• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Croatia

A trip to Daksa island outside Dubrovnik, site of a massacre post-WWII. Nobody wants to take the writer there.

I was in that neck of the woods a couple of years back. We were based on the lovely island of Brač, off the coast of Split north of there and spent a happy week exploring up and down the whole stunning Adriatic coast. Didn't even know Daksa island existed. Can understand why it's not on the tourist radar. A timely reminder that war is rarely black and white and replacing one tyranny with another rarely ends well.

Last edited:
Fixed that for you.

Fair point!

Having recently returned from Prague, I was a little surprised to see the number of memorials not just to the WW2 dead, but mostly to those who died under the brutal Soviet occupation.

This impressive winged lion statue between Prague castle and the Vltava river stands on a plinth bearing the names of Czech airman who fought with the RAF - and were subsequently persecuted and in many cases murdered by the Russians.

IMG_20180807_1315406.jpg

Last edited:
A trip to Daksa island outside Dubrovnik, site of a massacre post-WWII. Nobody wants to take the writer there.

Given the staggering savagery that accompanied the war in the Balkans - some of which shocked even the Nazis (the Fascist Ustasha had a penchant for execution with mallets, and sawing the heads off live victims) I find it surprising that this particular place stands out among others, and I can't help wondering if more recent events obscure older superstitions.

(There's a Daily Mail article here which almost comically exemplifies that paper's obsession with property prices (worldwide conflagration; partisan atrocity; fascist atrocity; concentration camps; mass murder: My god - look what it's done to property prices!!!). But also manages to conflate 'corroborate' with 'collaborate'. Genius.

(Oh, and they also misspell the name of the island - on the map, no less).

Last edited:
Back