• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Deep Fried Mars bars were never a myth

Hmmm. The old fishy mars bar eh? :shock: (That's probabley an urban legend in itself!)

Gyrtrash said:
Hmmm. The old fishy mars bar eh? :shock: (That's probabley an urban legend in itself!)

Filthy mind. Besides, they go all stodgy... ;)

And they do them in king size now... and something called 'The Big One', apparently... (better than 'snack size' though, eh?! ;) )

Prefer Snickers myself but i've not had one - deep-fried or otherwise - for ages and ages.

Gyrtrash said:

:lol:

Surely it would melt!!!!

Hobbs Pavilion in Cambridge used to sell deep-fried Mars Bars years ago, and I tried one. Can't say it was my favourite.
They also did lots of other desserts, including one that was a disgusting melted mass of chocolate, toffee, smarties, marshmallow etc. Most people couldn't finish it, so they'd have competitions to see who could eat the most.
These days, they don't do all that stuff.

Hey everyone I'm new here..This is in fact my first post.
Was just reading and I have to say DF mars bars do indeed exist, and are not just a Scots or even European thing. I was not even aware that they were considered an urban legend! Always thought they were real.

I have eaten several in Australia, and not just in similar regions. I have had one in Armidale, a cold sort of place in the mountains, one in a beach town, and one in Canberra where I now live, the capital. They are always served by corner stores/fish and chip shops in my experience.

Also the guy who ran the store in Armidale was ethnically Lebanese, so you can't blame the Scots for that one! He would deep fry any chocolate bar for you at a cost of 50c extra, and i have eaten deep fried mars, snickers and crunchie bars. I think only kids do it, coz I remember my dad talking about them with something like fear in his eyes...
They taste extremely good btw.

I remember an interesting variant, shown on the local BBC news program 'Look North' last Christmas. There was a chip shop selling portions of deep fried, battered xmas pudding. The presenter bravely tried it, followed by a taste test with various passers by. Most of them were fairly unimpressed!!

I'll stick to savoury fried goods thank you!! (Although banana fritters from the all-you-can-stuff-in-your-fat-face-for-a-fiver chinese buffet are good!!)

I've had one, and there are at least three places in Oxford where they can be obtained.

Urban legend? I doubt it - I first tasted one years and years ago! Yes they are pretty disgusting. Nigella Lawson deep fries Bounty bars, which are probably marginally less sickly I'd have thought!

Deep fried mars bars are totally rank. Heugh

However deep fried pizza (with salt and sauce) were my staple diet as a younger, plumper person...

while i don't doubt that people do deep-fry mars bars, i can't help wondering which came first, the genuine practice or the urban legend.

nowadays i'd have trouble managing a whole mars bar, or anything cooked by deep-frying, but as a kid i used to melt various chocolate bars in the microwave, including mars bars.

Campbeltown - 15 years ago

I saw these for sale about 15 years ago in a little chip shop called Rab's in Campbeltown, on the Mull of Kintyre. They also had the deep-fried pizza, which me wee brother bought, not knowing it was deep-fried. Yuck. I'm pretty sure they claimed to have invented them too...

Well in America, the home of the deep fried EVERYTHING, things like that are pretty common. Mostly around here we get deep fried twinkies and oreos. They are dipped in funnel cake batter and fried for about a minute then sprinkled with powdered suger.

And lemme tell you , df twinkies are delish! :D

Colin said:
I'm also thin, and attempting to get more fit again lately by using my bike more again, which is going well so far. Can't say anything about my life expectency as I don't know what that would be, but I also don't smoke or drink ;)

You need corrupting, honey. A little decadence, a little nightlife, a little... well I explain in private.

*walks off shaking her head* I hate to see a good man going to waste like that.

Definately no an urban legend.

I have worked in a few chip shops and often worked late fridays/saturdays.
i remember 3 drunk men coming in and asking if we sold battered mars bars, we told them no but if they popped next door and bought a mars we would cook it provided they ate it in front of us.
they got one, i fried it, one of them ate it, he lumbered outside and brought it back up...

Fallen Angel said:
You need corrupting, honey. A little decadence, a little nightlife, a little... well I explain in private.

*walks off shaking her head* I hate to see a good man going to waste like that.
She hates to see a bad man go to waste even more...

Deep-fried Eccles cake rivals deep-fried Mars bar
The deep-fried Mars bar has a new rival - the deep-fried Eccles cake.
Published: 7:30AM BST 16 Jul 2010

The tasty treat has been created in an Eccles chippy just yards away from the location of the original Eccles cake shop in Greater Manchester.

Ms Whittaker, owner of Whittakers Fish and Grill bar, in Church Street, made them to promote the town centre - and they proved so popular they could be added to the menu.

She said: "All the shops were asked to do something to promote Eccles town centre as a place to shop and I decided to do something on the theme of its most famous export.

"Instead of the ordinary batter, which the Mars bar is fried in, I created a lighter sweet pancake batter and dipped the cake in it before deep frying it.

"We gave out the cakes for free to the public and they were overwhelmingly enthusiastic.

"I haven't decided whether to put them on the menu permanently, but as Eccles is having its annual festival this weekend, they might make another guest appearance.

"The only difference is that this time people will have to pay for it." There is a blue plaque near her shop marking the location of the original Eccles cake shop, opened by James Birch in 1796.

However the cakes had been around for years before that. It is said the cakes were so popular during Cromwell's rule in the 1650s that they were considered sinful by the Puritans and banned.

Bakers in Eccles make their own version of the delicacy, but the main producers of Eccles cakes are Edmonds in Ardwick, with their Real Lancashire Eccles Cakes.

The cakes are baked from puff pastry wrapped around dried fruit, with its currants steeped in sugar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... s-bar.html

Oh please God, never let a Britisher cook food again... :headbutt:

Zilch5 said:

That's a bit rich, coming from an Aussie. You do realise you live in the alleged spiritual home of the deep-fried Mars Bar? ;)

I like how the puritans wanted some cookies banned because people enjoyed them too much.

I had a deep fried mars bar from a chippie in north london a few years back,i like deep fried things and i love mars bars, but not to fussed about them both together.

Zilch5 said:

Deep fried Mars bars are not very representative of British cuisine, honest... :lol:

I had a deep fried mars bar from a chippie in north london a few years back,i like deep fried things and i love mars bars, but not to fussed about them both together.

Yes, I had one 10 years ago, I knew it was going to be bad but was taken aback by just how much worse it actually turned out to be. I remember biting into it looking at the bit I was holding and thinking, oh god the rest of that's in my mouth, that's when the taste hit.I can still taste it now if I think about it. I'm so glad I never tried the creme egg version.

Dr_Baltar said:
Zilch5 said:

That's a bit rich, coming from an Aussie. You do realise you live in the alleged spiritual home of the deep-fried Mars Bar? ;)
Says whom? Never been heard of here, at least not until it was well reported as a staple of Edinburgh chippies. Mostly by people coming back from the Fringe Festival. Who got entire 15 minute bits about how disgusting it was.

Anome_ said:
Dr_Baltar said:
Zilch5 said:

Says whom? Never been heard of here, at least not until it was well reported as a staple of Edinburgh chippies. Mostly by people coming back from the Fringe Festival. Who got entire 15 minute bits about how disgusting it was.

From the ever-reliable Wiki:

In the early '80s deep fried Mars bars had been featured in a "cooking" segment of the Australian comdey series Australia You're Standing In It. The dish was sometimes cooked in Australia around that time as a novelty. There is therefore some possibility that the Scottish fried Mars bar phenomena was imported from Australia, especially given the volume of emigration between Britain and Australia during the period.

When i was a young un,i read an article(almost certainly in the daily record) that told the story of the scottish chippie that first came up with the deep fried mars bar,maybe an older reader of the greetin faced scottish rag can come up with more details?

From the same Wiki article as above:

It is said to have been invented in the Haven Chip Bar in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen on Scotland's North-East coast, in 1995. The first recorded mention of the food was in the Daily Record, August 24, 1995, in an article titled "Mars supper, please".

Back