• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Fish Suffer From Exposure to Uriah Heep?

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Do fish suffer from exposure to Uriah Heep?

Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:33PM BST

HELSINKI (Reuters) - A Finnish researcher is to study fish in an aquarium while a rock group performs nearby, to see if the sound causes any ill-effects or distress.

Bands including ageing rockers Uriah Heep will perform on Friday night to about 3,000 fans in a tent just a couple of dozen metres away from the aquarium.

"I will be looking for any abnormal behaviour or activity," said researcher Mikko Erkinaro.

The 500,000-litre tank is home to salmon, trout, pike and perch and other species common in Finland's brackish coastal waters.

"It could be quite nasty to arrange such an aquarium and a performance venue (so close)," Erkinaro said, "especially when the (band) is a bit old-fashioned."

© Reuters 2007. All rights reserved.

Scradje

I suppose whether this is animal cruelty or not depends on whether you like Uriah Heap, but what does the researcher mean by "nasty"? I question his motvies!

I doubt that this has any effect. A chum of mine has lots of tropical fish in his lounge in several tanks and there is always some loud annoying music on in his place (lucky bugger inherited a detached house).

The fish seem fine and are living and breeding normally as best as I can tell, however my friends hearing is not good at all.

He could do his 'experiment' just as well by playing pre-recorded music very loudly to the fish. This isn't about research. It's about attracting publicity. And it seems to be working.

Back