• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dinosaur Petroglyphs in Arizona

Thks Ruff - a good read.

'Puff the Magic Dragon' is clearly a much more recent carving. The others seem not dissimilar to others found around the world, which I think are sometimes interpreted as impressions of shamanic visions? Surprised - but pleased - the article didn't use the 'glyphs as evidence of alien visitations or that dinosaurs roamed Arizona 2,000 years ago. But I bet Von Daniken's fans would have a field day!

btw I've never seen a real life dragon. But I have drawn pictures of dragons. Why suppose our ancestors lacked the imagination we have today? If we're capable of drawing imaginary monsters then surely our ancestors were able to as well.

I'm not sure if Von Daniken mentions these glyphs, but I think he may have. I know the (oxy)moronic Scientific Creationists love them.

Here is a thought I just had, though: The arizona desert features quite a few areas where many fossil remains are found. It doesn't seem completely unlikely to me that the locals may have found almost complete remains embedded in the rock and drawn the petroglyphs as an attempt to recreate what they may have looked like. They may even have been able to reconstruct partial skeletons. There is no need to suggest that they had seen live dinosaurs for them to have had an idea of these creatures - to suggest they did is to deny them any creativity or capacity for scientific insight.

At Petroglyphs Provincial Park in Ontario, there is a figure that is supposed to be a porcupine, but looks to me more like a stegosaurus. And some Ojibway depictions of Great Lynx, Mishipeshu, look dinosaur-like.

Native Americans were aware of dinosaur bones. The Blackfoot called them 'Grandfather of the Buffalo'.

I agree with Breakfast. A hunter, skilled at butchering game, would know enough about animal anatomy to be able to imagine what the living critter looked like, if he found a skeleton.

A page about Native ceremonial use of fossils.

Back