• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Drummers Are Natural Intellectuals'

The artists web site has some interesting stuff displayed, all are nothing like this commission.

Personally, coming from the land of Moore and Hepworth, it's not as intriguing or flowing as I'm used to seeing around and about. Maybe because I grew up looking at those two, I have a view that just can't see much to be positive about.

To be fair, municipal art is a tough remit, and there's some shockers here in Leeds (IMHO)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/imag ... 50x180.jpg

Edited as i hit submit instead of preview

Exhibit A:

[Video]

This Week's Andrew Neil drums a goodnight to viewers
18 July 2014 Last updated at 03:05 BST

This Week's Andrew Neil drums viewers into the summer recess after he had Ginger Baker as a guest on his late-night programme.
He might be more at home with getting guests to make some political noise, but the This Week presenter rounded off the last edition before the summer recess by showing off his own skills with the drum sticks,

As he bade farewell to viewers for a few weeks, he said: "What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians? A drummer! Nighty night - don't let the man who taught Ginger everything he knows bite."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28361283

Well, I don't think Ginger or Ringo, et al, have much to fear! ;)

It may not be clear that drummers are the "brains" in their respective ensembles, but research demonstrates their brains develop or adapt in certain specific ways.
How playing the drums changes the brain

Many years of playing the instrument leave clear traces

People who play drums regularly for years differ from unmusical people in their brain structure and function. The results of a study by researchers from Bochum suggest that they have fewer, but thicker fibres in the main connecting tract between the two halves of the brain. In addition, their motor brain areas are organised more efficiently. This is the conclusion drawn by a research team headed by Dr. Lara Schlaffke from the Bergmannsheil university clinic in Bochum and Associate Professor Dr. Sebastian Ocklenburg from the biopsychology research unit at Ruhr-Universität Bochum following a study with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The results have been published in the journal Brain and Behavior, online on 4 December 2019. ...

"It has long been understood that playing a musical instrument can change the brain via neuroplastic processes," says Sarah Friedrich, who wrote her bachelor's thesis on this project. "But no one had previously looked specifically into drummers," she adds. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191209110513.htm

PUBLISHED PAPER: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/brb3.1490

It may not be clear that drummers are the "brains" in their respective ensembles, but research demonstrates their brains develop or adapt in certain specific ways.
Thank you for that!

Mentioned elsewhere that my daughter is a drummer and will be in hysterical raptures when I show her this!

Just graduated from University - a BA in Music with Honors of the First Class - Donna successfully auditioned for the Edinburgh based, Harbringers Drum Crew.

They will be performing at Edinburgh's hogmanay festivities and also leading a procession beforehand.

She might be on TV!

Time for another drummer joke.

How do you know the drum riser is level?

Drool comes out both sides of his mouth

fantastic!!!!!!!!
Donna has sent this update...

Screenshot_20191212_193223_compress21.jpg

Frank Zappa once observed that, in his expertise, drummers tended to all have freakishly good memories. His theory was that this helped them memorise long passages of music, although surely that would apply to any musician.

A mate of mine used to play in a lot of local bands. After he turned down the chance to join one I asked why and he replied "When you realise the most sensible person in the band is the drummer you know it's a bad sign."

Tommy Lee? Mind you, he got to have sex with Pamela Anderson, so he's not that daft.

Back