• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Death of Gerald Hawkins ('Stonehenge Decoded')

naitaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.zwire.com/site/tab4.cfm?newsid=8149132&BRD=2553&PAG=461&dept_id=506086&rfi=6

Astronomer dies suddenly at home

Astronomer Gerald S. Hawkins, 75, died suddenly on May 26 doing what he loved: flying his remote-controlled model airplanes in the fields at his Rappahannock farm, Hawkridge.

Neighbors found him in the tall grass, the remote control still in his hands at the home which is between Woodville and Boston.

Hawkins's wife, Julia, said he died of a heart attack. She said he had requested in his will that there be no obituary or memorial service.

As his wife said, Hawkins "loved Rappahannock County" and he wrote a series of essays for the Rappahannock News called "An Englishman in the Blue Ridge."

He is the author of more than a dozen books, including "Stonehenge Decoded" and the recipient of numerous awards from the Smithsonian Institution and the U. S. Information Agency where he was the agency's science advisor.

Hawkins was known internationally for his work investigating the "mystery of the Crop Circles in England."

Oh!

That's a bit sad. Sounds like a decent enough way to go, though, suddenly, enjoying a favourite hobby. :(

I'm still reading the copy of 'Stonehenge Decoded' I bought last month.

The bit with figures and stuff about solar and lunar alignments slowed me down a bit. I'll get there though.

Was his model plane found, I wonder, or did it just fly away?

I like to think his spirit enjoyed being on board it for a while before moving on.

Back