• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Does Fat Contribute To Cognitive / Memory Decline?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
In case you've thought that modern humans in the wealthier countries are becoming progressively fatter and less mentally acute, newly published research suggests these two outcomes may in fact be connected.
Fat Cells Play a Central Role in Cognitive Decline and Neurodegeneration

Findings published recently reveal new insights into the role of fat cells in cognitive decline and neurodegeneration, according to a study that involves the oxidant amplification loop led by Marshall University scientists.

The research, published in iScience, shows that fat cells control the systemic response to brain function, causing impairment in memory and cognition in mice. The activation of Na,K-ATPase oxidant amplification loop affects the expression of important protein markers in fat cells as well as in the hippocampus, which can worsen brain function and lead to neurodegeneration. Targeting the fat cells to antagonize Na,K-ATPase may improve these outcomes.

“We have aimed to demonstrate that Na,K-ATPase signaling, specifically in adipocytes, play a central role in inducing alterations in specific regions of the brain, most notably in the hippocampus, which is critical to memory and cognitive function,” said senior author Joseph I Shapiro, M.D., professor and dean of the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine. ...

“Western diet induces oxidant stress and adipocyte alteration through Na,K-ATPase signaling which causes systemic inflammation and affects behavioral and brain biochemical changes” ...

Continued research will help determine if these findings can be confirmed in humans, representing a novel and successful therapeutic target in neurodegenerative disorders. ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/fat-cells-play-a-central-role-in-cognitive-decline-and-neurodegeneration/

I have been overweight all my life, but I think I and still thinking OK.

Are not chocolate bars on the top of the food pyramid as required eating ?

Thin or normal size is not in my vocabulary.

Last edited:
Anyone who has read Harry Potter or seen the movies knows that chocolate is an effective treatment for the presence of Dementers.

No argument here with the assertion that a typical Western diet is very unhealthy.

Back