• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Competitions and Positive Thought...

Mattattattatt

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've entered a load of competitions recently, and I wondered if anyone had any opinion, or first hand experience, if positive thinking/wishing hard/praying affected their chances of winning?

Some people do always seem lucky in competitions (My Grandma used to always win something in raffles she entered)... is it simply a state of mind?

I have won a few raffles using the sail number of a boat I used to own.
But I've probably forgotten about the ones I didn't win!

This summer I felt I'd encountered a set of favourable omens that would surely win me a series of Flying Lessons - but I'm still grounded! :(

It's probably for the best if all such prizes are randomly allocated - otherwise, all those smug, pushy, self-confident gits would get their grasping mitts on even more of the world's wealth than they do already! :twisted:

I was watching the "Hypnosis" episode of Louis Theroux's weird weekends last night, and certainly people who (even naturally) adopt certain modes of address and behaviour certainly get more of what they want... however for that to work randomly is a bit of a leap.

However, most successful people, multi-millionaire businessmen and the like will say that luck is only a small part of it, with hard work and the above gift of persuasion playing the most part.

You would think if all you had to do was think positively, there would be loads of people making millions effortlessly?...

Presumably, then, the reason that I've not won the lottery is that I'm reasonably intelligent, and so I realise that the odds are hopelessly against me hitting the jackpot. In that situation, it's very hard to feel very positive about my chances, so the odds remain at 1 in 14 million.

Conversely, if I were daft enough to believe that "It could be you!" were anything more than a meaningless slogan, my positive thinking would undoubtedly shorten the odds considerably.

Maybe a statistician who is not afraid of ridicule should do a survey to find out if gullibility and success go hand-in-hand where the lottery is concerned?

The problem of trying to will or positively think of winning the lottery is that there are millions of other people trying to do the same and they cancel each other out (this assumes that you can have an effect on an outcome by praying, wishing, etc).

tilly50 said:
The problem of trying to will or positively think of winning the lottery is that there are millions of other people trying to do the same and they cancel each other out (this assumes that you can have an effect on an outcome by praying, wishing, etc).

That's a fantastic point... if you've entered a competition based on luck, then dozens to thousands of people are also thinking positively. So maybe it becomes a competition not of luck but positivity :)

Of course, sigils work by abstracting the object of desire until (in some cases I believe) the reason for it's creation is forgotten. This kind of defocussed approach might lessen the element of self-doubt that people wishing for stuff directly might experience.

So maybe the blasé you are about it, yet smugly self-confident you'll get everything, the more likely you are to win something... perhaps in some cases concentrating on winning may be in fact facing the possibility of not winning.

Hypothetically speaking...

tilly50 said:
You're right, and my point is that, by realising this, we could actually be making ourselves less likely to win!

Fortunately, I've never suffered from any of these silly superstitions and, touch wood, I never will.

A middle-aged couple in Tasmania won several million dollars in the Lottery.

Approx. five years later, their policeman son also won several million dollars in the Lottery, using the same numbers as his parents.

A man in Australia purchased a Lottery ticket with his last few dollars. He won a large amount. A tv station decided to run a good-news item and took the man back to the Lottery office in order he could re-enact his winning moment. One of the tv-team purchased a scratch-it ticket, posed the man by the counter and asked him to scratch the ticket as the cameras rolled.

The man did as instructed ...... and discovered he'd won another several thousand dollars or a luxurious motor vehicle (I can't remember which).

In recent years, a newspaper ran an article about a woman in the US who's been struck by lightning five or six times. In one instance, she was doing nothing more dangerous than washing her hands at the kitchen sink. Zap ! She woke up in hospital swathed in bandages with terrible burns to her body. Apparently lightning had struck some distance from her home, travelled through the ground and up the plumbing, to emerge via her kitchen tap.

Most of us have heard of people who've been struck by lightning several times.

The lives of some have recurring themes (positive or negative) far beyond coincidence.

Anyone who's experienced accurate precognition has a difficult time afterwards accepting that we determine our own fate.

Maybe the record sometimes gets stuck in a groove in that place where our fate and fortune are written?

However, I knew a man who won the raffle prize every week at his club.

Wow, you're a lucky so and so, people used to say.

As consequence, he believed himself to be a naturally lucky individual. It gave him confidence generally and especially when making decisions. He was an audacious risk-taker. I always land on my feet, he used to say, as if to remind himself.

But I knew that each week, he rushed down early to his club in order to purchase virtually the entire book of tickets for the raffle. The cost might have been $60. The prize (a tray of steak or seafood) was worth around $35.

He arranged it so that he had to win. He was consciously buying his luck. This, via mental sleight of hand, he then used to confirm his claims of being naturally lucky.

If someone can lend me £14,000,000 to buy Lotto tickets, I'll feel a lot more positive about my chances of hitting the jackpot, but then again, I'd be worried about sharing the jackpot with several others.

This positive thinking thing is more complicated than I thought...

I think someone (Lizard?) posted on here a while back about how the lottery is so tied up with charms, wishes, curses, spells etc that it's pointless.

Ah well, what can we make of this : the monk who successfully foresaw the winning Lottery number, 11 weeks in a row.

It was in one of the larger Australian newspapers, in the late 1990s. The monk -- in Laos I think -- was taken into custody and the government cancelled the national Lottery, because the monk had been providing the winning Lottery numbers to peasants.

As the monk's fame spread, peasants crowded to see him, jamming up roads and markets. The monk made no attempt to gain financially from either the peasants or the Lottery. He said he'd merely wanted to ease their aching poverty. After 11 weeks, the government heard about it and took the monk into custody and cancelled the Lottery under some pretext or other.

So, what are the possibilities ?

(1) the monk influenced the numbers so they would coincide with his predictions re: the winning numbers ?

(2) the monk was able in some way to divine which numbers would win ?

(3) the fact the monk accurately predicted the winning numbers 11 weeks in a row was coincidence ?

H_James said:
I think someone (Lizard?) posted on here a while back about how the lottery is so tied up with charms, wishes, curses, spells etc that it's pointless.
Yes, that was me, on the 'Do Sigils Work' thread in Esoterica ... the poll on that, incidentally, stands currently at exactly 50/50.

Magica(k)ally speaking there is a bit more to 'getting what you want' - i.e. manifesting your will in a material sense - than fervent desire, visualisation of success or even concentration and gnosis, otherwise, for example, all our masturbation fantasies would come true (pun intended) and then we'd be in a real mess ;)

If there is any more to magic(k) (which is, essentially what you are talking about it when you seek to influence something that you have no physical control over through the power of your mind) than what we currently understand to be psychology (and many argue there isn't) then it is certainly something more than 'positive thinking'.

If you want to know my feelings on the subject today, I am having a bit of a thing about 'clustering' (due to a combination of revisiting some Alan Moore psychogeography and William Burroughs chaos magic(k)). As has been mentioned above, some people seem to win things a lot and some never. Similarly sometimes it seems that everyone you meet talks about e.g. having pins and needles with remarkable frequency and othertimes no one mentions it to you for years. It's a synchronicity thing. Every crackpot has their theory about what it all means. You can argue it is the 'red mini' effect, but where the 'powers of the mind' are concerned it hardly seems to matter if the phenomenon has any valid exo-reality ;)

If things do 'cluster', like some strange tide washing a certain meme into your existance, then the principles of sympathetic magic(k) and magic(k)al correspondances make perfect sense .... to contact a particular current you need to create an environment where its arrival would be a remarkable coincidence, and so a magic(k)ian uses the symbols - shapes, colours, incense, gems, herbs etc etc associated with a the entity that is associated with the desired outcome in his or her working to achieve it.
To attract wealth, for example, you could go all solar - and it's coming up a good time of year for it too, Christams being such a sun thing, with all the cinnamon and oranges and golden baubles and feasting etc.
But equally, you could use a more modern and less obviously 'magic(k)al' paradigm and try and think of all the things that would strike you as being 'spooky' adjuncts to becoming suddenly wealthy... perhaps making the changing hands of money a bigger part of your life (use dirty hard cash instead of your plastic for a month maybe, or count up all that shrapnel you keep in a sweet jar on the sideboard), buying yourself a new wallet, setting up a new bank account, taking up a prestige leisure activity that will have you mixing with the filthy rich, or just a part time job in a posh boozer selling 'em beer .... I dunno .... your imagination is much more relevant to your life than mine :)... the more you make your life about it in an unrelated way, whilst not overly bothering about the thing itself, the more likely you are to attract it, if there is any mystical virtue to the clustering theory at all. If you work on the theory that the universe loves coincidence and irony you can work out how to encourage certain things to happen in this way, perhaps. Or perhaps just send yourself crazy. Maybe both.

I still don't think you'll win the lottery though ;)

Although if it helps you create your 'cluster of coincidences', I did collect the whopping sum of £6.60 today in lottery winnings myself :D

I entered a 'Noodles Doodles' design competition once. And won - a 'Tonka' toy (or 'dolls house' if you was a wussie)!

I designed a spaghetti shark - well it was during 'Jaws' fever!

It ended up looking more like a fish. Damn those people who take your work and 'improve' on it just to make the processing easyier!

Eat my fish!

EDIT - spell hing

Actually I can't recall ever winning anything of any note ... I don't know if that's just my [irony]naturally cheery[/irony] outlook on life, the fact that I'm not much of a gambler/competition enterer, or if I really haven't.

I did sweep the board at a pub quiz night with some friends a few months ago, but we cheated, frankly.

I did know a girl once who was competition crazy - she subscribed to one of those consumer competition magazines and did every soap powder prize draw and chocolate bar tie-breaker compo etc etc going and she did seem to win quite a few things, most of which were either fairly useless or a bit surreal - a crate of shampoo or a day out at a fashion show etc etc.

I recall a thing on the radio or possibly TV once regarding those 'complete the following' tie-breaker type things, incidentally, and a surprizing number of the winning entries consisted of some variation on

"[brand x] is the best because ....

It's strong and clever, clean and true
- If only [brand x] made men too!"

:roll:

_Lizard23_ said:
I did sweep the board at a pub quiz night with some friends a few months ago, but we cheated, frankly.

Some might say that "knowing the answers" is cheating (especially if your dad is running the quiz). But, in this day and age of text messaging, I'm supprised that pub quizzes (love that word - not as much as 'blancmange' though) are still held at all.

Oh. You're also slagging off men. :(

We cheated by getting someone who wasn't on our team to tell us the answers to all the 80s music and 'which celeb is this a photo of' questions that we didn't know. I'm not proud of it ;)

And I am soooooo not slagging off men, I am reporting on the inanity and misandry of crappy household product compos, if anything.

So there.

_Lizard23_ said:
...I am soooooo not slagging off men, I am reporting on the inanity and misandry of crappy household product compos, if anything.

So there.

Same thing. Boo Hoo! :cry:

Diabolik8 said:
Mattattattatt, google 'law of attraction'.

That's interesting... I guess that system is an extension of the phrase "Patience has its own rewards"... sit and wait, it will come to you...

I guess I've noticed things like that happening in my life...Recently, I wanted a bike, someone offered me one within weeks (never been offered a bike before :) )... I wanted freelance work, within a similar period someone who I haven't spoken to for 3 or 4 years contacts me with work. There's been other situations, too - I think everyone's had that to some extent, but is it really just coincidence...?

I find the pseudo-science of the law of attraction stuff a bit distracting. The philosophy of idealism, and phenomenon such as telepathy could provide similar success, or even precognition - they say you know it when you see it, and maybe being able to feel something happening in the future makes you want it?

Back