• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Current issue for US subscribers?

CyberDog3K

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm a long time US subscriber, and I've been having a bit of trouble with IMS News delivery this year. What issue is current for the US? The website shows "Issue 262 - On sale from 29 April" in the UK. As of today (5/10), I've just received issue 260. I had actually written IMS to complain about late delivery a couple weeks ago, so I don't know if this is the original or a remail. Looked like it had been through the ringer on the way here. A few months prior I recall receiving two issues on the same day, one apparently having been delayed a full month! Am I well behind on 261/262 as well now?

CyberDog3K said:
I'm a long time US subscriber, and I've been having a bit of trouble with IMS News delivery this year. What issue is current for the US? The website shows "Issue 262 - On sale from 29 April" in the UK. As of today (5/10), I've just received issue 260. I had actually written IMS to complain about late delivery a couple weeks ago, so I don't know if this is the original or a remail. Looked like it had been through the ringer on the way here. A few months prior I recall receiving two issues on the same day, one apparently having been delayed a full month! Am I well behind on 261/262 as well now?
For historic reasons (meaning, I don't know why it was done that way), the overseas edition is always one month (presumably now four weeks) after the UK one, although I don't know the exact schedule in other countries. FT262 is the issue currently out here, so 261 should be the on sale one in North America. However, the Iceland volcano has affected all overseas mailing, so I think there is likely to be some impact on deliveries.

Hope you don't have too long a wait.

As an Australian subscriber, I generally can't complain about the speed at which my copies arrive, I certainly wouldn't say we are a month behind the UK, barring volcanic disruptions of course. My copy of 262 arrived this morning. Generally, my copies arrive about the same time the "This Month's Issue" is updated on the homepage. I've only ever had one issue go astray and a quick email to subsinfo sorted it out and I had a replacement copy in 2 weeks.

Here in Texas, I used to get an issue of FT from the Friendly Local Game Store about the time the cover of it vanished on the website and next month's appeared. When the store's distributor stopped carrying it and I subscribed reception became nearly random. I might get one three weeks late and the next one three weeks early. I got 259 in February and 260 last week; in between, having waited so long, I assumed I was expired and tried to renew. I was told I was paid up through November and the delay blamed on the volcano; but it was already late before the eruption. And the local newsstand that used to carry even after the FLGS stopped it hasn't seen one in six months.

I think the US distributor just isn't very good at its job.

When I called IMS to check up a couple of weeks ago, the friendly operator told me that the air freight shipment was delayed due to ash cloud from the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokul volcano. I had to give her points for inventiveness.

Philo_T said:
When I called IMS to check up a couple of weeks ago, the friendly operator told me that the air freight shipment was delayed due to ash cloud from the eruption of the Eyjafjallajokul volcano. I had to give her points for inventiveness.
"Wrong kind of volcanic ash on the tracks!"

For non subscribers in Australia, the issue on display in Australian Paper Shops are two months behind the current issue. I am glad I am a subscriber, which means we get the current issue!

Sure enough... today, three days after 260 arrived, 262 showed up. I assume they're still fishing 261 out of the volcano.

I'm with PeniG, I have doubts about the quality of the US distributor. To their credit they do respond to complaints, but it would be nice if I didn't have to complain about service in the first place. And some of the problems definitely pre-date the ash cloud.

CyberDog3K said:
Sure enough... today, three days after 260 arrived, 262 showed up. I assume they're still fishing 261 out of the volcano.

I'm with PeniG, I have doubts about the quality of the US distributor. To their credit they do respond to complaints, but it would be nice if I didn't have to complain about service in the first place. And some of the problems definitely pre-date the ash cloud.

The subscriptions liaison section at Dennis Publishing had this to add:

"We are aware of the problem that has occurred for the past two issues. The problem is at JFK; as a consequence of a downsize they are struggling with sorting out volumes. We have sent replacement copies and where we could not do so, we have added one free issue to their subscription. Barbara Abis 020 7907 6145 / Pauline Molyneux 020 7907 6153"

US subscriber. Just received FT 263 today, while not having received 261 or 2. :confused:

*shakes fist in general direction of the volcano*

Ditto. Good thing there's no continuity to follow.

261 arrived as I was cleaning the dustmop on the porch this afternoon! Hurray!

So much for my getting any more housework done this afternoon.

If you ring up IMS, they'll extend your subscription in lieu of the missing issues FYI; I had mine extended by two months.

Obake said:
US subscriber. Just received FT 263 today, while not having received 261 or 2.

This happened to me, as well. I have contacted IMS through e-mail, and I'm waiting to find out what they plan to do.

261 arrived yesterday. Looks like a good one. I will inquire about 262, though.

Has anyone at all in the United States gotten 262 yet? Any word from IMS? They seem to have stopped answering my e-mails (or my mail server is broken, wouldn't be surprised).

Back