• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Déjà Vu Phone Call

Cherrybomb

Justified & Ancient
Hi all

I've recently been going through a really tough time dealing with mental health issues, and a lot of memories have been "churned up". One of them is something I'd like to share with you all.

In 2001 I was working part time in Blockbuster video (lucky me!). I'd had a few days off for exams - I was a student nurse at the time, too, and one evening I got a telephone call from my manager at Blockbusters. She was telling me the work rota for the following week & letting me know who the key holders would be, etc. All exciting stuff. The following evening I got another call - from this manager again - she was telling me all the same things. I wasn't paying full attention as we'd gone over this the day before, when she snaps at me that I'm clearly not listening. I explain that she had called me the evening before and we'd gone over this. She stop and sounds rather shocked. She swears blind that she didn't speak to me the day before. All a bit odd. I put it down to her having called and forgotten, something not really like she would do :shock:

The really strange thing is that its only the past couple of very difficult weeks that its been something I'd really thought about.

:?

Sorry you're having a rough time. It's worse when you experience a 'confusion field' -at least that's what I call them.
You see them at checkouts where people just blip out and customer and checkout assistant both fail at the same time (for no particular reason) causing a huge wait for everyone in line.

Find something nicer to dwell on than work stuff. You're not paid enough to worry into the night about their great business goal and it distracts you from completing your own ubermasterplan.

Hi Cherrybomb. :) I'd wondered what happened to you! Hopefully you are doing better now, or will be soon, at least.

Interesting story. Do you think it was truly a case of deja vu on your part, rather than the manager making a mistake and calling you twice? Do you recall if you'd written down the information the first time you'd heard it, or anything like that? That might be some way of establishing whether it was one thing or the other.

I'm no stranger to mental health issues myself, and memories from my most troubled and depressed times can have a strange "haunting" feeling when recalling them.

Good to hear from you again Cherrybomb.

I wonder if the memory has bubbled up because it's an example of someone, perhaps unintentionally, undermining your reality? People do stuff like that all the time without realising, though it seems to be a difficult subject to discuss, and only problematic if you're not feeling too great already, or you get too many people around you doing too much of it.

Please do try not to let it bug you, it may just have been a braifart on your then managers part that she didn't want to back down from.

OneWingedBird said:
Please do try not to let it bug you, it may just have been a braifart on your then managers part that she didn't want to back down from.

This sounds the most likely reason, I doubt it was your fault, CB. Get well soon, it's all too easy to dwell on the awkward stuff from the past if you're not 100%. It's all too easy even if you are!

Stress is amazing at wiping short term memory. Its done it to me and I've seen others totally forget they've just done something.

Your manager may well have called the day before, forgotten she had, cue over the top "No I didn't!" emotional response from her that left you weirded out.

Hope things are improving CB. Remember use your supports, family, friends and others in your life and let them know you're having a bad time of it so they can help you through it.

Thank you everyone :likee: I'm working on getting better & hope to be back on here a again a bit more, soon.

I think it might be that she didn't want to lose face by admitting her mistake. I hope so - the house i was living in at that time was an odd place. I used to hear my name being called while living there alone.

:shock:

cherrybomb said:
Thank you everyone :likee: I'm working on getting better & hope to be back on here a again a bit more, soon.

I think it might be that she didn't want to lose face by admitting her mistake. I hope so - the house i was living in at that time was an odd place. I used to hear my name being called while living there alone.

Brr! when you are feeling up to it, we'd like to hear about it

cherrybomb said:

Good to have you back. I know its a struggle to get back to "normal", been through it myself a few times.

Back