• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Damned / Rejected Science (Miscellaneous)

A weird article on "WTF" (I really can't summarize that), nowretracted. And the Twitter thread with more:

View attachment 59269

Here is a link with a photo of the first author of the study - if the link doesn't work, one may easily find with the author's name and the key words of "sperm teleportation":

https://forbetterscience.com/2020/1...tween-massimo-fioranelli-and-alireza-sepehri/

Thank you again for this link to an alternate universe.

Making the "stinkiest" chemical known to man, Thioacetone.

How bad is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone

'Thioacetone has an intensely foul odor. Like many low molecular weight organosulfur compounds, the smell is potent and can be detected even when highly diluted.[8] In 1889, an attempt to distill the chemical in the German city of Freiburg was followed by cases of vomiting, nausea and unconsciousness in an area with a radius of 0.75 kilometres (0.47 mi) around the laboratory due to the smell.[9] In an 1890 report, British chemists at the Whitehall Soap Works in Leeds noted that dilution seemed to make the smell worse and described the smell as "fearful".[10] Thioacetone is considered a dangerous chemical due to its extremely foul odor and ability to render people unconscious, induce vomiting, and be detected over long distances.

In 1967, Esso researchers repeated the experiment of cracking trithioacetone, at a laboratory south of Oxford, UK. They reported their experience as follows:

Recently we found ourselves with an odour problem beyond our worst expectations. During early experiments, a stopper jumped from a bottle of residues, and, although replaced at once, resulted in an immediate complaint of nausea and sickness from colleagues working in a building two hundred yards [180 m] away. Two of our chemists who had done no more than investigate the cracking of minute amounts of trithioacetone found themselves the object of hostile stares in a restaurant and suffered the humiliation of having a waitress spray the area around them with a deodorant. The odours defied the expected effects of dilution since workers in the laboratory did not find the odours intolerable ... and genuinely denied responsibility since they were working in closed systems. To convince them otherwise, they were dispersed with other observers around the laboratory, at distances up to a quarter of a mile [0.40 km], and one drop of either acetone gem-dithiol or the mother liquors from crude trithioacetone crystallisations were placed on a watch glass in a fume cupboard. The odour was detected downwind in seconds.

Making the "stinkiest" chemical known to man, Thioacetone.

I watched this the other day; long-form videos by "Nile Red" have become a rarity. He is my favourite Canadian chemistry geek and still contrives to look about sixteen. Maybe he has found the Red Tincture!

He does like a bit of theatrics - renting an island, for this experiment, in case he causes a big stink. As islands go, it isn't far from civilization, as we find out when he kills a small fishing village . . . :evillaugh:

Maybe some of the above is not an accurate report.

I watched this the other day; long-form videos by "Nile Red" have become a rarity. He is my favourite Canadian chemistry geek and still contrives to look about sixteen. Maybe he has found the Red Tincture!

He does like a bit of theatrics - renting an island, for this experiment, in case he causes a big stink. As islands go, it isn't far from civilization, as we find out when he kills a small fishing village . . . :evillaugh:

Maybe some of the above is not an accurate report.
He does provide a link for another youtuber who he found out beat him to this experiment but I haven't watched that one yet.

Here's a list of possible research questions. Highly amusing and stimulating. Includes nose pickings, but also slenderman. Add the ones you like below:

https://gwern.net/question?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Boogers: what are dried nasal mucuses, or boogers, made of? What are all their types? Why do they vary so much in color, ap⁣pear⁣ance, struc⁣ture, and taste? If they are just dried mucus, why are there big ones deep in⁣side the nose where dry⁣ing out would seem to be dif⁣fi⁣cult

While petting cats, I ac⁣ci⁣den⁣tally dis⁣cov⁣ered cats are fas⁣ci⁣nated by the smell & taste of earwax, par⁣tic⁣u⁣larly that of hu⁣mans, and this in⁣ter⁣est can last in⁣def⁣i⁣nitely. Dogs & hu⁣mans, for com⁣par⁣i⁣son, are not. A num⁣ber of anec⁣dotes have re⁣ported this over the years, but no for⁣mal re⁣search ap⁣pears to have been done on this

How common are, and what is going on psy⁣cho⁣log⁣i⁣cally, in the oc⁣ca⁣sional erup⁣tion of large shared2 fantasy worlds (“paracosms”) among children & ado⁣les⁣cents?There are many cases of a (typi⁣cally pu⁣bes⁣cent, typ⁣i⁣cally fe⁣male, sim⁣i⁣lar to mass psychogenic ill⁣ness) child or adoles⁣cent build⁣ing such an in⁣tense fantasy-world that they wind up sucking in & con⁣vinc⁣ing fam⁣ily/friends/classmates. J. R. R. Tolkien’s worldbuild⁣ing may not have started early enough to be an ex⁣am⁣ple of this as his cousins & his world⁣build⁣ing was almost ex⁣clu⁣sively lin⁣guis⁣tic, but the Brontë sisters are a clearcut famous case. They typ⁣i⁣cally go un⁣re⁣ported ex⁣cept in ex⁣treme cases (such as the Parker-Hulme murder case3, the Slender Man stab⁣bing, the Man⁣ches⁣ter stab⁣bing), often reported only in pass⁣ing4, as back⁣ground ma⁣te⁣r⁣ial5 or via anecdotes—I have been told of 4 cases (3 from ac⁣quain⁣tances, one in⁣di⁣rectly), all of which fol⁣low the same pat⁣tern of a young fe⁣male teenager build⁣ing up a fan⁣tasy world (with heavy input from dreams) and en⁣gross⁣ing friends/classmates (with the excep⁣tion of a male twin pair, see also cryptopha⁣sia).

... of a young fe⁣male teenager build⁣ing up a fan⁣tasy world (with heavy input from dreams) and en⁣gross⁣ing friends/classmates
The most famous case of this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man_stabbing

I really don't know why girls are more prone to this, I remember my pre-teen years me and my group of friends were consumed with everything ghost and one friend reported a ghost followed her home. Looking back now, I think it was a case of psyching herself out and attributing non-paranormal events as ghost related, but at the time we completely believed her house was haunted.

It wasn't....

Yes, most teenage girls (in my limited experience) are not so unified.

Boys would be more expected.

the Brontë sisters are a clearcut famous case.

One has to take into account the rather enclosed, limited lives the sisters were obliged to lead. In this respect, it would be extraordinary if they hadn't 'lived in their heads'. To link their lives to and female criminality and murder cases, as you've done, seems careless at best; besides, it tends to be men who commit premeditated crimes.

Last edited:
…it tends to be men who commit premeditated crimes.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Back