• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Double standards anyone?

A

Anonymous

News story here

Now I'm not condoning anyone from Al-Quida or the Taliban but its a little unfair to have these double standards? Surely its worse to plot against the country you come from?
The Ozzies and Brits are being treated the same as the Afghan/Arab Taliban but not the Yanks?
Why do they get all the benefits of a civil court when they would have put far more effort/forethought into joining the Taliban than an Afghan local 'press-ganged' into it?

I'm interested in what they are going to charge any of them with. A few may have indicated some connection with terrorist action and there may be a little doubtful physical evidence but for the majority, what have they done? Fought in defense of the legal (if nauseating) government of a country with which the USA declared war. Trained with an organisation that was legal in the country where they were.

Are they going to be tried by an international tribunal or a regularly constituted court of law? No, they are going to be tried by a military tribunal. I suspect one reason why they are being held at Guantanamo Bay is to do with it's status as an overseas base. Stateside they would have the chance of using the (weak) protection of the US Constitution.

The US members charged have to be tried by Civilian (not civil) courts for this very reason, they had protection under the constitution as soon as they arrived at that base.

How long before it is illegal for a foreign national even to say bad things about the USA? The Constitution only guarantees freedom of expression to American nationals and the US is not signatory to any of the international conventions on human rights (apart from the Geneva convention)

Back