• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

DVD Bargains & Newspaper Freebies

I popped into Poundland at the weekend (a strangely addictive pleasure, I've found), and picked up one of those four-episode X-Files DVDs. I'm guessing it's from one of those weekly or monthly partworks which, if you subscribe for three years, builds into a handsome, but huge and unwieldy, not to mention bloody expensive collection. You know - first part £1.99, second £3.99, all others £5.99.

Anyway, this one was labelled "21" and consists of episodes 9-12 of season 4 - "Terma" (part 2 of "Tunguska"), "Paper Hearts", "El Mundo Gira" and "Leonard Betts". I watched the last three last night, and they're pretty decent, and certainly worth £1 of any fan's money. I just need to keep my eye out in future visits for parts 1-20 and 22 onwards!

Poundland are also doing "Tom Baker's Sci-Fi Quiz" on interactive DVD, which is probably rubbish, but I likeTom, so I'll get it anyway next time I'm there.

Today's Sunday Times has a DVD of the 'Shifting Sands' episode of the Michael Palin series Pole to Pole.

Also, you've heard of straight-to-DVD films? Well, the Mail On Sunday has the world's first straight-to-giveaway (or straight-to-bin) film, 'starring' football ponce Vinnie Jones...

Peripart said:
Poundland are also doing "Tom Baker's Sci-Fi Quiz" on interactive DVD, which is probably rubbish.

Yeah - it is rubbish. I played that with a friend recently. For starters it wouldn't even play on my DVD player - though happily my friend happened to have brought his Playstation 2 over and it worked fine on that. And secondly it was very short and - for the most part - very easy.

I assure you there are more entertaining ways of spending a pound. Like buying the Daily Mail, for example. Or drinking cheap bleach.

Edit: the 7 track Best of Iggy Pop CD included in today's Star is all live tracks, which is a little disappointing. Although the sound quality is fairly good, it all seems a bit pub rock. Ah well. And they've added a few bonus tracks by bands I've never heard of.

'Greatest Hits' CDs given away with newspapers are worth taking a chance on if you like the artist, as they're often ripped from the soundtrack of commercially available DVDS - The Star recently gave away a Ramones CD which turned out to be from their 1996 farewell gig :D

No sign of the X-Files discs at my local Poundland, but they did have a big bin filled with CSI and Stargate SG1 discs.

They also have all of the early 80's-early 90's Laserdisc Arcade classic (non-)action game 'Dragon's Lair' series as 'Interactive' DVD Games -

Dragon's Lair
Dragon's Lair II : Time Warp
Dragon's Lair III : Curse of Mordread

Have to be worth a quid each just to chuck into the old collection, but sadly, no, I've seen them there tons of times over the past few months and still ahven't bothered picking them up :(

I previously said:
gordonrutter said:
I previously said:
Today's Daily Mail comes with the Alone: May 1940 - May 1941 episode of The World at War.

Remaining episodes are also free over the coming weeks via a voucher redemable at W H Smiths.

They're now giving away not just the 14 episodes they originally offered, but the whole 26-part series - good job I've been collecting the tokens... ;)

Just when I'd given up hope of ever receiving them, all 26 DVDs popped through my letterbox this morning (only waiting for the presentation box now...) :D

WhistlingJack said:
I previously said:
gordonrutter said:
I previously said:
Today's Daily Mail comes with the Alone: May 1940 - May 1941 episode of The World at War.

Remaining episodes are also free over the coming weeks via a voucher redemable at W H Smiths.

They're now giving away not just the 14 episodes they originally offered, but the whole 26-part series - good job I've been collecting the tokens... ;)

Just when I'd given up hope of ever receiving them, all 26 DVDs popped through my letterbox this morning (only waiting for the presentation box now...) :D

Blimey how big is your letterbox? :lol:

Have to be worth a quid each just to chuck into the old collection, but sadly, no, I've seen them there tons of times over the past few months and still ahven't bothered picking them up

oooh, if i'm in town next week i might have to have a look in the pound shops to see if they're doing the rounds here...

...i'm told they're not quite right on dvd... apparently the scenes aren't randomised like in the arcade game, and they may be a few other issues too... but for £1 i'd give one a look see.

Today's Observer has a DVD of the Prince concert film Sign O' t' Times while the Daily Star Sunday comes with an Ian Dury & The Blockheads CD which features tracks from their 22 December 1990 Brixton Academy concert.

Today's Observer comes with a 16:9 DVD of the Talking Heads concert film Stop Making Sense, while the Daily Star Sunday has a CD of Blondie live in New York, 07 May 2004.

On September 10th said:
I popped into Poundland at the weekend and picked up one of those four-episode X-Files DVDs - labelled "21". I just need to keep my eye out in future visits for parts 1-20 and 22 onwards!
Another small coup this weekend: I found parts 5 and 12 at Poundland at the One-Stop centre in Perry Barr (it's the only excuse for going there, believe me). So that's another 9 episodes on 3 DVDs - no.12 is an end-of-season double pack - for £2! At this rate, if I keep looking, I'll get the whole of the X-Files for about £50. Plus about £100 in petrol!

Today's Times has a DVD of The Millionairess, starring Sophia Loren as an husband-seeking heiress who wins the affections of an Indian doctor (sensitively portrayed by Peter Sellers) by letting him have a bash at the bangers and mash his mother used to make - or something :?

Also, the not-at-all-jingoistic Daily Mail follows its World at War giveaway with the 1964 BBC series The Great War, two episodes of which come with today's paper ;)

Here's one for 'The Kids'... ;) Today's Sunday Times comes with Ray Davies' new album, Working Man's Café.

Ah, well now, if we're allowed CDs in this thread (and we surely are), then I'm sure VHS also sneaks in under the "off-topic" radar.

Browsing Poundland for bargains the other day - I fear it's becoming an addiction, or at least mild OCD - I picked up Oh Brother, Where Art Thou and Existenz. Price? Yep, you guessed it - one pound each!

Nearly forgot...

Today's Daily Star Sunday has a CD of the Sex Pistols' 1976 Dave Goodman demos - good stuff
thumbup6ly.gif

Poundland are carrying a lot of gorehoud stuff on the Hardgore label. Unlike the 23rd Century stuff, these all seem to be versions passed by the bbfc. Out of nostalgia mainly, I picked up the Oz exploitation flick Turkey Shoot, a variation on The Most Dangerous Game, which videostore nerds of the nineties will recall under its opportunistic UK renaming as Blood Camp Thatcher. This is now allowed uncut and the print is widescreen.

Deep River Savages directed by Umberto Lenzi is generally regarded as the first of the cannibal cycle. It dates from 1972 and is clearly endebted to A Man Called Horse. This is unlikely ever to be allowed through uncut, as the complete version includes scenes of real animal cruelty.

More wholesome fare can also be found. I picked up the Prism edition of Morgan Spurlock's Supersize Me, which comes bulging with extras. Those who have been keeping up with their newspaper freebies may already have it - unusually, I gather the freebie contained all the extras too!

My best find in Poundland was on VHS only: the two tapes of Edge of Darkness, the eighties conspiracy thriller, regarded by many as five of the Beeb's finest hours. I have never managed to see the whole of it, though it has turned up on BBC4 in recent years.

I could also list here my delighted discovery of two tapes of six episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - Universal tapes issued in 1999. I was unaware these existed and it may be a while before they turn up on DVD. Sadly these were not in Poundland but on a stall in Bury Market. Proof that VHS is worth keeping for a bit longer.

Now, what are the newspapers playing at? It's high time we had some good freebies for 2007! Mind you my current slush-pile will keep me busy for some time. 8)

Today's Telegraph has a DVD of World War 1 In Colour, with another in tomorrow's paper and five more to collect throughout the week.

HMV are currently selling The Hammer Collection, a 21-disc DVD collection comprising She (1965), The Nanny (1965), Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966), The Plague of the Zombies (1966)*, Rasputin the Mad Monk, The Reptile, The Witches (1966), One Million Years B.C. (1966), The Viking Queen, Frankenstein Created Woman (1967), Quatermass and the Pit (1967), The Vengeance of She, The Devil Rides Out (1968), Prehistoric Women, Scars of Dracula, The Horror of Frankenstein (1970), Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971), Straight On Till Morning (1972), Fear In the Night, Demons of the Mind (1971) and To the Devil a Daughter (1976), along with a documentary, To the Devil... The Death of Hammer**, for £40, marked down from £149.99. :D

* A flop film vehicle for the She's Not There hit-makers.

** But not perhaps the most terrifying Hammer film of them all, Holiday On the Buses.

Today's Mail On Sunday has The Missionary, starring (and written by) Michael Palin.

I picked up a copy of 'Doctor Who New Series One, Complete (Collectors Edition),' today. The Dutch version, with optional subtitles and all for only €12.49.

:)

The Dutch version, eh.
Is that like the Swedish version, only with tulips?

I was leaving Wal-Mart yesterday and glanced at the $1 dvd rack and saw Nosferatu (The original vampire movie. The really creepy one with Max Schrek). Being a movie geek I had to buy it. When I grabbed it I saw that it had an even better bonus...a complete soundtrack by Type O Negative and bonus music video for Black No. 1. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That is a great find. I haven't seen that in years. I'll have to check out my chinamart.

escargot1 said:
The Dutch version, eh.
Is that like the Swedish version, only with tulips?
They wear less clothes in the Swedish version, although they always keep their socks on.

And, David Tennant spends more time in drag. ;)

... ... ... ... ....

I'm sorely tempted to buy the Dutch version of the complete 'Catweazle' for €10.00, as well. It just means that it comes with optional Dutch subtitles.

Unfortunately, some kids series get dubbed, which isn't half so much fun. 'The Worst Witch' became 'De Hopeloze Heks,' for example. :(

WhistlingJack said:
HMV are currently selling The Hammer Collection, a 21-disc DVD collection comprising She (1965), The Nanny (1965), Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966), The Plague of the Zombies (1966)*, Rasputin the Mad Monk, The Reptile, The Witches (1966), One Million Years B.C. (1966), The Viking Queen, Frankenstein Created Woman (1967), Quatermass and the Pit (1967), The Vengeance of She, The Devil Rides Out (1968), Prehistoric Women, Scars of Dracula, The Horror of Frankenstein (1970), Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (1971), Straight On Till Morning (1972), Fear In the Night, Demons of the Mind (1971) and To the Devil a Daughter (1976), along with a documentary, To the Devil... The Death of Hammer**, for £40, marked down from £149.99. :D

* A flop film vehicle for the She's Not There hit-makers.

** But not perhaps the most terrifying Hammer film of them all, Holiday On the Buses.

This one has been available in huge numbers over the Christmas and New Year period at the same price Jack records for November. It's a good buy as are the cheap Hitchcock sets from WB & Universal. These are piled up instore in such vast quantities that they can hardly be remainders.

DVDs are like strawberries: we are asked to believe that the proper price is the season of scarcity. In the case of DVDs that is when they are new and in the case of strawberries the season of expensive importation.

I love the way HMV use those supposedly hand-written reduction stickers which emulate felt-tip mark-downs. We are usually paying the market-price and our perception of what constitutes a bargain has been meddled with till we are dizzy.

I am looking forward to seeing Quatermass and the Pit again, having fond memories of the time when it was shown one Christmas Night on telly. She and 1,000,000 years BC was a double bill at the ABC, enjoyed by my brother and me as a treat with Grannie! It will be good to see The Devil Rides Out in OAR.

A few titles do not respect the Cinemascope ratio of the originals, alas and those title-safe opening sequences cause a sigh as they reveert to standard w/s ratio for the rest of the picture. I wish there were some of the earlier Quatermass films in the box but I don't resent the inclusion of the clinkers quite so much as some reviewers. There are nights when pictures such as Viking Queen are about all the brain can handle. A cute little box with drawers and a pleasing booklet with postcards complete the package. Hammer films were sniffed at in their day: they positively revelled in the X-certificate, sending films back to the bbfc for reconsideration, if they failed to get more than an A.

Under new ownership - HMV, since you ask - some of the Fopp shops re-opened before Christmas. In the North-West, that seems to mean just the Manchester branch in Brown Street. Their stock looks mainly to be that which was locked up in the shop when they closed. Some things are worth the trip, however. The double-pack of Capote/In Cold Blood at £7. The Special Edition 2-disc Last Exit to Brooklyn at £3 and the bfi version of Visconti's The Leopard at £11.

Since bfi discs are rarely much discounted, The Leopard is a bargain. Admirers of the movie will enjoy the extended cut but regret that this precludes the English language soundtrack. So hold onto those precious tapes of the BBC print which is NOT the cinema version but a partly-restored cut, adding non-dialogue footage. The DVD is longer still but the film as originally seen is lost for ever it seems.

Recent bargains elsewhere have included Polanski's The Tenant, available at £3 in Morrison's supermarkets - or at £5 for two, if you can find something to match. Poundstore fare has not been wonderful of late but animation fans can find decent Digiview versions of Animal Farm (Halas & Batchelor) and Gulliver's Travels (Fleischers) in the Cartoon Craze series in Poundland. The repackaging of cheap movies gets ever more intense: now you can get four movies for a quid in the shape of 2 double-sided discs. I picked up RKO 281, the award-winning Home Box Office tv-movie about the making of Citizen Kane. It's full-screen but was probably made that way. You get with it a race-drama called A Lesson Before Dying, an Australian watime-set musical called Rebel and soapy tear-jerker called the Angel Doll. Twenty-five pence each. What do you mean they're not on your shopping list!

My other chosen quadruple-bill packages Cronenberg's early Canadian horror Shivers (widescreen, whatever the package says, albeit in pale Eastmancolor, blown up from 16mm) together with The Shawshank Redemption,, Final Scream, a youth-horror with supposed homo-erotic subtext - I read that on imdb. The package concludes with a thing called Witchcraft - or Ghosthouse II. This stars the Exorcist girl Linda Blair and schlockmeister David Hasselhof. The Director credit is bogus - online sources suggest Fabrizio Laurenti. Any horrid scenes excised from the picture itself appear to be fully in evidence in the trailer. Straight-to-video nasty fare, I guess, and the film - like all these apart from the Cronenberg - is in full-screen.[/code]

Good post, JW :)

Today's Sunday Times has a DVD featuring an episode of The Wombles - there are more to collect throughout the coming week if you can be bothered.

Speaking of newspaper DVD collections, it was a relief to see my Daily Mail set of The Great War finally arrive yesterday, nearly three months after I sent the tokens off... :roll:

Today's Independent has an EcoDisc of Ken Loach's Land and Freedom and - Bugger the Cabin Boy! The Sunday Times comes with a DVD of the 1970s incarnation of Captain Pugwash, all 30 episodes and two-and-a-half hours of it! :)

Today's Independent has 30 Years of Stiff Records - Volume One, a ten-track compilation CD, half of which wasn't on the recent four-disc box-set.

Tracklisting: -

Madness- Baggy Trousers (live)
Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick (live)
Kirsty MacColl - A New England
The Belle Stars - Sign of the Times
Department S - Is Vic There?
Chris Difford - Come On Down
Jona Lewie - You'll Always Find Me In the Kitchen at Parties
Tracey Ullman - Breakaway
Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin - It's My Party
Desmond Dekker - The Israelites (1980 version)

Volume two tomorrow...

Back