• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do spells work

Thracianhoard1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Bear with me on this, I am a rational 42 year old male who is at his wit's end. I have been having a relationship with someone which has run its course as far as I am concerned but the other person can't let go

In desperation I have recently downloaded a spell from the internet designed to stop some one from loving me where the love is no longer reciprocated. I genuinely don't want to hurt the other person.

My questions is do these spells work and is there any chance of harming the other person? I can beliveve in a placebo effect if I was doing the spell on myself but don't see how that would work for someone else

Any thoughts?

Any spell used against another person even for good purposes is black magic. I'd advise you not to do it. You could however use Sigil Magic or The Cosmic Ordering Service to improve your own situation.

Or you could try a restraining order. Not being flippant here - if you say it's over but the other party won't accept it, then any attention from them becomes harassment.

Good day,

This is something that does not require any spellwork. If this person will not leave you alone after you've made it very clear that their attention is no longer wanted than there is other steps that you can take to ensure they leave you alone.

Spells work just exactly as well as prayers.

The Cosmic Ordering Service? That sounds brilliant.

Oh, and if you´re a rational male what are you doing looking at spells? No, they do not work.

I tend to lean in the direction that certain spells might actually have some effect. (Is that enough qualifiers for you?)

Shouldn't any effort to change the status quo have infinitely more effect, in either direction than no effort?

If by nothing else than further concentrating the will of the operator?

We have a great big thread called Does Magic Work in which many people opine at great length and with some heat on this subject - there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then and I don't necessarily feel the same now as I did then, but it should save us going over some of the same contentious ground again.
Actually this sort of question comes up quite a lot as a quick browse through the esoterica section will show.

As you are a complete beginner and we don't know what kind of spell you 'downloaded from the internet' I'd rate your chances of success as pretty slim whatever. I also agree that if the situation is that desperate then the law, or just sticking it out til your ex finally gives up might be a better bet.

The main problem with magic(k), apart from the fact that there's no scientific evidence for it whatever, isn't overdoing it by accident and ending up with a room full of hungry demons or someone dead under a truck, or even that whole 'an ye fuck with another's chi, t'universe will turn round and shit on ye three times three' or however it goes, it's the way that without months and months of very dull exercises to improve visualisation, practice manipulating 'energies', brainwashing yourself that yes, by golly, it does work and building up mechanisms of only going stark raving bonkers when absolutely necessary and finding your way back afterwards, it's all just so many silly words and coloured candals and so on.

That said there are things you could try. Your spell for instance. Go on, have a pop, what do we know, really? Experiment and draw your own conclusions :) Or, if someone in your situation approached me for a working for something like this, I'd suggest either a bit of hoodoo, because the 'power' in hoodoo comes largely from the physical substances used, meaning you don't have to be experienced - maybe you want a little Hotfoot Powder- or sigil magic(k) because it's easy and just about everyone can wank ... sorry, I mean charge a sigil.

If you want to make sure not to invoke the wrath of the karma-dealing sky parents some traditions insist on, just mangle you desire from 'stay the hell away from me, bitch' to something fluffy like 'may you find a new and fulfilling relationship that allows you to move on and achieve all your wonderful potential' or something - frankly I don't think my parents would have been fooled by that sort of linguistic wrangling let alone the lord and lady of the universe, but it works for some people ;)

/edit/ - manners - welcome to the board

Hello, is the casting a spell, an easy way to deal with a bad situation,
Think about what this so called spell has done, not to the other person, but to you. Try to deal with your situation in the real world, Life is not easy.

you don't need spells mate , just concentrate on the person being out of your life.
i have done this loads of times with people who have upset me or done me harm .
just concentrate hard, get angry even and think them out of your life and believe me it works.

Do spells work?

Will David Beckham's football boots make me a Galactico?

spells work

yes spells work.
make sure to cast a circle first, then concentrate.
the candles, herbs, etc are helpful but not totally necessary.
opinions vary, some say do it once in a big way and then forget about it, others think do it several times until successful. just don't give out any out mixed signals.
form a strong intent.
unlikely to cause any harm.
close your circle when done.

Do spells work? Actually the answer has to be 'no' if one is assessing in a scientific rationalist way - and after all, everything that exists must be capable of being assessed in in this way or it would not exist would it?

What spells - and prayer say - actually do is heighten a sense of 'otherness' where certain effects can be manifested...but the effect is in no way due to the spell but to the heightened awareness.

In fact, because many spells now are populist and can be found on the shelves of Waterstones or on the 'internets' they are robbed of this 'other-making' capacity (which needs some strong emotion such as fear - of hell, or the devil or curses or whatever) - and so they cannot possibly work. When they seem to it is coincidence.

Spells don't work - the state that casting a spell used to be able to put one into does the work. But then so could anything which heightens you that much whilst retaining focus...

Meditate, wish something good on the person that will take them out of your life and watch it happen.

Always works for me. ;)

Scientific basis for spell casting

segovius said:
Do spells work? Actually the answer has to be 'no' if one is assessing in a scientific rationalist way - and after all, everything that exists must be capable of being assessed in in this way or it would not exist would it?

Interestingly, in 1985, a book was published by an accomplished scientist who argued that if we didn't have a concept of "Sorcery" (his choice of word for spell casting) already, it could now be derived from science.

His argument was quite convincing.

If you can still get a copy it is well worth a read. "Sorcery" by J Finley Hurley, RKP 1985

The whole concentrate-and-wish-annoying-person-away method has always worked wonders for me.
Got rid of an very unpleasant person like that. After she'd done a shocking amount of damage in a short period of time, I thought she might be happier er...somewhere else. While I was concentrating on her happy new life very far away, I sort of gestured Northwards automatically (since all other directions led to the ocean, more or less) Within a week, she announced that she was moving to Canada. Nearly 2000 miles North.
Maybe an indication of how hard I was concentrating. :lol:

forgive me if this has already been posted as I am just going off of the initial post and have already seen the warnings as far as to not attempt a spell you have found on the internet as the desired effects will either, not work to begin with or have its own set of repercussions.

I think the biggest thing holding you back would be the fact that you would not infuse any of your own personality into whatever ritual you planned to conduct. Alternatively however the intent will be there.

My suggestions are as follows :

1) be seen with another woman, dinner, out for drinks, coming into your house ( if she's sitting outside of your house waiting for you )

2) change your home phone #, your cell phone # or call your provider and ask whether they have an option to block a specific # or #'s

3) change your location

4) don't answer your door and install in a video camera looking onto your front and back porch so you can see who it is exactly that's calling on you

5) hire a hypnotist to act like your friend, have him and your ex come over for some drinks and hypnotize her subconsciously to forget who you are! hah

6) on a more serious note, be honest and up front with her making your intent and your side of your relationship with her is a no go. be clear and send no mixed signals, and ask her to leave your home afterwards.

A news item today about the discoveryof a huge haul of Angl-Saxon gold:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 272058.stm

Mr Herbert, 55, of Burntwood in Staffordshire, who has been metal detecting for 18 years, came across the hoard as he searched land belonging to a farmer friend. The exact location has not been disclosed.

"I have this phrase that I say sometimes; 'spirits of yesteryear take me where the coins appear', but on that day I changed coins to gold," he said.

"I don't know why I said it that day but I think somebody was listening and directed me to it. :shock:

That spell worked! 8)

do spells work ?

Yes,if you believe in them.That may sound flippant,but belief is a strong fundamental aspect to the power of spell-casting.is it acceptable to cast a spell against another person in order to distance them from you....no....that would be exerting your will over theirs....but it would be within the right track to cast a spell that would make you appear to be less attractive ! The influence would be apon yourself.Is this why it is called a craft ? Sometimes we have to be crafty ?

Atomic scientist Niels Bohr had a lucky horseshoe above his door. A friend asked: "Do you think it's lucky?" Bohr replied: "Of course not - but I am told it works even if you don't believe in it."*

:)

*I wasn't there, but apparently that's how it went. A bit.

Re: Scientific basis for spell casting

conathedoylarian said:
Interestingly, in 1985, a book was published by an accomplished scientist who argued that if we didn't have a concept of "Sorcery" (his choice of word for spell casting) already, it could now be derived from science.

If you can still get a copy it is well worth a read. "Sorcery" by J Finley Hurley, RKP 1985

This is a topic I've always been interested in, the older magical myths/etc. and whether perhaps there was something to them - so to that end, I have purchased an old (but in good condition) copy of this book upon your comment. I've had a quick flip through and it does look interesting. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Electric_Monk said:
conathedoylarian said:

This is a topic I've always been interested in, the older magical myths/etc. and whether perhaps there was something to them - so to that end, I have purchased an old (but in good condition) copy of this book upon your comment. I've had a quick flip through and it does look interesting. Thanks for the recommendation :)

It's quite a common quote found in various books attributed to a variety of different people (usually defaults to Einstein) that "At some point in the future Science will be indistinguishable from Magic to our 20th/ 21st Century eyes". I believe that for some people today it already is!

Electric_Monk said:
conathedoylarian said:

It's quite a common quote found in various books attributed to a variety of different people (usually defaults to Einstein) that "At some point in the future Science will be indistinguishable from Magic to our 20th/ 21st Century eyes". I believe that for some people today it already is!

millomite said:
It's quite a common quote found in various books attributed to a variety of different people (usually defaults to Einstein) that "At some point in the future Science will be indistinguishable from Magic to our 20th/ 21st Century eyes".
Never heard Einstein credited with this idea, but...

Arthur C. Clarke formulated the following three "laws" of prediction:

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%E2% ... three_laws

I disagree with it anyway. Technology is always distinguishable from magic.

The chief difference is that technology always works on some underlying principles, and can be explained. Magic, by its very nature, can't.

So I would amend it to: Any insufficiently explained technology appears indistinguishable from magic.

Essentially, if you met a caveman, he might think your boomsticks are magic, but you can demonstrate to him how they work in fairly basic terms. Your mobile phone might take a bit longer, but, in principle, it's explainable.

Of course, this assumes you, yourself, understand the basic operating principles of your technology.

Anome_ said:
Of course, this assumes you, yourself, understand the basic operating principles of your technology.
Which becomes incresingly unlikely, as technologies and materials become ever more subtle and complex...

It would be hard enough to explain a transistor to a caveman, let alone a micro-chip or a computer! ;)

The trouble is, there are whole hierarchies of science and technology involved, and to give even an outline of the operation of such devices to a caveman would require him to have a sophisticated education already. You can't expect him to understand integrated circuits if he's never heard of electricity, for example.

In the end, it's simpler to say that a technology beyond someone's understanding is magic. In fact, that would do for a definition of magic - unless you can show that there exists a non-technological magic.

But you could never show that any example of 'real' magic was not simply some technology beyond your understanding...! ;)

There may be hierarchies of science and technology involved, but that's my point. All those hierarchies can be explained. The hypothetical caveman of our thought experiment doesn't need to have a sophisticated education to start with, because all of the scientific principles and theory can be explained. It may take a while, but that is why it's a thought experiment, and not an actual anthropological study. (That, and the poor availability of cavemen these days.)

The key distinction is between things that can be explained and things that can't, regardless of how long any explanation may take, and whether the principles are yet known. (Presumably if someone has built a technological device, the principles are understood by someone. Just because it isn't you doesn't mean it's magic, it just means it appears magical.

I really need to sit down and flesh all this out properly. I suspect it may form the basis of my doctoral thesis in Pretentious Rambling about Scientific Theory.

Back