• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Medium that fits all

Derek Acorah's packed up his 'ghost truck' and taken to the road to put his growing legion of fans in touch with the spirit world. A sceptical Sarah Dempster tries to stay on-message

Saturday October 29, 2005
The Guardian

On a blustery afternoon in an unsuspecting corner of Hertfordshire, Derek Acorah is preparing to battle the forces of darkness. He checks his armour. Is it in place? It is. An armada of sovereign rings bedeck his Liverpudlian fingers. His tiny feet are encased in patent loafers (black, naturally). He looks like the proprietor of a modest betting shop and speaks like a man with the engines of shrunken Ford Cortinas for lungs. Scared, Derek?

"Scared? No. Heheheh! There's nothing to worry about, love," he says, adjusting his shirt cuffs by the door of his trailer. "It's just people from up there [raises eyes ceilingwards] telling people from down here [lowers eyes carpet-tilewards] something nice. It's touching. It's moving. Believe me, if it was anything nasty, I'd be out of there like a shot. Heheheh!"

For those yet to come across this unequivocally unusual individual, an introduction is evidently in order. Derek Acorah, 55, is "Britain's finest professional spirit medium", a bluff clairaudient whose Brookside vowels and Matalan wardrobe have made him a uniquely accessible presence within the country's thriving psychic community. Thanks to his extraordinary appearances on Living TV's Most Haunted (highlights include Derek foaming at the mouth, Derek shouting on the floor and Derek lunging at co-host Yvette Fielding's cleavage while "possessed" by the spirit of a 17th-century idiot called Francis), news of his psychic proficiency has spread, to the extent that the former professional footballer (he was signed, as a nipper, by Bill Shankly) is now knocking on the burnished gates of the mainstream.

His latest venture is Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns, in which the slightly-built scouser visits Britain's most haunted provinces in a Vauxhall Zafira with co-hosts Danniella Westbrook and Angus "Cash In The Attic" Purden.

What's it all about, Derek? "We're taking the spiritual to the people," he says, between puffs on a cigarette. "There's a segment in the show called Doorstep Divinations, where I turn up at people's doors and channel important messages from the spirit world. That in itself is invaluable to people, y'know? It helps them feel more at peace and uplifts them."

What does channelling feel like? "When I'm channelling a benign, individual spirit it doesn't drain me. It feels absolutely OK". And how does it feel when that spirit is not so benign? He gazes out of the rain-spattered window. "Knackering," he says, eventually.

Not so long ago, such comments would've seen Derek branded a heretic and burned at the stake by men in buckled shoes. These days, however, it's all charity football matches, one-to-one celebrity readings and getting mobbed by housewives with pushchairs in Newport Pagnell (where, coincidentally, he will spend a significant chunk of a forthcoming episode of Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns, standing inside a telephone box in anticipation of inexplicable psychic phenomenon).

Whether this monumental shift in status is down to a gradual loosening of attitudes towards the supernatural (presumably concurrent with the fact that the only people in Britain who still go to church are the Archbishop of Canterbury and Aled Jones), a growing appreciation of the entertainment value of Derek's brand of psychic-centred showoffery or simply the decline of men in buckled shoes is not clear. What is clear is that Derek is a phenomenon. His books are bestsellers (his latest, Ghost Hunting With Derek Acorah, details the nation's paranormal hot-spots), his international tours attract countless gaggles of zealous fanatics ("I was shocked at how much they knew about me in New Zealand!") and Most Haunted - the series that transported him from nanoratings futility on the now-defunct Granada Breeze to the celestial plane of satellite significance that is Living TV - continues to scoop hitherto unimaginable nonterrestrial viewing figures (upwards of two million for the last edition of Most Haunted Live).

He drives a Triumph sports car. He wears a red and gold ring given to him by "a very kind, likeminded, kindred soul a number of years ago who is a celebrity". He's got a poodle called Jack. Life - or to be precise, the life presently enjoyed by the self-professedly ageless, constantly reincarnating entity that is currently known as Derek Acorah - is good.

And yet there is trouble in paradise. Critics have cast aspersions on his psychic abilities. They've guffawed at his numerous on-screen "possessions", huffed over the existence of Sam, his 2,000-year-old Ethiopian spirit guide ("What's that? His name's Dave? Thanks, Sam!") and waggled a copy of the Fraudulent Mediums Act 1951 under the nose of his stage show ("it is an insult to the intelligence of all concerned!" wrote spiritualist medium Thomas Alder). "I've nothing to hide", says Derek. "Hardly," crow the bods at badpsychics.com, who claim they have evidence which casts doubt on much of his material.

Even less edifying are the rumours that encircle Derek's decision to fly the Most Haunted coop, most of which point to a perceptible frostiness between the psychic and Yvette Fielding.

"I was frustrated with the structure of the programme," says Derek, sotto voce, before delivering a vehemently off-the-record tirade against "certain people involved with the show". (Suffice it to say that if the former Blue Peter presenter ever finds herself in the grounds of Derek's Southport mansion, she shouldn't expect to be invited in for a garibaldi). But Derek harbours no grudges. His ethos, he says, is to "try to turn the negative into a positive". Besides, he has two new co-hosts now, both of whom appear slightly better disposed towards the whole Derek thing than their predecessor.

For tonight's supernatural challenge, card-carrying believers Angus Purden ("it's more difficult to be a believer because you're constantly questioning everything"), Danniella Westbrook ("it's all amazing,") and Derek Acorah ("heheheh!") enter Royston, Hertfordshire's former police station, the site, apparently, of "persistent supernatural activity for many years". Derek immediately announces the presence of a miffed spirit called Jack. "This is his vortex," thunders Derek. "It stinks," sniffs Angus. One of the crew members claims he can smell whisky. Derek nods sagely. "He was an alcoholic." A mini-seance then takes place. Nothing happens. "Come on Jack, give us a bit of phenomena!" roars Derek. Suddenly, there's a breakthrough. The soundman's equipment goes bonkers. Then Angus claims he's been pushed. "JESUS CHRIST," shrieks the Scotsman. "AH'M NO STAYIN' IN HERE!

He storms out, raincoat a-flap. Interestingly, nobody seems disturbed, or even particularly surprised by the incident. Within minutes, Angus is chattering happily outside with the show's resident parapsychologist, while Derek is engaged in a phone conversation with the producer's mother ("yes Gladys, I enjoyed that investigation too ..."). "I was shitting myself," explains Angus, "but being exposed to that sort of thing every day makes you more open to it." Quite.

Next stop: Doorstep Divination, the perfect showcase for Derek's brand of self-help-based showmanship. Tonight's "lucky" recipient is one Leah Francombe. "Does the name Lily mean anything to you?" asks Derek, ensconsed on Leah's nice blue sofa. "Yes," gasps Leah. "She says to me you cried 12 years ago at her funeral, but, please, you've not to cry now," continues Derek. "Oh God," gulps Leah, before bursting into tears. Husband Peter looks shell-shocked. "Before," he confides later, "I thought he was a load of crap. But everything he said in there was true." And now? "I want to shake his hand."

Ultimately, it's difficult not to admire Derek Acorah, even if that admiration comes gift-wrapped in paper decorated with large fluorescent question marks and is directed almost entirely at the vast stores of chutzpah needed to convince the world - and possibly himself - that what he is doing is genuine. If it's guff, it's guff at its most entertaining. If it's authentic, his status as Spookiest Bloke Doing Things On The Telly That May Not Be Entirely Explainable Through The Usual Scientific Avenues seems assured. "I like people to make up their own minds about what I do," says Derek, buoyant as ever. "As I said, I've nothing to hide." He smiles inscrutably. "Justice will prevail".

-----------
· Derek Acorah's Ghost Towns starts on Nov 7, 9pm, Living TV

www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/tvradio/sto ... 78,00.html

Mighty_Emperor said:
"I was frustrated with the structure of the programme," says Derek, sotto voce, before delivering a vehemently off-the-record tirade against "certain people involved with the show". (Suffice it to say that if the former Blue Peter presenter ever finds herself in the grounds of Derek's Southport mansion, she shouldn't expect to be invited in for a garibaldi).

So on tonights Most Haunted Live, when Yvette screamed at the "possessed" Derek, "How many fingers am I holding up..? Wrong! You liar, you can't see me! Say something in African... You told us you were from Nigeria!"

-- was she really shouting at the powerful African spirit... or at Derek Acorah?

sherbetbizarre said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
"I was frustrated with the structure of the programme," says Derek, sotto voce, before delivering a vehemently off-the-record tirade against "certain people involved with the show". (Suffice it to say that if the former Blue Peter presenter ever finds herself in the grounds of Derek's Southport mansion, she shouldn't expect to be invited in for a garibaldi).

So on tonights Most Haunted Live, when Yvette screamed at the "possessed" Derek, "How many fingers am I holding up..? Wrong! You liar, you can't see me! Say something in African... You told us you were from Nigeria!"

-- was she really shouting at the powerful African spirit... or at Derek Acorah?

Yeah, I saw that and thought exactly the same thing, whats more scary - a ghost or an angry Yvette :shock:

Bugger!

I knew I was missing something... will have to try an catch it tonight.

Wonder if they'll do a highlights thing in the next week or so?

The cnic might suggest that all this falling out is as carefully staged as the res of Most Haunted - they realised they had reached a level of popularity where they could spin off another series but didn't want it to look too cynical so they script all this so it seems more natural and it gets tongues wagging thus generating further publicity.

It'll be the death of Gordon Smith's career. He almost had a bit of credibility in my view.

Derek's last night on MH.

He is such a big jessie :evil:

Slejpner said:
It'll be the death of Gordon Smith's career. He almost had a bit of credibility in my view.

I thought the same when I heard he was taking over. I'm very sceptical regarding show-biz mediums but out of all of them, I found him the most intriguing and 'genuine'. When I say 'genuine', I mean that he gives the appearance that he believes what he say, whereas the rest of them give the impression their clairaudience is more attuned to the sound of cash registers than voices from the other side.

I have to say I agree, Gordon Smith had a very high reputation, and made statements saying that he would never sell out to TV.

He has cancelled a lot of public appearences to "concentrate" on MH, I think the show will be a lot more serious from now on, (even though it's supposed to be now!) and I really cant seem him doing more then 2 series before he gets really pissed of with that poor excuse for a TV presenter.

They should let Paul O'grady present it, at least he has some humour about him.

Just seen Gordy. Gah, he's more fake than Degsy fake-aura. Cold reading claptrap.

Soong2 said:
Derek's last night on MH.

He is such a big jessie :evil:

You must have a heart of stone Soong. :lol:

Well Gordon Smith's first MH episode was shown last night, David wells and Gordon seem to get on alot better then David did with Degsy.

It was a fairly uneventfull show with regards to what was caught on camera, the higlight of the show being the knife that ended up on Yvette's shoe.

Pity it didnt end up stuck in her tounge :evil:

I tuned in to the MH live and witnessed Deggsy and Paul O'Grady trotting around The Blind Beggar's cellars, getting The Elephant Man's name wrong, not mentioning The Hat's murder and looking like utter pillocks.

It took five minutes while I finished up my ovaltine to resist lobbing something damaging at my new tv and turning off.

Oi! Deggsy! NO!

Go back to being a spiritualist medium wide-boy who relies on gullible people to fund yer jewellery fetish!

Agree - I haven't seen Gordy enough yet to work out why I will truly hate him...beyond being a lying, money grubbing git preying on the foolish (which is probably enought :lol: )

"The Blind Beggar"? Wasn't that where Jack "The Hat" Macvitie was killed by associates of the Krays?

Why does everyone hate Yvette? If Yvette wasn't there there'd be nothing to get freaked out by?

DrPLee said:
"The Blind Beggar"? Wasn't that where Jack "The Hat" Macvitie was killed by associates of the Krays?
Yep! The juke box was playing "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" by the Walker Brothers when a 'certain individual who commanded respect' walked in and shot him!

Chantie said:
Why does everyone hate Yvette? If Yvette wasn't there there'd be nothing to get freaked out by?

Um let me see, the screeching, the the crying, the whinging, the wigs, the fact the camera has to be on her all the time, the fact she thinks she is so hard for shouting at spirits then crys when she hear's a noise, the fact she thinks she is bigger then the show, the fact she thinks she knows what she is talking about, the fact that she doesnt know half the country is laughing at her for being a wimp, the fact she has cath on the show, the fact she has stuart on the show, the fact she has richard felix on the show etc. etc ,etc

Couldn't have said it better :lol: - and if allegations are true, then a faker as well

It was all the squeegy bottles and sticky-back plastic she had to use while on Blue Peter. She felt undervalued and emotionally gagged so MH allows her a full reign of emotions ... mainly wetting herself though.

It was lunch-time about a month ago and I had rushed frantically into town for a sandwich after dropping my son into his nursery induction day and I had 1 hour to get into town and back again,so I was flustered to say the least.
this particular day I had decided to make an effort to look smart so I wore a long floaty skirt instead of my usual jeans and sweater....but under it i had put on fishnet type tights.
I found to my horror that since last wearing this type of clothing i had put on a considerable amount of wieght that had caused the gap between my upper thighs to diminish considerably.The chafe factor was terrible.It felt as though I was clutching a lit barbecue between my legs by the time I got my tuna and mayo sandwich.
I was beginning to panic too as I knew I had to walk all the way back in this state to the nursery,so I ate my sandwich whilst rushing along.
The pain from my chafing s had become so unbearable that I had developed a strange gait,a kind of bow legged lurching and I was getting pretty franticby this time and..........bang!!!
I bumped straight into Derek Acora!.......filming blummin Ghost Town!
As I gazed up his Hollywood syle waxed nostrils and he looked down upon me,I knew he was getting a psychic vibe and sam had told him of my suffering because he nodded at me and said........"Don`t worry love,it`ll be fine."
How spooky is that?

did you punch him and pronounce him to be a fake money grubbing git?

No I didn`t.I tried to mumble something like a star-struck apology I think........and accidently dribbled a bit of my tuna sarny down the front of my lovely floaty skirt.....and hobbled hurriedly away. :oops:

Did sam deflect said tuna? Did Derek's psychic abilities predict said manky tuna spit on shirt scenario? Less fishnets for you in future :D

luvpixie said:
It was lunch-time about a month ago and I had rushed frantically into town for a sandwich after dropping my son into his nursery induction day and I had 1 hour to get into town and back again,so I was flustered to say the least.
this particular day I had decided to make an effort to look smart so I wore a long floaty skirt instead of my usual jeans and sweater....but under it i had put on fishnet type tights.
I found to my horror that since last wearing this type of clothing i had put on a considerable amount of wieght that had caused the gap between my upper thighs to diminish considerably.The chafe factor was terrible.It felt as though I was clutching a lit barbecue between my legs by the time I got my tuna and mayo sandwich.
I was beginning to panic too as I knew I had to walk all the way back in this state to the nursery,so I ate my sandwich whilst rushing along.
The pain from my chafing s had become so unbearable that I had developed a strange gait,a kind of bow legged lurching and I was getting pretty franticby this time and..........bang!!!
I bumped straight into Derek Acora!.......filming blummin Ghost Town!
As I gazed up his Hollywood syle waxed nostrils and he looked down upon me,I knew he was getting a psychic vibe and sam had told him of my suffering because he nodded at me and said........"Don`t worry love,it`ll be fine."
How spooky is that?

Maybe he could tell something was wrong by the look of your face maybe?

luvpixie said:
How spooky is that?

He probably says that to everybody.

you know there really is a very simple answer to all your problems if you happen to have a Derek Acorah allergy. it's quite simple really. Watch something else!

same goes for MH. watch Wife Swap or whatever 'reality tv' barrel scrapings that C4 has dredged up.(actually thats a little unfair on my part: Wife Swap has had its good moments)

although i doubt anyone will take my advice as i'm guessing most of youse who always make a point of saying how you hate Derek or MH
would much rather sit and watch a programme you so obviously hate and then have a good bitch about it later rather than watch a programme or maybe even a dvd that you actually like and enjoy yourself.

either you lack a sense of irony or you are deluding yourselves by telling yourself and everyone else who happens to be listening ' oh yes, i only watch to see what nonsense they come up with this time!'

but then again its always much more fun to criticise than praise isnt it? go on, do yourselves and your newsagant a favour. buy a copy of Radio Times or your tv listings mag of choice and find something else to watch if it really bothers you all that much.

you have the freedom of choice, exercise it!

Whats wrong with watching these shows just to rubbish them. If everyone that doesn't like these shows simply turned them off and didn't give out about them that would be giving free rein to the fakers and charlatans out there to scam even more unsuspecting people. I have to say apart from the odd MH show i don't watch these type of shows but if someone wants to watch it and then complain and back their complaints with reasoned debate then fair enough its not a simple matter of 'if you don't like it change the channel'.
If even one person is persuded by reasoned argument not to part with their hard earned cash then i say watch on and complain on. Using your own reasoning it could just as easily be said if you don't like people complaining about these programmes then don't read their posts.

Blimmin heck Yorkie!!!!!

That was a little strong.I don`t hate anyone,definately not Derekins,I think he`s just a harmless old dear who likes looking for ghosts. :shock:

and by turns you could also say that if all these people who watch these programmes just to rubbish it, just switched it off then they would probably lose about half of their viewing figures and probably drop the show!

if somebody was actually doing something about these alleged fakers then i would not have a problems with this! i'll give the JREF and Bad Psychics one thing (even though i dislike both groups) they think something is a sham and they are trying to raise awareness although they may not always do it in a way conducive to getting people on their side.

but they are doing something not just having a whinge about how mediumship is a load of old toot and how its terrible that people are being fleeced and yet week after week watch the same show which is the source of their outrage.

to me this makes about as much sense as one Dubya's speeches :?

Back