attempt to fly to Sydney.
It is believed that some of the passengers from the superjet were also on the jumbo jet.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z14UgFLmYp

I think I'd avoid flying with Captain de Crespigny - he seems a bit of a jinx!

No-one's died yet.

And I still don't think it really qualifies as "coincidence". Perhaps this discussion should move to the thread for the original incident.

Anome_ said:
And I still don't think it really qualifies as "coincidence". Perhaps this discussion should move to the thread for the original incident.
What are the options?

Rolls Royce are crap engineers, and their jet turbines are flying bombs?

Qantas is a crap airline who carelessly fly their planes through volcanic ash?

It was just a coincidence - accidents happen, right?

(Other options may be available. ;) )

ramonmercado said:
Rolls Royce are crap engineers, and their jet turbines are flying bombs?
Oddly enough they have a lot of elderly Germans working for them.
Have you got references for that?

Or were you thinking of NASA, not RR? ;)

Yesterday morning on the way to work i read a chapter of Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine in which a bright orange trolley appears and goes on its last journey. A boy mourns that buses are to replace it. Later, at the cinema, watching Easy A, a strange half-bus, half-trolley appears, top half trolley, bottom half bus. The top is orange, the bottom green. It was the oddest thing because the top looked just as I'd imagined the one in the book to.
I wish somebody could explain this stuff.

This morning I read a link that Ramonmercado had posted (on 911):
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/82481
Morgan Stack, self styled "Scholar for Truth" and the Head of the Irish 911 Truth Movement is standing for election in the Dail, in Cork Central, and Kerry North. He claims he wants to expose the truth about 911. Yet he spreads Anti-semitic lies through his website.
911truth.ie is Morgan Stack's website. It links to the usual trite videos about 911 conspiracy theories, and a collection of e-mails that Stack sends out several times a week. You can read them on the site; they are a collection of pseudo science, numerology, and gibberish. However the article that piqued this writer's interest appeared on the 6th of May. The rant is a republished article from a deranged group who call themselves "Ghost Squad." The Film they are talking about is the Russell Crowe film, "A Beautiful Mind"
Now I haven't seen this film, and what I'd noticed about it in general reading was the maths and mental illness. I didn't associate it with anti-Semitism, and the Wiki page doesn't mention such a feature either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_(film)

So imagine my surprise later, when reading the Genesis Secret (see Gobleki thread for author info, etc.) when the villain of the peace, who until then had been a shadowy background character, sends one of the good guys an email which contains quite a long racist rant, and also mentions "A Beautiful Mind" in this context!

As I say, I've not seen the film or read much about it, and the book, up to now, hadn't seemed to be heading into anti-Zionist territory. But twice within a few hours I find "A Beautiful Mind" mentioned!

Some synchronicities seem more meaningful than others...

An underrated film, A Beautiful Mind. I really liked it. almost tipped into pure fantasy at one point.

I like it too. When I first saw it I didn't get it and missed all the obvious clues.

Well, I noticed them, but didn't grasp what they were about. :roll:

Different continent, same cop

Man caught speeding by same policeman at opposite ends of the globe.

A man living in New Zealand has been caught speeding by the same policeman who booked him when he was living in England.

The speeding driver was nabbed in London two years ago, then moved to New Zealand only to be caught by the same police officer for the same offence.

The New Zealand Herald reports the unidentified man was caught speeding near Leithfield in New Zealand’s South Island in September by Constable Andy Flitton – but it wasn’t the first time the two had met under such circumstances.

The former London policeman had booked the man two years earlier before migrating to New Zealand – only to repeat the process.

The NZ Herald reports that Flitton was writing out the speeding ticket when the man started asking him questions.

"He asked if I had worked in London, I said 'yes'. He asked if I used to operate the laser gun on the A5 in North London, I said 'yes'," Flitton was quoted as telling the newspaper.

"And he said 'I thought it was you, you gave me my last speeding ticket there two years ago'."

The speeding driver had apparently only been living in New Zealand for two weeks before he was booked.

Constable Flitton told the reporter that he was surprised at booking the same man for the same thing on the other side of the world.

"We must have some sort of connection," Flitton was quoted as saying. "He only ever broke the law twice and both times I was the one to give him a ticket... it just shows what a small world it really is."

http://smh.drive.com.au/roads-and-traff ... 18pby.html

Now that's just rotten luck...

Nope, that's just rotten driving. :lol:

Here's another coincidence, I posted that very same story on this thread, but it seems to have disappeared, I wonder what happened...

I was reading a thriller in the pub last night. There were two men at the bar, and one asked what was on TV (the pub has a big screen), and the barmaid said "Football, the Arsenal game".

In my book, the hero was being shown round the extensive premises of an arms dealer, and was taken to ARSENAL 6 - the time between hearing the word and reading it was barely a couple of seconds! :shock:

(I hoped it was an omen for the game, and that Arsenal would score 6, but they only managed 3! ;) )

DougalLongfoot said:
Here's another coincidence, I posted that very same story on this thread, but it seems to have disappeared, I wonder what happened...

Zilch is A Mason, you aren't?

rynner2 said:
(I hoped it was an omen for the game, and that Arsenal would score 6, but they only managed 3! ;) )

So, half a coincidence, then? ;)

ramonmercado said:
DougalLongfoot said:

Zilch is A Mason, you aren't?

He forgot to add the secret sign - otherwise his post would have stayed. 8)

Just now, as I settled down in bed I caught the last bit of What The Papers Say on R4. I said to Mr Snail 'Oooh, I always used to watch this on TV! I particularly liked Anthony Howard!'

Straight afterwards, on the news, I heard that he'd died. :shock:

You don't know me do you?
ss4.gif

Yes, and I can see what you're doing. Stop it RIGHT NOW.

DougalLongfoot said:
I've got a second hand apron...I nearly got in at Hendon.
You'll sit in the back, and not make a fuss?

I spent a while last night engrossed by the gamey world of Herbert Asbury's The Gangs of New York, which formed the basis for Scorsese's even more lurid picture. I was especially fascinated by the tales of the female gangs and wild women of the city.

So I turn to the Guardian site this morning and find this review:

Girl Gangs of London

New York is also in the headlines because of the snow. :shock:

Name of Novel

Over breakfast this morning, my husband and I were discussing books we'd read in the past and some that I've just listened to via Librivox.org.

I couldn't remember the name of the James Schmitz book I'd just listened to, but as we were driving to work a few minutes later, I saw that we were behind a Subaru "Legacy" -- yes, the name of the book.

(It's an okay but not brilliant book, nevertheless here's the link in case anyone else wants to hear it: http://librivox.org/legacy-by-james-schmitz/.)

Moved from "Increase in synchronicity?"

I travel to North London on a semi regular basis. At Highbury Islington I catch an overland train to Palmer's Green. There's four trains an hour, two passing through Palmer's Green. If the first train coming doesn't take me to Palmer's Green I take it anyway to Finsbury Park, get off, smoke a quick cigarette, head up to the platform and get the next train which stops at Palmer's Green.

About 40 minutes ago as I disembarked at Finsbury Park a thought suddenly flashed across my mind, I thought of the BBC's "Junior Apprentice", specifically the runner up of last year's programme. I dismissed it immediately as a clip of that very show was shown on Channel 4 two evenings ago and focused on the runner up.

I went down the stairs, smoked a cigarette and then returned to the platform. Normally I sit in the last carriage, using the last door as at Palmer's Green it's nearer to the main exit.

Today I didn't, and as the train pulled in I found I was positioned at the second last door. Sitting to the left side of that door, looking out of the window was the runner up to last year's "Junior Apprentice", the guy I thought about some six minutes earlier.

I got on the train, sat diagonally opposite him and continued reading my John Keel book. As he stood to get off at Alexandra Palace I asked if he was indeed that person, he replied he was and left the train.

Weird. I thought about him and he showed up. That's what reading a John Keel book will do for ya'!

If only I could do that with six numbers twixt 1 and 49 !?!?!

We were watching 'The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants', last night on TV, when my daughter mentioned that one of the actors looked like a younger version of one of the actors on 'Glee'. I looked the actor up on Google and IMDB, only to discover that the young actor had not been on 'Glee'. However, I did notice that she had played a daughter in a fake family in a film, 'Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star' (2002). 'Never heard of that one,' I thought, 'wonder if it's any good?.'

Tonight on TV, there was announcement to say that it would be broadcast, next week.

:lol:

I have one! Just after reading the news of Don Kirschner's death last night, I settled down to watch a vintage 70s Saturday Night Live episode, and the one I picked had Paul Schaffer doing his Don Kirschner impersonation on it!

Today I finished a crime mystery built around the theft of ancient maps, and set in and around the NY Public Library.
(Lethal Legacy, by Linda Farstein.)

Tonight on iPlayer I find

The Beauty of Maps - 2. City Maps - Order out of Chaos

Documentary series charting the visual appeal and historical meaning of maps.

The British Library is home to a staggering 4.5 million maps, most of which remain hidden away in its colossal basement, and the programme delves behind the scenes to explore some amazing treasures in more detail. This is the story of three maps, three 'visions' of London over three centuries; visions of beauty that celebrate but also distort the truth. It's the story of how urban maps try to impose order on chaos.

On Sunday 2 September 1660, the Great Fire of London began reducing most of the city to ashes, and among the huge losses were many maps of the city itself. The Morgan Map of 1682 was the first to show the whole of the City of London after the fire. Consisting of sixteen separate sheets, measuring eight feet by five feet, it took six years to complete. Morgan's beautiful map symbolised the hoped-for ideal city.

In 1746 John Rocque produced what was at the time the most detailed map ever made of London. Like Morgan's, Rocque's map is all neo-Classical beauty and clinical precision, but the London it represented had become the opposite. In engravings of the time, such as Night, the artist William Hogarth shows a city boiling with vice and corruption. Stephen Walter's contemporary image, The Island, plays with notions of cartographic order and respectability. His extraordinary London map looks at first glance to be just as precise and ordered as his hero Rocque's but, looking closer, it includes 21st-century markings, such as 'favourite kebab vans' and sites of 'personal heartbreak'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _of_Chaos/

This afternoon I was playing Solitaire on the computer. I'd decided to do my shopping as soon as I finished the game, but time dragged on and I still couldn't win. I told myself that if I didn't get a game to come out by 4 pm I'd give up and go shopping.

More time passed, and then finally a game came out - and it was 4 pm exactly!

Sometimes I think the Cosmic Joker is taking the piss! 8)

Back