• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Drains

Cherrybomb

Justified & Ancient
Just wondered if anyone else had a fear of drains? It's one of mine and I don't think I've ever met anyone else who has this fear. It's a childhood fear that's stayed with me, but I can't shake it.

I think it's because they are creepy, dark, dirty places, where "things" can lurk. :cross eye Bleh!

I remember being nervous of washing down the open hole myself. But that was when I was very small.

There's a kid with a fear of drains in Stephen King's novel It, with good reason as he gets pulled into one by the baddie.

one thing this has brought to mind ... in england the drain is called the grid ... to an adult 'the grid' is the iron cover on the actual drain opening at the street ... to a kid 'the grid' is like another world ... 'its gone down the grid' ... like a subterranean network ... it is a rather frightening idea

As a child I used to sail things down the gutter into the drain when it rained. Grids on the other hand terrified me especially the ones in the footpath that led to the hotel's cellar.

I think it's pretty reasonable to be scared of drains - maybe a deep-seated thing, linked to the instinct that keeps most of us away from poo.

Of course, Freud would have had something to say about a fear of drains. Gaping dark holes.. fill in own joke :lol:

Having spent the weekend thinking about it, I think its linked to a fear of being trapped. I used to be scared of getting my toe suck in the bath taps, and I still fear swimming pool drains, as I remember a story (most likey a UL) about a girls hair being sucked down the swimming pool drain and her drowning :shock: I'm a really fan of horror, but IT does creep me out. Drains & clowns :eek!!!!:

As a little kid if I heard a recording of someone with an echo I'd think "oh no, they must be in a drain!" lol.

Yep, I bet Freud would have a lot to say on this subject! :lol:

Cherrybomb, my mother DID get her big toe stuck in the school swimming pool drain back in the 1930's, and very scary it was, too!
She used to tell of how she had to struggle to get free, and in so doing, took the skin off.
Nasty!

There's a Chuck Palahniuk short story, 'Guts' in the Haunted book about a young man who sticks his arse against the swimming pool drain and the ensuing unpleasantness.

Don't read if you are in the least bit squeamish, at readings of the story, Chuck mentions several vomitings and at least one fainting.

I love Chuck Palahniuk, but I've not read that book and I don;t think I will be in future :? Thanks for the heads up, Heckler20!

I've been dwelling on this drains thing this past week and I think it's also down to the awful gurgling noise they make. *Shudder* Taps are just as bad! I know what they're really up too :twisted:

CHILDHOOD DRAIN ENCOUNTER: I was aged 4-5 and happily exploring the "old style" drainage ditches that snaked through rural villages in the Japanese countryside. These old drainage ditches were about 3 ft deep and 2.5 ft wide and while typically shallow and slow moving, this one was swollen with fairly rapidly flowing water due to recent rain. In an almost surreal sequence of events, I remember watching a bright green praying mantis riding a leaf, being carried rapidly to the drain which swallowed all the water underground via sinister looking, child-size opening. I've always been keen on insects so ran along side the ditch, looking for a point at which I could fish it out and can distinctly recall seeing it get swept downward into the drain; it was at this point, and I have no idea how, that I ended up in the water. Fortunately, I grabbed the edge of the bank and my Dad was close enough to quickly scoop me out, but time stopped for a moment underwater and I remember clearly seeing every little organism stuck to the stone slabs which lined the ditch, in slow motion.
Sometimes now wonder if the drain lured me in in an attempt to swallow me :lol:

Back