• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crisis Apparitions--Any New Cases?

corsair2000e

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In the early years of psychical research there appears to have been a goodly number of cases of crisis apparitions i.e apparitions seen of a person who was undergoing a crisis around the time of his/her appearance. A typical case might be someone waking up in bed and observing the figure of a relative or friend close by. The observer then later discovers that the person seen died around the same time that his/her apparition appeared. In recent years there seems to have been a marked falling off of such very interesting cases and I wondered if readers had any stories of crisis apparitions that they would be willing to relate. I have also heard that a significant number of people claim to have seen/heard/felt the apparition of a friend or relative a short time after that friend/relative had died, though in a timeframe outside that normally associated with crisis apparitions--24 hours before or after death. Perhaps there may be new cases that readers are aware of?

The classic cases date from times when global communications were much slower. I'm sure there are still thousands of such cases - they just don't carry much evidential weight in the age of the mobile phone. Another way in which that Devil's Instrument is inhibiting ghosties? :?

I'd have to do a lot of tedious digging through back issues and compiling of statistics to prove it, but I believe a fair number of the "My Proof of Survival" and "True Mystic Experiences" sent in by readers of Fate Magazine are crisis events, though not always apparitions. The Fate reader submissions are a mixed bag, with a lot of "Wait, you find that weird?" events for every "Whoa, dude, that's weird!" one; but of what is this not so?

In the January 2008 issue, there's a peculiar story. Reader Tara Voler reports on her mother-in-law, a nasty old woman with whom she got along better and better as she descended into dementia. One day, while cutting up carrots, she got a vivid mental image of her mother-in-law "leaning on the counter with her hind end up in the air, and she grabbed a carrot and bit into it. As she chewed she said: 'I think it was a blood clot.' Then she disappeared."

Ms. Voler told her husband to call the nursing home, but he didn't take her seriously. When he got a call later in the day, it was to inform him that his cousin had died, later determined to be due to a blood clot that formed in his leg and moved to his heart.

This same woman also associated her mother's spirit with a little old man she encountered in a grocery store. It's one of those "huh?" associations to me, but the rest of her family apparently bought it, and thought that her personality problems in life might have been due to her male spirit being trapped in a female body. Hey, it's not my family, I don't have to understand it...

My father passed away a few weeks ago after a long battle with cancer. His decline was very quick, he went into the hospice on a Sunday and passed away on the Tuesday. By Monday night he was in a coma, with his family at his side. A friend of my Mother, who also has cancer, had a dream that night that my Dad appeared to her and told her he was alright.
This friend knew that my Dad was ill, but had no idea that he was dying at the time she had the dream.
It's sort of comforting that Dad would want to let us know he was ok, even if he didn''t manifest to the family sitting at his deathbed. :?

Storm - I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you. But your story is almost a carbon copy of my own. My Dad died of cancer in June 06. The night of the day he died, my Mam's friend had a dream about my Dad. Apparently he appeared to her saying that he was fine. She didn't find out about my Dad no longer being with us until a few days after he had died.

My late mother 'saw' my grandfather (her father) shortly after his death.

He appeared to her in the kitchen of our house (where he'd being staying until shortly before he died) and assured her that he was okay. My mother stepped towards him saying "Dad..?" and he quickly backed-away warning "Don't touch me" before disappearing.

Although I believe in ghosts, I've always thought that there may have been an element of wishful thinking on my mother's part - she'd been terribly upset by his death. On the other hand..

In the early years of psychical research there appears to have been a goodly number of cases of crisis apparitions i.e apparitions seen of a person who was undergoing a crisis around the time of his/her appearance. A typical case might be someone waking up in bed and observing the figure of a relative or friend close by. The observer then later discovers that the person seen died around the same time that his/her apparition appeared. In recent years there seems to have been a marked falling off of such very interesting cases and I wondered if readers had any stories of crisis apparitions that they would be willing to relate. I have also heard that a significant number of people claim to have seen/heard/felt the apparition of a friend or relative a short time after that friend/relative had died, though in a timeframe outside that normally associated with crisis apparitions--24 hours before or after death. Perhaps there may be new cases that readers are aware of?

I presume that you have Phantoms of the Living by Gurney, Myers & Podmore (of the S.P.R.). I read a chunk of this as a postgraduate and was most taken with it. It's two weighty volumes, but there's an abridgement online here:

https://archive.org/details/phantasmsoflivin00gurn

Edit: Chapter XII has many good cases.

Last edited:
He appeared to her in the kitchen of our house (where he'd being staying until shortly before he died) and assured her that he was okay. My mother stepped towards him saying "Dad..?" and he quickly backed-away warning "Don't touch me" before disappearing.

'Don't touch me!' or noli me tangere is what Jesus is supposed to have said to the first witness to his resurrection, Mary Magdalene.

Interestingly, when I checked that on Wiki just now I found that a more literal translation might be cease holding on to me or stop clinging to me.

'Don't touch me!' or noli me tangere is what Jesus is supposed to have said to the first witness to his resurrection, Mary Magdalene.

Interestingly, when I checked that on Wiki just now I found that a more literal translation might be cease holding on to me or stop clinging to me.

sounds like typical celeb behavior, did he then say "you'll mess up my hair"?

Back