• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Curious Intertwinings

lopaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
(i'm not sure if this belongs in IHTM or not...stories about people and their departed loved ones are not exactly singular events...but here goes)

2003 was a difficult year for me as I lost the two most important men in my life within an eight month period, both from cancer. I've mentioned a couple of 'unusual' things surrounding my father's death (in January) before:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 338#458338

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 278#183278

In early summer of that year I moved me, my long-term partner and our cat 1500 miles to Los Angeles so B. could be in a hospice near his (adult) daughter as the end approached. Concurrent with all this was the diagnosis of rock n' roller/singer-songwriter Warren Zevon (who had had a noticible fascination with death) of inoperable cancer in late 2002. He died at his home in LA, three days after and about ten miles away from where B. did. While I was a fan, had a couple of his albums, I wasn't a real hard-core or anything. But in my mind the three deaths somehow became intertwined.

I was aware that Zevon's last album, The Wind, released just around the time of his passing, was made in full knowlege of his impending death and the tracks reflected that reality. While part of me wanted to hear this "goodbye" from someone I'd enjoyed, appreciated and maybe even admired, I decided that it would be too difficult to listen to, and did not purchase it. Last September (2004) I accompanied my mother to help honor my late father at a conference in Italy. It was almost a year to the day since B. died. On the flight one of the films that was shown was the documentary made about Zevon in the year leading up to his death Keep Me in Your Heart. As I was already in a reflective mood (and a captive audience!) I watched it and it was quite moving. And put it aside.

Yesterday (February 23, 2005)I decided that "it's not too painful to listen to now, enough time has passed" so I bought the CD of the music. As I was listening to it I went to check the mail. There on my front porch was a package from my sister-in-law. It was half-a-dozen really nice aloha shirts that had belonged to my dad, who I'm the same size as and can therefore wear them.

If I leave you it doesn't mean I don't love you any less
Keep me in your heart for a while

:sob:

I dunno...one one hand, finding connections between me, my life and a dead rock musician seems ridiculous. OTOH, I'd put this in the 'coincidence' thread, except it seems closer to a contrivance than a coincidence.

I totally know what you mean lopaka. I was bombarded with (synchronistic coincidences?) for about a year after my father died. It seemed that the more staunchly I would refuse to assign meaning to these events, the more over-the-top they would become. I eventually gave in and believed that these events were important signs or communications of a greater plan/truth. I'm still an athiest mind you, but . . . . .

Anyway when I have a stretch of uninterupted time, I'll post my experience. But yeah, sometimes it seems like there are these important themes in our lives and all the rest of the activity we get up to is just glue that holds the important stuff together.

toe said:
I totally know what you mean lopaka. I was bombarded with (synchronistic coincidences?) for about a year after my father died.
My only UFO sighting was on the day after my father died. Although it was only strangely coloured moving lights in a daytime sky, I couldn't help wondering if this was some kind of message. (It certainly wasn't anything astronomical or aeronautical within my experience.)

Back