• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Curse of the golden flower

morningstar667

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Watched this a couple of times now (region 3 available at cdwow for £8.99) and it's one of the finest films I've seen for a while...well since The Promise anyhow...

As could be expected from Zhang Yimou's historical films it looks amazing, is very well acted, and has a good storyline. A true epic in every sense, go see it.

9.75 out of 10 (loses .25 for the song at the end, because I was irritated after watching 300)

Official site http://www.sonyclassics.com/curseofthegoldenflower/

Very decent film. The best laid plans of mice of men...........

Yes I saw trailers for this the other day and it looked great.

<Kondoru in a fit of naughtiness trips up a horse>

"whoops, sorry there mate."

Checked the dvd as it's obvious which bit to go to if you've seen the movie and....yes indeedy a horse falls! I guess that a great number of westerns, fantasy, historical(brain pops a fuse from attempting to figure how many horses I've seen fall in movies) all need the falling horses cut out.

Off topic but the long version of Heaven's gate still contains a shot of a Horse being blown up. Happened accidentally but the scenes still sitting there during the final battle scene.

Proves yet again that one of the B's in BBFC stands for Blind. F & C draw your own conclusions but 4 letters are a clue.

I think I'll watch The Longriders later....aaah those falling horses! :lol:

morningstar667 said:
Checked the dvd as it's obvious which bit to go to if you've seen the movie and....yes indeedy a horse falls! I guess that a great number of westerns, fantasy, historical(brain pops a fuse from attempting to figure how many horses I've seen fall in movies) all need the falling horses cut out.

Interesting. I'm guessing that the UK version of The Lighthorsemen must run about seven seconds long. Seems that every other shot in that movie had to do with a horse getting horribly injured.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Yes I saw trailers for this the other day and it looked great.

It is. I'll certainly be buying one from cdwow as recommended above, it reeks of class and is definitely above 9 out of 10 its one fault is I wanted it to be longer. The Chinese have jumped above the UK and France and are now fast catching up with the US in my dvd collection.

morningstar667 said:

Off topic but the long version of Heaven's gate still contains a shot of a Horse being blown up. Happened accidentally but the scenes still sitting there during the final battle scene.

Wonder what they do with this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VtDlsUIch8

:shock:

crunchy5 said:
The Chinese have jumped above the UK and France and are now fast catching up with the US in my dvd collection.

At Chez Emps I think Japan nudges out China (including Hong Kong) but only by a hair.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Wonder what they do with this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VtDlsUIch8

:shock:

crunchy5 said:
The Chinese have jumped above the UK and France and are now fast catching up with the US in my dvd collection.

At Chez Emps I think Japan nudges out China (including Hong Kong) but only by a hair.

:shock: That's one heck of a fall but the powerslide under the truck (the rigid legs! A dummy? A frozen dead horse?) Oh Yeah! Great editing too:)

I think China may just have the edge over Japan in my dvd collection with Korea coming a close third. Have to count the bloody things to be sure though. :?

Back