• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dark Water: From The Director Of Ringu

A quick google has come up with "From the Bottom of the Murky Waters" as the translation for the Japanese - not sure how accurate that is.

As for the film itself, it's...well, it's okay. I saw it a while ago at the local arthouse cinema and was expecting it to be as scary as Ring which frightened me hugely. (Still haven't dared watch it again and I saw it over 2 years ago!)

There are lots of the same themes in Dark Water as there are in Ring and there are one or two very tense scenes. The atmosphere is brilliantly done; very oppressive. There is a lot of talk about the 'amazing' ending; I was surprised right enough, but not in an :_omg: way, more like 'oh'. It's quite sad too.

Definitely worth a watch, but don't go expecting Ring, like I did. The fool I am.

DARK WATER gives us a child ghost instead of the usual scorned female. But even our child ghost is a scorned child, so her reason for haunting a mother and her child is the same as the reasons all the other ghosts in the genre has for haunting other people. What I'm trying to say is, you've already seen it.

Move along now.

Hm, don't think I'll bother.

Re: Ringu

Ringu Was that the one about the stop motion, plasticine penguin, from hell? :eek:

'Dark Water' absolutely scared my pants off. Though I don't watch many horror films, so that's probably why. I felt towards the end though that it got really, really odd, and it was hard to know what was going on. (I won't go into it, don't want to be a spoiler). :nooo:

Looking forward to seeing this after the disappointment of 'The Eye'. 'Ringu' has the best Horror moment ever IMO. One scene that sends chills down your spine just thinking of it. Unbeleivable terror!

A review of the American remake:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0382628/

Dark Water

*** Cert 15

Steve Rose
Friday July 22, 2005
The Guardian

Walter Salles' previous films, such as The Motorcycle Diaries and Central Station, hardly marked him out as a master of suspense, so it should be no surprise that this is an accomplished but not particularly scary remake of Hideo Nakata's Japanese apartment horror.

Now located in rainy Roosevelt Island, New York, the scary apartment in question is part of a hulking estate "in the brutalist style" as smarmy agent John C Reilly puts it to Jennifer Connelly. Since Connelly is in the middle of a custody battle, and in desperate need of a base for herself and her daughter, she moves in anyway. And sure enough, spooky things start to happen: a damp patch on the ceiling grows and grows, human hair comes out of the tap, her daughter starts talking of an imaginary friend.

It's not clear if Connelly needs an exorcist, a shrink, or just a decent plumber, and Salles keeps us guessing as long as possible - too long, as it turns out. It's as if he decided a straightforward horror movie was beneath him, but while he's busy skulking around the corridors and shooting Connelly's distraught features through every wet pane of glass he can find, the tension disappears down the plughole. When he does attempt some good old-fashioned horror flourishes towards the end, he only underlines what a good job Nakata did with the Japanese original.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/C ... 84,00.html

I LOVED this movie. I watched it a while back on DVD and although it didnt scare me in the way that Ringu did, I thought the atmosphere created was phenomenal. It was so oppressive and depressing, the constant rain and the lack of colour was so effective and the apartment building took on a part of its own, much like the hotel in The Shining. Worth a look definitely, but cant say Im looking forward to a Hollywood remake! :roll:

I keep on coming up with 'Ringu of Dark Water' a terrifying tale of a haunting by a ghostly otter.

Dark Water (R1) in December - Menus added

Buena Vista Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Dark Water for 26th December 2005 priced at $29.99 SRP. Walter Salles directs this American remake of Hideo Nakata's Japanese horror Dark Water.

On DVD, DARK WATER will include deleted scenes; “The Sound of Terror” revealing the subliminal soundscapes of the film; a look at the film’s intense sequences; and “Beneath The Surface: The Making of DARK WATER. The film will be available in two versions: the original, Theatrical “PG-13” version of the film, and an Unrated version with footage not seen in theaters.

The Theatrical Edition is Full Screen only, the Unrated version is Widescreen. Audio options include English, French and Spanish language tracks (Dolby Digital 5.1) and subtitles.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58348

FS:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AWY ... enantmc-20

Unrated:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AWY ... enantmc-20

# DVD Features:

* Available Subtitles: Spanish, French
* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Unknown Format), Spanish (Unknown Format)
* Deleted Scenes
* Sound Design featurette "The Sound of Terror"
* Making-of featurette
* Analyzing key sequences with viewing options

Original:
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009KA ... enantmc-20
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21

R2 (out in Nov):
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000A ... ntmagaz-21

DVD Features:
• Special Feature Information:
° Beneath The Surface The Making Of Dark Water
° The Sound Of Terror
° Extraordinary Ensemble
° Deleted Scenes
° Analysing Dark Water Sequences
° Interactive Bathroom Scene
° Audio Described

Dark Water really disappointed me . It is not fair to compare it to Ringu (mainly because it is Japanese and by the same director) . Ringu created a new benchmark in horror (and was truly terrifying), whereas Dark Water is only mildly scary and rather bland.

Back