• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dying Alone & Loners' Unnoticed Deaths

Local residents shocked after man found dead on sofa for year: 'Didn't know anyone lived there'

A middle-aged Rotterdam man was found to have been lying dead on his sofa for a year. He was eventually found by police. Neighbours reacted with shock. "So sad."

1700248128953.png

Rising Numbers of Long-Decomposed Bodies Are Being Found in The UK

More and more people in England and Wales are being found in a decomposed state, long after dying, reveals a new study – a trend that's been noticeable over the last 40 years, and which isolation linked to the coronavirus epidemic may have made worse.

Researchers analyzed data from the UK's Office for National Statistics (ONS), studying statistics logged for deaths between 1979 and 2020.

While there's no official record of dead bodies that have gone undiscovered for an extended period of time, the team used two International Classification of Diseases (ICD) codes – which are recorded – as proxies to make an estimation.

Those codes are R98 for an "unattended death", and R99 for "other ill-defined and unknown causes of mortality".

The stats show a continual rise in these types of deaths, suggesting that more people are dying and decomposing before they're found.

The research has been published in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine.

https://www.sciencealert.com/rising-numbers-of-long-decomposed-bodies-are-being-found-in-the-uk

maximus otter

I've got two cats 'n' three dogs. It might be a while before last one standing gets my remains.
Seriously, though, I'm not sure of the truth behind the whole 'corpse-eating cats'. I know dogs have starved themselves after their owners dying. Summat to do with their group hierarchy? Cats, on the other hand, tend to be loners.

I used to work for the police. The SOCO guys (I think they're called Scientific Support nowadays) told a tale of a man who had been found dead, without his penis. A search revealed it was behind the sofa. They concluded his dog had got hungry and bit it off.

I used to work for the police. The SOCO guys (I think they're called Scientific Support nowadays) told a tale of a man who had been found dead, without his penis. A search revealed it was behind the sofa. They concluded his dog had got hungry and bit it off.
I usually lose things down the side of the sofa instead.

We visited a police station on our afternoon out with colleagues. It was interesting. In the entry hall they had a huge list of cold cases. I was especially moved by the unknown dead men only identifiable by their tattoos and by the anonymous found dead babies:20231207_135327.jpg
20231207_135337.jpg

Tsk. What next? Recommendations of getting an identifying tattoo for the authorities use? ;)
Only kidding.

Los Angeles County has 1,000s of ‘unclaimed dead.’ These investigators retrace their lives

Arusyak Martirosyan struggles to open the door of a stranger’s one-bedroom apartment overflowing with the belongings from a life lived but not claimed in death.

Wedged against the door is a giant box of Gain laundry detergent and plastic tubs piled high. Blouses and T-shirts, suspended by hangers over a living room curtain rod, block out almost all sunlight. Bins and boxes, brimming with more clothes, hide the carpet. Empty takeout containers and Tupperware, with bugs trapped inside, cover the stove.

The 74-year-old woman died in October in the hospital, and weeks later no one had come forward for her remains. Wearing a Tyvek protective suit and trailed by the building’s property manager, Martirosyan hunts for a greeting card or letter sent to her that could have a family member’s address on the return label — anything that would lead to a relative who could give this woman a proper burial.

Martirosyan acts as a living representative of those Los Angeles County calls “the unclaimed dead.” She is one of more than a dozen investigators who work for the Public Administrator, an understaffed and little-known branch of the county’s Department of the Treasurer and Tax Collector.

Martirosyan and her colleagues spend three years investigating a case before relinquishing the deceased to a communal gravesite, a last resort in the county cemetery.

It is a painstaking process to retrace a life. Investigators, who handle about 200 cases yearly, are given a manila file folder containing a name, birthdate and little else for each death.

“I go through their lives in so many ways,” Martirosyan said. “They do become mine.”

https://apnews.com/article/unclaime...urial-graves-a5cd03e366bd4cfdf22a9904940a2fe1

maximus otter

Los Angeles County has 1,000s of ‘unclaimed dead.’ These investigators retrace their lives

Arusyak Martirosyan struggles to open the door of a stranger’s one-bedroom apartment overflowing with the belongings from a life lived but not claimed in death.

Wedged against the door is a giant box of Gain laundry detergent and plastic tubs piled high. Blouses and T-shirts, suspended by hangers over a living room curtain rod, block out almost all sunlight. Bins and boxes, brimming with more clothes, hide the carpet. Empty takeout containers and Tupperware, with bugs trapped inside, cover the stove.

The 74-year-old woman died in October in the hospital, and weeks later no one had come forward for her remains. Wearing a Tyvek protective suit and trailed by the building’s property manager, Martirosyan hunts for a greeting card or letter sent to her that could have a family member’s address on the return label — anything that would lead to a relative who could give this woman a proper burial.

Martirosyan acts as a living representative of those Los Angeles County calls “the unclaimed dead.” She is one of more than a dozen investigators who work for the Public Administrator, an understaffed and little-known branch of the county’s Department of the Treasurer and Tax Collector.

Martirosyan and her colleagues spend three years investigating a case before relinquishing the deceased to a communal gravesite, a last resort in the county cemetery.

It is a painstaking process to retrace a life. Investigators, who handle about 200 cases yearly, are given a manila file folder containing a name, birthdate and little else for each death.

“I go through their lives in so many ways,” Martirosyan said. “They do become mine.”

https://apnews.com/article/unclaime...urial-graves-a5cd03e366bd4cfdf22a9904940a2fe1

maximus otter
The most disgusting there is the box of Corn Dogs.

Back