• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Contactees

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Although often dismissed, or not given any coverage, by "serious" UFO investigators, I find contactee cases the most interesting bits of the field of UFOlogy.
So, for instance, while George Adamski almost certainly didn't go to Venus, was he lying, was he hallucinating, and so on. If either of these, what factors would cause him to lie/hallucinate the whole lot? Desire for attention?
Ok, well I know that's not a lot to go on, but what do people think?

I agree. Sometimes the sociology related to a phenomena is more interesting than the phenomena. Look at penis panics and ninja monkeymen for instance.

With contactees, I've always suspected that many of these people were being manipulated -- possibly by mundane intelligence agencies. The CIA's admitted to using UFO reports as a smokescreen for actual reconissance overflights. The Soviets weren't above letting their citizens believe they saw a flying saucer rather than a poisionous fuel dump from a spy satellite launch. And I'm sure I recently heard about the CIA/FBI having investigative files open on groups such as contactee groups to ascertain whether they were dangerous communist fifth-columnists -- with all that talk of global thinking and sharing and such.

I'm sure that some diligent investigation could at the very least turn up some interesting cold-war machinations.

I've got a timothy good book with a great contactee story from the 1920s in it, I must look for it. I'm also interested in how the story might "stretch back", especially to the obvious candidates like fairies and demons. For instance there's this:
IN the days of Henry Beauclerc of England there was a little lad named Elidore, who was being brought up to be a cleric. Day after day he would trudge from his mother's house, and she was a widow, up to the monks' Scriptorium. There he would learn his A B C, to read it and to write it. But he was a lazy little rogue was this Elidore, and as fast as he learned to write one letter, he forgot another ; so it was very little progress he was making. Now when the good monks saw this they remembered the saying of the Book " Spare the rod and spoil the child," and whenever Elidore forgot a letter they tried to make him remember it with the rod. At first they used it seldom and lightly, but Elidore was not a boy to be driven, and the more they thwacked him the less he learned : so the thwackings became more frequent and more severe, till Elidore could not stand any longer. So one day when he was twelve years old he upped with them and offed with him into the great forest near St. David's. There for two long days and nights he wandered about eating nothing but hips and haws. At last he found himself at the mouth of a cave, at the side of a river, and there he sank down, all tired and exhausted. Suddenly two little pigmies appeared to him and said "Come with us, and we will lead you into a land full of games and sports: " so Elidore raised himself and went with these two; at first through an underground passage all in the dark, but soon they came out into a most beautiful country, with rivers and meadows, woods and plains, as pleasant as can be; only this there curious about it, that the sun never shone and clouds were always over the sky, so that neither sun was seen by day, nor moon and stars at night.

The two little men led Elidore before their king, who asked why and whence he came. Elidore told him, and the king said : "Thou shalt attend on my son," and waved him away. So for a long time Elidore waited on the king's son, and joined in all the games and sports of the little men.

They were little, but they were not dwarfs, for all their limbs were of suitable size one with another. Their hair was fair, and hung upon their shoulders like that of women. They had little horses, about the size of greyhounds ; and did not eat flesh, fowl, or fish, but lived on milk flavoured with saffron. And as they had such curious ways, so they had strange thoughts. No oath took they, but never a lie they spoke. They would jeer and scoff at men for their struggles, lying, and treachery. Yet though they were so good they worshipped none, unless you might say they were worshippers of Truth.

After a time Elidore began to long to see boys and men of his own size, and he begged permission to go and visit his mother. So the King gave him permission so the little men led him along the passage, and guided him through the forest, till he came near his mother's cottage, and when he entered, was not she rejoiced to see her dear son again ? " Where have you been? What have you done?" she cried ; and he had to tell her all that had happened to him. She begged of him to stay with her, but he had promised the King to go back. And soon he returned, after making his mother promise not to tell where he was, or with whom. Henceforth Elidore lived, partly with the little men, and partly with his mother. Now one day, when he was with his mother, be told her of the yellow balls they used in their play, and which she felt sure must be of gold. So she begged of him that the next time he came back to her he would bring with him one of these balls. When the time came for him to go back to his mother again, he did not wait for the little men to guide him back, as he now knew the road. But seizing one of the yellow balls with which he used to play, he rushed home through the passage. Now as he got near his mother's house he seemed to hear tiny footsteps behind him, and he rushed up to the door as quickly as he could. Just as he reached it his foot sJipped, and he fell down, and the ball rolled out of his hand, just to the feet of his mother. At that moment two little men rushed forward, seized the ball and ran away, making faces, and spitting at the boy as they passed him. Elidore remained with his mother for a time; but he missed the play and games of the little men, and determined to go back to them. But when he came to where the cave had been, near the river where the under-ground passage commenced, he could not find it again, and though he searched again and again in the years to come, he could not get back to that fair country. So after a time he went back to the monastery, and became in due course a monk. And men used to come and seek him out, and ask him what had happened to him when he was in the Land of the Little Men. Nor could he ever speak of that happy time without shedding tears.

Now it happened once, when this Elidore was old, that David, Bishop of St. David's, came to visit his monastery and ask him about the manners and customs of the little men, and above all, he was curious to know what language they spoke ; and Elidore told him some of their words. When they asked for water, they would say : Udor udorum; and when they wanted salt, they would say : Hapru udorum. And from this, the Bishop, who was a learned man, discovered that they spoke some sort of Greek. For Udor is Greek for Water, and Hap for Salt.

Hence we know that the Britons came from Troy, being descendants from Brito, son of Priam, King of Troy.
from old Giraldus Cambrensis, a mediaeval source, should you doubt it. There are a few things which ring a bell - the other world, the little almost human entities, the artifact that is given to the contact and the way they get vry angry when he tries to take it home.

...only this there curious about it, that the sun never shone and clouds were always over the sky, so that neither sun was seen by day, nor moon and stars at night.
This is a feature I've read about in Near Death experiences of the afterlife.
Not sure what to make of it, though. Personally, I like the sun and the stars, so I hope my afterlife will be somewhat different!

For many years I believed that Truman Bethurum was one of the very worst of the "fake" 1950s contactees.

But just recently while fooling around with anagrams I realized that most of the letters of Truman's beautiful Venusian space friend "Aura Rhanes" come rather neatly out of the contactee's own name.

So I now suspect that poor Mr. Bethurum had a heat vision out there in the California desert and came face-to-face with the feminine side of his own personality.

I think the most intriguing aspect of Bethurium's story was his final encounter with Aura Rhanes. He claimed that he saw her sitting in a cafe drinking orange juice but she pretended not to know him when he tried to engage her in conversation. It seems an odd sort of thing to make up, and to me it implies that he genuinely was confusing fantasy with reality rather than being an outright liar as I suspect George Adamski was.

(Although I suppose there's an outside chance that his encounter could have been 'staged' by parties unknown as some kind of bizarre psychological experiment. If I remember rightly, he lived quite near Vegas - so perhaps Ms Rhanes was a showgirl hired to play the part of an interplanetary siren?)

One of the accounts I've read of the Bethurium encounter claims that Aura Rhanes spoke only in rhyming couplets, but unfortunately it doesn't give any examples of her dialogue.

Not sure what to make of it, though.

Not sure either, but it's got me wondering now. Do sun/moon/stars ever appear in dreams or sp episodes - i'm thinking along the lines about the theories about lightbulbs not working in dreams because of the brain's perception of uniform brightness in that state, or something like that..?

Not to say that i think all abductee experiences are dreams/sp, but is there common ground there...

graylien said:
One of the accounts I've read of the Bethurium encounter claims that Aura Rhanes spoke only in rhyming couplets, but unfortunately it doesn't give any examples of her dialogue.

Perhaps we could run this list that way -
Using rhyming couplets for all we say?

Orfeo Angelucci

Another contactee who I suspect was more or less sincere was Orfeo Angelucci. As even a skeptical friend of mine phrased it, "How could you go through life named 'Orfeo Angelucci' and NOT have visions?"

Carl Jung seems to have also been impressed with Angelucci's sincerity.

BlackRiverFalls said:
....theories about lightbulbs not working in dreams because of the brain's perception of uniform brightness in that state....

I was just sitting here trying to recall a specific example of using electric lights in dreams - and, yes, I recalled searching through a very dark church basement with a trouble light.

BRF & OTR :
There's already a thread on THAT!

(Sorry, for some reason my thread derail tolerance is on hair trigger here!)

Philo_T said:
(Sorry, for some reason my thread derail tolerance is on hair trigger here!)

Gee, it MUST be. And here I was going to ask you if you were an admirer of Mr. Farnsworth. Glad I kept my big mouth shut. <g> But, hey, thanks much for the link!

*goes down and hides in the far back corner of the old coal cellar*

Back on Topic

To get back on-topic, two contactees who've always puzzled me are Dan Fry and George Van Tassel.

Why would Fry, an expert instrument-maker employed by White Sands Proving Grounds in the borning years of the Space Race, throw over that employment in order to "fake" encounters with a saucernaut named "A-Lan" and then spend the rest of his long life proclaiming the gospel of the "Space Brothers" to an ever-dwindling number of followers? God only knows how far Fry might have risen in NASA by 1957 or 1969 had he remained with his original employment.

And George Van Tassel, author of I RODE A FLYING SAUCER, was a respected aircraft production engineer who had a first-name relationship with Howard Hughes, before he tossed all that over to hold penny-ante saucer conventions out in the California desert.

Why? They sure as heck didn't do it for the big bucks!

Really? "A-Lan"? "Alan the Alien"?

Sorry. That just seems a bit...odd.

Re: Back on Topic

OldTimeRadio said:
Why? They sure as heck didn't do it for the big bucks!

Delusions of grandeur, perhaps? After all, both sought to seek some special attention for having the experiences that they claimed to have. IMHO, contactees do on the whole tend to have a self-absorbed streak - that they're special and have a special message to put across, that they're the sole ambassadors with the space people, etc.. Perhaps their jobs, status, etc. didn't provide enough ego assertion.

Really? "A-Lan"? "Alan the Alien"?

Sorry. That just seems a bit...odd.

Was this the case where the alien popped out of the saucer and said, in colloquial english: "Better not touch the hull, pal - it's hot."

This thing is, the idea of an alien speaking such english is so dumb as to be almost believable. After all, if you were going to make up a UFO story, you would not have your alien call you 'pal' - which makes me wonder if Mr. Fry really did encounter something odd that day.

I'm also interested in how the story might "stretch back", especially to the obvious candidates like fairies and demons.

A woman i work with has just finished doing her MA in medeival literature, so i asked her about this earlier today.

She brought up the story of Sir Orpheo, which is apparantly the english version of the Orpheus and the Underworld myth, in which Orpheo's wife falls asleep under a tree at mid-day (she assures me that within the context of this type of story, this is a very unwise thing to do) and gets 'abducted' by fairies.

Sir Orpheo and the Fairies

I wonder too if the 'hollow hills' concept of fairyland is another link with the absense of sun/moon/stars i.e. in this version there is no sky at all...

Many of the Contactees seemed to have a bit of a thing about awarding themselves fake titles. Adamski liked to be known as Professor Adamski, Daniel Fry assumed the title of "Dr Fry" and claimed to be a "leading space scientist", while 'Dr' George King collected titles like some people collect beermats.

I don't think Truman Bethurium ever claimed to be anything he wasn't, though.

Thanks BRF

Another contactee i find interesting is woodrow derenberger, although I've only read about him in the mothman prophecies. Once again, it's the most absurd parts of the story which render it almost believable.

Not only that, but A-Lan's very first words to the Earthman upon landing were "Don't touch the hull, buddy - it's still hot."

You gotta love that!

rynner said:
...only this there curious about it, that the sun never shone and clouds were always over the sky, so that neither sun was seen by day, nor moon and stars at night.
Not sure what to make of it, though. Personally, I like the sun and the stars, so I hope my afterlife will be somewhat different!

This sounds like the shadowy world known as Sheol.

graylien said:
Many of the Contactees seemed to have a bit of a thing about awarding themselves fake titles. Adamski liked to be known as Professor Adamski....

For as little use as I had for George Adamski I never begrudged him his title of "professor."

Adamski may have taught absolute nonsense but he had upwards of 50,000 students and THEY called him "professor."

That's what the word "professor" MEANS.

A little curio here, I was looking for something else entirely and came across this in the TIME magazine archive. A book review from a less cynical era.

Monday, Feb. 14, 1955
Meeting on the Moor

FLYING SAUCER FROM MARS (153 pp.)—Cedric Allingham—Brifish Book Centre ($2.75).

Simply sighting flying saucers is out of date—the big spin now is to spot them landing and to hobnob with their interplanetary passengers. Pioneer yarn-spinner among the neo-Münchausen breed is George Adamski, a self-described Southern California "philosopher, student, teacher, saucer researcher" and former short-order cook who claimed (in last year's Flying Saucers Have Landed) that he stood beside a saucer on the California desert in November 1952 and talked (telepathically) with a tanned, short visitor from Venus.

The book was followed by a rash of reports about tiny red Martians tumbling out beside an Italian farmhouse, a long-legged, long-haired spaceman chasing two Norwegian milkmaids across a field, and little green men landing in France wearing plastic helmets, orange corsets or Cellophane wrappers. Now a 32-year-old British thrilier-writer, amateur stargazer and bird watcher named Cedric Allingham reveals that he bumped into a six-foot Martian last Feb. 18 on a lonely Scottish moor not far from where the Loch Ness monster used to sport.

In Flying Saucer from Mars Author Allingham even prints photographs of the Martian, looking very like a crofter with galluses flapping, and (separately) of his saucer, which has circular portholes, three-ball landing gear and a shiny dome with a rod sticking up from it.

Birding Author. As Allingham tells it, he was out watching for rare birds that afternoon when a 50-ft. saucer skimmed right past his camera to land beside him, and this tall fellow hopped out. The stranger, Allingham says, looked just like any North Briton except for a "forehead higher than that of any man I know." When Allingham sketched a sun with planets orbiting round it on a pad, he says, the visitor smiled and pointed to the fourth planet and then to his own space-suited figure. That clearly placed his home on Mars.

The Martian lost no time popping a political question. He wanted to know, says Allingham ("Needless to say I could not understand his words, but his gestures were clear enough"), whether the Earth people would start another war. Allingham says he was only able to shrug hopefully in reply. After indicating that he had visited both Venus and the Moon says Allingham, the Martian also asked if Earthmen would soon reach the Moon. When Allingham nodded, the Martian's broad brow clouded up. "And who can blame them?" asks the author. "We have not yet proved ourselves fit to rule our own planet, let alone visit others and perhaps influence their affairs." Soon after, reports Allingham, the Martian popped back into his saucer and sped off to space.

Yearning Readers. England's eagerest astronauts, the slide-rule devotees of the British Interplanetary Society, hoot at the book's "scientific" label. Politely, they suggest that Author Allingham has a highly susceptible imagination or that somebody has elaborately hoaxed him. But Allingham, now undergoing lung treatment at a Swiss sanatorium, cares little if critics point out that saucer pictures have been faked in the past with lampshades, garbage-can covers and trapshooting targets tossed in the air. Such books as his apparently answer a deep and widespread yearning for marvels.

In the past year Adamski's Flying Saucers Have Landed, with its airy gabble of telepathy and levitation and its photographs of saucers, has sold 65,000 copies in the U.S. and 40,000 in England. Adamski saucer-fan clubs have sprung up across the land, and his readers are flocking to hear him talk of the heavenly spheres ("Let us welcome the men from the other worlds—they are here among us") and peer through his two telescopes. Allingham's new book is a worthy successor to Flying Saucers Have Landed

....Allingham, now undergoing lung treatment at a Swiss sanatorium....

Allingham supposedly "died" within a few weeks or months of the book's publication. But wasn't it revealed years later that Allingham had never existed in the first place and had merely been a pseudonym of British astrononer Patrick Moore?

graylien said:
I think the most intriguing aspect of Bethurium's story was his final encounter with Aura Rhanes. He claimed that he saw her sitting in a cafe drinking orange juice but she pretended not to know him when he tried to engage her in conversation.

A scene from a yet-to-be-made David Lynch film?

I've often thought the great maverick would be the perfect choice to adapt contactee narratives for the silver screen.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to read the works/narratives of contactees as having some kinship with the products of "folk artists". In both cases motivations are often murky and unclear (even to the "creators" themselves).

Small Town Monsters have uploaded a documentary about George Adamski to YouTube. There is a second part in the pipeline.

Goldie Hawn: ‘An alien touched me and it felt like the finger of God’

Goldie claims that, rather than being ambushed by little green men, she had in fact asked aliens to visit her – and they did.

Screenshot-2023-10-26-133525-facf-e1698323812941.png

The star, now 77, revealed the incident happened in her 20s, when she was living in California at a time where there were ‘a lot of UFO sightings.’

She said she called out to any aliens listening, saying she knows ‘we’re not alone, and I would like to meet you one day.’

And just four months later, she was settling down for a nap in a friend’s car while working as a dancer, and heard a ‘high frequency’ in her ear.

She claims she then saw three ‘triangular-shaped heads’, silver in colour with a ‘tiny little nose,’ no ears and ‘a slash for a mouth.’

The aliens ‘were pointing at me … discussing me like I was a subject.’

She says she was unable to move, but that the aliens ‘touched me and it felt like the finger of God.’

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/26/gold...touched-her-in-very-close-encounter-19724665/

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back