• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Crosses and Swastikas: What The...?

A

Anonymous

This is a little old, but I only just got my hands on the articles. For a few weeks now around my area, white crucifixes and red swastikas have been appearing on telegraph poles. I had talked about these things with friends and nobody knew what they meant. Then on the same day, two different local newspapers reported on them. The difference in the stories is incredible, and take the story on a little bit of a Fortean turn.

From The Hills Shire Times, 5 November 2002.

Mystery Signs Disturb Peace, by Denice Barnes and Malissa Millegean.

The emergence of swastikas on telegraph poles in Dural and Cherrybrook has set alarm bells ringing for residents and politicians.
The red and black swastikas, a symbol of Nazi Germany and the persecution of millions of Jewish people, have been nailed on poles underneath mysterious white crosses which have three red dots on them.
The swastikas have appeared at up to 25 locations across northern and north-west Sydney.
Cherrybrook resident Jane Burton initially noticed the crosses about two months ago.
"At first I thought the crosses were put up as a sign of where there had been an accident" Mrs Burton said.
"Then I there couldn't have been an accident on every pole and then the other thing appeared".
Mrs Burton and many others have found the swastikas to be highly offensive and disturbing.
"I think it is two separate groups, one putting up the crosses and the other the swastikas," she said.
"It's highly offensive and could stem back to terrorism.
"We know there are small cells of funny groups-could this be the evolving of one of these groups or a nasty group of white supremacists?
"And do they mark where ethnic groups live?"
Hornsby police are remaining tight-lipped, only willing to say the matter is being investigated and urging people with information to come forward.
Hornsby state Liberal MP Judy Hopwood and Ku-ring-gai State Liberal MP Barry O'Farrel have been rocked by the signs appearance.
Mrs Hopwood said residents had been removing the symbols and handing them over to police.
"There is enough disharmony in the world today without creating turmoil in our own communities," she said.
Mr O'Farrel recently raised the matter in State Parliament.
"The signs are often located near schools, parks or heavily-used intersections,” Mr O’Farrel said.
“Clearly their positioning is designed to be noticed.”
He said a person driving a car with Victorian number plates had been seen using a folding extension ladder to fix a sign to a pole at Wahroonga.
“I know that many Christians would find the fixing of a crucifix next to a red swastika to be highly offensive.” He said.
Anyone with information should contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.

A Fine piece of Journalism if I’ve ever seen one, made even better by this next article printed on the same day.

From the Hills News, 5 November 2002.

Mystery Sign Maker Unmasked, by Mark Dennis.

A former Victorian farmer has been identified as the generator of the signs that have been appearing around many of the Hills streets.
Calling himself Carl of Caveat he said he was waging a campaign against the rise of the Fifth Reich in the world order.
The signs had their own significance.
The cross was “taking the church on at its own game”, he said. “It can mean whatever you want it to mean: ABC, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost, whatever. It’s a reply to the church’s “holier than thou attitude.”
The black spikes, however, did have a meaning: they pointed to a piece of parkland, wasteland or open space, indicating, he said, that there were bodies buried there.
The swastikas were a “measure of people’s guilt”, Carl said. “If they are removed, I replace them at a greater height to see how guilty an area feels. Some people remove just the crosses, some just the swastikas and some both.”
Carl said that the campaign by the Fifth Reich for a new world order used radiation and genetic engineering to gain control of people (or to replace them) using their twins. He said that the world was in a state of pseudo-health.
“There have been no new cures for any disease since World War II, only new drugs,” he said.

Errm, Fifth Reich? Hitler's was the Third, what happened to the Fourth? :confused:

Carole

carole said:
Errm, Fifth Reich? Hitler's was the Third, what happened to the Fourth?
Presumably this farmer thinks we are living in the Fourth. :rolleyes:

Back