• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have noticed that on many occasions, within 10 seconds of starting an important activity, or a task, or sitting down at the computer to do something I had not been able to do until that point on that day, my phone will ring or I will receive a text message.

I do not receive too many calls or messages in a day.

The timing is uncanny.

As if there are certain points in time that something is destined to happen, but that what actually happens can be diverted by a force of distraction.
As if one wants to be on a particular cosmic path, but is then placed at a cosmic fork in the road.
To either continue the intended task, or to answer the phone at risk of not being able to complete the task in the timeframe you hoped.
And if the caller is stressed, it might disrupt one's own state of mind.

Have anyone noticed this?

Almost. every. single. fricking. time.

And normally within a minute of finally sitting down of an evening with Mr AJ, hot dinner ready to scoff in front of the TV, something good lined up to watch together - bloody phones!

Almost. every. single. fricking. time.

And normally within a minute of finally sitting down of an evening with Mr AJ, hot dinner ready to scoff in front of the TV, something good lined up to watch together - bloody phones!
If i don't want to answer the phone I don't, I work on the theory that if it's important they will ring back later or leave a message.
Before mobiles people managed to go about their daily business with out the world ending.

Yes! Had an Amazon delivery turn up about 8pm last night. Unpacked it,and was just starting to put my pc tower stand together,when my phone went. ''are you busy?'' asks my friend,to which I replied with what I was doing.

90 minutes later,I managed to finish what I was doing!

Just as I was setting out the various components for my first home Covid "Rapid Flow"test, and studying the instructions, with my intention to take the test right away, a friend phoned.

Very few friends phone me without messaging first to ask if it is convenient to talk.
I took the call, but was distracted by wanting to take the test and know the result.

I have no idea. I've not taken it off silent for over ten years.

My grandfather would unerringly ring just as my mother was dishing up dinner. I don't think this was anything psychic, it was sheer bloodymindedness. My mother would repeatedly point out that we ate just after 6 o'clock, but since he had his main meal of the day at lunchtime, he didn't particularly care!

My grandfather would unerringly ring just as my mother was dishing up dinner. I don't think this was anything psychic, it was sheer bloodymindedness. My mother would repeatedly point out that we ate just after 6 o'clock, but since he had his main meal of the day at lunchtime, he didn't particularly care!
Some of my Mum's friends do this.

Interestingly, I always leave it till late to phone my friends and they are often in the process of eating. Who eats at 8 or 9 pm?

Back