• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dream or not?

Horik

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A friend of mine told me about this experience he had many years ago: He says he woke in the night and decided to go downstairs for a drink of water. None of the lights worked in the bedroom, landing, living room or kitchen but - undeterred - he went and got himself a glass of water.
He then went back upstairs to bed but when he got to his bedroom he saw himself in bed!
This shocked him big time and he woke up instantly, scared out of his wits!

Once did something similar, woke in the middle of the night after falling asleep on a large floor cushion in the middle of my studio flat.

Felt a bit rough and got up to get a drink from the kitchen, as I got to the kitchen door I glanced back and saw that I was still lying asleep on the floor cushion. After a couple of moments of confusion I woke up on the floor cushion again.

I get the 'false awakening' thing where I dream that I've got up and I'm going through my usual morning routine when some weird detail - like the fact the garden seemed to have metamorphosed into the Sahara desert, alerts me to the fact I'm still alseep. I think the experience was just a version of this phenomenon.

I like my dreams and parasomnias, an endless source of entertaiment.

Lol yeah I agree. Must be unnerving at the time though.

horik said:
Lol yeah I agree. Must be unnerving at the time though.

Nah, for me I'm like "oh cool, I'm still sleeping". Then I cuddle up with myself, its nice on those cold winter nights.

horik said:
... Undeterred - he went and got himself a glass of water.
He then went back upstairs to bed but when he got to his bedroom he saw himself in bed!
This shocked him big time and he woke up instantly, scared out of his wits!

Interesting tale! Was there actually a glass of water there when he woke up?

Years ago I was in bed really really thirsty I went to the kitchen and got some water. When I got back to my bedroom door I knew that if I opened the door I would see myself asleep on the bed; the shock woke me up...I have not thought about that for ages..the link seems to be needing a drink..maybe the "soul" gets annoyed with the lazyness of the body and decides to take matters into its own hands..

LittleMy, no he drank the water in the kitchen. Parts of his experience - the lights not working, seeing himself in bed - smack of an OOBE, but him actually having the drink of water in the kitchen brings the whole thing back to probably being a dream. 'Tis strange though, whichever it is.

Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby, wow yeah that's very similar. Lol yeah maybe you've hit the nail on the head.

There was no way I was getting my lazy arse out of bed in the middle of the night no matter how thirsty I was..

Perhaps it was a reaction from his body of thirst and sleep. Too tired to wake up, yet needed water. The solution was to imagine drinking a glass of water in order to shut the brain up until morning.
Did he mention being extraordinarily thirsty when he woke?

Hokum said:
Perhaps it was a reaction from his body of thirst and sleep. Too tired to wake up, yet needed water. The solution was to imagine drinking a glass of water in order to shut the brain up until morning.
Did he mention being extraordinarily thirsty when he woke?

Nope Hokum, if he mentioned it, it was so long ago that I've forgotten :lol:

perhaps this isn't so related but the other day I woke up and my left side was on my right. It really was. I went back to sleep for a minute or two woke up and everything was back in place

milk said:
perhaps this isn't so related but the other day I woke up and my left side was on my right. It really was. I went back to sleep for a minute or two woke up and everything was back in place

That's happened to me - except the whole room was reversed! Door, windows, nightstand etc. were all on the wrong side. I went back to sleep too - what else are you gonna do?

I read a book about astral projection many many moons ago by Sylvan Muldoon and Hereward Carrington (can't believe I can recall that) and thirst was one of their favorite methods for inducing an OOBE. They advocate drinking salty water before you go to bed in order to make yourself really thirsty so that your astral body gets up for a drink!

Interesting Dr. B. Guess we'll never know but I can't discount the OOBE.
Talking of which, I'm reminded of a guy I knew years ago who told me of lying on his bed thinking, when he suddenly saw himself lying on his bed - like he was looking down on himself. Can't remember any other details unfortunately, but these astral projection type happenings bring up lots of interesting questions about the existence (or otherwise) of the soul; or the minds ability to displace its perceptions from the body.

It all sounds immensely scary to me! Then again, a few months ago, I "woke up" to find an old lady in bed with me, and for some reason wasn't scared at all. I somehow felt she was a future version of myself, come to check up on me. Once I realised she wasn't "really" there, she sort of dissolved. A dream that persisted for some moments into my waking state?

Back