• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Contacts From Departed (Deceased) Pets

i've had similar experiences.

my cat was hit by a car last year when i was away for the night, before i found out i suddenly found myself very depressed for no known reason. then i got home the next morning and forgot.

i had several dreams where it seemed like he'd come back, and there were a few times where i woke up feeling his weight on my bed where he always used to sleep.

was it my mind wanting too much?

was it my cat from beyond the grave?

one or the other or both or neither.

faldor, that is very strange, because that is that is so similar to my experience. my boyfriend who was especially close to our belated kitty at one point the night he went missing suddenly felt sick and started shaking quite badly. it passed but as i said, i then had a dream where my cat was at the door and i held him for a last time.

i still find it incredibly hard to talk about. he was my first cat since i moved from my parents house and we loved him so much. it was one of the most horrendous things that has ever happened to me, his loss still affects me now.

i also still get the occasional visit frm him, at no particularly significant point, just sometimes i suddenly feel him running along into my mind and saying hello. i probably sound a bit nuts but i am not really bothered :) i am very touched by the fact he still makes contact.

i dont think it is my mind wanting it too much to be true, but that is more instinctive than proveable :)

toodles

~*minky*~

Well, it sort of sounds like you are experiencing normal grief for the loss of your cat and then proceeding to externalize it. I know I'd probably feel the same way if my cat died (Hope it never happens - he's my best friend!).

But, then again, cats are strange creatures. They sort of exist half in half out of this world at the best of times. it wouldn't surprise me if your cat was trying to make contact...

I wish I'd found this thread several weeks ago when our cat Sasha died. I was so desperate. This thread would have helped. I used to sneak downstairs at night when everyone else was asleep, and go online searching for 'cat spirit' sites, hoping to find some comfort. I was grief wracked. I desperately wanted Sasha to come back, even if only for a second.

Yet when our little dog died several years ago, I was (I realise now) really strong and right-thinking. I loved that dog like one of the children, but I was able to hold the family together and encourage them to let our dog go so that he could have some peace and a rest, instead of holding him back with our grief. Even when I felt an inexplicable warm spot at the end of the bed where he used to sit, I mentally told our little dog not to worry about us but to move on now and we'd join him soon enough. I cared more for our dog's peace of mind and spiritual progress than I did about my own needs. I don't know why I wasn't able to be as selfless about Sasha.

We adopted Sasha when she was 10 and she was with us for six years. I simply intended to give her all possible security, comfort and love during her remaining years, to make up for the horrible life she'd had before she came to us. We'd never had a cat before. Before Sasha came into our lives, we believed we were 'dog people'. Sasha wasn't a cuddly cat. We suspected it was because she'd never been given much affection in the years before we knew her. She liked to be left alone, although she was affectionate in her own way, on her terms, which we respected. We never knew when we were going tto receive a claw in the hand for patting her, but we did so anyway and in time, she relaxed. She liked being stroked and brushed -- or at least she tolerated it. And she made sure she sought each of us out individually each day for a short while, to spend a bit of private time with us. She had some lovely little ways.

Sasha loved my daughter the most, out of the four of us, and spent most of her time on my daughter's bed. She told me she was dying though -- warned me -- a month before there were any signs, so that I could prepare my daughter. And for two nights before she died, Sasha -- sick and weak though she was -- unexpectedly jumped up onto the sofa (forbidden territory for her usually) and made herself comfortable on top of me .. even though I don't think it was all that comfortable for her. But she stayed there, and stared deep into my eyes. She was speaking to me and it was deep, but I'm not sure what the message was, other than perhaps to let me know she liked me more than she usually revealed. It was as surprising as it was touching and I really appreciated it.

I just couldn't let Sasha go. I didn't want to. I wanted her to come back, right or wrong though that may be. I wasn't generous or thinking clearly enough to let her go; let her move on. I tried to contact her mentally and even asked her to appear. I can't explain why I behaved like that. For a couple of weeks I spoke to her as if she was still sitting there on the end of the bed in the morning sun. I wouldn't allow anyone to put anything down on the bed and even silently apologised to her for disturbing her when I made the bed. I couldn't see a photo of her without howling. It occurred to me I was losing my grip, but I didn't care.

But, despite all that, Sasha hasn't popped in to say hello. A few times I've believed I've seen her coming around the corner into the kitchen, but I think it was because I was just used to seeing her in that spot and wanted to believe I was seeing her again. I suppose I thought if I 'saw' her clearly enough in my mind, she'd manifest in reality. A lot of it is worry, I think. I protected her while she was here and just want to know she's ok, wherever she is.

The depth of my grief has taken me by surprise. I've let a lot of it out, but there must be ten times more buried inside. My eyes cry all the time, even when I'm busy or with other people or reading or watching tv. I don't mope around any more or dwell morbidly on Sasha. I've accepted it and am sensible about it now (though still sad) but the tears just slide down the side of my face and I automatically blot them away with a tissue. My nose is always running like a tap in the back of my head -- sort of repressed grief/post nasal drip thing. People ask if I have a cold, so I say I do. It will stop when it's ready I suppose. The strange thing is, I actually feel mostly over it, consciously, but obviously something in my mind is taking longer.

I worried I was losing it, but a few weeks ago my daughter mentioned that one of her uni tutors broke down in class. When she returned, she explained to the class that her cat had died six months ago, and she hadn't managed to get over it. The tutor told my daughter after class that the grief was as painful now as it had been when her cat died, even though she'd expected it to ease. She said she was thinking of taking long-service leave and going on holiday to see if that would help. She said when her mother died, it hadn't been anyway near as long and painful a process. She couldn't understand herself. She said she just feels very depressed, despite her efforts to move on. She doesn't know what to do.

We miss our lovely Sasha. She showed us we are not just 'dog people'. We have a new appreciation of cats now. I hope one day I might catch a glimpse of her. If not, I hope to see her again some day, along with all our other departed pets. And I'm deeply glad for those who are visited by the pets they love.

A poster above questioned if people see pets they didn't particularly care for in life, after death. Apparently so. Years ago, one of the first books about the subject I ever read contained the story of a German couple who had their poodles 'put to sleep' because, they claimed, they couldn't stand the mess and the noise (!) (expletive). The couple claimed that to their great annoyance, the poodles' ghosts continued to annoy them by racing through the house, barking joyously. If memory serves, the story was accompanied by a photo which did contain what appeared to be an almost complete, though wispy, pale coloured poodle accompanied by the rear end of another, against the real-life background of living-room furniture and the German couple, who were seated normally in two separate arm-chairs. Other posters may recognise the story and be able to provide a source ?

This is my first post (my attempts to get onto the forum would make Fort proud). Again6, I just wanted to say how I empathise with your loss, and hope things get better for you soon.

Cats, eh.

Keep smiling. :)

A few years ago I was temporarily living with my parents after returning from overseas. I went up to the tiny cell that was laughingly called my bedroom, opened the door and a cat-shaped blur ran out of the bedroom, past me and down the stairs. I turned to look at it and there was nothing there. The cat-shaped blur wasn't exactly visible, more the impression of a cat running past me, it's very hard to explain. It acted exactly as the house-cat acted when leaving my bedroom.

I went into the bedroom and there was the house-cat, sleeping peacefully on the bed. I would like to think that it was its dream-self that ran past me, maybe having an OBE or something...

Any other cats your parents owned before the one sleeping on your bed?

Yes, plenty! But most of them were never allowed in that room. I just used to let the cat in because I got fed up of it meowing at the door non-stop!

I've posted this in more detail elsewhere, but for completeness one of the most famous cat spirits was the Black Cat of Kilakee.
Upon moving to the house, the art center's employees heard legends from the locals of a huge black cat, legends which dated to 1918. The owner, Margaret O'Brien, did indeed see on several occasions some "big black animal." But it was artist Tom McAssey who had the most famous sighting of the Black cat of Killakee in March, 1968. After the front door had mysteriously unlocked itself, he saw a large black cat lying outside. McAssey said the cat spoke to him, saying "You don't see me." And then, when he tried to lock the door, "Leave this door open." (McAssey painted a picture of the cat, which has an eerily human face.)

We have that picture on here somewhere, don't we? If not, I think I can find it and post it, just to be sure that posters don't sleep sound in their beds! ;)

Yeah - I'll dig it out. here it is, albeit a bit small...

blackcat.gif

I'll see if I can find a larger copy.

SimonBurchell said:
A few years ago I was temporarily living with my parents after returning from overseas. I went up to the tiny cell that was laughingly called my bedroom, opened the door and a cat-shaped blur ran out of the bedroom, past me and down the stairs. I turned to look at it and there was nothing there. The cat-shaped blur wasn't exactly visible, more the impression of a cat running past me, it's very hard to explain. It acted exactly as the house-cat acted when leaving my bedroom.

Ahhh... I lived in a flat above a shop (yes, just like the Pulp song) before I moved to my present home. A big old Victorian-era building and my flat was more like a maisonette in that I had two floors.

One evening, I got up from watching TV and opened the door from the lounge to the hallway when I thought I saw a fuzzy, un-defined shape - something similar to how you have described it (cat or small dog in size) - run from behind my left leg, passing me into the hallway.

I never experienced anything else while I lived in that flat or anything like it since. I didn't have a cat or a dog at the time and I'd last had a cat about two years previous to that incident.

It was fast and it caused me to trip over myself. I was more than slightly stunned and a bit hesitant to go into the hallway but I did and I had to double-check to make sure there wasn't an animal in with me which was a bit pointless as I'd been in the lounge for most of the evening and would have seen or heard something if there was a live animal in with me. One of those times where I don't know if it was just in my mind or maybe something else. Like I say, it felt very real.

stuneville said:

Hey Stu, how about a scary copy?

That's as good as it gets, it seems. Tere used to be a bigger, better resolved one elsewhere on the net, but that seems to have vanished (I'd linked over to it in my first Kilakee post, but that link now brings up a 404 :(.)

If anyone has a paper copy they can scan and send to me I'd be most grateful.

stuneville said:

blackcat.gif

Very solid looking for a Cat Spirit.

Here's a version I found in a book, it's b&w, best I can do at the moment.

scaredycat.jpg

Ah, that's more the ticket. Ta Essy :).

MaxMolyneux said:
Lots of ghosts apparently look solid, Max - that's why you get tales of people who have interacted with them, believing them to be entirely living beings.

MaxMolyneux said:
stuneville said:

blackcat.gif

Cat Spirit? Loks like a cat in a stylish microwave oven to me!

Be fair, my version looks even more crap! :lol:

I like the unretracted claws though. Nice touch. My cat 'All Over The Internet' Jeff has non-retractable claws. Makes the cat-on-the-lap-for-a-cuddle thing an interesting experience. :(

Yup, I did too. The book I found it in may be a later version of that.

SimonBurchell said:

I went into the bedroom and there was the house-cat, sleeping peacefully on the bed. I would like to think that it was its dream-self that ran past me, maybe having an OBE or something...

As an interesting, if sad, postscript to this story, I visited my parents at the weekend and was told that Misty (the cat in question) was put down by the vet on Wednesday after a stroke at the grand old age of 17. On Sunday evening my mother told me that earlier on Sunday she had been sat in the living room, which no cat ever dares to enter because the living room is Dog Territory (my parents have two yappy little dogs that they keep in the living room that pounce upon any cat that they see).

Anyway, my mother was sat in the living room watching the telly, with the living room window open (it opens onto the garden). Out of the corner of her eye she saw Misty jump up onto the windowsill and, forgetting that Misty was dead, thought “Bloody hell, you’re chancing it, jumping up there.” (the window sill is quite low and the dogs can get to it easily). Misty then jumped down onto the living room floor and my mother distinctly heard the sound of her landing. She turned to look directly at Misty and, of course, there was nothing there. Only then did she remember that was deceased.

It will be interesting to see if this is a one-off appearance or if Misty is going to continue to drop by from time to time…

stuneville said:
Ah, that's more the ticket. Ta Essy :).

MaxMolyneux said:
Lots of ghosts apparently look solid, Max - that's why you get tales of people who have interacted with them, believing them to be entirely living beings.

Most of the people who walk past you could be a solid spirit though and you wouldn't know it.

Cat Spirit? Loks like a cat in a stylish microwave oven to me!

It's the cruel souls own fault for cooking his cat then when he has a dodgey microwave curry! :shock:

years ago a friend had a ginger tom called tiggy that had most of his tail removed so he just had a ginger stump, one day tiggy was hit by a boy racer and he just managed to make in onto the grass before he died.
We buried him in the back garden but the next day, early in the morning as i walked along the pavement and just before i turned into my friends drive a ginger tom with a stumpy tail suddenly was at my left hand side running alongside me as tiggy used to do , as i turned to get a proper look he vanished.

We lost our beautiful siamese cat two weeks ago, he developed heart failure and went downhill fast so it was sudden and unexpected- he was only four. We buried him in the garden two days later.
Since then there has been nothing- I have almost been looking out for it but no, nothing has happened to make me think he was there then had to remember he is gone. In fact he is conspicuous by his absence- the house is too quiet, he is very definitely totally gone.

:glum: :sob: I've never had a cat come back so I could see them, either. In my experience the only way to fill that cat-shaped hole in your life is - another cat.

This is spring, so you may find one flouncing into your life at any moment. Let him. Or you can go down to the shelter if you can't wait that long. But be careful - it's harder to say no to all the little doomed friendlies you meet in a shelter when you're in mourning.

I'm a cat snob- only an Oriental will do, I'm going to save for a new kitten. Once you have been 'meezered' there is no going back.

Cats! Bloody homicidal cats! :evil:

When I was a baby my mother heard me screaming and rushed to my cot and found the family cat 'Smokey' trying to eat my head!

Rush forward 34 years and my flatmate's cat 'Shadey' conspired to trip me up at the top of the stairs resulting in me suffering 3 broken ribs and 3 fractured vertebrae.

Don't get me started on bloody cats! :evil:

Cats look cute and purr, so i can ignore the fact they are murdering little basts.

Back