• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Devils Footprints Assistance

Fallingfrogs

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm attempting to research as much as I can about the 'Great Mystery of Devon' the supposed devils footprints that were found over 100 miles of land on 8th February 1855. Any information or links would be much appreciated. Many thanks

I remember a freind searching for years for the rare book on this subject, (some exist!). His search has yet been fruitless, and he was told that it would cost a sum if he did find it. :(

Sounds a lot like Spring Heel(ed) Jack. I'm pretty sure there is a similar story about SHJ where the footprints were burnt into the road surface...

I'm pretty sure there was a detailed article on this in one of the "Fortean Studies" books that were published a decade or so ago. I'll check when I get home and let you know.

This is how I first came across the story in Look and Learn in the 1960s.

One evening early in February, 1855, snow fell in Devon. And with the snow came one of the strangest unsolved mysteries of all time. For when the townsfolk and villagers awoke next morning, they noticed in the otherwise almost untrodden snow thousands of very odd footprints. They were not only on the ground, but also went straight across the rooftops of houses, over haystacks and high walls. As the day wore on, travellers reported seeing the footprints in many towns. Curious, folk followed the trail, and soon it was established that whoever or whatever had made the marks in the snow had travelled a distance of more than 100 miles in one night. Not only that, they had crossed the two-mile wide estuary of the River Exe.

In Topsham, Lympstone, Exmouth, Teignmouth, Dawlish, Kenton, Newton, Withycombe Raleigh, Woodbury, Bicton and Budleigh, and in many other villages and towns of Devon, curiosity turned to fear. The prints were in a single track, such as only a two-legged creature could make. They were something like the hoof-mark of a donkey. But many of the impressions in the snow showed clearly that it was a cloven foot.

Satan’s footsteps! The notion arose simultaneously in many communities across Devon. Fear kept people locked in their houses at night. Vicars preached sermons on the footprints. Newspapers interviewed many reliable witnesses who had seen the prints and traced their incredible journey. The facts were established beyond any reasonable doubt. Each print was 4 inches long by 2 3/4 inches wide, and spaced 8 1/2 inches apart. The measurements tallied over the whole hundred miles. And they were exactly the same on the sloping roofs of houses as they were in the open fields.

Was it the Devil? Or a donkey hopping 8 1/2 inches on one leg, then swimming a wide estuary before hopping off again to complete his 100-mile hike? To serious investigators, both explanations were nonsense. So the detective work began. The tracks in snow of all likely animals and birds were examined to check on any resemblance. None corresponded exactly. And as one on-the-spot investigator said: “No known animal could have traversed this extent of country in one night, besides having to cross an estuary two miles broad. Neither does any known animal walk in a line of single footsteps. … Birds could not have left these marks as no bird’s foot leaves the impression of a hoof. …”

Could the wind or some other atmospheric condition have so changed the prints as to make quite ordinary footmarks seem mysterious? This was ruled out, because the prints of cats and dogs that had been out on the same night were absolutely normal, and because in one spot the strange prints went across the dusty floor of a roofed barn. The footsteps in the dust were identical with those in the snow outside the barn. Also, the prints were so deep and so clearly defined that one investigator said they looked as though they had been burned in the snow by a hot iron. This statement reinforced the Satan theory. Presumably, coming from Hell, his traditionally cloven foot would have been pretty hot!

The Times newspaper and the Illustrated London News took up the story in great detail. One contemporary report told of a variation in the mystery. A party of trackers discovered footprints that apparently went right through a haystack instead of over the top, as in most cases. The prints simply stopped on one side of the haystack and continued out the other side. Three hours later the same trackers were rewarded with the sight of the prints marching on impressively over the roofs of half a dozen houses. There was no shortage of theories about what made the footprints. Seagulls, cranes, swans, turkeys and moorhens were the first choices of the bird fanciers. Hares, otters and even frogs were favoured by those who rejected the bird theory. A local vicar tried to calm his parishioners by telling them that a kangaroo was the culprit. Though what a kangaroo was doing roaming Devon in the snow was never explained. A man named Tom Fox decided the prints were made by a jumping rat which had the ability to land all four feet together. But when the British Museum and the Zoological Society were consulted, they were, of course, unable to support any of these notions. Nor were they able to produce any clue to the true explanation.

Next came a statement from Richard Owen, a famous naturalist. He claimed that the prints were made by badgers. A badger’s paw, he pointed out, makes a print bigger than itself. A badger also places its hind paws in the same place as its forepaws. No one badger could have covered the distance and swum the estuary, admitted Owen. But, he added, many hungry badgers were about that night, and what seemed the work of one animal was in fact the work of many.

What Owen did not explain was how a prowling badger could climb up the sides of houses, haystacks and high walls. Or why. And if the whole matter was something as simple as this, why have such footprints never been noted before or since? The people of Devon knew that such an explanation as Owen’s ignored many of the facts. They plucked up courage and decided to hunt the culprit. In armed bands they set out across Devon. But all they managed to shoot were a few sleepy foxes.

A month after the appearance of the prints, The Times reported: “The interest has scarcely yet subsided, many inquiries still being made into the origin of the footprints which caused such consternation. … Various speculations have been made as to the cause of the footprints. Some have asserted that they are those of a kangaroo, while others affirm that they are the impressions of claws of large birds driven ashore by the stress of the weather. … But the matter at present is as much involved in mystery as ever it was.”

And that, in spite of repeated sifting of the evidence, is where the matter rests today. Another theory is that the prints were made by some as yet unknown arctic bird which had strayed far from its icy home in search of food. Which seems at least as probable as badgers, a kangaroo — or Satan!

It's the subject of the first essay in Rupert T. Gould's Oddities, which AFAIK hasn't had a new edition in a few decades but is a good book for a Fortean to hunt down.

Are you trying to do actual research, or just want fuller versions of the story than you have in front of you? Because I think hunting down original newspaper stories and trying to track down descendents of the original witnesses to see if any untapped records are out there is your only decent shot at shedding new light on the subject, and that's a big job right there.

Good luck, whatever you're trying for.

In "In the Life of a Romany Gypsy" by Manfri Frederick Wood, a detailed description is given of how one band of gypsies made the tracks to scare a rival band of gypsies into thinking the Devil was abroad so that they would leave the area.

I had some in my back garden about five years ago but there was no mystery to them. They were magpie and crow footprints that, as the snow started to thaw, became distorted until they looked like cloven hoofmarks. Given the nature of the footprints in Devon, I've always assumed since then that they had the same origin.

Back