• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreaming of babies

glamour_dust

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I have a recurrent set of dreams and I'm wondering whether others experience anything similar. Some background about myself might be useful. I'm 34, a high school teacher, had a good family life and successful education. I'm single, independent, not in a hurry to get married and, curiously I suppose, have never felt the urge to have children at all. I have a good relationship with my family and my 7 year old niece adores me almost as much as I do her. In a way she is like a shared daughter between my sister and I. Lots of love and security all around.
Now come the puzzling dreams. Ever so often, maybe for the past two years (or more), I will dream of a small child. Most times it's a baby of just a few months but sometimes it's a toddler. I will usually be playing with/babysitting the child and would at first find him/her cute and sweet and all that. But then the feeling changes and the child somehow seems unnatural to me. Sometimes I may notice a feature that is somehow "off", like an overlarge head or something funny about the face. Sometimes it's as if the child is more aware than he should be and maybe studying me, though I'm not sure why. Always I get the feeling that he/she is somehow sinister to some degree and I have to be careful to act normally although I want to get away from the baby. Usually others show up in the dream and I'm able to pass the child on, still puzzled over why I feel so unsettled.
Today I had one such dream where the child was my other niece in the states whom I've only seen in pictures. I put her to sleep and then on a bed, but when i lay next to her she seemed to be "pretending" and aware. She tried to roll onto my chest but for some reason I felt she wanted to harm me so I kept pushing her off. She kept up the charade of pretending to sleep and rolling until my brother came and I thankfully left her to his care. She then sort of reverted to an innocent child.
I usually feel disturbed when I awake from these dreams, as though I've missed something important about the children. Maybe I'll go see a shrink and get his opinion of them since they are frequent enough to cause me concern now. In the meantime any comments/shared experiences others may have would be welcome. I'd love to know whether my dream craziness is particularly unique or fairly common :)

Maybe it's just the feeling of a baby relying on you alone makes you uncomfortable in a more profound way than you care to admit in waking life?

I have not a clue I'm afraid... But I used to have recurring dreams.
Always the dream would take place in familiar places of my childhood. usually the back garden of my parents' house.
All around the garden, in the flower beds and the lawn, there would be a great number of small ponds. I would look around at them all, they were all clear with goldfish and greenery in, and the sun shone in them right to the bottom in a beautiful way.
Occasionally I would have to go around filling up the ponds with water, rescuing goldfish that were stranded in drying ponds, but it was never with a feeling of panic or of things going wrong. I just felt happy that the fish were swimming in the clear, sunny water of another pond while I filled up the drying ones. I never found any dead fish.
Since I got pregnant (I am due in less than two weeks now) I have only had my goldfish dream twice. When I was getting very down about not getting pregnant (we had been trying for 18 months or so) I would have the dream at least once a week. It used to cheer me up because it was all so calm and beautiful, but made me feel a bit melancholy at the same time.
I suppose I was dreaming about babies too, in some circumspect fashion :?

kirmildew said:
I have not a clue I'm afraid... But I used to have recurring dreams.
Always the dream would take place in familiar places of my childhood. usually the back garden of my parents' house.
All around the garden, in the flower beds and the lawn, there would be a great number of small ponds. I would look around at them all, they were all clear with goldfish and greenery in, and the sun shone in them right to the bottom in a beautiful way.
Occasionally I would have to go around filling up the ponds with water, rescuing goldfish that were stranded in drying ponds, but it was never with a feeling of panic or of things going wrong. I just felt happy that the fish were swimming in the clear, sunny water of another pond while I filled up the drying ones. I never found any dead fish.
Since I got pregnant (I am due in less than two weeks now) I have only had my goldfish dream twice. When I was getting very down about not getting pregnant (we had been trying for 18 months or so) I would have the dream at least once a week. It used to cheer me up because it was all so calm and beautiful, but made me feel a bit melancholy at the same time.
I suppose I was dreaming about babies too, in some circumspect fashion :?

I think that's just so beautiful, thanks for sharing. The mind works in some mysterious ways. We may never figure it out. :)

I have a friend from a large West Indian family. Whenever she or one of her several sisters had exciting news for their mother, they'd pop along to her house to find maternity dresses already hanging on the washing line.

Being the mother of four adult daughters, she kept these clothes at her house in between babies, and knew when to get them out and launder them because she would dream of fish!

Any time she dreamed of fish in any form, one of her daughters was pregnant, and she was never wrong, even when the daughter lived away and was less closely in touch.

I dunno if this was just her or if it was more a Jamaican thing. Used to make me laugh though.

The dreams you describe are unsettling and disturbing, glamour_dust, and they certainly strike a chord in me as I've had dreams (and RL experiences) in which people have changed, subtly yet menacingly. I remember a dream I had approx. 20 years ago, in which an initially adorable & cute child turned into a small-sized adult. It capered about and repeatedly chanted a verse to me. When I woke up, I jotted it down and it's still stuck in a book somewhere in the garage. It was quite a sophisticated little verse, too, when looked at in daylight. Makes you wonder.

I would, like you, be wondering what the unsettling baby-dreams signify, particularly as you've had several without any apparent cause.

My first thought was: ' oh -- they're like those monster-baby movies that were popular several years ago'. I've never watched any; the cover of the videos was enough to put me off. Maybe they weren't sinister baby movies, but sinister doll movies, come to think of it. Wasn't one of them entitled: 'Chucky'? In any case, they still have them at our local DVD-hire place, with a little doll or baby on the cover, brandishing a carving knife with a sickening grin and I find it disturbing in the way others dislike clowns, I guess.

Do you lucid dream at all? If so, or if sufficiently motivated, you might be able to question the baby in question, next time you're in one of those dreams. If possible, you might ask it: 'Who are you - what do you represent - what do you want - what are you trying to tell me? '. It's claimed the Native Americans and other indigenous people regard dreams/nightmares as valuable opportunities/ gifts from wherever-whomever. They apparently instruct their people to confront the frightening dream presence; even to re-enter the dream in order to do so in order to overcome, move forward, establish mastery of the self and spiritual challenges, etc. ... and to grow and learn, spiritually.

A western psychiatrist might suggest that the morphing-babies in your dreams are representations of the child within yourself, or something similar; they might suggest that your inner-child is telling you that you have nurtured the child in yourself despite the fact that child long ago ceased to need or want your protection and is now demanding -- insisting upon-- recognition, equal time and Freedom to Be .... OR ELSE. Or something along those lines. Who knows.

Or, it may be suggested to you that the dreams result from society's expectations which in turn you've absorbed, consciously or otherwise, throughout life and particularly during the past decade as many of your peers, possibly, have married and become parents.

The pressure to marry and have children by a certain age is probably not as strong at personal level as it was in previous eras, but still exists within tv commercials and ads in magazines for products such as life-insurance, mortgage brokers, child analgesics, diet breakfast foods, etc. Marriage and parenthood entail expense and consumerism is encouraged constantly in order big business can continue to expand its profits. The message filters through, even if you're not always aware of it and the message you may be receiving (and to which, on certain levels you may be sensitive) is one of: ' people your age are married with babies'. It may even be that the message you are hearing (courtesy of Big Business) is one of: 'people your age should be married with babies'.

Therefore, your subconscious may be presenting you with dream-babies whilst consciously, you are happy as you are, thank you. If at some level you agree with society's and big-businesses' insistence that 'people your age should be married with babies', then this may be causing conflict between what you consciously want for your life at this period in time and what you believe, deep down you should be wanting and doing: i.e., having babies. This conflict may have created your monster-morphing-baby dreams; the morphing-babies being a form of rebuke; a torment; an accuser; a trickster .... basically a construct, courtesy of dollar-hungry Big Business and it's advertising / opinion-forming agendas.

Way Back When, I was the only girl in my class who didn't include marrying and having children as a major future goal. I quite happily moved through the years single and childless while all around me married and had babies. It just never occurred to me to do likewise; to me, all that was for other people, in the way it never occurred to me to learn to drive. I was perfectly content being an auntie. In time, I did marry and have children (and learned to drive). My children are now the way I was and like me, they're quizzed as to why they aren't married with children. The answer of course, is that they're perfectly happy as they are, right now. They don't feel they're missing-out on anything. At the same time of course, they're absorbing the constant bombardment of advertising and less than subtle comments from others. It doesn't bother them, but it would be unrealistic to claim a certain amount of it doesn't stick in their mind to a degree and gnaw away on some level. Perhaps those who're described by colleagues and family etc. as 'co-operative' may be prone (subconsciously) to worrying that they are 'letting others down' by failing to conform to society's/big business' demands, re: marriage and children?

It may be that your morphing-babies represent angry Big Business and Society who are getting-in-your-face while your defences are down (asleep)?

To rid yourself of your nasty-babies, maybe all it will take is for you to consciously decide, prior to going to sleep each night, that you will confront any creepy baby, face-on, the moment it appears, to wrest the truth out of it ... AND to feed it a huge bowl of yummy-yummy mashed brocolli and turnips ! Lol. A case of 'Where are you going, baby? Don't run away .... Come back and eat up your veggies ! '

This really has nothing do with Mr. Dust's dream, but the thread triggers the following memory:

When I was around 19 or 20 I had a co-worker who was in her late 30s - short, dark, almost gnomish and genuinely unattractive. I suspect she was a virgin and as far as I know she'd never even dated.

She used to ask me, quite regularly, to interpret her "re-occuring dream" - that she pushed a grocery cart through a supermarket, but all the shelves contained nothing but very young deers, alive, and wrapped in blue or pink blankets. She'd put one or two into the cart, but the deer would run away before she got to the check-out cashier.

And at that age and incredibly shy I always had to lie and tell her that, no, I didn't have any idea what the dream meant.

God forgive me.

Any god worth knowing would reply: ' No -- God blesses you, OldTimeRadio, for the kind, meek, gentle and sensitive are going to inherit the earth, once I've rid it of the Bonobos'. :)

Hope the virgin gnome lived happily ever after, once her low-key biological clock gave up and sank. After all, it makes sense that you don't miss what you don't know.

There must be (and must always have been) those who -- for lack of opportunity --- never became entangled in personal relationships and lived their lives free of the problems (and yes, sometimes joys) introduced when we surrender our independence. There was a song years ago that went: ' Got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now ~~~~ '.

We get along just fine, on our own, until we become embroiled in that first love-affair. Regardless of whether that relationship ends or endures; we're never the same afterwards. Having tasted romance, we're hooked, usually --- similar to drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, chocolate, internet. Having once relinquished (to another and to a 'relationship') that sense of completeness of self, we feel 'in half', 'missing a piece', lonely and dissatisfied with our own company when we're not involved with someone ... and so move into one relationship or hoped-for relationship after another, just for the sake of it in many instances, because we now no longer feel alive (or valid) unless we're attached to someone else.

I don't imagine I'm the only person who's asked themselves: What if ...?' What if I'd never Fallen in Love' ... what if I'd instead moved through life as Myself; the Myself I was for the first (say) 18 years of my life? What if I'd never joined the hand-holders, the joined-at-the-hip crew-even-when-they're-both-secretly-always-on-the-lookout-for-Someone Better ? Most, at some point in their lives, surely ask themselves: What if I'd kept myself within the boundaries of Self, instead of allowing those boundaries to dissolve and merge with one, then several others -- thus losing valuable bits of Me at the same time I absorbed bits of Them (which doesn't always turn out to the pleasure it seemed at the outset).

And most must ask themselves, at some point in time: What would i have become and done and achieved, had I remained On My Own; in which ways would I have grown and learned, had I not spent most of my energy between 16 and 60 in relationships; in gritting my teeth and smiling on the outside; in putting up with a person (several in succession & their friends and families) whom I didn't really like all that much but learned to tolerate; in paying mortgages on properties in order those relationships and the children they produced, would continue in relative comfort; in remaining in jobs I hated in order I could pay the mortgage etc. ???

~~ Got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now ~~~~

People claim: ' Oh, that's stupid. We're meant to fall in love and get married and have children; that's only natural; anyone who doesn't is weird and will end up lonely in their old age'. But most end up alone in their old age anyway and more than a few wish they could be alone instead of being crowded in by children and grandchildren and the inevitable problems and resultant, endless demands on their time and resources. ' Get to buggery !' they'd like to cry out, ' Leave me alone and give me time to think ! '. For they want to work it out; work out where they took that turning which led them away from themselves and what they had once wanted ... and into the maze of Love and Despair and Compromise and sometimes Hate and Loathing ----- and finally, Resignation. ' What led me, took me, from that bright, idealistic, energetic, independent young boy/girl I was and brought me to this?' they ask. And the answer is; romantic relationships; lurve and all it entails.

I used to work in an area that put me in daily contact with senior-aged people and I discovered that what my mother had told me was true, by and large; that no-one wants an old woman unless she has money -- yet old men (no matter how decrepit, broke and unlikeable) usually manage to find some old-dear willing to look after them. She also claimed that the happiest, most contented people -- all through life -- are single, childless women; spinsters as they used to be called. I daily spoke with many of the latter and they certainly had their wits about them in a way unmatched by those (now grandmothers and great-grandmothers) who'd married and had families. The unmarried elderly women were serene, intelligent and independent of mind. They had outlived by ten or more years in many instances, their married sisters and friends. They didn't seem to believe they had 'missed' a thing. They had been Themselves, all through life, instead of being fragmented into dozens of roles for the sake of others.

I've known several batchelors well, too, and they also seem to have a far greater sense of togetherness, independence, intelligence, energy (mental and physical), composure and contentment; they have a certain crispness; their edges are defined and whole; they are Themselves; complete within themselves. The batchelor might decide to travel up the Sepik on his holidays -- the married father instead has to re-tile the bathroom in between taking children he doesn't particularly like (if he's honest) to Kid-World.

' You're selfish ! ' my heavily pregnant sister screamed at me at the same time her two toddlers pulled each other's hair on the other side of the room. Selfish, she meant, for being single and childless at age 27, when the truth was, she was jealous of my status and would have given everything she possessed -- yes, even the supposed fulfilment and pleasure of parenthood -- to be in my shoes. Failing that, she wanted to coerce and emotionally blackmail me into hers. Misery loves company.

In between typing this, I've scrubbed one bathroom and washed and hung a large load of family washing ... and there's another bathroom and load of washing waiting to be done. Fulfilling? Sure, washing other people's underwear, sheets, towels, etc. and scrubbing other people's rancid body fat (known politely as 'soap scum') from glass and tiles might be fulfilling in a sense if it were the only load of washing and bathrooms I would ever do; a Masterpiece --- my Domestic Cistine Chapel But it's probably the ten-thousandth time I've done it. Would Leonardo have re-painted that ceiling over and over again with the same divine inspiration and suffering for his art? Not bloody likely -- he would have tossed himself from the scaffold and happily smashed himself to bits on the stone floor below, after the first half dozen times.

Weeds reproduce, as do ants and mushrooms and piggies and grass and body-lice. There's nothing creative about it; it's just reproduction. Ninety plus percent of the world's population is walking around today because at some point earlier, two other people's groins got sufficiently close enough to each other --- no matter how briefly, unenthusiastically, drunkenly, tiredly, lovingly or lovelessly --- for a dob of sperm to find the mark. Most of those couples were not thrilled -- a few weeks later -- to discover their humdrum (and in many cases forgotten) moments of physical closeness had fated one or both of them to spend the next twenty or so years responsible for the wellbeing of another person/child. In many instances, this knowledge propels the couple into marriage, or prevents them now from leaving the one they're in. Twenty or so years later, their child will likely be in his/her parents' position, and so on.

Ego and stubborness in many instances, results in parents' claiming they found/find 'fulfilment' in parenthood and marriage. Making-the-best-of and putting-a-good-face on things is what it really comes down to in most cases; after all, most people aren't even going to do much of a job painting the living-room walls, let alone a Cistine Chapel. Their lives are basically pointless and of no value to them or anyone else anyway, apart from retailers, so in such a wasteland(which in fact is teeming with other opportunities for those brave enough to grasp them) parenthood at least provides them a sense of structure, purpose and pride. 'How's your Johnny these days?'. 'Oh, he's doing well. He's married now you know and has three children.' For some reason, it's regarded as an achievement, in the same way people imagine they've established themselves as worthwhile and validated their existence via the fact they're grandparents, when all it means is; their children have ground groins and reproduced, just as they did themselves when younger (and as many generations of the family pets have also done). Big Business and organised religion encourages this sort of thinking. It means new consumers will replace those who've died and provides fresh cannon-fodder for the next War for Profit.

Anyway, blessed be the virgin-gnomes. They live without imposing life on others. They live within their own life. They stand and fall as they are, instead of using others as an excuse for their failures or blaming others for failing to live up to their own expectations. They live as they began and leave life as they entered it. It has a purity and honesty about it; a lightness & integrity. No wonder it was the goal of the spiritually enlightened -- later claimed as the ideal state of being by organised religions. Notice how the zionists have endeavoured to tarnish the image of Christ by insisting he was married with a family; therefore 'ordinary', 'less', less worthy of trust, adoration, respect ?

Oh well, off to hang out more washing.

Wow these responses are great. What gncxx and again6 wrote really made sense and got me thinking. Despite being generally quite happy with my independence I'm definitely not immune to society's expectations of a woman my age. Even though I know better I sometimes cannot help feeling inadequate when I meet old acquaintances and the inevitable "So, are you married? Oh, what are you waiting for then?" comments arise. And though I have no overwhelming urge to have children I sometimes feel a tad guilty about not giving my parents a grandchild myself. So put that all together on a subconscious level and my dreams would make sense, although somehow I never made these connections before. Again6 I like the idea that I should confront the babies in my dreams. I've never lucid dreamt before but I will certainly try ...cheeky little beasties disturbing my sleep. I think I'd be relieved if this turns out to be the reason behind my dreams, they were so eerie and left me feeling so unsettled that I was afraid of a more morbid explanation of them. Subconscious biological clock stirrings I can handle - so then maybe my dreams will stop or become more pleasant. I certainly hope so :?

again6 said:
Hope the virgin gnome lived happily ever after, once her low-key biological clock gave up and sank. After all, it makes sense that you don't miss what you don't know.

Thank you very much for those kind words.

But the trouble is that desire-clocks usually run a lot longer than biological-clocks.

OldTimeRadio said:
But the trouble is that desire-clocks usually run a lot longer than biological-clocks.
Ain't that the truth! :(

This is interesting, glamour_dust. I'm not a "baby" person at all but I've had (fairly regular) dreams of being handed a baby or of having one as a companion - usually a laughing littlle boy. These dreams feel so "real", too - the kind that seem to stay with you when you wake up. I personally interpret mine from an esoteric/psychoanalytical standpoint - to me, the dream babies are new developments of my own personality and/or ideas coming to life/fruition. Maybe some ideas and plans you have are not quite right for you and you are only acknowledging this at a subconscious level, so the babies seem a bit "off" or threatening. They may also represent aspects of your own personailty with which you are dealing. I know the little boy in my dreams was largely "me" as a female-to-male transgendered person and when i took this on board and came out about it he disappeared - because I'd integrated him? Maybe I'm waxing a bit Jungian here but there's nowt wrong with that on this board. :D

After reading my dream-theory book I go with the simplest explanation, which is that people in dreams are versions of ourselves. Buildings and animals are also versions of ourselves, as are weather phenomena, geological distrubances such as volcanoes and earthquakes, vehicles, landscapes, astronomical bodies... you get the idea. ;)

So I have no trouble interpreting my dreams as I believe they symbolise the themes of my unconscious mind.

I have very rarely dreamed about babies. However, when pregnant with my first child, I often dreamed of kicking a man, a stranger to me, in the 'nads. No prizes for guessing what THAT meant.
;)

I remember my friend telling me of a horrid dream she had when her boy was a baby.
She was sitting with her partner, with the baby playing on the floor. She was watching him fondly, as mothers do, when he looked her straight in the eye and said in an adult voice,
"I'm going to kill you."
Then he carried on playing, just as babylike as before. Her partner saw and heard nothing and wouldn't believe her.
She woke up terrified and crying hysterically, she said it was the worst dream she'd ever had!

I have never had kids, and don't plan on it any time soon. I am not clucky. I don't go ga-ga over babies, although I certainly don't dislike them either.

But for some reason, for about the last 12 years, I sporadically dream that I am giving birth to kittens. Sometimes they start out as babies and then turn into kittens, and other times they just stay kittens. Occasionally the kittens are multi-coloured.

I don't get it.

I once dreamed that I made passionate love to a very old Royal standard manual typewriter.

OldTimeRadio said:
I once dreamed that I made passionate love to a very old Royal standard manual typewriter.

!!!

I was DRINKING TEA!

What a wonderful dream. I am surprised you wanted to share that with us! :p

mossy_sloth said:
I am surprised you wanted to share that with us! :p

Didn't mean to be offensive, if I was. I had the dream during a period when I was successfully marketing a decent amount of Fortean and Paranormal articles to American newsstand publications.

Therefore I didn't think it was completely off-topic here on a thread concerning dream-babies.

P. S. Sorry about the tea.

Sincerely,

Old Time Radio (George Wagner in Cincinnati, Ohio USA)

What do you get if you cross an old-time radio with a very old Royal standard manual typewriter?

Answers on a postcard, please! :D

OldTimeRadio said:
Didn't mean to be offensive, if I was. I had the dream during a period when I was successfully marketing a decent amount of Fortean and Paranormal articles to American newsstand publications.

Therefore I didn't think it was completely off-topic here on a thread concerning dream-babies.

P. S. Sorry about the tea.

Sincerely,

Old Time Radio (George Wagner in Cincinnati, Ohio USA)

Not offensive at all! But very amusing.

OldTimeRadio said:

That's less of a typewriter and more of a typeWRONGer.

Back