• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreams (You've Dreamed; Compendium)

I strongly believe that we remember the important bits, to help us in our lives. ;)

One night recently I dreamed that someone had an accident while diving - I saw them dive into a swimming pool and get into difficuculty in the water.
I woke up thinking, must warn my kids about how dangerous diving is! Which is silly.

However, on reflection, it wasn't diving but driving which was worrying me. My son drives his car every day in California and my daughter is about start driving lessons in a busy city.

My subconscious was subtly expressing my normal maternal concerns. Quite cool really. 8)

My most vivid dream recently has been about Cheryl Cole, which is (a) embarrassing considering what happened in it (don't worry, everyone, it wasn't a sexual dream) and (b) weird because I think she has one of those faces which is hard to remember, so I don't know how I knew it was her.

Unless it was someone else entirely...

*folds Cheryl Cole mask, replaces it in box*

I'm new to this board, so I hope I'm posting this in the right thread...

Having suffered bouts of sleep paralysis since I was a child, I eventually learned to use it as a jumping off place for lucid dreams and what seem to be out-of body-experiences. And certainly I've overheard conversations and gone places in that state that turned out to be eerily accurate (and in other cases totally off-base!) But, the problem is, I now have such unusual symbols turning up in my dreams that they just aren't interpretable by any of the usual methods. Forget dream dictionaries or personal interpretations. Even psychologists have drawn a blank. Does anyone know if there's a method for untangling dreams that seem to be of a personal "mystical" nature?

Yup. Accept them for what they are. They're personal to you so nobody except you can know what they mean.

One theory of dreams is that we only dream about ourselves, so that all the symbols and situations in the dream represent oneself. That might make sense to you.

Or just accept that dreams might be an unscrambling of the day's events and worries, making no sense at all. :lol:

Yes, that's true, and it works well for my so-called "normal" dreams. but if I feel I'm in an altered mental state at all, the symbols become puzzling. The most common example is: if I'm in a carpeted area, I'll see tiny flames, usually blue, poking through the carpet. (not burning it though) Sometimes the "flames" are spiral shaped. I don't have any strong feelings about this, it makes no obvious sense, it seems to have no personal meaning, yet the flames are always there.

I'm always curious about it when I wake up, though. it feels "otherworldly" somehow.

Last Saturday I was again in my "ideal landscape". It is a mix of an North-Italian hillside and the wilder parts of the Vltava river near Prague. It seems that I return here regularly in my dreams and I like it very much. There are linden trees, a parking lot and an old church. Down below is the river and a railway along it, with many deserted buildings. I could almost draw a map.

Do you have these places that you often return to in your dreams?

Last night I dreamt...

That I was at work, standing at my desk looking out the window and I could see a humanoid like creature made up of what I can only describe as 'garden refuse'. Leaves and branches as muscles and skin. Its movement was strange and it sort of curled up catlike in a bus stop shelter (which does not exist in reality). I grabbed my boss who was standing right next to me and pointed it out with excitement. I knew I was experiencing seeing something very special.

IF only it weren't a dream?

That being said, last night I fell asleep reading Mothman Prophecies, so obviously reading people's sightings and keel's written accounts probably somehow influenced what I dreamt that night.

I had a UFO dream last night.

I saw the UFO from a window of my house. It looked like an aircraft fuselage (no wings) flying sideways towards me, relatively low, and it was making buzzing and sparking noises.

It passed over the house, and I went into the back room to try to see it again. At first I tried to find my camera, but couldn't remember where I'd left it, so went to the window to watch. I did see the UFO again, but only briefly before I lost it.

And that's it!

The house was as much a dream as the UFO, as it doesn't resemble the flat where I actually live.

I've had UFO dreams before, but not for many years. They were usually of strange contraptions in the sky, but silent.

After reading about astral projection and lucid dreams last night, I hilariously tried to give it a go, but sadly to no avail.

Instead of doing either I just fell asleep normally :lol:

Though I've never been able to lucid dream since I was incredibly young, and even then it was just by random.

I had a very disturbing dream two nights ago (I credit the flu bug I was overcoming and the related decongestant I was taking)

If you're eating, you may not want to read this!!

I warned you!

In the dream, which was otherwise unremarkable, I felt a sharp pain in my cheek. I went to the bathroom, and I had a huge boil, like a golf ball stuck under my skin, right on my face. I began to squeeze it, like one would pop a zit, and eventually a pink substance that resembled play dough, or spam, began to come through the pores and collect on the bathroom counter. I kept squeezing, and the top of the "zit" burst open, and a large lump of bloody icky spam like substance came out which landed on the counter as well. Then my face returned to normal, as if nothing had happened.
For some reason the dream-me began poking at the lump that had come out of my face, at which small white arrow-shaped worms began wiggling out.

Then, thankfully, my alarm woke me up. I didn't eat breakfast.

Last night I started to laugh in my sleep, which woke BF up. The dream wasn't that funny but I guess you had to be there! :D . I can remember laughing a bit, but I guess it must of been loud to wake him up.

Some very wet and wild weather here now, which in part may have triggered odd disturbing dreams last night. The place I was living in (and, confusingly, there were two separate places) was flooded by a couple of feet of water.

Prior to this, I had a lot of tidying up to do. There were cardboard boxes all over the place, and a Chrstmas Tree, complete with lights, that I hadn't taken down yet! In the dream I joked that if I hadn't taken it down by midsummer, I might as well leave it up for next Christmas! (Now this is an especially odd dream element, since in real life I've not had a Xmas tree for about 25 years..!)

Another bizarre element was some vicious-looking pigs running at me, threatening to bite me or push me into a swimming pool. I tried to appear unafraid, but frankly there was nothing else I could do. (I've never dreamed of pigs before, so perhaps this was triggered by a mention of swine flu on the radio..?)

Other odd things included people I haven't seen for years...

I was quite relieved to wake up, get up, and find everything still relatively normal!

Since posting the above, I've read a crime novel where the murder victim was fed to pigs..!

But last night I had a very odd dream - I had both male and female genitalia, positioned so that they could - er - fit together as nature intended... :shock:

...and, TBH, it felt jolly nice! :D :oops:

Last night I dreamed my goldfish died, so I took it out of its bowl and.. just to make sure it was dead, I threw it on the floor - which was actually a pavement for some reason - something I wouldn't do normally.
Anyway, the goldfish started to grow and it became a man, who started rubbing his head, asking me what I'd done that for. I asked him his name, and he said it was Colin, and just to cap off a bizarre and fairytale-like dream, we fell in love. If it had been a film on tv I would have turned over
Absolutely mental, and no, my goldfish isn't even named Colin.

T'other night I dreamed that I found a bag of apples at my house. They were lovely shiny green and red ones and I was delighted.

A mate offered to interpret the dream for me. Very symbolic, apples, she said. Noooo, I said, please don't go on about sex or unrequited lust! :lol:

Au contraire, says she, apples represent knowledge and learning.
Sounds good to me. 8)

To me dreaming of injured or dying fish denotes bad news. I dreamt of trying to keep a fish alive using any kind of method I could think of - a couple of days later my dad rang to tell me that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. A friend of mine told me that she once dreamt that two fish were flying around her kitchen and she tried to catch them both resulting in one being killed and the other losing its tail. A couple of days later a neighbour of hers was killed in a house fire and shortly after that my friend's mother became very ill.

About a week ago I had a dream that my daughter and myself were looking out of a glassless window and outside were loads of brightly coloured birds. I'm racking my brain to understand what it means.

I had an incredibly boring dream last night. Is it unusual to be bored in your dreams? I even mentioned how tedious it was to one of the characters in it and he was forced to agree with me.

Yesterday I fell asleep while listening to Haruki Murakami's book "The elephant vanishes". I must have slept for at least three hours with the audiobook quietly running in my headphones. I awoke from a lot of dreams and one was situated in Japan and had a very Murakami-like "look and feel". It was stunning. Unfortunately I didn't write it down, because I was sure I couldn't forget that one ...

Now I'm re listening the part that ran while I slept in the hope that I will remember it when I hear it. But I doubt it will work.

In this same night I revisited a place I dreamt about years ago. Then it was an almost abandoned but huge factory. Now they were demolishing it and I was sorry I hadn't revisited it sooner.

First Post.

When i was about 11 years old i had a dream which involved all my classmates of the time in a jungle-like landscape making trails and finding our way through a dense, alien (to me) and hostile jungle. On that journey several of my classmates died to both diseases as well as violence by agents of a third party which i did not recognize. In the dream there was a lot of forced marching, punishing / oppressive behaviour by a police/overseer-like force and genuine attempts of espcape by the "captured people" which were me and my classmates as well as faceless people in my dream.

The next day in history class the subject was the (death) Burma - Siam railway created by Commonwealth Dutch and American PoW. My teacher explained how a certain percentage of the prisoners had died. She said exactly how many of our class that would be if that would've been us... which was exactly the amount of people that had died in my dream the night before in a distant jungle.

:shock:

Edgar Cayce'd have an explanation for that - group reincarnation. 8)

When I recall a strange dream, I often assume it was triggered by something heard on the radio, as I normally leave the radio on all night.

But this morning, with the Today programme on, I was half-asleep and dreaming about cats and kittens (something I don't remember doing before). But at the same time I was aware of the radio (news about Afghanistan) and I'm pretty sure cats weren't mentioned at all.

I've not had any close contact with cats for decades, apart from seeing a couple of local ones wandering around the gardens here. The only other trigger for the dream I can think of was a stuffed cat in a book I recently read!

Last night I dreamed about mobile phones, specifically getting a new one but losing the number I've used for the last 10 years and it causing me all sorts of bother telling everyone and altering the contact details on our company website.

I've just had a call from my phone company arranging to upgrade the one I've had for 2 years.

If I hadn't've dreamed that last night I wouldn't have taken the call - I get lots of rival companies sharking me to switch models or buy a different plan, but I've always been happy with my provider and I really don't care about gadgets. I want a phone for calls and texts and am not bothered about the latest thing.

I must have been mulling the fact that I must be due for an upgrade over in my sleep, and coincidentally the my own company called me this morning. Weird.

Last night I had a dream that I was being forced to correct all the spelling mistakes on the Internet Movie Database, in the information bits, the comments, even the message boards. I remember thinking "This is going to take ages!"

Dreams about the internet, very 21st century.

A series of very odd dreams last night...

I was hitch-hiking from (maybe) East Anglia towards London, and was picked up by an Asian man driving a very large and unusual truck. (In RL I haven't been hitch-hiking since the 60s, and only in the southwest, and I never got a ride in a truck...)

I was in a field or allotment and I saw what I thought was the severed front end of a black snake. But then it moved, and I realised it was a snake emerging from the earth! It had two small arms, making it rather eel-like, and it chased me round the field...

Weirdest of all, I was with a group of people on a cliff-top at night, looking at a group of nearby offshore islands. There was some sort of geological upheaval going on, and one of the islands was drifting towards the others. But then it stopped, like a ship running aground, but part of its interior continued on, spilling out like a landslip. Strangely there was no sound or vibration, although there were billowing clouds around, maybe of smoke. We were all amazed to be witnessing this spectacle... (Geographically the location resembled SW Wales near Skomer, which has been mentioned on FTMB recently, but later some Cornish boats came on the scene, which I thought was rather dangerous...!)

I was going to a swimming pool, but somehow I never actually got to the water. (In RL I've not been to a pool for over twenty years, but someone round here has recently been campaigning for a pool to be built in town, so the newspaper story may have triggered that dream.)

And that's only the stuff I can remember! All in all, a busy night!

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling depressed after a dream that was like being trapped in a room with a TV endlessly repeating the same episode of a tedious series about unpleasant people. However, the premise was interesting, as we were following a college student whose split personalities manifested physically and proceeded about their lives simultaneously. The personae budded off and were reabsorbed semivoluntarily, almost like manifesting role-playing characters, except none of them did anything worthwhile. At one point a clinically depressed persona was trying to figure out a way to uninvent herself.

So I woke up, went to sleep again, and proceeded to some more pleasant dreams about gardening, being bribed to cover up a gardening crime, large hollow carrots, house renovation, and discovering a large airing cupboard. Much better.

WabbitHunter said:
To me dreaming of injured or dying fish denotes bad news. I dreamt of trying to keep a fish alive using any kind of method I could think of - a couple of days later my dad rang to tell me that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. A friend of mine told me that she once dreamt that two fish were flying around her kitchen and she tried to catch them both resulting in one being killed and the other losing its tail. A couple of days later a neighbour of hers was killed in a house fire and shortly after that my friend's mother became very ill.

About a week ago I had a dream that my daughter and myself were looking out of a glassless window and outside were loads of brightly coloured birds. I'm racking my brain to understand what it means.

There is a post I made some years ago about my fish dreams. I frequently used to dream about bizarre looking fish, or them being in odd places. On those occasions it was the prelude (or a warning) about some bad event affecting me. However, I have to say it has been some years since it happened, and long may that continue

Back