• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Constantine / Hellblazer

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I'll confess I was rather less than taken with the idea of Keanu Reaves playing John Constantine, but a peek at imdb is showing some rather interesting casting oherwise, particularly with Tilda Swinton as (presumably the angel) Gabriel and Peter Stormare as the devil:

IMDB Entry

I'm not sure if the credit as Satan means they didn't want to pay the rights for Gaiman's cocktail piano playing Lucifer from the Hellblazer/Sandman crossover stories, which would be unfortunate, or maybe just not the directors vision for this movie.

Download of the 'international' trailer here:

International Trailer

And the official website here, most of which is 'coming soon', though there's a different trailer and a few other downloads:

http://constantinemovie.warnerbros.com/

Ok, could someone tell me how to get the links so that you can click on a bit of text rather than the full stonking URL? It was so easy with the 'link' button that we used to have.

I'll edit the above once I find out, 'cos the URLs are freaking the page width, at least on my machine:(

Edit: Ok, thanks for the PM, I've got it now:)

I'm afraid it doesn't look good for the Constantine film, here's some early reviews and some links to the comic adaption.

More Constantine Reviews Roll In
Source: Superhero Hype! December 28, 2004

It looks like Warner Bros. is testing Constantine, the Hellblazer graphic novel adaptation starring Keanu Reeves, over the holidays as we've received two more reviews from folks who got a chance to check out the movie yesterday. First up is 'Duche':

They had a screening of Constantine up here in Park City Utah last night. It's sort of a mix between The Exorcist and The Matrix with a touch of those George Burn's Oh God movies thrown in for effect (I'm being sarcastic because of the fact that some of the angels and demons in this film dress in suits).

The special effects are terrific but the story needed a lot more work and Keanu Reeves looked like he was sleepwalking during the entire film. He's a good actor with great range but he looked bored and the character he was playing really added nothing to the movie other than to be a miserable and depress prick that you'll end up not liking at all.

There is a scene where he's trying to plead his case to the angel Gabriel about his efforts to get into heaven but you end up laughing at him instead of having sympathy for what he's going though because of how contradictory his attitude is with the people and the world around him. He's what we call in church a part time catholic, which means that his all righteous when he's in church and a bastard when he's out. I think what the makers of this film were trying to do was to create a character that was conflicted in his role in the battle between good and evil but the characterization of John Constantine was not handled well and the character just looks like he's only out for himself. The character of Angela played by the wonderful Rachel Weisz is actually a much better character than Keanu's and would have been a better lead as well if you had a smart screenwriter (Which this film does not) Djmon Hounsou is also very good as Papa Midnight and I found his character also more integral to the story than Keanu's. At least you knew where he was coming from and he had a more lively personality than the bored stiff composure of Keanu's John Constantine and Peter Stormare gives a lively yet somewhat campy turn as Satan. The ending is ok but the revelation concerning a character is not well done because of the fact that we only see that character for about five minutes in the film and you don't end up surprise one bit once you find out because you don't really know much about that character in the first place. My hats off to Rachel Weisz, Djmon Hounsou, and Peter Stormare for giving their best efforts to this movie but there should have been a better screenplay for them to work with and Keanu Reeves should have had a character who supported his talent other than a character that was so completely underwritten that you don't have a clue on who he really is.

'Wendy' also writes:

I just came back from a screening of the new Keanu Reeves clunker called Constantine up here in San Monica California. I'm a fan of the comic and I wanted to keep an open mind but the movie was a real wasted of time, and some of the effect look really cheesy in parts of the film. Keanu Reeves is not John Constantine and no matter how many cigarettes he smokes and how big his trench coat is, he still not John Constantine. He acts more like Archie Bunker than the sorcerer we all know and love who likes to add more fuel to the fire in the battle between good and evil. Rachel Weisz,Gavin Rossdale(Yes, the same man who is married to Gwen Stefani)and Djmon Hounsou were the only actors in this pile of wasted celluloid that actually turn in good performances. They at least looked like they actually gave a damn about what they were making while Keanu, the director and the scriptwriters seem like they had no idea on what they were trying to put across. Certain scenes in the film were just way too dark to take notice on what is going on from time to time and most of the dialog ranges from corny to so-so. The movie wants to make a statement about heaven, hell and the human sprit that is struggling in-between but the subject matter was not handled with care and it felt like it was watered down in order to commercialize this film to the brainless masses who can't really think for themselves (Dare I say the religious right?) If you are going to tackle this kind of subject matter, go for the jugular and pull no punches. Don't take a great comic book and turn it into a supernatural fluff piece that is more in tune to the Left Behind series than of the comic that it was based on. It only hurts the film in the long run and it does.

http://superherohype.com/news.php?id=2386

and the "adaption"

http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/movi ... e_cons.jpg

http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/movi ... _cons2.jpg

http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/movi ... ighter.jpg

http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/movi ... ne_bal.jpg

http://www.insanerantings.com/hell/movi ... ne_gab.jpg

There's more pages online but I have to say that as a fan from his original appearances in Alan Moore's Swamp thing and Ennis and Delano's great runs. Well it aint looking too promising.

(And yes, I am an unrepentant comics nerd but I do think that this is going to be one of those comics adaptions that deserve the critical kicking. There's also talk of a V for Vendetta adaption. Sweet Jeebus!)

unclebob said:
I'm afraid it doesn't look good for the Constantine film, here's some early reviews and some links to the comic adaption.

The special effects are terrific but the story needed a lot more work and Keanu Reeves looked like he was sleepwalking during the entire film. He's a good actor with great range but he looked bored and the character he was playing really added nothing to the movie other than to be a miserable and depress prick that you'll end up not liking at all.

Face it. Things started to look less than rosy for this movie when it left casting.

Keanu Reeves? Can he do irony, sarcasm, cynicism, or cheeky charm? I don't think so!

James Marsters (Spike) would have been great, considerably cheaper and he'd have pulled in just the right Buffy/Angel crowd that love this sort of stuff.

Sad.

AndroMan said:
Keanu Reeves? Can he do irony, sarcasm, cynicism, or cheeky charm? I don't think so!

"Whoa!"

Such verve, such pathos.

The folk on the message board where I picked up that review from generally got to the part where the review said that Keeno was "A good actor with great range." and then gave up reading.

That and the fact that the lad Reeves has apparently said that he hasn't read any of the comics either. That tends to irk the funny book reading folks like myself.

Yeah, don't know whether I'm looking forward to this or not. Probably not.

I know Reeves is a plank, and there are other actors who would have made a better fist of it (Gary Oldman? maybe a bit old now...), but considering Alan Moore wanted Sting to play Constantine, we might be getting off lightly.

Need I remind anyone of his big plastic action man pants in Dune?
:err:

Might be one to save till I'm drunk, this.

James Masters definitely would have made a brilliant Constantine.

Isn't Constantine a blonde Scouser, anyway? I'm only really aware of him through the Sandman stories. Anyone care to give me the low-down?

Yes - I noticed the "good actor with great range". Does he even know who Keanu Reeves is?

I've never forgiven Canoe for screwing up probably one of the best baddies in Shakespeare, in Much Ado About Nothing. He so obviously doesn't understand a bloody word that's being said. :roll:

Constantine was indeed a blonde Scouser who moved down to London as a teenager. He's a self proclaimed "nasty piece of work" and has a tendency to sacrafice friends to save his own/the world's arse from dangerous magical happenings.

Marsters would have worked better than Keeno but there's a part of me that wanted to see a Brit play the part of anti-hero rather than the well worn baddie path. As I said, the comics geek part of me has taken over when it comes to this film.

If anyone ever gets bored of the relatively urbane, sophisticated level of most contributions to this here geek Board, go and immerse yourselves in the comedy that is the IMDB message boards.

The one for Constantine is priceless.

This chap has started a thread in which he vents his spleen at the fact the producers made Constantine a west-coast Yank rather than a London-based Scouser, and someone else chips in that most people wouldn't get why this is annoying, cos they don't know Liverpudlian mentality. Clearly the same would apply to him, however, as it soon emerges that he and his pal think Liverpool is in Wales, the first guy ticking someone off for calling Liverpudlians British. They aren't British you see, because Liverpool is in Wales, not Britain, Britain being that slight bigger country with London in it that Scotland and Wales share a border with. I think he believes England is the name of the whole lot put together. It's top because he's obviously trying to be all Celtic and authentic, but ends up being more offensive to Scousers and Welshman than you'd think possible.

It's almost as much fun as listening to someone from Boston who thinks he can argue Northern Irish politics cos his surname is Kelly or something.

It's ace!

But this is my favourite contribution so far:

so eat my mother *bleep*ing *bleep* you *bleep* sucking bunch of mother basement living, hideously zit faced, comic book losers.

http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt0360486/ ... t/14856053

Blimey! It gets even more deranged further down, when someone decides that as the British film industry apparently only makes two movies a year, all the moaning Limey Eurofags should shut up, because America is great so there (paraphrasing wildly, you understand)!

Personally, I think Sean Bean would've made a good Constantine - he's probably around the same age as the comic character, would look the part with a spiky blond hairdo, and could probably pull off a decent Liverpudlian accent, despite his extreme Yorkshireness (and it's not as if the majority of US filmgoers would know the difference anyway).

Just another example of Hollywood taking something good and comprehensively buggering it up... One of the best things about Hellblazer was its grimly seedy British atmosphere, which was miles away from the "fog, tea 'n' crumpets" image that that usually crops up whenever the US comic giants turn their attention to our little island. Using British artists for the early years helped maintain some accuracy too, though I remember being amused when Ron Tiner took over for a while, one of his issues featuring a distinctly US-looking fire engine as well as a policeman who seemed to have been on his way to a Victorian-themed fancy dress party!

Johnnyboy said:
Personally, I think Sean Bean would've made a good Constantine - he's probably around the same age as the comic character, would look the part with a spiky blond hairdo, and could probably pull off a decent Liverpudlian accent, despite his extreme Yorkshireness (and it's not as if the majority of US filmgoers would know the difference anyway).

As I was reading the increasingly deranged thread I had the same thought.

I'm not as worried about transposing the story from the UK to the US (the same thing happened to Candyman) as some people are, it just that they could have chosen sllightly less wooden as the lead.

Does anyone know anything about the bloke who's playing Chas Chandler? He looks about 10. Hellblazer meets The Wonder Years. And I bet everyone calls Keanu Constanteen ...

Was rather perplexed to find Alan Moore now proclaiming himself a magician and allegedly refusing all money due from any movies after the crapness of From Hell & LEG. Surely he's talking out of his probably hairy arse - with the cash from Constantine plus (I'm seriously dreading it already) V for Vendetta - he'd be laughing!

03/02/2005 - 9:13:28 AM

Keanu trained with exorcist

Hollywood star Keanu Reeves today said he trained with an exorcist for his latest film Constantine, and he was relieved that no supernatural forces plagued the movie set.

“There were no paranormal events that took place on the film that I know of. Thank God!” said Reeves, 40, who plays the title character in Constantine – a man who battles to send demons back to hell.

He described his character as a “world-weary” and “nihilistic guy with a heart of gold”.

Adapted from a DC Comics series, the film will have its world premiere in Hong Kong on Tuesday – 10 days before its opening in the United States.

"I went with an exorcist for a bit. I just want to know really practical things, like how do you hold someone possessed by the devil," said Reeves, visiting Hong Kong for the first time.

Reeves said he was excited to be there, but had not had time to see the city.

“I haven’t had a chance to, but looking out of the window, it looks pretty extraordinary out there,” Reeves said.

The star of action thrillers The Matrix and Speed said his latest role also made him less sceptical about the existence of hell.

“Constantine kind of knows it’s fact. So I guess if I had any doubts before, I probably have a little few less doubts now,” he said.

Reeves said he enjoyed playing the saviour-like characters in The Matrix and Constantine.

“They are pretty classic Western hero myths stories. They are fun to play. They offer something for people to think about,” he said.

Asked how he felt about receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Reeves said: “It was a great honour for me. I just hope to be able to continue the journey and continue to make films I am interested in and that people like.”

Source

Again, I admit I have limited knowledge of Constantine, but I didn't think he could be described as 'saviour' or 'with a heart of gold'. :?:

I thought he was a bit more professional about it. You know, if you've got demons running all around the cellar, who you gonna call?

Dear Christ on his cross of gold, even his interviews are bland!

Went to see Constantine yesterday, and ... actually ... it wasn't all that bad (absolutely can't believe it).

Lots of cheesiness abounded, the plot was awful (but I'm so innured to that fault thanks to so much Argento/Fulci ballacks that I don't really notice nowadays), and Lucifer was played as a cross between Hannibal Lecter and Noel Coward, but apart from that, it was okay. Keanu even got to give Lucifer the finger!

There was a very gaylord bit with John running around with a machine loaded with dragons breath but that was the only out and out cringey bit. Oh, and the very final scene was super pants actually.

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/reeves encounter with the devil
REEVES' ENCOUNTER WITH THE DEVIL

Hollywood KEANU REEVES' most terrifying real-life motorbike experience occurred when he pulled up alongside a car - and noticed a Satan-like figure in the driver's seat.

The actor - who has confronted the supernatural in a fictional sense in films like DEVIL'S ADVOCATE and CONSTANTINE - recalls with horror the moment he starred into the face of true evil.

He says, "I was on my motorbike when I drew up alongside a car at an intersection. I looked over at this guy and I was like, 'Oh, my f**king God!'

"I was looking at the darkest thing - I was looking at darkness. I felt like I had looked at a wraith, like I'd looked at the devil."

27/02/2005 14:36
Selling movies is devilishly hard. ;)

:rofl:

Well, if God rides a Ducati, it makes sense that Satan drives a Volvo!

You know, with all this, I forget ; is it ConstanTEEN, or ConstanTYNE?

I just watched The Making of on MTV. I read the Hellblazer compilation I bought yesterday (what a rip-off!). And I dunno - it looks fairly crap, to be honest. Which is disappointing, because I just know I'm going to end up seeing it anyway.

Keanu is one step away from saying 'Dude'. You can just hear it, non-verbalised. It's appalling. :cry:

In the comics it's constantyne but in the movie it's constanteen. Swines.

I've heard both ways so often, I'd forgotten which was 'correct'.

I thought ConstanTEEN sounded odd... :?

Picked up a couple of the Garth Ennis run graphic novels that I previously only had in comics yesterday - was amused to see new stickers on the front claiming these are "the graphic novels that inspired the new movie Constantine".

I don't think anything about the movie suggested "inspiration" was a factor.

Was sad to pick up the Rare Cuts collection and discover it's rubbish. It's only rare in terms of not having been turned into a collection already; even if they'd included the one Neil Gaiman HB story it would've perhaps deserved the title.

Jamie Delano must've been on PCP by the time he was writing anything after the first ten comics or so, and the Grant Morrison ones are really wishy washy, although the Garth Ennis story is up to his usual daftness. It's only redeeming feature is that one of the Delano stories fills in what exactly happened in Newcastle all those years ago, which is what defined the real John Constantine (rather than the wimpy cop out sixth sense rip off explanation in the movie).

I want to know about Newcastle! Something about a 9 year old girl, was it?

I'm now going to spend a small fortune collecting the other Constantine books. Not fair!

It's worth it though :D

Well, apart from the Brian Azzarello stuff, but that's just me.

And yep, Newcastle's all about a little girl (nine or 11, can't remember) called Astra. It's great stuff!

My favourite Hellblazer stories are the crashed spitfire and forgotten terrace house ones...

AndroMan said:
James Marsters (Spike) would have been great, considerably cheaper and he'd have pulled in just the right Buffy/Angel crowd that love this sort of stuff.

You're right, he would've been perfect. Damn, what a wasted opportunity.

Back