• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dead Dolphin Found In Garden

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
This is a bit rum...

Men find dead dolphin in garden

Mystery surrounds the discovery of a dead dolphin in the garden of two sailors in Dorset who live on a steep hill half a mile from the sea.

Mike Elliott, 28, and housemate Gary Harvey, woke to find the 3ft dolphin at their home in Portland on Thursday.

The mammal appeared to have two puncture wounds in its stomach as if it had been speared.

Police carried out house-to-house inquiries but said there was no evidence a crime had been committed.

Mr Harvey, 23, said: "I woke up, looked out of my window and saw what appeared to be a dolphin in the garden.

'No tidal wave'

"I went downstairs to have a closer look and that confirmed it - there was a three foot dolphin in the back garden.

"I really don't know how it got there. I was pretty amazed. I thought I was dreaming to start with.

"There was no tidal wave and we live about half a mile from the sea quite a bit above sea level at the top of Portland so it must have been dumped there."

more from the Beeb

It was found near-ish the coast, so not quite as baffling as the dead porpoise found propped up in a cubicle of Glasgow Central Station's gents toilets back in the seventies.

Gotta be pranksters, methinks.

But can only see one stomach wound in the photo.

Sad, all ways up.

People from Portland are a funny lot. My Dad is from round there and he knew people who lived on Portland at the top of the hill. Not only had they never been to the mainland, they'd never been down the hill!

If you ever go to Portland, go into a pub and say rabbits, you'll soon see what I mean.

Back