• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

comforted by a spirit?

grimnebulin

soul of a hippy, mouth of a sailor
Hi, this is my first post so please forgive if it's in the wrong place. In October 2008 myself and my husband were having a hard time. His grandmother and his father died suddenly within a week of each other and the week following that I miscarried in my 10th week.
As you can imagine we were stumbling about, totally shellshocked by events. The night before I was due to go into hospital with the miscarriage, I was sitting up in bed while my husband slept beside me. I couldn't sleep and was quietly crying for our lost baby. Then I felt someone squeeze my hand in such a gentle comforting way.
The room wasn't completely dark, both my hands were on top of the duvet, there was no one else in the room. I looked at my husband, but he was lying on his side facing away from me. It wasn't scary at all, I just felt comforted. I said "thank you" to who ever it was.
Maybe I imagined it but I really don't think so. My husbands grandmother and I were very fond of each other.
As I said, first time poster (though long time lurker) please be gentle with me! :)

I think this is a case where the most important thing is what you thought it was, rather than what anyone else thought it was.

So sorry to hear about all your tragedy. :grouphug:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I don't think that such events are entirely uncommon, though.

That's true, the night after my gran died I felt a comforting presence. Was it my gran? No idea, but I'd like to think it was, if only because it meant you don't remain senile in the afterlife. Mind you, I was one of the few people she remembered in the time before she died.

thanks everyone, yes it was a difficult time and whatever it was it felt like comfort and sympathy to me.

it's good to think that anyone who is "broken" in some way while alive gets "fixed" in the afterlife. Maybe they go back to the age when they were healthiest and happiest (eek! grammar?)

Welcome grimnebulin and thanks for posting. This must have been an incredibly difficult time.

I had a mystifying experience fairly different in nature following the death of a family member - posted here long ago. I agonized over whether it was "real" in the sense of originating outside of myself, or was merely an illusion generated by my own mind. Then a friend asked my why the distinction was so important. If it turned out to be "just" my own mind generating a profound healing experience (one well outside the bounds of my beliefs and understanding) was that such a bad thing? Wouldn't that just demonstrate how extraordinary our minds are? And since we never actually experience anything except the internal workings of our own mind, what's the big distinction anyway?

These are spiritual experiences. I don't think it will ever be possible to prove them real or illusory in the materialist sense. But they happen.

Thank you Sundog. Yes I agree, they are spiritual experiences. I was wondering if I should just put mine down to wishful thinking and illusion, but the way you put it makes perfect sense to me.

My cousin told me that when he was small and sick in bed with chickenpox an old lady came and patted him gently on the head. Not knowing her he said he screamed blue murder and his Father came in
He asked him what the lady looked looked like and said :" That would have been your Grandma".

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I'm really sorry for the circumstances that led you to this experience, OP.

Strangely, I was told a story along these lines by my Dad a few days ago, as I've been collecting family ghost stories.

He said that in the months that followed his own Dad's death in the early 1960s, my Nan felt very unsettled and had difficulty sleeping. Without going into too much detail the marriage had been going through a rocky patch and she had left him not long before he died, so felt responsible. Several family members had blamed her for his death without really knowing the full story behind the break up. She still loved him, despite what had happened.

Anyway she got up in the middle of another sleepless night to go to the toilet. As she passed the top of the landing, she saw something out of the corner of her eye, and looked downstairs.

My Granddad was standing at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at her, solid as anything (she had switched the landing light on so the staircase was quite brightly lit). They stood looking at one another for several minutes before he faded from sight.

After that encounter she found herself able to sleep soundly for the first time in months.

Hi Elderberry, that's a fascinating story. Thanks everyone for your replies and for sharing your experiences.
I do believe that intense emotional turmoil can make these things happen. When our eldest two children were small I went through a period of deep unhappiness and it seemed that the flat we were living in was haunted. But that's another story! ;)

hello Grimnebulin and Elderberry and welcome! I hope you continue to post on the board when inspired to.

What lovely stories. I think it doesn't matter so much whether it was something your mind created or an actual presence from beyond the grave as the most important thing was that you and Elderberry's gran were comforted and supported during very hard times.

I like to think that even if it was something the brain thought up it was still in the shape or feeling of that particular relative for a reason - because they are still in there with you for when you need them.

Back