• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Concurrent Dreaming

Twin_Star

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I have been meaning to start a thread relating to this topic for the last few days, since i heard an interesting story about this little known phenomenon.

OK, first things first - I have searched the forums, and whilst there is tonnes of info about dreams (flying, dying, lucid etc) i have only seen snippets about concurrent dreaming. I'd like to keep this thread as true to that as possible, but have no desire to become a topic Nazi, so let's just see.

If there is a thread completely dedicated to this experience, i'm sure the trusty mods will merge as they see fit.

Right, enough of the corporate disclaimers, let's get to it:

I have recently started work at a new office, and my team leader has on occasion given me lifts to and from, when i don't have my car available (we live maybe 3 miles from each other, so it's no skin off his nose). One of our topics of conversation, amongst many others was the standard "do you have any brothers / sisters / aunties / uncles etc?".

To this, "John", replied - yes i've got a twin brother. After the obligatory "oh wow, that must be really cool", the conversation followed the usual paramters for this type of revelation, to whit:

Who was the oldest?
Identical / fraternal?
What is he doing now?
Any funny stories about being twins? (and indeed there was - the classic teenage girl dupe goes out with the "other" brother for whatever reason, with all the "did she realise?" cross-examination).

Lastly, we worked up to any "weird" experiences and here the game was afoot.

"John" casually announced that there were only two events that really sprang to mind. The first was where he had a dream (he couldn't remember the specifics), and the next day he phoned his brother (relating to event 2, which we will come onto later). During this discourse "john" mentioned his dream, and started to go through it. His brother stopped him there, and proceeded to finish off the events of the dream. The two were identical.

Event 2 - After that "John" asked if his brother had anything "wrong" with his pecker and the brother duly replied he had a lump about 2/3 of the way up the shaft, just under the budgies head. John had an identical lump.

Now, John had already stated in the conversation that he quite often had physical complaints (aches, pains and whathaveyou) that were shared with his bro, but that he never shared dreams apart from this one instance.

Just to try and head off any questions, he wasn't particularly close to his twin (speak 5-6 times a year on the phone, see each other annually and the like) and they live maybe 80 miles apart.

Now, John seemed quite relaxed about the whole thing, passing it off as just another one of those things that twins do. I however can think of no explanation whatsoever for this mechanism to occur as we currently understand consciousness. Has anyone got any similar stories or thoughts on the above?

I had a friend in college. . .

A friend of mine in college claimed to appear in other people's dreams, or they'd show up in her dreams, and the other person would remember it being the same dream.

As an example, she dreamed that she met a friend in a dream, and in the dream they had a conversation. When meeting the friend the next day, the friend would say that she was in their dream, where they'd find that the dream was identical.

I do have to admit, that I did dream about her one time (not THAT way), and when I saw her next, did not outright mention it, but did hint at it. (I think I mentioned in the dream that we'd talk about it next time we met) She didn't make any mention of her being in my dream/ me being in her dream. So it might be a hit and miss type of thing.

Dreams. . . still a mystery in many levels.

Thanks for the story HeadNSpace, almost exactly what i was after.

Many psychologists, philosophers and other esteemed members of society have made reference to "collective unconsciousness", Jung being the most famous.

His interpretation of the stratas of our psyches has many fascinating ideas attached, the realms of egos and archetypes.
He is also one of my favourite philosophers, owing to his inclination for studying and embracing the religious and mythological.

I have found an interesting site that aims to study this phenomenon in more detail. It's here

I shall register, log a dream or two and report back any findings.

Maybe i'll meet some of you there?:)

did anything ever come of that?

I just came across this thread and it reminded me of a dream that I shared with another person. Never had that sort of thing happen before, and never since. The dreams weren't identical, some structures were different, e.g where I saw a jetty, the other person saw a bridge. But despite this the dreams were very similar: we both dreamed we were going to London with the other, met up with a friend on a hill, walked down hill to waterside, walked onto jetty/bridge, talked to each other while watching strange creatures moving about in the water. There was more but this was about four years or so ago, so the details are less than clear in my head. I remember being very impressed at the time though!

I once freaked out some friends at Uni by telling them I could walk into their dreams etc. Naturally, they all pooh poohed it - however, by continually suggesting this, eventually, someone had a dream with me in it and got freaked out - thus a reputation was built. It was a psych experiment on my behalf - I found it interesting to note that many features of peoples' dreams are very similar and that many people are very open to suggestion. Perhaps, we should try an experiment on this thread - I assume that nobody here knows anyone else well? What do people think?

sounds like an interesting idea, how would you enact it?

I know I am preety open to suggestion, I dreamed about the superbowl last night and I don't even know what the superbowl is...

A superbowl is what I need to cope with the effects of the laxatives I've just been on... :(

(Sorry about that, but the Poo! thread seems to have disappeared! 8) )

:rofl:

I shall never think of "superbowl" in the same way again.

light said:
did anything ever come of that?

Not as much as i would have hoped. I logged a couple of my dreams (at least two versions of the one recurring dream i have nigh-on-constantly), and then had a good old explore.

The ability to search key words (love, loss, death, flying etc) was pretty good, and led me down a few paths I wouldn't normally have considered. Sort of like following the links at the bottom of E2 threads.

To my shame i hadn't been back there until some poor soul exhumed this thread a few days ago. It seems like a fair few people have added their tuppen'uth in my absence...

I have a friend who I call mum because of the sriking simularities between us both physically and in life experiences thoughts and deeds. She is often heard to utter, " you and I are so alike...so much so...If only you knew how much"
I usually reply youre my mum of course were alike :D
Her son is my best mate who I refere to as my brother and her daughter and I look like twins. So much so that when we held our end of moot bash and had on a projector pictures from the previous 5 years no one knew who was who out of the two of us.
Mum is really into egyptology as a visit to her home would confirm.
So when I had a dream that the Norman Castle behind my home was infact a pyramid, she was the first person I called.
Myself and I think 3 other people had found an entrance into the pyramid which after a few tunnels etc led to a vast almost empty room. The only thing in the room other than many other small doorways was a plain stone sarcophagus.
Inside this was a mummy, wrapped in blue, with plain painted on eyes, nose and mouth. part of one of the legs was missing as if it had been removed for research.
There was what in my dream seemed to be the 4 letter name of a female on the mummy, written as if in two sets of two letters. There was something else that remains unclear to me that kept me thinking " crocodile, maiden" or somthing like that. After trting to read other transcriptions upon this mummy my attention was drawn to the sand on the floor which seemed to be both sand and gold dust.
I recounted this dream to my mum who was silent until I had finished. She asked me a few questions then said it was uncanny and she would speak more deeply about this when we next saw each other. But suggested to me that she too had had the same experience.
Since then I have been embroidering one of the images for her from the mummy. So will see what transpires from this when next we meet, as long as the embroidery is finished. There is a feather which I had chosen to sew into the embroidery that I had in one of many boxes of arty junk that seemed the perfect shape size and colour for my requirements. When I showed my brother on our usual monday meet up he reminded me where this feather had come from. It had been one of mums birds "pan" whilst he was still alive. Though Pan had actually passed over about 3 years ago.

There was a really interesting case that was studied during the earliest days of modern psychical research (that is, the late 1860s). A New England attorney dreamed that he was set upon and murdered by a thug on the street. The lawyer saw that three or four of friends were racing to his defense, but they were too late to save him.

Over the next several weeks he met these friends, who were converned for his safety, since they'd ALL dreamed they'd seen him being killed. They were with people who were strangers to them but who they somehow knew were also friends of the attorney.

Moreover, all these friends remembered the ORDER in which they approached the scene; that is, who was in front of them or behind. All the accounts agreed with each other as well as with the attorney's own memory of his dream.

since having had the dream that I shared with my mum I have been able to look deeper into what the connections with this dream might suggest.
I drew pictures of what I saw in the dream, the stone encasing around the mummy, the room it was in, the plinth like seat that sat in the corner near a hidden door that you where only aware of when you were upon it....

The images match that of mums dream that she had and had had before where the same tomb seemed new over 30 years ago.

the legs of the mummy were missing in my dream and the pyramid was in the position of where the castle museum is, behind where I live.

in the dream whilst inspecting the mummy, it looked as if the legs had been taken for some sort of testing, and not neatly removed either.

A friend of mine came over the night before last anf I asked him about the mummy(s) at the museum

turns out the mummy on display is missing her legs because theyre were taken to america to be tested on when there was discussion that she may have had some unknown skin disease.
these were never returned to her.
She was a temple singer
im waiting to find out her name which is known to the staff at the castle.

For what its worth, I used to sing proffesionally but did not like the lifestyle or performing so only sing now and then for weddings etc now.
Or if a night in my pub needs a little push.
Ive been booked in to do a funeral, when the time comes, by the brother of the groom whos wedding I sang at a few months ago...

When I was about 12 I used to dream about living in an eight-sided wooden mansion.

Upon describing these dreams to my Mom she revealed that she'd dreamed of what was apparerntly the same building when she'd been a girl.

Later we independently discovered photographs of the house of our dreams - the Longwood Mansion in Mississippi.

The construction of the Longwood Mansion was interrupted by the Civil War and the structure was never completed. It is a hollow shell inside, with only the first (ground) floor finished.

My mother's memory of her dreams was that the house was indeed complete, with upper storeys, but that she was strictly forbidden to venture any higher than the first (ground) floor

"I'll See You in My Dreams"

Isham Jones' great 1920s hit song "I'll See You in My Dreams" was obviously based on the idea of concurrent dreaming.

Jones' orchestra made the first instrumental version, while the first vocal was cut a few weeks later by my beloved Marion Harris (Mary Ellen Harrison, 1896-1944).

Actually the lyrics were written by Gus Kahn (he sez without checking).

It occurs to me that some and perhaps many reported episodes of concurrent or shared dreams may be nothing more than two people independently dreaming of the same thing.

For example, if Sam and Mary Jones both dream they are out grocery shopping together, and they have already made plans to go grocery shopping on the morrow, there's probably no good reason to look for a paranormal explanation.

On the other hand, if they both dream that the Hindenburg crashes in flames onto the supermarket parking lot....

Back