• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

curious incident

Should we all go to our respective GP's and demand high doses of vitamin B? :)
My dad developed Alzheimers in his 60's (it was called "premature senility" then) and it scares me when I see my own memory deteriorating from what it used to be.

Stuff disappears and reappears in my mother's haunted house ALL the time.

A few weeks ago, my son was spending some time there during summer vacation.
While he was there, one of his video games disappeared along with my mother's reading glasses. They both searched the house to no avail.

After searching, they gave up and assumed the game and the glasses went "into the vortex or next dimension" as we so fondly refer to it in that house.

A few days after my son returned home, my mother continued to look high and low around the house for the missing things. Eventually, she just said out loud to no one in particular ( she lives alone)," Whoever has taken these things, will you please just bring them back!" (or something to that affect).

Well lo and behold, shortly afterwards, her reading glasses were laying on the living room floor in plain sight ( no pun intended), and my son's video game was on the dining room floor near a writing desk!

It may be of interest to note that during my son's stay the usual phantom car was heard on one occassion, and he heard strange noises (bangs) coming from the underneath of an upstairs bedroom floor.

I think I might have retold this event before but it's so on topic that I had to give a brief version of it.

My Nan (who at this time was also suffering from Alzheimers, oddly) left her home to move into sheltered housing. My mum and I did the time honoured (yet quite sad) tradition of clearing out a family members house. We discovered a leather box with several pairs of cuff links in which were likely my Grandfathers, my mother said I ought to have them as no one else had any use for them. One of the cuff links was particularly nice but it's pair had been lost and wasn't in the box. I mentioned this to my mother and we agreed it was a shame but at least the others were matching. Soon we left for home, taking the cufflinks and knowing that the next day we would return to begin the decorating, before the flat was sold. the next morning we turned up and there was the missing cufflink on the kitchen side by the kettle. The rest of the flat was completely empty. Felt quite odd at the time and both my mother and I laughed when we thought back to the previous day, when I had said alloud "it's a shame this particularly cufflink doesn't have it's pair.

Had one of those today. :shock:

Lost my gorgeous dog Rocky in February. He was nearly 14, a boxer/Staff cross, a real loveable rogue, and we were gutted. :(

We'd had him chipped and he wore a council tag on his collar. It wore out and fell off years ago.

This afto I found it, on top of a box of things I'd been sorting out. Wasn't there earlier and I hadn't seen it for years - thought it was long gone in a ditch somewhere.

Maybe age and memory loss isn't any such thing, but rather a drift between realities?
Is that daft?
A few years ago my stepson had this little action figure with one arm. It used to bug us because he was a nice figure. We couldn't throw him away though. But then, after a housemove, we were doing the washing one day when we lifted all the dirty clothes out of the basket and found the figure with his arm intact. It completely freaked us out, because we had no memory of buying a replacement, and we never did find again the one with the missing arm. It freaks me out that we aren't in any one place at a time... (I should use that as my signature!)[/i]

Loads of times I have been looking for something and stared straight at where it has later turned out to be but not seen it.

Presumably those things are always there but you just don't see them for some reason, although in my gf's old apartment stuff would disappear and then reappear so obviously in a clear place - like the only item on a table - that you would think someone was actually playing a prank if it wasn't that there was nobody else in the house.

McAvennie_ said:
Loads of times I have been looking for something and stared straight at where it has later turned out to be but not seen it.

Presumably those things are always there but you just don't see them for some reason, although in my gf's old apartment stuff would disappear and then reappear so obviously in a clear place - like the only item on a table - that you would think someone was actually playing a prank if it wasn't that there was nobody else in the house.

Isn't there a mundane phenomenon where - I'll say men of a certain age, I'm starting to do it myself - go looking for something in a cupboard or the fridge and even though it's right in front of them they don't notice it, or it doesn't register with them?

"Where's the coffee?" "Right there!" "I can't see it - oh yeah, so it is."

Always seems to be more to the stranger disappearing object phenomenon, though. But they could be connected.

Recycled1 said:
Should we all go to our respective GP's and demand high doses of vitamin B? :)
My dad developed Alzheimers in his 60's (it was called "premature senility" then) and it scares me when I see my own memory deteriorating from what it used to be.

Your message prompted me to look into B vitamins, and I discovered that what happens to people isn't necessarily a lack of the B vitamins but an increasing inability to absorb them through the digestive track, especially B-12.

Now, back on topic:

A transfer tool from my knitting machine disappeared yesterday (about the length of a pencil and an inch wide) just after I was using it. I've looked all around, but nothing. If it turns up in the middle of the rug this evening I'll let you all know (and I'll blame the cats even though the door to that room is closed). ;)

gncxx said:
McAvennie_ said:

Isn't there a mundane phenomenon where - I'll say men of a certain age, I'm starting to do it myself - go looking for something in a cupboard or the fridge and even though it's right in front of them they don't notice it, or it doesn't register with them?

There must be something, the hidden in plain sight thing where you just cannot see the thing that is right there.

Although while I was away over the summer I was gettin ready to go out after work
one night and had taken my trousers and socks off in one go in the shower then chucked them by my bed.

Later that night I was collecting my bits up to send to laundry and found I was missing a sock. Next day got up, went to shower, got ready, brushed my teeth in the bathroom, went for breakfast, came back, was in and out of the bathroom, and then just as I was leaving I went back in the bathroom to put hair-gel on and there was the stray sock right in the middle of the bathroom.

I had been in and out at least five or six times from the night before through to that point and where it was there was absolutely no way I could have not seen it.

Needless to say my colleagues found the story of 'Ghost Sock' most amusing. No idea of what the explanation was, and despite the bar manager explaining that the apartment block I was staying in was once owned by Red Ant gangs who would on occasion throw uncooperative tenants off the roof - which made me think of possible haunting - it never had an uneasy or frightening atmosphere so do not suspect anything spooky.

If anything it was a friendly helpful 'presence' as there was also a light on the roof with four lamps. One lamp shone directly in my face when lying in bed which one night I found particularly annoying. The next day I came in and put the light on and the bulb that had been bugging me had blown!

escargot1 said:
Lost my gorgeous dog Rocky in February. He was nearly 14, a boxer/Staff cross, a real loveable rogue, and we were gutted. :(

I read this and got all excited about the bit to come about Rocky walktzing in through the front door, no longer missing......except that's not how it ended. It's left me feeling quite sad. I'm really sorry Escargot. And I hope maybe one day you do get to post that ending on this thread.

And McAvennie...just talk me through the bit where you "had taken my trousers and socks off in one go in the shower then chucked them by my bed." You took your trousers off IN THE SHOWER? Man, I must be missing a trick here....

linesmachine said:
And McAvennie...just talk me through the bit where you "had taken my trousers and socks off in one go in the shower then chucked them by my bed." You took your trousers off IN THE SHOWER? Man, I must be missing a trick here....

I was using 'the shower' to describe the bathroom area as a whole. Alas, I don't have some kind of wet suit workwear that can withstand clothed showers :(

Sometimes I wonder if there are parallel universes. Last week I bought a large plastic pouch of chai tea from the healthfood place my friend and I go to for our footspa. I remember putting it in my handbag because I couldn't close it and she telling me she would come and try some next time. I emptied the bag on a chair because I was going to help another friend, but when I came home couldn't find it anywhere.
Rang my friend to see if I had dropped it in her car but no. Being practical she rang the health food place and they said I had left it there and they had put it under the counter for me.
Obviously my memory is faulty but I was so sure I had brought it home.

McAvennie_ said:
... the apartment block I was staying in was once owned by Red Ant gangs who would on occasion throw uncooperative tenants off the roof ...

That's some big ass ants ya got there.

CarlosTheDJ said:
McAvennie_ said:
... the apartment block I was staying in was once owned by Red Ant gangs who would on occasion throw uncooperative tenants off the roof ...

That's some big ass ants ya got there.

Nah, they're just well organised.

Don't think 'senior moment' could explain Chaz's experience. He's only 23! But, in light of his moment, I've been remembering a few others that have happened to me over the years, mostly trivial - but definitely odd. Here's a couple -

1. We bought a new electric stove a few years ago. It had these odd little plastic buttons for setting the clock which, for some reason, were fairly easy to remove. Well, a few days after stove arrived, one of the buttond was missing. We searched and couldn't find it. Then a few days later, I opened a cookie jar we kept on a high shelf on the opposite side of the kitchen from the stove - and (you guessed), the button was inside.

There were only two of us in the house, and neither of us had any idea how it could have gotten there.

2. A bottle of perfume went missing from a cupboard in my room. As usual searched everywhere, but it couldn't be found. Then - around three months later, I opened the cupboard it normally lived in, and there it was, right at the front, impossible to miss.

Maybe someone borrowed it without asking and sneaked it back for fear of my wrath - but I lived in a house with three guys. I was the only woman. And these guys were not the kind to start using girly perfume.

I don't know...When it happens you just shrug and move on, because there's nothing else to do and the moments are so small of themselves - but yet in their way then can be as inexplicably odd as far bigger things.

Back