• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Farrant's 'Exploring The Supernatural'

FOR PAULSAMFREYA

I’m not sure about the Ram Inn as far as its alleged haunting goes, and I agree that some of the stories could have been due to unfounded exaggeration, although there IS something very strange about the place. Of course, this could be largely due to its age and largely unchanged structure, for its accompanying atmosphere would of course encourage ‘story telling’ and provoke the imagination; as is surely the case with many old buildings.

My postings earlier explain what I personally experienced when I visited the place on two occasions (in 1998 and 2002), but again, there was nothing to offer concrete evidence of psychic activity. Strange feelings or occurrences (whatever they were), there was nothing to disprove the possibility that some logical causation lay behind them.

I am less sceptical about the strange light in the photograph. If I had not been present myself, then very possibly, I would have been.

But there are probably many more things to be discovered there, and with this in mind, we are planning another visit for next spring.

DAVID FARRANT.

I don't mean to be dismissive of other peoples's experiences, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression; I for one have had a lifetime of interest in such matters, whilst remaining, I admit, as psychic as a housebrick! The Ram Inn is certainly a remarkable place, with an extremely pervasive atmosphere of oppresion and decay, as I'm sure you'll agree, but that could be due to the condition of the building and the dank environment. I've visited only twice, the first time there was no way I was turning off the lights in the Bishops Room, and stayed awake all night. Was that to do with the reputation of the Ram, and hightened expectations? I just wonder if there was any recorded activity at the site before the previous owner alledged it occured; is the place founded on reputation and nothing else? After all, put a group of interested people into the Ram, tell them it's the most haunted building in Britain, turn the lights off, and anyone would get spooked!
Again, I'm honestly not a complete sceptic, I just don't think the place is all it's cracked up to be. I would be happy to be proved wrong! :)

THANKS FOR THAT PAULSAMFREYA

But there is really no need to apologise as I think we’re both basically in agreement.

As you probably remember, John Humpheries took over the Ram Inn (or rather brought it) in 1967, and I hope to ‘completely fill this period in’ from his accounts, or anybody else he can put me in touch with who may have had independent experiences during this time.

But I would love to hear from anybody who might know anything of the exact history of the place (especially of a psychic nature) before this, which is yet another labourious project I’m working on at the moment. Easier said than done, I know, but hopefully I’ll get there in the end; or at least, a little closer!

If you do not mind my asking; were you with a psychic group (or similar) when you visited the Ram, or was it more of a private enterprise? It has been a bit of both in my case, but then, I don’t usually adhere to laid down schedules.

I think we would both agree that the Ram is a ‘spooky place’. But I use the words sparingly, as I hope I have explained!

DAVID FARRANT.

PS Thank you also for your reply Elfriend and for the useful link, Lethe.

You're welcome, when I was on their MB, an impromptu trip was suggested to me, I think some of those on the site might know John Humphries quite well. I'm afraid I chickened out :rolleyes:

My visits, a couple of weeks ago and a year ago, involved myself and like minded/interested friends. I first heard about the Ram ten or so years ago, when a local radio show did a live broadcast from the inn; it took me nine years before I discovered a. you could stay there, and b. it was only a few miles away!

On my first visit we took a photo in the attic that produced an odd unexplained mist (see thread elsewhere about this photo) and heard a door latch rattle twice for no apparent reason.

On this last visit I was accompanied by my twin brother who has seen two "ghosts" in his previous house (figures of a man and, on another ocasion, a small child), and a friend who has witnessed a large ginger cat walk through a solid wooden door in his home!
Our night was uneventful though.

The Minsden Mystery - Part One

THE MINSDEN MYSTERY

MINSDEN CHAPEL, now just a secluded ruin on the summit of a wooded hill 3 miles south of Hitchin in Hertfordshire has long laid claim to a solitary ghost; that of a 15thcentury monk that reputedly appears around Halloween, the sound of a 'phantom bell' often accompanying his lonely appearances. The figure has also been seen ascending a flight of invisible steps which were presumably a part of the Chapel's interior before it fell into serious decline in the latter part of the 17th century.

Little more is known about the Chapel's ghostly visitant, although another story has it that the monks at Minsden once nursed victims of the Black Death in 1665, and that the monk himself (who may have become an eventual fatality) returns to offer solace for the souls of those long since departed.

Whatever the truth behind this story, it is a fact that on one occasion an appearance of this ghostly figure was almost certainly faked by an over-zealous photographer who is down on local record as one T.W. Latchmore. In 1907, he claimed to have actually photographed the figure; although it is likely that he used a 'double exposure' to gain his illustration of the spectre-legend. In fact, this photograph is still in evidence and appears in volume two of an old book by Reginald Hine titled The History of Hitchin.

Of course, the use of one trick photograph does not necessarily invalidate the entire Minsden haunting; to the contrary, this episode could itself be taken as proof that as far back as 1907, the story about the ghostly monk was in existence - notwithstanding the means employed by someone out to 'prove' its authenticity.

But Reginald Hine himself could certainly not be accused of such wanton sentimentality. A dedicated historian, he leased Minsden Chapel from the Clergy at Hitchin at the beginning of the century and it became one of his favourite his favourite spots; so much so, that at his request his ashes were scattered around the Chapel ruins and he vowed that after his death he would endeavour "in all ghostly means" to return to Minsden Chapel and protect its hallowed walls.

There have been no reports of his ghost but his memorial stone, at least, is still in evidence in the Chapel ruins.

There are certain events that have occurred at Minsden in more recent years, however, which might not be entirely compatible with stories about the ghostly monk; indeed, which would suggest that Minsden Chapel has been visited by very 'earthly entities' with some clandestine purpose in mind…

In the summer of 1983, the distinct aftermath of some occult ceremony was discovered in the ruins; the charred remains of a fire surrounded by stones marked with occult symbols and burnt down candles, indicating that some occult rite had taken place there. (The author witnessed the remains of this ceremony in late August 1983 whilst on a visit to Minsden Chapel by day.)

Of course, the remains of some obscure occult rite does not necessarily suggest the existence of 'witches' or 'Satanists' practising at Minsden Chapel. The culprits may well have been youngsters 'out for kicks', but if this was the case, it is worth noting that sometimes occult activity - even if attempted by amateurs - can sometimes activate certain forms of psychic energy which, in turn, can aid the manifestation of ghostly phenomena.

There is no way of telling if such activity had any bearing on the frequency of the ghostly monk's appearances, although it would not be the first time that the actions of 'occult dabblers' at potentially haunted sites, has led to an escalation in psychic activity.

Be that as it may, Peter Rosewarne from nearby Baldock - himself having no interest in things occult, or even taking seriously the existence of ghosts as such - is quite convinced that some uncanny presence exists at Minsden Chapel. He recalls a visit to the Chapel in the summer of 1959 accompanied by a lady friend and a small fox terrier …

It was a warm summers afternoon around 4 p.m. and a bright cloudless day. We left the motor car at the bottom of the footpath and entered the Chapel and looked around. The dog wandered off while we were looking at the Hine memorial stone and we noticed this was cracked in half. Eventually the dog returned and seemed afraid. All at once, the atmosphere seemed to go cold and the dog whined and lay down, cringing on the ground. We then noticed that although the sun was out and the day cloudless, it had gone dark in the Chapel. It was a strange experience as neither of us had any experience of anything occult and no interest in things psychic.

(c) David Farrant 1999

Attached Photograph shows David at Minsden Chapel (c) The British Psychic and Occult Society picture archive

The Minsden Mystery Part Two

Another intriguing account (totally unrelated) appearing to give further credence to the Minsden haunting, comes from Mrs Mary Prowse from Hitchin who recounts a similar experience when she was visiting Minsden Chapel with her husband and young son in the summer of 1975.

It was a hot summer's day, but Mary Prowse distinctly recalled the cold, gloomy atmosphere inside the ruins, despite the fact that the Chapel had no roof and there was nothing to obstruct the sunlight. Shortly afterwards, Mrs Prowse took some family snapshots just outside the ruins and, when later developed, two of these showed what appeared to be the vague shape of a 'cowled figure' standing in the background under an archway at the entrance to the Chapel.

I examined these photographs and there was indeed an inexplicable 'shape' appearing to resemble a vague human figure standing under the archway but unfortunately, whilst willing to cooperate as best she could, Mrs Prowse had long since mislaid the negatives to these photographs (which were in colour) and the quality of the prints themselves was not sufficient in texture to provide any positive identification of paranormal activity.

Mrs Prowse concluded her account by saying …

There's something not quite right there. It was an eerie feeling and even though it was a sunny day it was really cold up there. We couldn't get away quick enough.

Other sightings of a ghostly monk in the vicinity (perhaps the same phenomenon) have been reported in the grounds of St. Mary's Church in Hitchin which itself, was reputedly built upon the site of an old monastery. The grounds of St Mary's now contain Warner Almshouses, built as residences for the poor in 1893 but now modernised into private residences. Interestingly enough, a secret tunnel is said to run beneath the grounds of St. Mary's which leads to Biggin Almshouses (one of the oldest buildings in Hitchin dating back to 1391) and Hitchin Priory - the latter also reputed to be haunted by a ghostly monk.

Mrs E. Richards, who lives in Warner House, is another witness to what may have been the ghostly monk.

It was a wet and windy Sunday afternoon in 1974, and Mrs Richards was alone in the house tidying up after a visit from her great-grandchild. Suddenly, through the window, she saw a tall figure dressed in black, its head covered by a cowl, crossing the back yard.

Fully expecting somebody to knock, she went to the door but there was no-one there, and no exit by which this 'person' could have left.

Realising her 'visitor' could have been of ghostly origin, Mrs Richards later recalled her experience to some regular workmen who were under contract to maintain the building; mainly to enquire if anybody else had seen such a figure. This request was partially successful for, although one of the men 'laughed his head off', another took her account more seriously saying he had heard similar accounts from other residents.

But Mrs Richards was undeterred about any frivolous reactions to her sighting …

I don't care what anybody thinks. I know what I saw, and that is the truth, she said.

Ghostly monk or no, it is a fact that an atmosphere of intense gloom and despair indeed envelops the tiny ruins of Minsden Chapel, and the notable absence of any birds, despite thick woodland all around, would suggest that some psychic force or 'presence' is operative there. Animals, at least, are known to be susceptible to certain 'influences' often undetected by the human senses, and will avoid spots where these may be especially potent.

Minsden's ghostly monk, like many other cases of reputed psychic phenomena, may well remain a mystery without material proof to substantiate - even refute - its authenticity. But in conclusion, it is interesting to note that Minsden Chapel itself falls upon a ley line, and to remind ourselves that under conditions, these lines may be instrumental in conducting and 'replaying' certain forms of psychic energy along their course, resulting in the appearance of many so-called 'ghosts' or 'spirits'.

Paradoxically, whilst sometimes appearing as visible forms, such entities may posses no more intelligence than that of an out-dated television picture.

But truth often proves to be stranger than fiction, and perhaps the very appearance of these 'ethereal pictures - as and when these are seen to appear - could provide an important clue to the real origins of many ghostly phenomena.

(c) David Farrant 1999

I went to boarding school in Letchworth, near Hitchin. We always heard rumours about "haunted" Minsden Chapel and, sincei t was quite a good bicycle ride we visited a couple of times.

Quite creepy but nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Oh and a question, David. I notice at the bottom of this account you've copyrighted this in 1999. Does this mean you've published this account already and merely reprinting onto the board? I'd like to read the original work.

MINSDEN CHAPEL

FOR STORMKHAN

To clarify your question: the BPOS investigation took place at Minsden Chapel during 1983 and 84 when we visited the Chapel and the surrounding area. I actually discovered the remains of quite a large fire (2 feet or so) inside the Chapel surrounded by stones marked with occult symbols. I am not suggesting that this was part of some ‘professional rite’, (it could have been youths ‘messing around’), but it does suggest, as you say, that the place was reputed to be haunted locally and was being visited accordingly.

I obviously had direct access to all the records (photographs, etc) of this investigation (as with others), and when I came to release another book on ‘ghosts’ in 1999 (don’t worry, moderators; I’m not going to name it!) I used much of this source material together with later material to form the basis of a chapter in it. Hence the current piece; although I should point out that I have not returned to Minsden Chapel since this time. I have referred to these notes since then, however, usually in talks I have given on unexplained ‘ghostly figures’.

DAVID FARRANT

Ghost Information Wanted

GHOST REQUEST

I am presently preparing a new book on ghosts, mysteries, supernatural happenings, etc. and I wondered if anybody had any information in this respect. Personal accounts or experiences would be preferred, as opposed to well documented stories.

I must know anybody’s real name and address, obviously, as I cannot publish any accounts in the book which are unsubstantiated. That does not mean that I will name people who do not wish to be named or publish exact addresses; people could contact me privately about this (my address and telephone number would be provided for this purpose) but in the meantime could use usual ‘pen’ names for the purposes of posting up here if so required.

So, anyone! Got any ghostly tales you want to tell!? I would love to hear from anybody.

DAVID FARRANT, PRESIDENT,

BRITISH PSYCHIC AND OCCULT SOCIETY.

Ghosts of London

[GHOSTS ' LONDON

A RATHER GENTLE GHOST STORY comes from a lady who lives in Bush Hill Park, North London; although at her request she is referred to here only by her first name, Jean.

Her story concerns some strange occurrences at her house - a large Edwardian house in Queen's Anne Grove which was built in 1913 - and is 'gentle' because its ghost is neither frightening nor malign.

In fact, Jean moved into the house in 1980 with her husband and two young children - a baby girl of six months and a little boy aged two - following a family who had lived there for four years. During their tenancy the previous owners had done a certain amount of work to the house, but although the ground floor was nicely decorated, much less attention had been given to the rest of the house; in particular, to the first floor. Here, two bedrooms overlooking the rear had been roughly artexed with their walls painted over, and a small box room at the front bore rather undistinguished wallpaper, but the largest bedroom - the master bedroom - lay with stripped walls, with a yellowing ceiling that appeared to suggest that it had been left in a general state of neglect and disrepair. Jean thought this was unusual - if not somewhat uncanny - because the main bedroom would not have been expected to have been left in such a state.

But, after moving in, the house was gradually improved and eventually, the master bedroom was completely redecorated.

During this period, after having initially moved into the house, Jean's husband was kept very busy at work and sometimes did not arrive home until late in the evening. Alone in the house, apart from the children (and by this time they were usually asleep), Jean soon discovered that it was a common occurrence to hear the sound of 'somebody' moving on the stairs; also the sound of distinct footsteps 'walking' across the first floor landing. Invariably, when she went out to look, the sounds abruptly stopped and subsequent investigation revealed no possible cause for the sounds; certainly the lack of any human agency.

In fact, these 'footsteps' occurred with increasing regularity, and although by this time she was not really afraid (there was a lack of any 'hostile atmosphere' accompanying the sounds, for example, that might have otherwise suggested that they could pose any possible threat), Jean was more intrigued to discover any explanation that could explain their causation.

When eventually, she mentioned the matter to her husband, he was less inclined to accept that there could be any 'supernatural explanation' for these persistent sounds; indeed, he pointed out that the house was old and would be prone to such noises, and apart from this, as the house was semi-detached, Jean could well have been hearing the movements of the people next door.

Such an observation, of course, was not beyond the realms of possibility, but did little to explain why the sounds always stopped abruptly when Jean went out to investigate; or indeed, why they occurred regularly in the same places with such timed persistency.

But accepting this as perhaps being the only possible explanation, Jean gradually lost interest in these nocturnal footsteps; at least, she tended to ignore them accepting that the whole thing had some logical explanation and should not be allowed to interfere with her normal family life.

Indeed, things eventually 'returned to normal' in the household ... the strange sounds not abating but being accepted as a 'part of everyday life'.

Then, one day in 1987, Jean was surprised at the door by a visit from a pleasant old lady who explained that, when young, she had been a frequent visitor to the house.

She explained that she used to visit some elderly relatives who lived there, and went on to say that she was only visiting the area that day and was anxious to once again see the house. In fact, it transpired that she knew the place well, and could even identify many features in the garden where she recalled she'd spent many happy hours playing as a child.

Her curiosity aroused, Jean asked this lady about some of the house's history, and was informed that, at the time, one of her relatives had become ill there - eventually becoming bedridden - and it had been necessary to employ a live-in nurse to look after an old lady who needed constant care and attention; the room in which she'd been confined being the master bedroom. But as this old lady was very demanding, she needed her nurse constantly, and her poor companion would frequently called from her bed to attend her.

Following this encounter, Jean told the author ... "I then understood that these were the movements that I had heard; the companion coming to and fro along the landing attending the old lady."

"Our neighbour opposite confirms that elderly people did occupy the house until it was brought by our predecessors. Maybe they felt stronger manifestations of whatever was happening; maybe that's why they hadn't decorated the master bedroom; perhaps that's why they only stayed in the house for four years ..."

Such an observation could indeed be true. Many old houses are capable of harbouring or 'storing' psychic energy which, in turn, is capable of 'trapping' poignant sounds or emotions of the living (even images of the living) and transmitting these far into the future; at least, as long as a specific environment remains intact.

This is not to imply, of course, that all forms of psychic activity are just 'dead' or unintelligent mental impressions or vibrations that have somehow been 'caught' in the atmosphere to be picked up at some future dates by unsuspecting people (though when this commonly happens, such transmissions - in the form of sound, visual effects or feelings - are invariably interpreted as 'ghosts'); but I would venture to suggest, without expounding on other existent forms of psychic activity, that certainly a large proportion of alleged ghostly phenomena can be safely placed under such a category.

(c) David Farrant 2005

Haunted Hill Hall

HAUNTED HILL HALL

Hill Hall stands rather majestically amidst overgrown grounds near the small village of Theydon Mount in Essex. An Elizabethan Manor House that fell into series decline in later centuries, it was eventually utilised as a women’s’ open prison in the 1950’s, but later closed and renovated in 1986; the purpose, apparently, to open it to the public as an excellent example of 17th century architecture. (The building has massive painted Muriel’s that decorate the walls and ceilings which were apparently a prime object for preservation). It is supposedly haunted by a melancholy white firure; that of a woman who has been sighted in the Hall and outside in the grounds, usually near a large ornamental pond not far from two long since disused tennis courts.

In the early summer of 1986, the members of the British Psychic and Occult Society gathered in the grounds late one night with the intention of spotting - and possibly photographing - this phenomenon.

At precisely 2.15 am a pale figure was seen approximately 150 yards distant emerging from the back of the ruined mansion, which glided quite rapidly across a spacious lawn before promptly disappearing near the pond.

As it moved it cast no shadow despite bright moonlight. When it did not re-emerge the site of its disappearance was inspected and, although nothing further was seen, quite unexpectedly a “whispering female voice” echoed quite distinctly across the water.

The actual words, unfortunately, were indiscernible but there was a distince impression that it intended to be heard, as if trying to convey some message. An attempt was made to photograph this figure but, although this was clearly visible, this was unsuccessful.

Encouraged by the apparent appearance of this spectre, however, later, more thorough enquiries were made about last known occupants of the Hall and its history.

Perhaps expectedly, many stories about the Hall turned out to be unsubstantial or so vague as to be misleading. But as for the ghost itself, this seemed to have become firmly embedded as part of the house’s history:

Essentially, the story went that the ghost was that of an Elizabethan maiden who was doomed to ‘wander the earth’ after her death - penance for causing the death of two rival suitors who fought a duel for her affections, but ended up killing each other.

Whether this story was based on original fact was, of course, impossible to discover.

But the figure itself was witnessed by three unsuspecting people and, ghost or otherwise, this certainly seemed to give it some credence in present day reality.

DAVID FARRANT © 2005

Robin Hood's Ghost Finally Laid To Rest

Two renowned psychic researchers from London, David Farrant, and distinguished exorcist Gareth Medway, hastened north last week to rescue two distressed damsels, from the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society. Un-merry maidens Catherine Fearnley and Barbara Green founder of the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society have for some time now been coming under attack, from malevolent forces that are said to lurk around the famous outlaw’s grave at Kirklees in West Yorkshire. These sinister influences, said to be the ghost of the evil prioress who murdered Robin by bleeding him to death and then supposedly turned into a vampire, have in the past been successful in undermining the legend of Robin Hood of Yorkshire, and Robin’s Grave has been left in a derelict condition, rotting away in the deep, dark mysterious woods of the Kirklees estate near Brighouse. Barbara and Catherine have tried to bring Robin out from under his dusty cloak of secrecy and to restore his grave to its former glory, but to no avail. Their efforts have been thwarted by forces beyond their control, some of them of a supernatural origin.

David Farrant , Gareth Medway, Catherine and Barbara and three other people finally conducted a full scale exorcism at the grave on the evening of April 20th. Their secret ritual involved an arduous trip to the grave under cover of darkness. Their ritual was based on an ancient esoteric tradition known only to a few, and was completely successful in that the powers of darkness at the grave have now been fully dispersed.

The ritual was filmed throughout to ensure that the precise details, incantations and other invocations, would be fully protected from misinterpretation from any who were not actually present. More details on this case to follow …

Catherine Fearnley
Secretary The British Psychic and Occult Society and The Yorkshire Robin Hood Society.

Yes, some buggers on here are very good at misinterpretation...

Evidence is Good!

So sad Robin has been restless for so long. :(

Their ritual was based on an ancient esoteric tradition known only to a few, and was completely successful in that the powers of darkness at the grave have now been fully dispersed.

I am curious to know how this was ascertained - some kind of before and after divination of some sort?

FOR EMPEROR,

I think its maybe best if I pass your query about the ceremony at Robin Hood's grave over to Gareth Medway who conducted this particular ritual there. I am sure he can explain it in the detail necessary to answer your query. I will just say now that two major Deities were invoked and the ceremony ended by conducting a blessing of the grave-site and the immediate area. We all felt that this ceremony was successful, in that the malevolent force or forces reported there over the last few years, have now been dispersed.

I am meeting with Gareth at the end of this week and will show him your query which I am sure he will want to answer, probably then.

DAVID FARRANT.

CathandDavid said:
FOR EMPEROR,

I think its maybe best if I pass your query about the ceremony at Robin Hood's grave over to Gareth Medway who conducted this particular ritual there. I am sure he can explain it in the detail necessary to answer your query. I will just say now that two major Deities were invoked and the ceremony ended by conducting a blessing of the grave-site and the immediate area. We all felt that this ceremony was successful, in that the malevolent force or forces reported there over the last few years, have now been dispersed.

I am meeting with Gareth at the end of this week and will show him your query which I am sure he will want to answer, probably then.

DAVID FARRANT.

OK cool - thats great.

Did you ever arrive at a firm conclusion about what these "malevolent forces" were and how the manifested themselves? "The evil prioress"?

FOR EMPEROR

RE ROBIN HOOD'S GRAVE
Thank you for your reply Emperor. I will still ask Gareth to post up re. the ceremony on Friday, but in the meantime, may I fill in a little of my own involvement.

I have been interested in the grave-site for some years now but only actually went to it -or more precisely went to the area - on April 17th. Gareth Medway and myself were invited to spend a week with Barbara Green who is the founder of The Yorkshire Robin Hood Society (she founded this Society in the early 1984) with the intention of getting some more information about the grave and other closely related supposedly haunted sites in the immediate area.

Regarding the grave itself, there have been several local reports over the years of a 'ghostly figure' that has been seen in the vicinity of the grave. This 'figure' has been reported as that of the evil Prioress who supposedly bled Robin Hood to death in a ruined 13th century gatehouse not far from the present grave; a female apparition with red eyes and an 'evil disposition' that has somehow - at least in some quarters - taken on the reputation of being a 'vampire'! (Personally I would suspect that the latter is based upon the circumstances of Robin's alleged death i.e .the alleged loss of blood and 'vampires).

I interviewed a witness first hand when I was up in Yorkshire who claimed to have encountered this spectre on two occasions, once in 1972 and again years later in 1991. His account is really too detailed to relate here at the moment, but the second occasion apparently perturbed him so much (his son fainted by the grave among other things while his daughter witnessed the appearance of this 'woman') that he has since refused to go anywhere near the grave, and adamantly declined to attend our vigil (ceremony) when invited to do so on Wednesday night, April 20th.

I will give you more details on the case Emperor, but at the moment I'm waiting for Gareth Medway to post to save any unnecessary repetition.

DAVID FARRANT

ghostly grave

Thanks Catherine and David, I had put something on a Robin Hood link on earth mysteries, we were wondering if these two threads could be linked..........

barbara

'Malevolent forces'?

There have been reports of ghosts at Robin Hood's Grave for at least two hundred years. In 1963 the future rock musician Roger Williams, then aged fifteen, was at the grave with a friend when he saw a figure emerge from the trees, which he thought at first might be a gamekeeper. He then perceived that it was a woman clothed in white, who glided rather than walking, and, though it was autumn, so that his every footstep was accompanied by a crunching noise, made no sound. She glared at them and then glided away. He now refuses to go there, saying that it is "an evil place". There have been many similar reports. Some people think that this woman in white may have been the evil prioress who, in legend, bled Robin Hood to death.

The ritual conducted there by me, at sunset on 20 April 2005, was based upon the invocation of three (not two) Greek Goddesses. Firstly, Athena was called upon to banish all evil from the place. Secondly, Hekate who guides the spirits of the dead to the next world, was asked to lead any ghosts "into the light". Thirdly, Themis, the Goddess of cosmic order and balance, was invoked to bring harmony to the site in place of the discordant forces that had been there. The ceremony finished with a general blessing.

In my opinion it is too early to say whether it has been successful, but the claim that "the powers of darkness at the grave have now been fully dispersed" was based upon the psychic impressions gained by the two 'sensitive' women present. What I did notice was that, when I arrived, I felt very cold and my nose kept running, but that after the ritual I did not notice the temperature at all. Barbara Green, who had been campaigning for many years for such a ritual to be done, seemed to be satisfied.

Gareth J. Medway

blessing at robin hoods grave

There was indeed a very icy draught during the ritual, which we all agreed on when it was mentioned afterwards during our discussion, we foudn we had all experienced the same thing. The Church of England and the ROMAN CATHOLIC chuch were both invted to perform a blessing at this site several years ago and both refused after being scared off by their bIshops who had it would appear, got fleas in their ears for the suggestion.After thsi feebl performance by teh Christian Church I dont think any one has any room to complain. Evelin Friend who si a Christian Psychic di bless the four points of the ley line and a "vampire hinter" did visit unofficially in 1990 but left without conclusive results, so well done Gareth and David----Ye Pirfet Gentil knights of olde !

Hi there

I have enjoyed reading through your posts.

I was wondering if you could give me some information on the post you did about the cementary/grave yard in Hull. I'm interested in having a look myself. I live in Hull myself and was wondering if you could point out exactly were this particular graveyard may be. As I have not heard of a Skullgate Lane and haven't found one on a map. I suspect I know which one you are talking about, but would appreciate some confirmation.

Many thanks

Jayne

FOR JAYNE,

I assume your reply was for myself as I believe I refered to Skullgates Lane in one of my books about a haunting in Hull. I don't want to mention any book titles here, but I believe the chapter dealt with a haunting in or near the cemetery you are refering to near an old canal. This apparently flooded one year into this graveyard and unearthed many of the 'occupants' in the process.

If this is the case you are referring to, I can certainly check it out. I would certainly like to know where exactly this lane and graveyard are; although if I remember correctly, this oxxurred some years ago so maybe the name of the actual lane has been changed?

Please bear with me (its a bad time at the moment 'cause of the holiday) and I'll check back on the file.

DAVID FARRANT.

Re: Robin Hood's Ghost Finally Laid To Rest

CathandDavid said:
The ritual was filmed throughout to ensure that the precise details, incantations and other invocations, would be fully protected from misinterpretation from any who were not actually present. More details on this case to follow …

just out of curiosity, is there/will there be a copy of this film made available?

Considering the historic/legendary status of Robin Hood through the years, I'd say the Robin Hood legend came to the area because of the haunting, rather than Robin's death being the cause of it.

That said, I wonder what it says about the origins and versions of the Robin Hood legend that this haunting would get tied into it. Or perhaps it was tied into a general Green Man legend or belief system.

For the investigators, do you feel that this is indeed the grave of Robin Hood? If not, what was it?

FOR JAYNE,

Please bear with me as I said. Still in the process of checking the files about "Skullgates Lane" Will answer you more fully when I get the original paper-work sorted out.

JIMA asks if a copy of the film made at Robin Hood's Grave will be made available? I would imagine it would be as this American film crew went to considerable time and trouble to record the whole history of the alleged grave at Kirklees. They did not only film us, but many other people besides so I can only say that they were serious in this enterprise and the film will be shown. I am not sure where at the moment, but when I am certain, I can post it up on FT Announcements.

Mr R.I.N.G. asks whether the haunting at Robin Hood's alleged grave stands as proof as to whether this was his actual grave or vice versa i.e. that legends of the ghost of the 'evil prioress' might have led to assumptions that Robin's grave fell upon that site.

Much of this is academic and therefore unanswerable nowadays. Personally, I would put this the other way around. For example, I looked at a 160-year-old Ordnance map recently which quite clearly marks the grave (and there were no other graves marked) as being "Robin Hood's Grave. It would appear therefore that in this case, legend - for what it is worth - seems to have originated from fact, not the other way around.

I don't know. That's what we are trying to find out.

DAVID FARRANT.

Hiya David

Think I may of found what I was looking for, the afore mentioned Skullgates Lane which is where St Mary's Church was apparently situated is actually named Sculcoates Lane. The link where I have found some of the history on St Mary's Church on Sculcoates Lane is in here.
http://www.dixon115.freeserve.co.uk/sculcoat.htm

The church is since long gone but the graveyard is still there which is now situated in amongst an Industrial estate. This was the graveyard I thought your story linked with but as I said the church is no more. From what I gather from the web link they took parts of it to rebuilt another church and only finally demolished the church tower in the 1950's.

If I'm wrong about this being the graveyard your story relates to, when you find the time please let me know.

Many thanks for your reply.

All the best

Jayne

Back