• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Sleepwalkers/Talkers

I use to walk in my sleep all the time. Very early one morning I woke up when the driver of a coal truck blew his horn at me. I was standing at the edge of my yard with my hand on the gate which led out to the road that runs past my house. I was wearing only a nightgown. I ran like a mad thing back into my house. In my sleep I had opened my bedroom door, opened and unlocked my front door including a chain lock at the top, walked down four steps and across my front yard. I would have walked out into the road if the horn hadn"t awaken me. What was odd was that I never have walked in my sleep again. What part of our mind guides us when we walk in our sleep. Is it some primitive part of our minds that took care of us before we developed intellegence.

When I was very young I apparently made it out of the house and up the street, fast asleep all the while. It makes me wonder how my parents knew I was out, if I had enough time to get that far. I had a friend who once went downstairs, pulled out the drawer underneath the oven and peed in it!

A couple of years ago, I had a friend staying with me who would talk and cry out in her sleep quite a bit and it was rather eerie. She warned me about this ahead of time so I wouldn't be alarmed, but still it was odd lying in bed hearing someone in the next room seeming to be in mortal danger, or speaking whole paragraphs in her sleep which almost made sense. Many of her outbursts were of the "Look out! Look behind you!" variety which didn't soothe me much when I'd been reading the FTMB all night. :?

Here's a strange one for you all. For the last few days, my girlfriend has been coming up to me and saying that I've been talking incoherently in my sleep, almost in a different language. She tells me that the closest it comes to is Latin - but I only studied that for a year in secondary school, about 14 or 15 years ago, and I remember very little of it.

What I want to know is this - is my brain somehow unlocking long forgotten memories about languages I haven't been taught for years - or I am stuck in some kind of cycle where I'm talking about stuff but it makes no sense to people other than myself?

Any ideas peeps? :?

I dream in Russian sometimes, even though it's not my first language and I haven't been there for over a year now. As for talking in my sleep- I wouldn't know about that.

PlagueRider said:
Here's a strange one for you all. For the last few days, my girlfriend has been coming up to me and saying that I've been talking incoherently in my sleep, almost in a different language. She tells me that the closest it comes to is Latin - but I only studied that for a year in secondary school, about 14 or 15 years ago, and I remember very little of it.

What I want to know is this - is my brain somehow unlocking long forgotten memories about languages I haven't been taught for years - or I am stuck in some kind of cycle where I'm talking about stuff but it makes no sense to people other than myself?

Any ideas peeps? :?

You might be posessed? Any streams of obsenities or noxious slimey vomit?

I should clarify, I mean apart from Friday night....

I move in 'half sleep'

Littlegreylady said:
Do you think there is a relation between sleeping deeply and walking/talking in your sleep? All the people I know who have experienced that are deep sleepers - my sister, my friend and apparantly my aunt as well. I on the other hand, having not done anything like that, am an insomniac.

I sleep very lightly but disturb others and myself by being asleep and speaking with them, constantly moving and violently flinching in my sleep (not related to dreams- i got woken from a lovely dream by my bloke who thought I was having a nightmare!). My worst one is when I 'half see'- I am woken and see the person who woke me - but their face is someone elses (someone from my dream). Very scary indeed for me and them!!

I was sharing a bed with a friend in Shanghai (Four of us crammed into two double beds to save money in an already cheap hostel!) We were all girls and as we were getting ready, we all made jokes about snoring/stealing duvets etc. Then my friend turned to me and said that if she threatened to kill me in the night I wasn't to panic!

Apparantly several people she'd slept with over the years had had her turn to them in the night and tell them that she wanted to kill them!!!!

When I was a kid my brother once shouted "Sellotape!" in his sleep, my great-grandfather reportedly once said "No, fishes do not carry stones in their jacket pockets", and I always enjoy carrying out conversations with drunk sleeping mates, especially one who has an unnerving tendency to sleep with his eyes open. My brother once carried his quilt downstairs in his sleep as a kid, and went back to bed.

I went out with a bloke who was very active in his sleep. Sometimes if you gave him a pen and paper he'd draw and write stuff. He also used to fall asleep on the sofa and expose himself to our housemates.

Two nights ago I apparently sat up shouting "Oi, you, it's on my fucking guitar amp", I was that loud that I woke my mum up, who I then proceeded to have an argument with about something, and then I told my brother who was asleep to shut up, all the while I was still fast asleep with only a slight recollection in the morning, of a dream that involved a three foot tall rat sitting on my guitar amp.

I used to sleepwalk until I was about seventeen. I didn't realise until my sister told me it freaked her out and I really shouldn't sleep in the nude. If I sleepwalk now my wife is very quiet and understanding about it.

I used to sleepwalk alot as a child. So much so my grandmother told me I was a weird child lol. ( by the way I am a very deep sleeper) My mother took a picture of me when I was 3, I was sleep walking and went outside into the front yard and picked a flower and was smelling it. What bothers me is the fact that I have learned that when a person sleepwalks, they are not in the REM stage... so if your not dreaming just what is going on? Maybe i'm too superstitious , but it just kind of creeps me out , like maybe some spirit "borrows" your body for a joy ride! :shock:

Not sure if this is te right place to post this. Just over 2 weeks ago as my daughters and I were saying goodbye to my dying husband, my eldest's husband was at home, sleepless, minding their 2 sleeping children. He said that suddenly the 8 year old screamed out" No, no, come back come back, don't leave them". When he went in she was siting bolt upright, then lay down and continued sleeping. It was about the time my husband passed.

Calqhoon said:
When I was a kid my brother once shouted "Sellotape!" in his sleep, my great-grandfather reportedly once said "No, fishes do not carry stones in their jacket pockets", and I always enjoy carrying out conversations with drunk sleeping mates, especially one who has an unnerving tendency to sleep with his eyes open. My brother once carried his quilt downstairs in his sleep as a kid, and went back to bed.

I once got out of my bed and went to sleep on the bathroom landing. I think I thought it would be good for my back, although as i was four years old, i knew nothing about bad backs, nor did I have one ...and neither did anyone else in my family.

My sister and I often share the same bed,although we have separate rooms,and she VERY often talks in her sleep.I recall her waking me up in the middle of the night,shaking me and saying,''You've got a white face! A white face with polka dots,Tiff! Please get up!''
The next morning,when I woke up and promptly checked for these dots only to find none,I stormed upstairs and woke her,asking what the hell she was talking about.She recalled none of it.
More than once,she's sat up in her sleep,with dead eyes and began to talk about ''When the black faced boys sit on the roof.''
Creepy,no?

Isis177 said:
Not sure if this is te right place to post this. Just over 2 weeks ago as my daughters and I were saying goodbye to my dying husband, my eldest's husband was at home, sleepless, minding their 2 sleeping children. He said that suddenly the 8 year old screamed out" No, no, come back come back, don't leave them". When he went in she was siting bolt upright, then lay down and continued sleeping. It was about the time my husband passed.

I'm very sorry to hear about your husband.

An ex girlfriend of mine once sat bolt upright in the middle of the night, shouted "Big wave!" and promptly fell out of the bed.

I was once dreaming I was in a hot-air balloon and we were going down fast - I had to drop some ballast. I was awoken by my other half's screaming - I had their head in both hands and was reportedly trying to 'screw it off'.

Once I bought some blueberry muffins... my boyfriend and I went to sleep that night, and when I woke up in the morning, I opened the cupboard to get out the pan to make breakfast and found a half-eaten muffin in it. He vaguely recalled getting up for a snack, but had no idea that he'd 'hid' it in the cupboard. Har har. :laughing:

-Kat

I lived with a guy who used to dream he was being manually strangled and would sit up in bed, screaming and gasping, with a red ring all the way around his neck.

I was rooming with a couple of friends. We shared a large dorm-type room for sleeping. They were both sleeptalkers. One of them (roomie A) had a sister whose name was the same as mine, so whenever A started talking at night, she inevitably started by whispering to her sister and I would awaken to the name. She would start talking about Mum this and Dad that kind of stuff. Then roommate B would start responding to A, but not to what she was talking about. She would just start her own topic. A and B would then whisper together, as if responding to what each other was saying, but about completely unrelated things.

My partner now is a whiner and yelper. He is frequently chased by large animals or his university students in his sleep. He also has interesting conversations aloud with famous people (I don't hear the famous people respond, however).

I met a woman (a friend of a friend) who died when she sleepwalked out onto a non-existent balcony on the second floor of my friend's old house. (There was an old door left from when the house had had a balcony, but the door was not permanently sealed.)

I take mild offense to this phenomena being called creepy. Sleep walking/talking has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and it seems to run rampant in my family. When I was growing up my father would have vivid war dreams (2 tours in Vietnam, 2 purple hearts) and would scream out in the middle of the night about "charlie", "incoming" shells, and just about every other stereotypical thing you hear during a firefight in a war movie. He even at times would run through our house (and through anything in his way at the time he was 5'6" 250lbs) "ducking fire" and would dive behind the couch and peer out. When I was real young it used to scare me sh!tless but as the years went on I became more and more used to it even becoming aggitated and angered that I was being woken up.

My brother who lived with my grandfather came to stay with us for a little while and in the middle of the night one night got out of bed (while still asleep apparently) and walk to the back door and proceeded to piss at it like it was a urinal. We found him the next day asleep next to the door laying in his own piss and had no recollection of what had happened.

In my teenage years my room was adjacent to my sister's room and while we each had our own doors at the front of the rooms there was a door that separated the rooms (like the kid's rooms on the Brady Bunch if their bathroom was removed and the rooms were pressed together). Her boyfriend at the time (now husband) stayed with her in her room most nights. From the get-go he complained that we wouldn't be so tired if we wouldn't stay up half of the night talking about stupid sh!t. At first we chalked this up to just him being weird but started to get persistent about it and we began telling him what times we fell asleep. He finally convinced us to put tape recorders in our rooms with sound operated recording. He was right my sister and I were having full blown conversations about everything under the sun. From discussing who fed the dogs to work schedules to how many camels would fit in the red sea (I kid you not) there were even times when you could hear her boyfriend try to get in on the conversation (as we had woke him up) and subsequent aggitation that neither of us would talk to him.

I have also been known to sing rather loud (and with suprising good talent though in the conscious world I rather suck) during road trips while sound asleep (I have a habit of falling asleep about 30 minutes into just about any driving trip in which I am no the actual driver).

Of course I also suffer from horrific night terrors and sleep paralysis as does several other members of my family and I've always wondered if the sleeptalking and night terrors shared a common psychological bond.

Some excellent reading material here.

My fiance does this a lot. I used to try to extend the conversations with him and delve into his subconscious. Now he does it so often that I'm getting used to it and tell him to be quiet so I can go back to sleep.

My favourite story is when he was in his late teens, his mother woke up to find him climbing in to bed with her. Not too bad unless you factor in that he sleeps in the nude!

My brother used to talk a lot in his sleep when he was younger, things like "they're coming down the chimney!" and "I can't find the dog."
Apparently at a drunken sleepover at a friend's, I sat up, looked around, and said "but Mulder, he doesn't have a belly," then lay back down. At the time I put it down to my friends winding me up, but years later they still maintain that it happened.
Once, with a previous boyfriend, I woke up and thought, "wow, the pattern of creases on the pillow looks just like a face," then, the face moved. It was my boyfriend saying good morning. He wasn't best pleased when I screamed pretty loudly at him.
Just last week I was woken in the night by my (current) boyfriend holding my wrists and saying "calm down, it's only a dream, wake up!" - he says I was poking him in the face and making meowing noises.

Hello, by the way. I'm emmbob :) I've been lurking for a while and thought it was about time I posted something.

Recently I had to fly to Egypt to look after my mother who had fallen very ill whilst on holiday. We ended up being medically evacuated to Israel, but Egypt was obviously still on her mind two weeks later when she started talking in her sleep.

She was asleep in the hospital bed and I was sitting beside her when I hear her say "They're Egyptian towels...with contraction fibres...and there's a hidden Egyptian in every pack".

I can sympathise with the sleepwalkers,as its scary to think that you can move around without conscious control( I also have a morbid fear of zombies!) I've been known to sleepwalk and sleeptalk.

The most dangerous thing I ever tried to do was climb out of a sliding sash window. Luckliy I was on a guide sleep over and someone was sleeping next to the window so my clambering woke them up. Otherwise I have climebed into wardrobes and gone into the wrong room! The sleepwalking seems to happen the most when I am in a strange place or sharing a room with people I dont know very well, so it could be some kind of stress thing. I probably make it worse by worring about the possible embrassment, so I usually warn the other person and get some odd looks!

If I am having a bad dream I will call out and my boyfriend says he has had conversations with me when I am apparantly alseep. Its all a bit too freaky

My boyf totally freaked me out last night. I got home late (About ten past middnight) and the boyf was in bed, snoring. So I crept around getting myself ready and all of a sudden he stopped mid-snore and sat bolt up right in bed. He was staring at me (And I mean staring, not looking) but also not quite at me, like he wasn't seeing me.... His eyes looked really wierd. Anyway, I just said something like hello and he didn't repsond. Then he said "you're here" and looked out the window and back to me again. I said I had just come back and I hadn't meant to wake him but all he said was "you're here"

The way he said it was kinda of mumbled and husky. Not the usual way he speaks - almost jerky. He kept repeating it and staring wildly around. So I went over to him, said "you're still asleep" and gently pushed his shoulder so he would lie back down. Needless to say it was like a zombie de-animating )if you know what I mean) and he was snoring again.

This morning no memory of it whatsoever. Obviously in the cold light of day it was just a sleep-talking incident but he really scared me last night. gah...

My boyfriend did that yesterday morning - first he leapt right out of bed, fell on the floor then climbed back in and went straight back to sleep. About half an hour later he "leapt" awake again, looked around himself wildly, then stared right at me and came towards me, arms outstretched Zombie-style, and fell asleep again. He doesn't remember it now but I was pretty freaked out :eek:

This is a fun thread.

I think this stuff must be genetic. My maternal grandfather reportedly was found, sound asleep, standing on his bed, holding the ceiling up and shouting for everyone to get out (ie, the house was falling in). My dad has said he's had conversations with my mom while she's asleep, but I don't remember any fun examples.

When my sisters and I all still lived at home, there were a few instances I remember. Once, my parents and I were coming home and my one sister had fallen asleep on the couch. When we came in, we startled her, and she turned and yelled (huge eyes), "Who's that in the dark?" which was a strange phrasing she normally wouldn't have used. Another time, my other sister was sleeping in one morning, and her boyfriend called. I took the phone to her room and handed it to her. Later she told me, "I had the weirdest dream. I dreamed the phone rang, and you handed it to me, and I was talking to someone..." I wonder what sorts of things she said to her boyfriend!

In my own case, when I was a toddler still sleeping in a crib, apparently I used to climb out of it all the time and go to sleep underneath it. I don't know for sure whether I was asleep when I did, but it wouldn't surprise me. I've been told I murmur in my sleep, and a college roommate once came in late and told me the next day I sat up and stared at her with those glassy eyes everyone here's been describing, and just kept staring at me no matter how much she assured me it was just her, etc.

I've also had a tendency toward hypnagogic (sp?) experiences (and one sister told me she did too), "night hag" experiences, sleeping with my eyes open (especially when I'm really tired), and both insomnia and deep sleeping.

Bloody brill.

Ok, so my room is right next door to my folks room...with very thin walls, you can hear EVERYTHING (Which belive me, at times is not good) but anyway's...

My mother has a very loud laugh, which wakes everybody up. The most commical moment with her talking/dreaming, was when she hit sombody with a wet kipper, what made it so funny was she was replying to this person in her sleep. From what i can remember it went something like this:

Mother: Im going to bloody hit you, if you don't shut up

(Silence)

Mother: Don't you say that to me, im warning you im going to hit you

(Silence)

Mother: Right that does it

(Silence)

Mother: Ha how did you like that *laughs*

After that she went silent again, i was left wondering what the hell was going on in the room next door. lol

She told me about it the next morning, she could not remember what the other person was saying, or why she had a wet kipper...but it made me laugh thats for sure.

When i was young i used to say some really random things, and i know for a fact that i used to sleep walk, as i woke up in the front room of my old house staring at a blank tv.

Had a good little fright from my 2 3/4 year old daughter the other night.

Around 1:00 am I heard her crying. I went in her bedroom and found her kneeling on her bed rocking back and forth with her back to me. By that point she was completely silent. She has very long hair that was covering her face. The scene, of course, right out of every horror movie in recent memory. :lol: I sort of gulped and said, "Wake up, love. Wake up, you were just having a bad dream". As I cradled her and put her back in bed she opened her eyes and looked at me, smiled, and made a hissing noise like a cat (her favorite animal when she's awake). I swear I just about plotzed! :lol:

Back