• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

dead neighbour returns

nikoteen1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
this morning at work a friend and coleague of mine related the following story.

at about 10 pm lee and his wife julie were sitting watching tv in the lounge, suddenly julie let out a horrific scream and pointed to the window where both lee and julie could see an old man peering in.
lee ran to the back door to see what was going on, as he entered the garden he triggered the p.i.r security light but wondered why the old man had not set it off, he looked around the garden but could find no trace of the intruder, he searched his shed and checked the gate was still locked and was about to go back indoors when the phone rang...
it was their next door neighbour who had heard julie scream and was worried about them.
julie said she would pop round to see her to assure her that all was ok,(and to check on the neighbour as she was quite old).

when julie returned a little later she looked shocked and told lee to look at a picture that the neighbour had given her, it was a picture of the neighbours late husband.
lee looked at the photo and straight away recognised it as the face in the window.

the neighbour had told julie that her dead husband often visited her and that they would sit and chat for hours,
only tonight she mentioned to him that lee and julie had decorated their
lounge!

was it the dead husband checking out the decor?

for the record lee and julie are both quite sensible and level headed and have never really had any strong beliefs either for or against the existance of ghosts.

what do you think??

This made the hairs on my neck stand up! :shock:

But it's stories like this, of ghostly events happening out of the blue in some mundane context, that convince me that ghosts exist (in some form or another).
for the record lee and julie are both quite sensible and level headed and have never really had any strong beliefs either for or against the existance of ghosts.
So many times there are stories of people who claimed never to have believed any of 'that nonsense' until they had a weird experience themselves.

I know all the skeptic arguments against ghosts, but they do not prevent people having these experiences, year after year, for who knows how many thousand years of human history.

The idea that a ghost was checking out a neighbours decor is so ridiculous it just has to be true! (Who would invent that?) 8)

Reckon theres still the odd skeptic who will still try and find another answer for it though. :roll:

Nice Story and good read though. :yeay:

MaxMolyneux said:
Reckon theres still the odd skeptic who will still try and find another answer for it though. :roll:

Yes - god forbid people shouldn't accept at face value everything they read on the internet... :roll:

Would posters on this board please stop giving me the sh*ts at night?

Nice story. That is something that always plays on my mind at night, faces in windows. I'm not being too quick to judge, but that account is a classic. If ghosts exist, then that is the type of story to be told.

Very believeable and I'm sure very true. Frightening.

Im a little confused that the woman would talk to a ghost. I always assumed that ghosts were recordings of past events that just keep happening over and over, but with no deviation from that and no communication. Because communication has been involved this man is obviously a spirit that hasnt moved on and its really important that your friends' neighbour seeks help for him either from a priest or a psychic........or am I just talking a load of muesli eating, bed wetting rubbish? Its the way I see it tho ;)

Maybe she got so used to talking to her husband while he was alive that she can't bear to give up the habit. And neither could he, obviously...

Perhaps he's not going to move on until she's ready to join him...

(That may be the most fluffy woo woo thing I've ever posted here 8)

...or it might be the truth :shock: )

i havent seen lee today because we are working in different areas, but when i see him i'll try and get more info out of him.

if any of you have any questions i'll put them to him.

regarding the old lady, i got the impression that she and her late husband had rather ordinary conversations (like next door decorating).

i do know though that lee was looking into every other possible explanation, but to no avail.
and when i asked if the picture and the face he had seen were just similar he replied " no, they were identical"

nikoteen1 said:
and when i asked if the picture and the face he had seen were just similar he replied " no, they were identical"
Eek! :shock:

krobone said:
MaxMolyneux said:

Yes - god forbid people shouldn't accept at face value everything they read on the internet... :roll:

Whos accepting at face Value? :?

If you accept the conventional explanations it seems the old chap hasn't moved on. I remember reading of an exorcism (or whatever the lite version is) where the presiding priest became aware of an extra figure in the room, a middle aged woman who was taking an interest in proceedings and claimed she was lucky to have survived the fall down the stairs. She hadn't and was annoyed with the new people who had moved in.
If that's how it works it appears some kind of deliverance may be in order. But who really knows?

Whatever ghosts are, and however many types of ghosts there might be, the thing to remember is, they're natural, or at least the ghostly-state is natural. That is: becoming a ghost is a natural occurence. None of us takes lessons in ghostliness. Most of us don't expect to become a ghost, so in the vast majority of cases, it's not self-fulfilling prophesy. It just happens. And as so many people see ghosts, it must happen to quite a few, possibly all, who die.

Most of us don't expect to ever see a ghost. Most don't believe in them until they see one and even then, they doubt that's what they saw and put it down to overtiredness or imagination, trick of the light, simply because most of us have been told that ghosts do not exist. Instead, we're told, many of us, that after we die, we go to Heaven, sit with God, play harps, wear wings, or whatever. In fact if imagination, self fulfilling prophecy, suggestion etc. were as powerful as implied, people should be seeing many, many more ghosts dressed in white nighties with big fluffy wings, or surrounded by 77 virgins. After all, that's what we've been conditioned to expect, depending on our religion. Yet that is not what people claim to have seen, in most instances. Instead, they describe ghosts as appearing pretty much as they did in life. Which, if you think about it, suggests people are describing honestly what they did see, not what they've been conditioned to expect. And in most instances, the shock experienced by the witness is not caused by the physical appearance or actions of the ghosts -- but simply by the fact the ghost appeared unexpectedly, improbably. People's reactions, in other words, are reasonable, under the circumstances. And their reports, in most instances, are not sensationalistic and in fact would border on bland, were they about living people as opposed to ghosts.

As to the various types of ghosts, I think we should -- until we know more -- allow that there may be as many different modes of ghostly existence as exist in real life. For example, in real life there are active and passive types; mentally alert as opposed to vague people; people with little awareness of their surroundings; people in comas; people suffering nervous breakdowns; those in states of denial, be that permanent or temporary; highly evolved personalities; animalistic types; psychopaths; near-saintly types, and so on.

Anti-social people who die may remain that way; they may be responsible for poltergeist activity, for deliberately frightening and menacing the living. Some ghosts may exist in a type of twilight sleep and may wander around mindlessly, occasionally appearing in confusion. Others may retain a highly developed sense of social responsibility and may continue dashing around warning the living of impending disasters or saving babies from pools of water.

I suppose there must have really been at least one poor soul who was beheaded, didn't realise he was dead and who picked up his head and tucked it under his arm out of sheer shock and/or instinct, in much the same way we'd most probably pick up our hand or toe if it had been suddenly lopped off. We place such importance on our head; it has our face on the front, and that's what we relate to being as well as how we present ourselves to the world. And of course, our brain is in our head as well. So it's understandable we wouldn't leave our head lying on the ground, because for most of us, our head represents a large part of who we are. I say there must have been one head-carrying ghost, because the headless ghost features in so many old accounts. Those accounts date from a time when beheading was reasonably common. There aren't too many contemporary reports of headless ghosts that I'm aware of, just as there aren't that many beheadings today .. in the Western world at least.

It's occurred to me -- and this is just a suggestion -- that possibly the old lady featured in the OP inadvertently created a Tulpa in the form of her late husband, via constantly focusing on him and genuinely and naturally conversing with him; 'seeing' him; believing implicitly in his reality. There's a saying; how does it go? -- 'where energy flows, matter grows' ? That's not correct, but has the gist of it. As with the Phillip experiments.

Could this explain the fact the dead husband, on his wife's suggestion, had a peek at the renovations in the home of the couple next door? Don't see why it wouldn't. Dame Alexandra Neel's Tulpa was capable of independent action, reportedly.

Of course, none of this explains the ghosts spontaneously witnessed by many; ghosts of people totally unknown to them. And it seems ghost-sightings are reasonably common. I wandered into the Ebay Discussion Boards about a year ago, seeking a solution to a problem, and happened upon a thread about ghosts. It was interesting to find people discussing ghosts in a very practical manner, in between recounting domestic and other matters. One post that comes to mind involved a cheery, married woman with several children and a half-renovated house. She'd begun noticing shapes flitting within a particular section of hallway but paid them no real attention; attributing them to new shadows caused by the house's changed structure. Items began moving and disappearing-reappearing and an already locked rear door slammed shut by itself a few times, but she put this down to a variety of factors. Then one day she saw an undeniably human (though indistinct) form move along a length of the hallway. Obviously an unflappable type, she at that point accepted the house had developed a ghost.

Being constantly busy, the woman had time only to briefly mention this to her husband, who promptly dismissed it as ridiculous. The woman continued to see the indistinct shape from time to time, but as the sightings were brief and as the shape didn't appear harmful, she simply accepted it without much thought. Then one night, she and her husband were awoken by the sound of the locked rear door banging alarmingly. For several minutes apparently, they remained upright in bed, proposing various explanations. When further loud sounds shook the house, the woman went to her children's rooms to make sure they were alright and not responsible for the noise. Meanwhile, her husband had pulled on some clothes and armed with his son's cricket bat, went to find out what was causing all the racket.

The woman said that after a minute or so, her husband returned sweating and breathless and hissed to her to grab all the children and take them to the parental bedroom. When this was done, he apparently pushed a chest of drawers against the bedroom door and slept on the floor close to the door while his wife and the children slept squashed together on the bed. The woman seemed quite bemused by her husband's behaviour and said she wouldn't have believed him capable of such fear. Apparently, during his investigations, the husband had turned on as many lights as possible and had remained rooted to the spot, staring at the back door as the sound of that door repeatedly slammed closed hard -- when in fact the actual door was not moving and remained locked and normal looking. There had been loud crashes from the kitchen, as if all the pots and pans were being hurled at the walls and floor, yet when the husband had looked, not a thing in the kitchen was out of place. But what had broken his nerve completely was either the sight or feel of something moving past him as he stood in the hall. This had sent him dashing back to herd the family into the one bedroom.

The woman said all this had happened a few months earlier, after which her husband had immediately put their property up for sale. She said he'd hurriedly finished the renovations and at the time of writing the post, the woman and her husband had recently sold the home and relocated their family to another house, closer to town. The haunted house had been her husband's lifelong dream of owning several acres, but he'd hurriedly abandoned it after his experience. His wife appeared to have a more philosophical approach and said the ghost's antics had annoyed more than frightened her. She said her husband now refused to discuss any of it and had instructed her to say nothing about it to the children.

There were dozens of posts about ghostly encounters in the thread. It was an interesting read. Ebayers are a cross-section of the community. Usually the threads concern Ebay transactions or domestic chat. The ghost thread was quite a departure from the normal discussions. But it revealed that many average people believe they've had ghostly encounters. Most seemed to be middle aged or grandmothers. Their experiences were generally one-offs or had happened in only one particular location. There does seem to be a connection between ghosts and the alteration of buildings, which suggests dimensions are layered or superimposed; alteration to one may well affect the rest, resulting in a form of leakage (prompting visibility of those in other dimensions) and sometimes noisy protest/retaliation from the occasional outspoken ghost ?

Sometimes I can't believe I'm writing this stuff. I mean I've seen a couple of ghosts and can remember it. But it's like seeing green and blue spotted donkeys, when the world insists such things don't exist. They obviously do exist -- if you and others have seen them. But it's hard to get something in perspective when you see it only a few times in your lifetime and when it can appear and disappear in moments.

I wonder if she talks to him, as in to her self, and feels that he's there. I talk to myself all the time. When I was living with a chap who used to work in the evenings I was so busy telling him about my day, when he was not there, that I made two cups of tea!

Hee hee ! Really did laugh out loud at that one !

Back