• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

CZ book...anyone recall the name?

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to find a copy of a book on cryptozoology from the 1980s. It largely centred on high-strangeness cases and (ultra-helpful description) it had a beige cover with a medieval illustration of a black dog rearing up (I seem to recall it was the Bungay one). There were photographic plates and a particularly unpleasant section on the 'man-monkey' that left me paralysed with fear as a callow youth.
Any ideas?

MrHyde said:
Any ideas?

Your describing Mystery Animals of Britain and Ireland by Graham J McEwan. Great book. As you say its full of high strangeness rather than more mainstream cryptozoology. The Horse-man of County Louth is the one that always sends a shiver up my spine.

I've just re-read the Man-Monkey bit - it is a bit of a tingler isn't it!

See, that's what's great about this place. Ta for that. Now, ebay here I come...

I've just spent a very enjoyable half-hour re-reading the chapter Many Kinds of Life. Even if you believed every single theory that came your way, however alternative, bizarre, cranky or downright insane, you would still have a job explaining away some of those stories. What a strange place we live in!

Back