• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Collecting Crisp Packets, Bottle Tops, Etc., For Charity

Milk bottle tops bogus collection

I think I read this on here somewhere but i have recently been boring the pants off anyone that would listen about what is actually involved here.

My querie is this.

We were asked to collect milk bottle tops (?) for charity.
Milk bottle tops are probably the lightest think you could collect.
It would take about 10 billion milk bottle tops to make any kind
of weight, let alone a weight that would some how be worth weighing in.
Here's another reason i suspect that the collecting of milk bottle tops
was a waste of time... at my school we made a huge mural out of the tops
we collected and I know they did they same at my friends school too.

Were we involved in a big swizz some how?

My curiousity was tickled after weighing in two cast iron gates at a scrap
yard and receiving 8 quid for my trouble... by my calculation the
equivalent would be 50 million milk bottle tops

Re: Milk bottle tops bogus collection

milk23 said:
I think I read this on here somewhere but i have recently been boring the pants off anyone that would listen about what is actually involved here...
You surely did read it here. Have merged your query in with the thread in question :).

We have a glass jar that's appeared in our tearoom at work with a hand drawn sign on it appealing for plastic bottle tops so that a boy can get a better wheelchair.

Almost certainly the same old hoax, though the guy behind the collection has learning difficulties, which could make trying to explain this to him extra tricky. Or i might just not bother.

Usually these days i don;t bother telling people when they've fallen for a UL, it just seems to piss them off.

BlackRiverFalls said:
We have a glass jar that's appeared in our tearoom at work with a hand drawn sign on it appealing for plastic bottle tops so that a boy can get a better wheelchair.

Almost certainly the same old hoax, though the guy behind the collection has learning difficulties, which could make trying to explain this to him extra tricky. Or i might just not bother.

Usually these days i don;t bother telling people when they've fallen for a UL, it just seems to piss them off.

You could ask him where hes going to send the bottle tops. That might make him think and find out for himself that its a conjob.

Crazy charity appeal!!!

This was circulated yesterday by a woman at my workplace:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, Please, Please Help I am not asking for money!

My Mum works for a company in Romford called Towergate and they are collecting Plastic Milk Bottle Tops and this is why!!

I would like to bring to your attention the plight of a 6 year old girl named Becky who has cerebral palsy. She is a lovely, bright, cheerful little girl who is in a wheelchair and is dependent on adults for her care routines.

Becky is fed via a gastro tube and communicates with her eye movements. Becky is in need of a communication device that she can activate by eye movements. We are looking to collect and recycle plastic milk bottle tops to help pay for this communication device, which is also known as a "Voice Output Communication Aid" or VOCA for short.

This device costs more than £10,000 and taking account that it takes approximately 360,000 milk tops to raise the equivalent of £25……….you can see we need a lot of tops! Hopefully with the help of Staff at *** this will be more achievable.

When you have finished a bottle of milk (at home or at work), please can you wash the top and put it into an envelope. When it is full please place it in the Support Team Tray in ** for myself ** N**** B******, C******* Supervisor, *** ***, ****** Team 8

Thanks
N*****

--------------------------------------------
So that's 144,000,000 bottle tops then!!!!

ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At work recently I noticed a bowl full of plastic bottle tops on a windowsill and I thought, oh dear... :lol:

This device costs more than £10,000 and taking account that it takes approximately 360,000 milk tops to raise the equivalent of £25……….you can see we need a lot of tops! Hopefully with the help of Staff at *** this will be more achievable.

Someone can think again, assuming that's accurate, she only needs 144 million tops!

Recycling Plastic Milk Bottle Tops

We are recycling plastic milk bottle tops (We receive £25 for approximately every 360.000 milk bottle tops we recycle) as part of our fundraising for a speech synthesiser for Becky, whilst other people are organising fundraising events and getting donations for the appeal. We started to collect and recycle plastic milk bottle tops at the beginning of this year (2009) and it is an on-going collection. We have received a lot of support from local churches, schools, playgroups, the guiding movement and other people through word-of-mouth to our appeal and would like to reassure everyone this is a genuine appeal and not a hoax. :lol:

Could you provide us with some sort of link, preferably to as dedicated site or press coverage that backs this up?

At work recently I noticed a bowl full of plastic bottle tops on a windowsill and I thought, oh dear... Laughing

lol there is no stopping them.

i asked the chap that is apparently doing our collection where he took them a while back, and didn;t get an answer i could understand, well he does have learning difficulties.

asked the lady who runs the group he comes to a month or so later after i saw her bringing some in, and she said that it is his support worker who is really collecting them (presumable s/he has been roping her special needs service users into this one) and she takes them to 'a centre somewhere' :lol:

We are looking to collect and recycle plastic milk bottle tops to help pay for this communication device, which is also known as a "Voice Output Communication Aid" or VOCA for short.

That VOCA bit really narrows down google searches quite nicely :D

There's an item on the Cranleigh Scout Group website about it:

District Challenge - Come on let’s WIN!

All you have to do is collect plastic milk bottle tops! How easy is that?!

Pam Hickman (ADC Cubs, Horley District) is asking everyone to collect the caps off plastic milk bottles to help raise funds for a 6 year old girl (Becky) at her Church who has cerebral palsy. Becky is in a wheelchair, can only eat via a tube, she can’t talk and communicates with her eye movements. She is in need of a talking machine that she can activate with her eye movements. This device, which is also known as a Voice Output Communication Aid (or VOCA for short) costs more than £10,000!

We really want to help Becky and you can do that just by collecting your bottle tops - ANY COLOUR WILL DO (BUT no foil tops, cardboard covers or actual bottles please) and bringing them to Beavers, Cubs or Scouts every week. We will provide a bin for you to put them in. Just think how much you can help this little girl by doing something so simple! So come on guys - start collecting now!

The only other hit proper is this thread!

Back