• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You Dream In Colour / Color? With Or Without Sound?

Do You Dream In Colour? Do You Dream With Sound?

• No - black and white only, no sound

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - black and white only, but with sound

• Yes - colour but no sound

• Yes - colour and sound

Votes: 33 100.0%

• Total voters
Don't worry about it too much, OTR! I see that 53 people voted in the poll but there have been ten times that number of viewings of the thread. Of course it could be that those 53 each returned ten times but I'd guess people only voted if they wanted to make a point. I think received wisdom used to be that it was rare to dream in colour so anyone who felt they were glad not to be grey voted. The rest greyly abstained.

So you may not be so alone.

Mind you, I rarely vote in polls and am fairly sure that I dream in colour and sound. I've certainly dreamed of rolling green hills and heard wonderful music.

Back to one or two then. :?

A couple of days ago I woke up after having a mad dream, not got a clue what the dream was about but the VIVID colours were amazing. I know people say we don't dream in colour but I did. The reds and greens really stood out, like I said I've no clue what the dream was about apart from the colours. Anyone else had anything similar?

Don't worry about it too much, OTR! I see that 53 people voted in the poll but there have been ten times that number of viewings of the thread. Of course it could be that those 53 each returned ten times but I'd guess people only voted if they wanted to make a point. I think received wisdom used to be that it was rare to dream in colour so anyone who felt they were glad not to be grey voted. The rest greyly abstained.
So you may not be so alone.
Mind you, I rarely vote in polls and am fairly sure that I dream in colour and sound. I've certainly dreamed of rolling green hills and heard wonderful music.
Back to one or two then. :?

NOTE: The poll results have been lost (probably during one of the forum's updates or migrations).

The poll has now been reset and reopened.

A couple of days ago I woke up after having a mad dream, not got a clue what the dream was about but the VIVID colours were amazing. I know people say we don't dream in colour but I did. The reds and greens really stood out, like I said I've no clue what the dream was about apart from the colours. Anyone else had anything similar?

Your post has been copied here from the 'COVID Vivid Dreaming' thread. It's relevant here, and it is worthwhile to resurrect this thread.

As to your specific question ...

I dream in color, and to the best of my recollection (which includes a lot of attention to my dreaming starting in childhood) I've always dreamed in color.

Sometimes the colors are relatively drab, and sometimes they're notably vibrant and vivid. I suppose the best way to describe the range of colors is that it's akin to the varying color vibrancy and saturation in old photos. Sometimes it's sort of faded, and sometimes it's sort of intense.

I've dreamed of watching monochrome / black-and-white films or TV shows in the course of a dream, and I recall viewing monochrome text and pictures in documents. Still, I don't recall any dream that was itself wholly rendered without any color.

People who believe that dreams aren't in color just have bad memories. Either that or they're boring people. :p

When I was a kid, I wondered if I dreamt in colour. One dream that I'm sure was in response to my ponderings was that I was standing in front of a window and a rainbow appeared through the window.
I have also, once, dreamt that I was deaf and heard nothing in the dream.
I can also feel temperatures in my dreams if it has relevance. Again, as a kid, I dreamt that I was in the back seat of the family car and a space ship was following behind. It was either the sunlight shining through the back window, or the ship was sending beams through the window, my neck felt quite hot.
I also lucid dream (there is a thread regarding this) on occasion and when I look at specific things to intentionally look at them, the colours are very vibrant.

Last edited:
I also dream in colour and sound and recently I have found myself reading a lot in dreams?! What the flip's that all about? One of the weirder things is that when I'm swimming in a dream – not often but enough for it to be not that unusual – there's very little relationship with the water. It's almost as if I'm swimming on top of the water rather than through it. I've also got very little sensation (or memory of the sensation) of whether the water is hot or cold.

I've had a few dreams recently where I'm running or walking in bare feet. In real life the skin on feet is soft but in dreams being shoeless never causes me discomfort. Hey ho.

I noted that on some of the older posts that people asked about hearing music.
Yes I have often played piano (I took lessons as a kid) and have made wonderful music, but despite trying to remember some of it upon waking, cannot remember any. And I have really tried, even "listening" really hard and staying with the dream as long as possible to wake up with the tune. No luck:(. I also dream that the piano is out of tune and has some keys that won't play.

I've always dreamed in colour; some of my earliest memories are dream images.

I've also, occasionally, smelt and eaten things in dreams; it's always somehow better than in real life, the flavours especially have a sort of perfection to them.

I've also ... eaten things in dreams; it's always somehow better than in real life, the flavours especially have a sort of perfection to them.
I used to dream of eating cakes or candy and having a terrible taste and then trying to find anything that would take the taste out of my mouth. Horrible dreams:puke2:

A classmate (aged about 13) confidently announced that the most common dream everyone had was of monochrome wavy lines and geometric patterns - greeted with sage nods (but I was thinking 'whaa ?').
Possibly my strangest dream ever (I wrote it down but lost it) was primarily in just two colours - red and gold.

A classmate (aged about 13) confidently announced that the most common dream everyone had was of monochrome wavy lines and geometric patterns - greeted with sage nods (but I was thinking 'whaa ?').
Possibly my strangest dream ever (I wrote it down but lost it) was primarily in just two colours - red and gold.

I get full colour dreams, proper sound and if it's a strange one, blockbuster special effects. I love my dreams.

I've always dreamed in full color with all associated sensory input (I can hear/see/feel/taste/etc.). I've taken drugs in dreams that I'd never do in real life and they definitely affected how I felt in the dream, sometimes drastically.

My most hated dreams are where I'll have some sort of difficulty controlling my body. Like my legs won't quite work right, so I have to reach down and move them with my hands or something. Those are absolutely terrifying.

recently I have found myself reading a lot in dreams?! What the flip's that all about?

In the past I've (almost) never been able to understand what I was reading in dreams. Either the letters would be glyphs of some sort or I wouldn't be able to focus on them at all. Since covid, I find myself regularly reading in dreams, almost every night. I chalk it up to the "vivid dreams during lockdown thing".

I've always dreamed in full color with all associated sensory input (I can hear/see/feel/taste/etc.). I've taken drugs in dreams that I'd never do in real life and they definitely affected how I felt in the dream, sometimes drastically.

My most hated dreams are where I'll have some sort of difficulty controlling my body. Like my legs won't quite work right, so I have to reach down and move them with my hands or something. Those are absolutely terrifying.

In the past I've (almost) never been able to understand what I was reading in dreams. Either the letters would be glyphs of some sort or I wouldn't be able to focus on them at all. Since covid, I find myself regularly reading in dreams, almost every night. I chalk it up to the "vivid dreams during lockdown thing".

The mysteries of the universe are just there, then a courier bangs on your door wanting you to sign a package.

I dream in colour and sound, although often the colours are very muted. I also lucid dream occasionally and get tactile sensations (though it's sometimes mismatched e.g. glass feeling soft and resilient, like rubber).
Didn't you once dream about me?

I dream in colour and with sound - although the sound seems intermittent. I dreamt last night that I was in London - riding a bus and walking around. I saw many colours including my piece of chewing gum which when I took it out of my mouth was white and watched as it started to swell to the size of a large blanket and changed to the colour red. I threw it into a large black bin which had a blue bin liner.

In technicolor, with sound and also, if it's filmic, a complete soundtrack. Soundtrack is usually whatever music I heard last before I went to bed.

Couple of weeks ago I was watching on YT an animation about the Titanic that showed the sinking in real time, overlaid with the Morse code messages sent between Titanic and other ships. I woke up the next day, realising I'd dreamt the Morse Code sounds all night, overlaying whatever it was I was dreaming about. (I went on a Titanic hyper focus phase for a fortnight - just before the Titan news).

ETA: My dad was a radio operator in the paras, and so knew Morse code but I'm clueless as the bits and pieces he told me about it never stuck. So no doubt the code in my dream was meaningless.

I definitely dream in colour and with sound (it's a toss up whether the language used in my dreams is English or Spanish, could be either but is never both in the same dream).
That's interesting about the language, Simon. I assume you speak both languages equally fluently, otherwise it would probably be more obvious if your dreams were in your secondary language (maybe with subtitles!).

My dreams are definitely always in full vivid technicolor with surround sound (I'm surprised they aren't in Supermarionation too). I'm also pretty certain I have had dreams where my other senses (taste, smell and touch) have all been evident. In fact, they are so much like reality, I could even be dreaming this right now :actw:

That's interesting about the language, Simon. I assume you speak both languages equally fluently, otherwise it would probably be more obvious if your dreams were in your secondary language (maybe with subtitles!).
Yes, I speak both fluently. The dream-language is sometimes influenced by the dream location - if I am in a dream which feels like it is in Guatemala or Spain, the dream will usually be in Spanish. If it is a dream that feels like it is in a version of the UK, it will be in English. My dreams can be out-of-this-world surreal though, and English will be default while I'm living in English-language real life - if I am spending extended periods in a Spanish-speaking country, speaking only Spanish, normal dreaming will default to Spanish.

My late father, who was very linguistically talented (he could speak Latin, French, German, Spanish and Italian, plus a smattering of Russian and and Greek), said that dreaming in a language was the thing that proved you'd truly learnt it, always made sense to me.

I was reading this thread last night and currently working away in a hotel….. i had a dream i was at a Boston Celtics Match. I actually realised I was dreaming so was determined to try and remember whether I dreamt in colour or not.

So Boston wear green, and I remember abit of dull green about but for the most part still cannot really remember whether it was in colour or not…. It’s so annoying. And I haven’t had a lucid dream in ages.

I still think I do, but it’s as if I remember dreams in a different way to reality. Any one else like this?

I dream in full technicolor, with sound and sensory stuff too. Taste, touch, etc. Often cinematic, as opposed to first person perspective.

But also, a common theme in my dreams is that people appear that I recognize, but as the interactions carry on, I realize that they are not the people they appear to be, rather they are different people who are trying to communicate something to me by appearing as someone else I also know. So it's as if they are taking on another known persona to emphasize some point that is characterized by the person they appear to be.
I've pretty much always dreamed that's way.

I have had monochromatic dreams but it seems to be nighttime or twilight in the dream when that happens.
I play several stringed instruments, some better than others. One of the most vivid and real seeming dreams I can remember, probably 20 years ago, involved me playing the heck out a fiddle on stage to wild applause. It never came true as Im still a very mediocre fiddle player, lol.
I have dreamed about reading texts and trying to explain what I read to someone, but I never seem to remember wth it said.

I'm not sure if this is more related to this thread or the other dream thread, though I am leaning towards this one.

I play a lot of video games and unsurprisingly they influence my dreams from time to time. These dreams are incredibly vivid and detailed in both colour and sound. On occasion they have also been lucid. The influenced dreams will usually take the form of me using a gun of some kind, or getting into a fist fight. This couldn't be further than the truth in real life, as I'm more likely to avoid confrontation; And I don't own a gun.

If I am using a gun in a dream I can pretty much guarantee that I will experience "Dead Man's Click" and the gun will either not fire or misfire in some way. If I end up in a fist fight, my punches will be so weak I may as well be ticking my foe with a feather. I have spoken about this with a couple of gamer friends and they both have the same experience in dreams.

I was wondering if anyone else on here who games has had the same experience, or is it something that everyone experiences.

One other thing I have noticed in my dreams is that I can't use Ticket machines for trains and buses; They either don't work at all, or give me the wrong ticket.

Back