• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Disembodied Arm

andrew1461

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
First off let me say this is my first post and hello to everyone and please bare with me while I explain –

This happened not to me but to my other half not long ago about 6 months I guess in our house.

She was down stairs with our son who was about 2 months old at this point who had just had a feed and had fallen asleep in her arms so she decided to take him upstairs and put him in his crib and I should mention that it was about 10:30 in the morning and the curtains were mostly pulled across so it was dim but not dark,

As she stood up she walked out of the front room in to the hallway where the stairs are and turned around to close the door with her right hand ( she had our son in her left arm ) and that’s when it happened, as she reached foreword to take hold of the door handle which as you look at the door from the hallway is on the left side of the door an arm with another hand reached out the same time she did from behind the door frame also reaching for the handle.

As you can guess this frightened the pants off her and she quickly withdrew her hand and the other disembodied hand did the same, she described it as wearing a white shirt sleeve with long slender fingers (she was wearing a pink dressing gown), she did not look into the front room around the corner for fear of seeing someone standing their so she quickly shut the door and ran up stairs and woke me up after about 20 minutes.

I will also add that this is not the 1st experience that she has had down stairs with various tugs on the back of her shirt and 2 weeks ago a pair of kitchen scissors going AWOL for 4 days and then turning up in a odd place and my brother seeing a black cat in his bedroom which he thought was Figaro (our cat) but putting the light on nothing was their.

I did try to re-create the incident in the same conditions but did not get anything to appear as I thought the glass panels in the door might explain it but you can’t reflect your image into nothing (our house is no smoking), it might have something to do with reading bits on children being visited by family that has passed away and also it seemed to be helping by closing the door behind her and withdrew sharply when it realised it had been spotted.

Hope you found this worthy of comment and my spelling not to atrocious.

Andrew, is there any way in which an electrical shock could have been involved? Could the door handle have become electrified?

I've come across a somewhat similar experience, but it involved an electrical shock.

Somewhere in the writings of the mid-19th Century English physicist John Tyndall there's an account of how he received a stiff shock (probably from a Leyden jar) and for several minutes thereafter saw his arms floating separate from his body.

A wonderful account, thank you! :D

My mother used to tell the story that one night, when I was a few months old, and my father was away on a business trip, she got a feeling that there was a terrible evil nearby, and so stayed all night watching me. A few days later, it emerged there had been an escaped prisoner of some sort roaming our street that night.

Obviously not the same kind of story, and it could be pure coincidence/the psychology of new mothers, but perhaps mothers do have an instinctive way of protecting their young infants and this was somehow related to the mystery arm.

OldTimeRadio said:
Andrew, is there any way in which an electrical shock could have been involved? Could the door handle have become electrified?

I've come across a somewhat similar experience, but it involved an electrical shock.

Somewhere in the writings of the mid-19th Century English physicist John Tyndall there's an account of how he received a stiff shock (probably from a Leyden jar) and for several minutes thereafter saw his arms floating separate from his body.

That's very interesting, OTR - do you have any further info on that? I'm intrigued.

I was talking to my daughter and her friend about some of the odd stuff that has happened to me. Kiddo told me that she had once seen a disembodied hand. Early one morning she was sitting at the computer when she saw movement out the corner of her eye. Hanging in the doorway was a t-shirt of mine, and coming from under the sleeve was a hand. As she watched the hand turned blue and disappeared.

A very interesting theory :)

OldTimeRadio said:

I don’t think the door handle was electrified in less it was static electricity and if I remember my physics correctly I think wood is not a very good conductor but then again the door handle is brass which is, although we have lived in the house for 13 years now and I do not recall ever receiving a shock off the handle, I would not entirely rule that explanation out and I certainly would not have thought of it so thank you I will keep it in mind.

I saw my own DEATH

I would also like to tell you about an experience that I had about 2004 in Edinburgh (I looked for a thread to put this in but premonitions seem to be about dreams)

It was during the Edinburgh festival and myself and my other half had just enjoyed a fantastic night out at the Gilded Balloon comedy club, it was early morning about 4 am ish and we were heading back to the royal mile passing by the Smirnoff underbelly club.

As we walked passed Smirnoff underbelly I glanced over and things when weird, I saw my life on fast forward – about the next 10 – 15 minutes or so and what I saw turned me white, we were walking to get a cab up to the royal mile and we turned right to head down to where the heart of Lothian is on the pavement when I was attacked and stabbed in the stomach and I saw myself fall to the pavement with blood running between my fingers and I could hear my other half screaming for help and to be honest I don’t think I lived as their was a black moment.

I slowed right down on the pavement and I was now very reluctant to get to the royal mile as you can imagine, my other half also noticed a change in me and asked if I was ok, I did not tell her everything but what I did say upset her so we got to that corner of the royal mile and as luck would have it a cab turned up.

I did have a dink that night – Smirnoff ice - but I was not drunk drunk if you know what I mean and the images were so vivid that I can still see them now and it still raises the hairs on the back of my neck. The only thing that I did not see was the person or thing that attacked me – it was like it came from the shadows of the ally ways and vanished.

I have no idea what would have happened if anything if we had carried on walking, maybe it was something that had happened to someone else and I got something put in my head but it was defiantly my other half and I in the vision.

Did I see my own death? And if so I was allowed to change the out come.
:shock: :!:

Mythopoeika said:
That's very interesting, OTR - do you have any further info on that? I'm intrigued.

Myth, I read this 35 to 40 years ago in one of his volumes of miscellaneous scientific lectures. As I recall, it also involved his perceptions of his legs.

Re: I saw my own DEATH

andrew1461 said:
we turned right to head down to where the heart of Lothian is on the pavement when I was attacked and stabbed in the stomach and I saw myself fall to the pavement with blood running between my fingers and I could hear my other half screaming for help and to be honest I don’t think I lived as their was a black moment.

I don't know if you knew this at the time, but the Heart of Midlothian marks the entrance to the Tolbooth, which by the mid-17th century was the town prison. Immediately outside the Tolbooth is where executions took place.

Re: I saw my own DEATH

ttaarraass said:
I don't know if you knew this at the time, but the Heart of Midlothian marks the entrance to the Tolbooth, which by the mid-17th century was the town prison. Immediately outside the Tolbooth is where executions took place.

Isn't that where Major Weir and his sister met their end in 1670?

Andrew, your account of your Edinburgh adventure brings to mind a somewhat similar experience from the United States.

There was a late 19th Century American lawyer (whose name, alas, escapes my mind) who was important enough to have a biography written about him and issued by the major publishingf firm of Lippincott.

The biography included the details of a most singular shared dream.

As a young man in the 1860s the lawyer dreamed that he was set upon by a street ruffian, who in fact murdered him. His last memory before experiencing the dream-death was that three good friends of his were racing towards his defense, but they were all too late.

He also remembered the order in which his friends arrived. And he realized that while they were all close friends of his, they were unknown to each other.

Over the following few weeks he ran into each of these friends, who were all delighted to see him....alive.

Because they'd each of them dreamed that he'd been murdered. Moreover, each claimed that they'd raced to the lawyer's defense in the company of two men who were strangers to them but who they somehow knew were also friends of the endangered man. Each man remembered his relative place "in line."

But all were too late to prevent the murder.

Perhaps the oddest thing is that the dream itself seems to have been essentially meaningless.

Speaking of disembodied arms... a friend told me this story just last week.

She was at girl's camp (so she was in her early teens) and a few of them got up late at night and decided they wanted to go to the kitchen for a drink. The kitchen was in a different cabin and they went in the dark, late at night. Huddled together they entered the kitchen cabin and tried in vain to find the light switch as their eye became accostomed to the dark. Suddenly they all saw and heard a hairy arm pawing at the wall in front of them. Much screaming and panic ensued.

Turns out that the cook lived in that cabin and it was his arm. He heard the girls in the kitchen trying to find the light switch and had reached outside his bedroom door to flip on the kitchen lights for them.

She said she's never been thirsty during the night since then.

OldTimeRadio said:
Perhaps the oddest thing is that the dream itself seems to have been essentially meaningless.

Well, not precognitive because the murder didn't happen. But the dream was certainly causitive because the man discussed it with his friends and we're discussing it now.

The question is what was the dream meant to cause?

Let me add a bit of documentation and clarification to my June 18, 2007, post above concerning the American lawyer and his shared dream.

The lawyer's name was Henry Armitt Brown. He experienced the dream during the Fall of 1865, in New York City, while he was yet a law student. The documentation we have was written out by Brown 3 1/2 years later, on May 3, 1869.

The letter is included in his biography "written by the learned James M. Hoppins, for many years a professor of Yale University, first in the Divinity School and aftereards in the Art Department."

The details were included in Dr. Walter Franklin Prince's NOTED WITNESSES FOR PSYCHIC OCCURRENCES (1928 and 1962).

Some years ago when I had a job which involved home visits, I often heard spooky stories from clients.

One woman told me how, when she was newly married, she lived in an old house which had the kitchen in an extension, reached by a sort of low-ceilinged corridor.

Every evening she'd take her husband's meal down this passage from the kitchen, and every time, she swore, a pair of arms would reach down from the ceiling and grab at the tray. :shock:

escargot1 said:
Some years ago when I had a job which involved home visits, I often heard spooky stories from clients.

One woman told me how, when she was newly married, she lived in an old house which had the kitchen in an extension, reached by a sort of low-ceilinged corridor.

Every evening she'd take her husband's meal down this passage from the kitchen, and every time, she swore, a pair of arms would reach down from the ceiling and grab at the tray. :shock:

That would happen to me exactly ONCE... and then I'd be gone. Hubby could shift for himself.

To be honest, I'd have been tempted to let the damn things take the tray, pass them a fork and say "right then, let's see the rest of you then".

Fizz32 said:
To be honest, I'd have been tempted to let the damn things take the tray, pass them a fork and say "right then, let's see the rest of you then".

Oh. I dunno. You might want to make your demands BEFORE you give them a fork. :twisted:

You've never tasted my cooking, have you?

escargot1 said:

Ever since I saw that Jean Cocteau film I've wanted my very own corridor with arms sticking out of the walls.

Drat! Some people have all the luck!

* kicks computer table leg *

OldTimeRadio said:
Ever since I saw that Jean Cocteau film I've wanted my very own corridor with arms sticking out of the walls.

See The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse for the price you pay for having arms (and an arse in this case) sticking out of the walls.

I saw La Belle & La Bête (1946) last Thursday at the Alliance Francais, truly a master piece by Cocteau. That scene where arms hold candelabra which light up one by one then the arms swivel -wow! Also the rather feline looking beast, both that and the candelabra influenced other versions of Beauty & the Beast, especially Disney. The arms also rise from tables to serve drink and food, not to mention the carved heads on the fireplace coming to life. Best though must have been the statue of Diana the Huntress awaking and letting off a lethal arrow. Great performances from Jean Marais as La Bête/ The Prince / Avenant and Josette Day as Belle. Written and Directed by French poet and filmmaker Jean Cocteau. An enduring classic. 9/10.

I saw La Belle & La Bête (1946) last Thursday at the Alliance Francais, truly a master piece by Cocteau. That scene where arms hold candelabra which light up one by one then the arms swivel -wow! Also the rather feline looking beast, both that and the candelabra influenced other versions of Beauty & the Beast, especially Disney. The arms also rise from tables to serve drink and food, not to mention the carved heads on the fireplace coming to life. Best though must have been the statue of Diana the Huntress awaking and letting off a lethal arrow. Great performances from Jean Marais as La Bête/ The Prince / Avenant and Josette Day as Belle. Written and Directed by French poet and filmmaker Jean Cocteau. An enduring classic. 9/10.
La Belle & La Bête - Glad I'm reminded of this, going to see if I can locate a digital copy now.

Back