• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Crazy Charlie"

A

Anonymous

I'm probably walking into a buzz saw here, since I don't know much about Charles Fort, and I probably ough to since I'm related to him. My grandmother (fathers mother), Pauline Downing Fort was Charles Fort's niece.

She died in 1971 but at family gatherings she told us a few stories about meeting the man they used to call "Crazy Charlie". She remembered (as a young girl in thelate teens / early20's) going to his apartment, which I think was in Bronx, NY, which was cluttered, messy, and housed an "attack" bird of some kind (probably a parrot) who used to divebomb visitors.

I haven't perused these boards or even read much of what CF has written to understand why he has such a cult following, but someone suggested I do an internet seach, so that's how I got here.

My aunt, who is 80 years old, has a couple of things that belonged to CF, passed down by my grandmother, including some photographs and an first edition of "Book Of The Damned" he signed.

Just wondering....anyone else around here related to him?

Bob Rodman

Nope. Great, great grand nephew of William Morris here, though.

one of my great grand relations was one of the origonal bow street runners and another did the carveings at Cardiff castle.
Welcome to the board in any case.

You may be interested to know that Fort was not quite as mad as your relatives may have made out, granted he did have many unusual theorys but it was his input and obsevations of how scientific observations of the time were biased that led to the writing of the modern scientific record, the premis of which being that nomatter how much evidence you have for something it cannot be stated as a definate truth that that is what is occoring.

Welcome, Bob.

I was delighted to read of the family connection. Discovering
old Charlie's works will be quite an experience. I wish I could
find anyone so fascinating in my family tree.

It would be great to know if your Aunt's photos are known to
researchers or not. Maybe she also has memories or stories that would
help fill out the record. Or perhaps she has been tracked down by
biographers already. It would be a pity to miss any information, while
she is alive and I hope well!

I doubt if there are any other Fort relatives on the board.

It would be nicely Fortean, if there were. :)

maybe if so, and if the apparently defunct charles Fort institute gets a kicking, they would have alook at them?

Hello, Fortblood! Welcome.

I'm not sure if Forteanism can be called a cult as we have a wealth of beliefs and ideas, just as your ancestor did, and are capable and willing to accept "out of this world" ideas as possibly true.

You have an ancestor to be proud of!

Jane.

Back