• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Conclusive Proof on Anything Paranormal?

lopaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In the Redfern/Roswell thread this statement was offered:

Gadaffi_Duck said:
I must admit, I never actually get upset...just slightly disapointed that there is no conclusive evidence on anything paranormal...but I live in hope, yet will always apply rationality and the scientific method first: I'm sure most of you realise that this is not paradoxical :D

I'm not starting this to have a go a Gadaffi_Duck or anyone else, it's certainly a statement I've heard before and in this case was put better (and more politely) than a lot of other times such a proposition has been put forth, but is it true? I'm certainly more of a gadfly than anyone who could be considered a paranormal researcher, but I was under the impression that some things that fall under the rubric of 'parapsychology' have been *proven*, at least if one accepts a certain threshold or amount of statisitical analysis to constitute *proof*. (I'll have to dig a little to find citations.)

I mean, I know R*ndi still has his $1,000,000 and everything, but I thought this was now generally acknowledged. No? If not, are there really *no* examples out there of *proof* of the paranormal?

EDIT: I realize G_D used "evidence" rather than *proof,* I chose to use qa stronger word, as 'evidence' can end up getting into a quagmire of definitions, IMHO.

Interesting thread. As the 'germ' of the enquiry I will sit in judgement if no one objects. Please provide the 'proof' (I'll except your definition) - I personally, with no malice or joking, would love to see anything that most rational people would just have to say 'yup, that's proof'. Please don't get me wrong; I'm not closed minded and love to explore the unknown :D See my vast book collection for details ;)

PS. Edit to correct an 'in' to an 'if' :lol: ....drunked fool that I am :oops:

I bet our current science would look paranormal to people a couple of centuries ago. So maybe we won't have conclusive proof until what we perceive as magic(k) is set up as a verifable science in a thousand years. I look for proof everyday, it's just hard to make concrete evidence into a replicatable process. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

lopaa: Good thread - as far as I'm aware there is no definitive piece of evidence as:

1. It would be brought up ALL the time in debate until we got sick of it.

2. Once it is definitive evidence of paranormal it shifts over into being supranormal (or whatever the cop out was).

With 2 in mind I suppose we could say: rocks from the sky. While dismissed at the time it is now pretyy much accepted by everyone. Can you imagine what it must have been like presenting a rock you say fall from the sky that was too hot to touch but no one would believe you?

Find us a piece of bigfoot tooth or bone or a piece of alien metal from a spaceship (hmmmmm that sounds familiar) and we are going places but mostly the evidence is very much people's personal statements and dodgy pictures.

I uppose the debate would then be - what conclusions can we draw from these reports and pictures? However, that is a different thread and I am intrigued to see if someone can come up with something better.

tastyintestines said:
I bet our current science would look paranormal to people a couple of centuries ago. So maybe we won't have conclusive proof until what we perceive as magic(k) is set up as a verifable science in a thousand years. I look for proof everyday, it's just hard to make concrete evidence into a replicatable process. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.
Good point. The idea that "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" or Clarke's (Third?) Law is a common idea. However, I think it's significantly flawed.

I believe that it is more correctly stated as "Insufficiently explained technology appears magical". I think one of the things modern science has going for it is that, if you go back and time and explain it to people it will make sense. They may not believe it, but it will still seem logical.

I expect that any proof we get for paranormal phenomena should still meet the criteria of internal consistency and logic. If someone can read minds, there must be a mechanism that lets them do it. Such a mechanism must behave in a consistent manner. If aliens are found to be visiting Earth in spaceships, then they must have a reason, and their spaceships must work on some logical principle that isn't just "magic".

So far I haven't seen any evidence that is sufficiently consistent or logical to be acceptable. I keep hoping, though.

Now call me silly and piss on me from a great height - I've an umbrella at hand - but aren't Dr. Rhine's esp experiments at Duke University still highly regarded?

Would some of the cryptozoological finds be proof that more unkown animals might be out there? Hasn't things like the existance of giant squid proven the possibilities that certain sea serpent stories could be based on fact?

What about anamolies from the past, like the Bagdad Battery, being a threat to the current belief system we have constructed of the past?

And would the cumulitive reporting of phenomenon over time (like Loren Coleman's Mothman book about all the linked flying humaniod creatures) indicate something more than pure imagination or hallucination?

It DOES seem a little too easy for evidence of the paranormal (UFO debris, or the little man found in the wyoming cave, or bigfoot body parts) to somehow disappear. I still believe in many "weird" things but I can understand some people's skepticism.

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Would some of the cryptozoological finds be proof that more unkown animals might be out there? Hasn't things like the existance of giant squid proven the possibilities that certain sea serpent stories could be based on fact?

I agree - sea serpents/monsters are the most likely crypto things to exist, not just because of the giant squid and coelacanth but because the deep ocean is a weird, enormous, and largely unexplored place. 10 thousand times bigger than the largest forest or desert. Who knows what's down there? :shock:

Frankly, some of the stuff the oceanographers have been documenting on ultra-deep dives are almost more amazing than a sea serpent.

I won't hold my breath waiting for them to find lake monsters, tho (unless the lake connects directly into the ocean, and even then I'll want a body).

And would the cumulitive reporting of phenomenon over time (like Loren Coleman's Mothman book about all the linked flying humaniod creatures) indicate something more than pure imagination or hallucination?

No. A billion people can all believe Santa is real - it doesn't make him real. Even if people took plaster casts of his boot prints, had visitation stories, and saw red glowing objects in the sky that resembled Rudolph. Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence. No Santa unless you get hold of a flying reindeer. :)

Thanks everyone for the great responses. That's why this MB is the place. :) It's late and I'm far too tired to write more, so part II I mention at the end will have to wait until tomorrow.

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:

I'd tend to lump things like that under 'evidence' (and I'm only working off my own self-defined, self-imposed definitions. Other people's results may vary. :D ). I think, personally, that there are examples of what are called poltergeists, not "noisy ghosts" but the apparent phenomena of objects moving, corks popping, etc. that are indistibutiably 'real'; a human being (or something that interacts with certain humans) is interacting with our surrounding physical enviornment in an inexplicable way that is not trickery. Across time and cultures strongly, strikingly similar reports have been given that don't even seem, unlike the way a number of fortean phenomena are currently being investigated or understood, as being a result of or ascribable to states of altered consciousness among those experiencing it, either as participants or observors. But that doesn't, to my mind, constitute *proof* of it and certainly not as the result of an identifiable mechanism, as anome described.

With regards to anome & tastyintestines' thoughts about the progression of knowledge, that's absolutely true. And so part of the conversation or part of the question is always to be "what things are currently in that transition from nonsense to recieved wisdom?." Which is more obviously the case in a subect like cryptozoology that Mr. R.I.N.G. cites. But I'm not so sure if a field like Quantam Physics does not suggest a place where right now some of western thinking's best minds are trying to understand the logic behind the magic, as I think anome is using the words.

Though, as with Emps example of stones from the sky, it is possible then, to accept a phenomena as valid before anything but the crudest understanding of the actual mechanism is in place. So I don't go quite as far as anome seems to in my own personal standard of what I'll accept as *proof* for something like 'mindreading'.

But I've spent some of my evening immersed in parapsychology journals and it's Andy's post that is sort of what I was getting at, so I'll do that as a seperate answer. :)

The problem of 'proof' is and will be, I feel, a persistent one, for several reasons.

IMO it is impossible to irrefutably prove anything, excepting mathematical proofs. The plethora of observed happenings labeled "Forteana" are in a domain for which scientific understanding and methodoliges are largely non-existent. 'Proof' often taken as a factual given, (an absolute), is in 'fact' a "good enough hypothesis" in a "reasonably controlled environment" within a sub-set of everything that is (see later). Who decides what is "good enough for everyone"? Who decides who decides what is "good enough for everyone?", and so on. What should the individual decide, who do they trust to, effectively, validate their experience(s)?

Whilst some are under the illusion that irrefutable proof is achievable, one "side" of a given argument, who oppose the base axiom(s) of the other can cry "not enough proof" no matter how much evidence is gathered whilst the other side tries in vain to satisfy the impossible within unsuitable testing schemas.<And repeat>.

It's fair enough to call for "good enough proof" as long as both sides formally agree what this constitutes, with no loopholes or sneaky extensions allowed on either side. The nature of "Forteana" being mostly non-repeatable and/or immeasurable doesn't lend such to present testing methods. Hopefully methods will have to be extended to encompass problems of quantum physics - in this way new testing schemas may more or less "accidentally" become useful for testing "Forteana" as well? Otherwise, the amount of evidence that could be measured and examined with present schemas would have to increase, and, as others have noted, the good stuff seems to get "disappeared" or the "not enough" rule is invoked.

A most important aspect when "discussions" re: "Forteana" arise is the massive body of personally unexamined assumptions we all hold, these can be both emotively and psychologically extremely powerful for the participants (even, on the 'unconscious' level, apparently life-threatening, if not seeming so 'consciously'). The failure to examine such may lead parties to genuinely not understand how others cannot see what they see, and often leave one unable to see what one personally cannot see - if you see what I mean. See? ;)

Imagine Fred says to Mary:
"Do you believe in ghosts?".

Mary says:
"Oh yes!"

and both are happy that the transaction has completed agreeably and the information exchange was qualitatively perfect. However - this actually happened:

Fred said:

"Do you believe [that ghosts are the individually existent continuing consciousness of deceased people?]"

Mary replied:
"Oh yes, [I believe that ghosts are replayed recordings of events imbued into the matter of a specific location during a traumatic event]".

This leaves aside what the hell "Do you believe in..." means? The question was utterly meaningless and no-one noticed, because of unexamined assumptions, or labels. This is an almost facile example too - assumptions can cut much deeper than this. e.g. what IS, what REALLY IS 'a particle'? What IS, what REALLY IS 'gravity'? No one knows! These are merely labels for observable 'happenings' or names for "stuff that appears to happen". In essence everything is exactly that, a lot of "everything that appears to happen" and no one 'knows' 'why' or 'how', at the lowest levels. Labels/assumptions make it appear we do 'know', yet each and every label, even accepted terms such as 'time' or 'particle' or 'force' are arbitrary and interchangeable as demonstrated by the Feynman diagrams in John Gribbin's "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" that show exactly equivalent "happenings" being relabeled with different scientific terms as above (e.g. direction of 'time' and 'particle' names changing). Just the labels change, or if you prefer the POV of the observer can shrink-to-fit arbitrarily onto the underlying "mystery stuff", yet the "happening" is perfectly equivalent to the same seen by way of a differing model, or if you like from a different POV, what "everything stuff" does depends on 'how' you look at it.

Whilst such assumptions as in the "ghost question" example would hopefully not mar the scientific testing process itself, they certainly do mar discussion of "Forteana" scientifically. As I have said elsewhere, relative rarity of some phenomena (i.e. not regularly reproducible phenomena) certainly does not stop scientific examination of .. well .. other rare phenomena, hence the source of such dissent must lie elsewhere (hence me mentioning personal assumptions etc.) when it comes to Serious(tm) discussion of "Forteana".

As said in "A Guide For the Perplexed" by E.F. Schumacher, if we divide everything into 4 domains, being mineral/material, plant, animal, human (immediate assumptions abound, but anyway...), a plant could be said to include a mystery element "x" above minerals/material ("m") that we could label "life", an animal an element "y" above plant labeled "consciousness" and a human extra "z" over animal being the ability to Homunculorise[1] himself thus know of his own knowing and/or think about his own thinking - "self awareness". Of the total

m + x + y + z

science has only ever 'explained' m, and (presently) only has methodologies for testing m, i.e. even when testing, say, "consciousness" it only has means to examine the "m" aspect(s) of the it. The bulk of "Forteana" lies by its very nature within the presently untestable "x + y + z" of everything. Asking for lots of "m" to 'prove' "x + y + z" is what seems to currently happen.

Labels do not 'explain' anything, they just assign a theoretical 'things' framework to the underlying mysterious nature of everything. Underneath such a framework of 'things' (the 'real world') the true nature of all is as mysterious and ambiguous as ever. As with the "ghosts" example, as long as people think some of their labels match, and do not examine all of their assumptions noone notices, and can play "let's argue labels/assumptions". This may be called variably "scientific discussion" or "chatting in a forum" amongst, no doubt, other favourite names. I should say here, in case this sounds scathing, that the above applies to virtually everyone - having completely and utterly understood all of your own framework or labels, could otherwise IMO be called "enlightenment".

The above is exactly why we have meaningless official labels such as 'night terrors'. So how much proof is ever enough proof? As much as the person(s) demanding say so. How long should we keep arguing about proof? As long as no one notices someone said something meaningless to someone else and got a meaningless answer in response. The former (enough proof) is not likely to happen unless the "m" elements of "Forteana" increase (thereby not being labeled "Forteana", these might then be labeled "normal life") or if good examples of "m" are not quickly removed (for whatever, possibly valid reasons), or "disappeared". The latter is not likely to happen unless the scientific and the paranormal community are more open/aware regarding their personal assumptions/labels - and as a sidenote, this aspect is not limited to "Forteana", look how many new scientific theories cause debacles and may take years to be accepted, even when residing well within 'rational' bounds. Egos. Personally I hope that the forefront of quantum study will provide ripe new testing grounds, agreeable to both paranormal researcher and mainstream scientist.

Models and theories are useful TOOLS, as long as they are seen as theories only, as good as any other fitting model would be, not Truth(tm). On the whole science thing, I am totally with Feynman who described the dual-slit experiment of quantum phsyics as "the only mystery" (on this note if anyone has links to any recent developments regarding this - pro and con, I'd appreciate it). Everything else IMO, absolutely everything else, is just a bunch of ^H^H^H^Hlabels.

[1] My new OfficialLabel(tm). If anyone shows signs of this, I will merely say "Aaah, you're clearly Homunculorising, you see?" - and you have to go away (and thank me for it). ;)

"Something unknown is doing we don't know what." -- Sir Arthur Eddington

Krobone said:
[Frankly, some of the stuff the oceanographers have been documenting on ultra-deep dives are almost more amazing than a sea serpent.
Indeed. And some of the believers complain about science taking the romance and mystery out of the world.

"No we didn't find a 300 foot long serpent like creature, but have a look at this!"

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
What about anamolies from the past, like the Bagdad Battery, being a threat to the current belief system we have constructed of the past?

Yup. Graham Hancock and others have amassed an impressive amount of evidence to show that commonly accepted history is very, very wrong in places. This is one area that needs more scrutiny, but it's completely ignored by mainstream archaelogists despite some (apparantly) strong geological and astronomical data to back it up.

The above replies appear no different from my stance. Keep an open mind. However, we do have an interesting conundrum as to what constitutes paranormal. Sadly, our perceptions get in the way. While I agree that to the French Academy, stones from the sky were impossible; Barry Baldwin has pointed out that many an ancient reported stones from the sky. The problem with cryptids as paranormal is two fold 1) We have reports of animals that orthodoxy says are extinct or improbable: solution, find animal/spoor/hair to prove point. This is a similar situation to the stones from the sky debate - either they exist or don't 2) creatures that have become mythic eg Nessie, yeti and the ol'goat sucker. However if a crytozoologist finds one of these amazing beasties we can say it was 'just' an animal and thus orthodoxy was incorrect; yet if we actually did find Nessie? Yes, it would be an animal, but due to its mythic status would it be considered paranormal? - I don't know the answer, but as this is Sunday morning and I have a hangover, I suspect that by and large cryptids are not paranormal (can't wait to see the mongolian death worm though).
PS. Andy, I am pretty sure that most of the Rhine tests have been questioned (if not discredited) - I'll see if I can find some info :D

BouncingAyatollah said:
It's fair enough to call for "good enough proof" as long as both sides formally agree what this constitutes, with no loopholes or sneaky extensions allowed on either side. The nature of "Forteana" being mostly non-repeatable and/or immeasurable doesn't lend such to present testing methods.

As with stones from the sky they did have actual evidence in their hand and when studied it shows it can't have had a terrestrial origin. Equally as I said above part of a bigfoot or some alien metal would be equally testable but, while such evidence has come up over the years, they haven't yet yielded "proof." One day such a definitive item may appear and may reveal itself to be realy through a battery of tests. One day.....

Most Forteana is, as you say, largely anecdotal or equivocal and we start running into all sorts of problems due to our human fallibility. Hufford does discuss how one can lead an "experience-centred study" in his Old Hag book - it has its limits but as all the action happens in people's heads it is one of the few approaches available.

@Emperor
As with stones from the sky they did have actual evidence in their hand and when studied it shows it can't have had a terrestrial origin. Equally as I said above part of a bigfoot or some alien metal would be equally testable but, while such evidence has come up over the years, they haven't yet yielded "proof." One day such a definitive item may appear and may reveal itself to be realy through a battery of tests. One day.....

Quite true, I overlooked areas of "Forteana" where the anomaly in question is primarily based around physical object(s), e.g. cryptozoology. Probably because I personally find other aspects of "Forteana" more intriguing - one of my own assumptions or biases there. Hoist by my own petard? ;) Having said that, surely... SURELY... there must be a small piece of constructed otherworldly debris lurking out there somewhere in an old barn? As you say... one day.

BouncingAyatollah said:
Having said that, surely... SURELY... there must be a small piece of constructed otherworldly debris lurking out there somewhere in an old barn? As you say... one day.

You'd think!!

All we'd need is a sliver the size of a small needle and it could be tested in multiple labs which would satisfy most people.

I mean tehy can't have got all the debris at Roswell surely? They'd have needed to remove the soil down to about a foot to be sure they got 99% of whatever it was but that mans there must still be stuff out there.

I'd also be interested in the testing of "alien implants" - what kinds of results have come from them?

Well why not answer ym won question with a quick Google?:

The alleged implants removed from the first set of surgeries were studied by two different pathologists, and then sent to various independent laboratories for extensive scientific analysis. The tests performed on these alleged alien implants were: a pathology/tissue evaluation, laser induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS), extensive metallurgical testing involving a density immersion test, X-ray energy dispersive spectroscopy, scanning electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction pattern analysis and electron/magnetic and fluorescence property analysis. Isotopic range tests are also in progress. Tests were conducted by the National Institute of Discovery of Science (NIDS), New Mexico Tech, and other independent sources.

Test results from the first set of implants revealed that the lammelar, needle shaped metallic objects in question are basically meteoric in origin, containing at least eleven different elements.

http://users1.ee.net/pmason/el_removal.html

The NIDS homepage is:

www.nidsci.org

but see this discussion:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18622

One wonders how reliable they are?

The results are a tad throwaway!! Thats an importantresult as most people wouldn't tend to get a meteorite under their skin or have one to hand to jam in there.

A Doctor Leir removed them (and is said to have removed more implants than anyone else) and his page is here:

www.alienscalpel.com

with the results here:

www.alienscalpel.com/NMTech-intro.htm

They conclude it could be meteorite-like or a sliver of metal that entered the body and accreted other minerals which also explains the pathology results. Hmmmmm.

He does have this "claw" with other physcial evidence that the MIDS are testing:

www.alienscalpel.com/claw.htm

Emperor said:
He does have this "claw" with other physcial evidence that the MIDS are testing:

www.alienscalpel.com/claw.htm

IIRC that was covered in one of the last issues of UFO Magazine, it wasn't human, apparently it was a bit of sea urchin or something of that kind.

(And if UFO Magazine debunked something we can be pretty certain it really wasn't anything alien)

BTW: I thought I'd read this somewhere before, but NIDs seems to be mothballed according to its Website

By strange coincidence, I was recently reading Dr Leir and his story of implants (he clearly believes anyway) - further, in the same sitting I also went through a Friedman- he made the same point as EMP's - in that something must've been left as Roswell. However if said object was terrestrial and didn't explode, then there's quite a good chance the military got just about everything (indeed if they've had a bloody long time to comb the area have they not?)

More on Leir/implants

Another summary of Leir at www.ufocom.org with some interesting links off it, e.g. www.virtuallystrange.net has some comments at the bottom of the page - on the one hand criticising testing methods and on the other suggesting how trace impurities in implants may allow them to act as a transmitter/receiver. I found this interesting because from Leir's site this account mentions how Leir and co. "determined there were emanations coming from [the woman's] cheek that registered at 92.7 and 102.9 megahertz." The removed item in this article looks more "impressive" also, but I was unable to find any follow-up online (anyone got access to MUFON archives just in case?).

If we look at various statements, it soon becomes clear why there is no 100% evidence.
When scientists test GM-food and it turns out to be "dangerous", there seem to be hardly any doubts in the scientists and their methods.
If other scientists test alien implants and come up with a decent result, there is doubt.
Even here on the board, you read stuff like: " I don't know how trustworthy these scientists are..." etc.
Now I happened to work an awful lot as one of those scientists, testing various things and coming up with a result. There is really nothing to cheat much. Especially if you work in a lab, a contractor gives you something to test, you run the tests, usually with an established HPLC, GC or autospec and then you get readings. These show you whats in the sample. You print it out and sign it and it gets countersigned.
Most scientists I know don't really give a damn about what they are testing, tehy just do it. This is the reason I am quite confused about "not trustworthy". Unless there is a strange lab somewhere with shifty types, doing nothing else but producing wrong readings, I believe that any errors are down to the laboratory conditions, their machines and bad standard operating procedures.
Something as simple as testing some sample for unknowns [as in the alien implants], can not really go wrong.
I for starters believe that whatever they found in them is what it is made out of. But as soon as something seems to prove anything "paranormal", we tend to doubt these results.
Nobody doubts medical drug testing, even when years later they turn out to be very damaging. Why?
Because we somehow think that people who test drugs are trustworthy [well I've seen some cheating - think about it].
What am I actually saying?
I don't know, its lunchtime and its too hot, I'm sure someone will figure out what I meant... :?

Can' t think of many scientists who would suggest that GM foods are 100% dangerous off hand...please elucidate :D

@Dingo666

From how I interpreted your post you seem to be talking about the psychological aspects of the problem, as I attempted to do in my earlier post. These are as contributory as the "nuts and bolts" aspects. In the ufocom link above Leir & co. state how they avoid telling a metallurgist being "a skeptic regarding ufos" that material has come from inside someone. No surprise then that he comes to the "meteorite" conclusion, as you would missing the supporting data. A shame though that such aspects should have to be considered at all. These IMO hold up scientific advancements, and historically always have done (the often painful heretic -> revolutionary thinker transition).

I see the whole problem of "why is there no proof?" encapsulated like this:

1) There is not enough physical evidence in public circulation:
1a) Such evidence is "disappeared" by third parties for whatever reasons
1b) Such evidence vanishes inexplicably [1]
1c) There is little physical proof in toto, thus none to circulate

2) Testing methods are not (yet) adequate for (some) of the problem domain, as they rely on reproducible, weighable, measurable elements. As Emperor stated this is not always the case for all Forteana. IMO forefront research into quantum physics presents similar problems so may (hopefully) lead to new methodologies being devised by necessity. Quantum physics however does not suffer from quite soooo much of the following:

3) Psychological aspects bar "serious" research. Credibility/egos/livelihood etc. This can also lead to cases where formal, high quality tests may not be applied in this domain, because formally instituted researchers are psychologically more likely to "run away from" the subject.

The latter should not be underestimated or assumptively removed from the equation, for one who risks putting his/her head on the "credibility chopping block" risks being labeled (as stated) a "heretic", discredited and possibly being barred from official organisations/future participation in other work - i.e. his/her livelihood is potentially at risk due to peer reaction(s). This can work on a group level, as in "all good scientists 'know' ghosts are ridiculous" [to be accepted as a 'good scientists' thus you have to agree] or personally as Dingo666 mentioned, wherein someone is personally more likely to conclude "GM foods are dangerous" is a 'good' conclusion due to their fears rather than "implants are alien technology" due to their implicit rule-base delivered to them during their upbringing.

[1] Apparently (yes, 'anecdotally') this may happen as the material(s) are (presumably?) returned to or recovered to their source domain/owner.

I'm all for scientific and psychological debate regarding terms and ideas/philosphies pertaining to 'truth', 'proof' and 'evidence, however, interesting as it is...perhaps we should also get back to the idea of presenting evidence of proof of the paranormal (if indeed such evidence exists). I must admit, my book by Dr Lier is a first edition and I haven't really kept up to date on his findings - has he got more evidence or not?

I suspect that any concrete proof would be potentially open to a plethora of interpretations. A piece of unequivocably alien engineered metal may be nothing more than a fragment of an alien equivalent to our own Voyager probe, yet you can bet that everyone from David Jacobs to Billy Meier to the Ashtar Command would claim that it proved that they were right all along!

Proof for many phenomena - telepathy, loch ness monsters, life after death, precognition, alien big cats, Elvis being alive, ball lightning - could be reasonably conclusive and yet is always seems strangely elusive...

...and yet it can happen I think the latest one to be accepted were monster waves, before that it was giant squid. Firewalking also went from being amazing to mundane. (The Baghdad battery was never a threat to anyone's history, however much Von Daniken & co might like to play it up).

So keep your eyes open for hard proof and it might just happen again, :D

The problem with trying to peep behind the curtain of the paranormal is that as soon as you do see behind that curtain, the magic is gone, it is explainable and hence normal.

Also, bear in mind that there are many 'scientific' phenomena which are used on a regular basis for which the mechanism remains elusive - the difference being that the results are replicable. As soon as someone demonstrates (for instance) replicable, reliable evidence of ESP then we have to reconsider it's definition as paranormal. And so we go round and round...

True. But 'proof' of ESP would open the doors to respectable (if you get my meaning) scientific study of related psycho phenomena. Thus if mind to mind communication does exist, is it also possible that locating objects without prior knowledge (and at distance) a real phenomena; or moving objects etc? If we posit the above, then we have a possible basis for explaining subjective interpretations of 'spooky' experiences.

As the Prof suggested, the curtain has been pulled aside...yet, a physical and scientific basis for ESP would not provide 'proof' of astral bodies or contacting the dead or knowledge of the future - all of which would still be deemed paranormal. However, in the interest of fair play, should ESP ever be shown to exist (and I have many doubts) and is explainable by science, Randi should still pay up.

Some major archeological orthodoxy took a serious hit today with the story about 40000 year old footprints in the US - not paranormal but an area where anyone suggesting that there had been pre-clovis colonisation of the American continent has been labelled a kook by the academic establishment up until now.

Very satisfying to see...

Back