• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Derren Brown: Master Mind-Manipulator

Darren Brown

How does he do it? Drawing the same picture as someone else etc?

By subtly implanting that image into the subject's mind.

I saw his programme on Friday on Ch4. Admitidly I don't know all his tricks but the guy completely winds me up! It's obvious he uses a mixture of cold reading and phsycological reading.
He felt one guys hand and came up with a few things the guy was supposed to do including playing golf, works in a record shop, ect. The guy was so dim as to be gobsmaked. Please, golf is that unpopular? And he connected it by saying he 'Played years ago.' The other was wrong, he used to work in a record factory, completely off the mark but the guy was so impressed he didn't question it! :hmph:

he is very good isnt he... glad to see he isnt trying to kid us hes useing secret powers tho' like Hudini im sure some will insist he is..

Cold reading etc...

Yes, he does do cold reading, but he doesn't claim it's anything else than a trick that relies on people's tendency to hear what they want to.

The mind reading trick was clever, I just wish they hadn't masked the sound as it would provide endless entertaiment for freaking out your friends.

Pity more people won't see this programme, but then true believers would never question psychics, mediums or channelers anyway.

Note that we only get to see the 'hits' and not the 'misses'. I'd like to see when he gets things wrong too.

JerryB said:
Note that we only get to see the 'hits' and not the 'misses'. I'd like to see when he gets things wrong too.

On a previous show he admitted that it didn't always go to plan and showed some footage of his misses.

Steve, I think you've missed the point - Derren Brown is a psychological illusionist. He doesn't claim to be psychic or have any special powers - everything he does IS a trick that anyone could do with practice.

He's not putting anything forward as a truth, he is performing tricks, and admits to it openly on the show. He's not trying to fool anyone! He tells the people he works with that it's nothing paranormal before he even starts. He even explains to some degree HOW he does it - obviously doesn't reveal too much or he'd be out of a job.
That's why the show is so fascinating - that we are so easily manipulated. It's a learned skill, just like learning how to do a card trick.

He once demonstrated "cold reading" - he got more "hits" than the chap on Cable who does those shows where he claims to be talking to people's dead relatives (now that guy _is_ stooping). This was one situation where he didn't tell his audience it was a trick before hand. They were all convinced that he'd been getting information from those who'd passed on.

At the end he explained how it worked, and how it had nothing to do with "the other side".
Some people still believed it was something paranormal, despite the evidence!

The Channel 4 website about the show explains it further:
http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/M/mindcontrol/

There is also more info on his website:
http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk/

He is on tour this summer, if you want to see for yourself, this is your chance. I understand that he will stay to meet people after the show and talk to them too. As the site says, Derren is:

"Clearly the greatest dinner party guest in history... or the scariest man in Britain"

:D

pinkle

Pinklefish said:
"Clearly the greatest dinner party guest in history... or the scariest man in Britain"
And definitely the best-looking *drool* :wow:

Ahem, sorry, back to the discussion... :D

Re: Psyhics/Derren Brown

Dirtybob said:
It seems to me that in many cases he demonstrates the same sort of results that mediums etc produce.
Any one have any thoughts on this?

He certainly does provide similar results. Not because he is psychic - but because virtually all "psychics" use the same tehniques as Derren.

My admiration for him not only comes from the amazing results he can produce - but also the fact that he would never claim to have any "special" ability.

but because virtually all "psychics" use the same tehniques as Derren.

It's amazing how many get by without even these basic skills. What about Doris Stokes, the ultimate fraud, who actually phoned up the people she "helped" and invited them personally onto the show!? I think it's Ian Wilson (I always get him mixed up with Colin Wilson) who does a pretty good expose of the old bag, and it really does make incredible reading.

Desperado said:
It's amazing how many get by without even these basic skills. What about Doris Stokes, the ultimate fraud...

Surprisingly we've not heard a lot from her since she passed over. I wonder why?

I wish I could figure out quite how Derren Brown does the 'jedi mind trick' at the dog track. It could be very useful at my next pay review...

I hadn't been aware of any attempts where the "winning ticket" trick didn't work but he certainly admits that they don't always.

He mentioned in an interview that he will use whatever he can and the fact that there are cameras there is an element that he can use ot his advantage. There is a strong inclination in many to conform - perhaps a bit like stepping onto a film set or stage and not wanting to disturb the scene. or being asked to impersonate someone at very short notice for an interview. Strangely enough I saw Sacha Baron Cohen's (Ali G) in his guise as Bruno the fashion reporter doing exactly that to someone the other day.

Did anyone see the trick where he was blindfolded and nearly stepped on glass and nails and nearly fell off, only being saved by knowing if someone was lying when they said yes and no. Fairly simple, a bit like a human lie detector machine!

Yes, I loved the Jedi Mind Trick!

Still, he's not someone I'd like to meet. Imagine going down the pub with him: 'This is your round'. Or 'you want to sleep with me'.

Pinklefish said:
Steve, I think you've missed the point - Derren Brown is a psychological illusionist. He doesn't claim to be psychic or have any special powers - everything he does IS a trick that anyone could do with practice.

pinkle

My comments were really based upon Uri Geller's claims to have genuine psychic powers, as I was taken in hook, line and sinker by his apparent abilities, illustrating the ease of TV to deceive us into believing anything.
My reference to Derren Brown was merely to show how easily we can be deceived by someone who is dedicated to their art, although I probably didn't explain this very well, hence the misunderstanding.
I have a great deal of respect for Derren Brown, and find his programmes very entertaining, and baffling, to say the least, and he does admit that what he does is an illusion, which is more than could be said for some people. In fact, if Derren Brown did say he was psychic, I would probably believe him.
Will I ever learn?

Steve, I see what you mean now.
I'd be prone to believing he was psychic too - I've even had little X-file esque conspiracy theories that he does in fact have ESP and has been employed by the government to spread disinformation about it!
(chew on that!)

I enjoy his shows mainly because they are something new and a bit different from most of the stuff on TV these days.

Don't get me started on Uri - until he agrees to be tested in controlled conditions (as I understand he won't), I ain't got time for that fella.

pinkle

Yes, it's good to see a bit of honesty for a change regarding these matters, not that I'm a total skeptic, but hey.....!
I used to read tarot cards for a living at one time, tried my hand at the ouija board with good results, investigated a few magickal rituals, also with good results, so I'm not just a believer, but have had some experience in these matters which have reinforced my idea that things are not always quite what they seem.
Having said that, I have also encountered a great deal of charlatan activity in these areas by people who have no qualms about abusing other people's weaknesses and sensitivities, even when they are obviously in states of great distress.
Many of the tarot and psychic lines are a prime example of this.
I worked for two of these before giving it up as a bad job, as I only had contact with them over the phone, so when I finally got to know what they were up to [even though my cards did tell me it was dodgy in the first place, it's often difficult to read for oneself] I was a bit peeved to say the least. Still, I do feel I may have helped a few people along the way.
Not that all the lines are unscrupulous, but it is a bit of a Russian roulette situation, and I would recommend anyone considering using such avenues to check very carefully before parting with their cash.
Personally, as I have already done, I would now recommend people to try it for themselves, because if I can read cards or tea leaves or whatever, anyone can. I'm nothing special and neither is anyone else, no matter how much they would try to have us believe otherwise.
My God, I do go on, don't I. Thanks for your reply, and may the farce be without you. Steve.

Bit of synchronosity cuz I went and had my tarot read this evening. It was a training thing, so it was free.

Wasn't very impressed at all, they were very novice.
The last time I went, they were pretty good, so I think it was just inexperience on their part.
I managed to steer them around a bit just by telling them what I wanted to hear, more or less. Then they repeated it all back to me.
To be honest I don't think they knew enough about the cards.
I got lots of interesting looking ones all together (death, the tower, the devil and that one with the sticks), but although they were careful to tell me that the death card doesn't mean death, they didn't exactly tell me what the other cards stood for.

Ah well - I went with an open mind. I did play with them a bit, but only after I sort of realised they were expecting me to tell them everything.
The first one I went to was happy for me to say nothing. She wasn't fishing at all. I think she might have been the real deal.
(if there is such a thing)

pinkle

Dark Detective said:
He does the Russian Roulette thing this Sunday!

Wooo.....

Ahhh....

Makes David Blaine look a bit of a wuss, eh?

AND at least it doesn't take a month and a half to do either. :D

Did anyone here try to sign up as a volunteer to load the gun?
I was going to try but missed the deadline.

(I mentioned this to some of my colleagues at work and they pointed out that if I loaded the gun it was an absolute certainty that he'd blow his head off).:(

Similar things came up here (although the second thread hasn't had much activity they do show how similar tricks are done and Brown appears in one episode):

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7211

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10802

In the first thread I made this post:

For those interested in the techniques Derren Brown uses have a look at:

Handshake Induction:
http://venus.va.com.au/suggestion/hand.html

For more stuff on Neuro Linguistic Programming see:
http://venus.va.com.au/suggestion/frames.html

This Derren Brown fan site:

http://www.geocities.com/derren_brown/main.html

has lots of links to discussion on his techniques

See:

http://www.freewebs.com/mindc/

http://www.rmjs.co.uk/db

Anyone know more about his forthcoming Russian Roulette trick? A friend was interested in applying but Channel 4's website failed to yield the details.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7211&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

Although the deadline for applying for the Russian Roulette trick had expired my friend knew someone who was invited for interviews. The last they'd heard they'd got down to the last 100 so it seems they are looking for exactly the right candidate. I would imagine some of DB's stunts also invovle a rigorous selection process esp. on ones where people are invited to a location - the one with 2 girls in a 'haunted house' who had to watch the bottle in case it moved sticks in my mind on that front.

Emps

Anyone else watching him play Russian Roulette in a minute?

I hear they have a slight delay so if you gets his brains blown out they can switch things off before they broadcast it - nice extra bit o hype ;)

Emps

I set the satty to play it for the BF. As I've finished my prep for tomorrow's lecture I s'pose I'll have to watch.................:rolleyes:

BUT- after the recent tiger fiasco, we are reminded that Things Can Go Wrong, Even To Very Clever Illusionists, and there is thus a real if very small possibility of seeing Derren's brains splatter. :)

So excuse me, I'm off to open my popcorn and cola and settle down on the sofa.

Wouldn't want to miss anything..........................;)

I don't know about DB, but my palms were sweating.

Emperor said:
Anyone else watching him play Russian Roulette in a minute?

I hear they have a slight delay so if you gets his brains blown out they can switch things off before they broadcast it - nice extra bit o hype ;)

Emps

More necessity than hype. Channel 4 would be ever-so slightly introuble if they broadcast him "miscalculating".

The elimination process was very entertaining and interesting. It was very uncomfortable viewing with the long pause. Don't try it again please Derren. We need you around to show that American in the box how it's done (or not as the case may be)

Back