• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Derren Brown: Master Mind-Manipulator

If he was a plant then you would have thought they'd have picked a more convincing one.

I doubt it was a plant - in his rather enjoyable book 'Trick of the Mind', he states emphatically that the idea of using a stooge is anathema to the 'artistry' of a magic trick.

However - you know at the beginning of his shows, when he says that it's all the result of 'misdirection, trickery, psychology & showmanship' etc? Well, that 'showmanship' bit is a lot more important than it seems. Much of Brown's work is about fooling the audience, not the participant. Take, for example, that trick on his last show, where he apparently made the woman see the colour red as black, and yellow as black. Clever stuff. And naturally, the question we ask is 'how the hell did he make that woman see those colours differently?'

And not: 'wow - how did he make us believe that he had made this woman see the colours differently...'

It's analogous to the classic 'sawing a woman in half' trick. Note that we never ask how the magician managed to cut the woman in two and put her together again - instead, we ask how he made it appear that such a thing had occurred.

Rrose_Selavy said:
Here's an out take with DB you probably won't see on Trick or Treat. Guy freaks out ( and who can blame him) when kidnapped by a taxi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRIV3hPt4AU

-

Great clip, I think DB is fu*king ace, though perhaps the Russian roulette was a bit weak, I'm watching the current season, loved the blank currency but had an inkling that the poker players might have been in on it.

Not the panicky taxi bloke last night, but a heartwarming tale of a young woman and her piano lessons. The waiter business put Derek Acorah to shame, and no psychic powers either.

gncxx said:
Not the panicky taxi bloke last night, but a heartwarming tale of a young woman and her piano lessons.

The bugger wrong footed me there too. I was thinking "There is no way he can teach her to play a piece excellently by not learning it - so fake he has jumped the shark here." Then of course he does the reveal and as well as making me curse his dark wizardly heart I had to applaud him for his cunning (and evil powers too).

Mighty_Emperor said:
gncxx said:
Not the panicky taxi bloke last night, but a heartwarming tale of a young woman and her piano lessons.
Then of course he does the reveal and as well as making me curse his dark wizardly heart I had to applaud him for his cunning (and evil powers too).

Trying to convince us that he can use his powers for good as well as evil eh?
But I've got to say, it made a change to be left with a slightly warm and fuzzy feeling rather than the usual nightmares!

Interesting.

---------
I was a bit disappointed by tonight's main stunt: I know people who would do that without being "driven mad." I think a lot of people would act up if they were basically "told" they were on TV and they could go ahead and be a bit silly for the day.

I reckon that's what happened here. For that particular bloke, the wig/makeup and silly fountain behaviour were extremely unusual and outrageous, whereas for certain others, it'd just be a laugh.

escargot1 said:
I reckon that's what happened here. For that particular bloke, the wig/makeup and silly fountain behaviour were extremely unusual and outrageous, whereas for certain others, it'd just be a laugh.

????

Have my watch, wallet, mobile phone and that unwanted packet of melted "Mars Planets" - congealed into a solid mass in the heat of my pocket (et al), that has, ironically, formed a rudimentary Mars Bar - although more 'flatted' in nature.

Flacid?

No, flatted.

EDIT - Ha HA! - he said RUDE-HIM-ENTRY! Ha HA!

Er, and for all you Scotch people in the house - here's the same joke, deep fried in batter...

deepmars.jpg

Mighty_Emperor said:
Interesting.

---------
I was a bit disappointed by tonight's main stunt: I know people who would do that without being "driven mad." I think a lot of people would act up if they were basically "told" they were on TV and they could go ahead and be a bit silly for the day.

It ended up more like Game for a Laugh. Not the best episode so far.

Starting on on C4 in a few minutes:

Derren Brown: The System

Channel 4 One-off special in which the psychological illusionist explains the system he has devised for always picking the winning horse in a race. To prove his theories are solid, he advises a London mum on which runner to back, culminating in a large, final bet which runs the risk of wiping out her life savings :shock:

Channel 4 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Very enjoyable, I liked the way he led us on to believe that there was no system from the halfway point, then for the ending picked a winner as if to say he could do it if he wanted to!

I was being cynical and saying he'd put four grand on all of the runners and quietly swapped the winning slip with the single mum's when she was whining about losing four grand, naughty me :|

Oldest trick in the book. He backed a bunch of people with a bunch of choices and filmed all of them.

When one came good the film was cut to make it look like they were the only one.

No system, nothing smart, just playing the audience. An Illusion

Jeeze poeple are gullible :roll:

I saw Derren Brown live a couple of years ago. I'll admit there were a couple of things I found puzzling, but a lot of it was predictable. I noticed him slipping the "subliminal" messages into things and it was clear that, when he picked "volunteers", he was going out of his way to ensure they were as suggestible as possible.

He does seem to be running out of material a little, as well.

Mr Average who turned into a quiz genius
By Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor
Last Updated: 1:22am BST 26/04/2008

As someone who cheerfully admitted to having a poor memory and no time for reading books, Glen Brighton's grasp of general knowledge could be politely described as average.

But in the space of just one week he transformed himself into a quiz genius thanks to an extraordinary combination of speed reading and mind techniques.

Mr Brighton, 40, an aviation insurance consultant from Hornchurch, Essex, learned to absorb the contents of hundreds of encyclopaedias and reference books, on such subjects as art, geography, history and science.

He then took on more than 100 of the finest general knowledge brains in Britain in a "champion of champions" contest - surprising everyone with an astonishing performance.

Mr Brighton, a married father-of-two, employed two techniques to expand his memory and store a phenomenal number of facts and figures in his mind.

First, he speed-read mountains of text by mentally "photographing" it in his mind, taking only a few seconds per page.

Then he associated the words on the page with visual images which enabled him to recall them easily.

After setting himself the challenge to learn as much as possible in seven days, no one was more astonished than Mr Brighton when he suddenly found himself able to recall the number of hummingbird types found in the Amazon rainforest (319) or the currency of Liechtenstein (the Swiss franc).

His objective was to enter the Night of Champions quiz at a pub in Fulham, south-west London.

The event is one of the biggest in the pub quiz calendar, drawing champions from pubs across the South East to compete.

It is famed for its fiendishly difficult questions and while the other 23 teams each had up to six members pooling their knowledge, Mr Brighton entered alone.

Andrew Burns, the quizmaster who devised the questions, was astounded to learn the truth about Mr Brighton.

"We were told that a guy would be coming along and entering on his own, and we all found it unbelievable that he could know so much.

"These were the best teams out there and the quiz questions were exceptionally hard because it was a 'champion of champions' contest. What he has done is amazing," Mr Burns told The Daily Telegraph.

Mr Brighton was taught the techniques by Derren Brown, the magician, for a Channel 4 television series.

His performance, and the final result of the quiz, will be revealed in the first episode of Derren Brown: Trick Or Treat, which will be broadcast on Friday.

Mr Brighton applied to be a "guinea pig" on the show without knowing what he would be required to do.

He admitted to finding his sudden acquisition of knowledge "scary" but is thrilled by his new found talent.

"I'm just an average guy with an ordinary background. If I can do it, probably anyone can."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ius126.xml

Excellent but cruel programme tonight. Anyone could see they weren't going to kill a kitten for entertainment, but the power of negative thinking and more importantly negative suggestion was interesting to see in practice.

The more Derren told the subjects not to do something, the more they had to do it! Do you think his hypnotic powers had a lot to do with it? Does anyone fancy trying this out? Not with a kitten, though. Just in case.

Well, it wasn't just negative suggestion, was it... he was holding the arm of the tightrope-walker, and did a bit of regression with the girl.

Anyone see this on Friday? Erm, wasn't that a bit dangerous? Derren must have enormous faith in his abilities! That girl turned into Houdini and after a two month gap between learning the techniques and the actual stunt. Remind me not to sign one of his contracts...

I thought it was a bit dodgy, kidnapping and blindfolding the subject months after stopping any contact.

A reminder that the great man is on Channel 4 tonight at ten o'clock with a special showing of his mindreading stage show. Should be good!

Re: last night's broadcast, did anyone spot the gorilla taking the banana? I didn't and wondered if it had appeared on camera?

gncxx said:
Re: last night's broadcast, did anyone spot the gorilla taking the banana? I didn't and wondered if it had appeared on camera?

I didn't see it, but I did think when watching it that that was probably going to be something for the benefit of the theatre audience only - just because of the limitations of television.

Unless it was all an elaborate double bluff... :shock:

But what about when Derren turned into the gorilla before our very eyes? :shock:

Techy shouted 'Antichrist!'

:lol:

I know! Absolutely brilliant, unless he has an evil twin. According to the film The Prestige, what he did was impossible.

What about Tesla's duplicating machine though?

escargot1 said:
What about Tesla's duplicating machine though?

Er, yeah, but I don't think that was real. It's great that Derren managed to pull off the trick without resorting to science fiction (as far as we know?).

Not real? Not real? What're you on about?

Um, I don't think The Prestige was a documentary. Derren, he's a real person who can change into a gorilla suit in about three seconds. I'd like to have seen Christian Bale with a banana in The Prestige. No, wait, that doesn't sound right...

Back