• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
As if they didn't have enough to contend with at the moment
Earthquake shakes parts of California during storm
Published
1 hour ago

Usually arid desert areas, like Palm Springs, have been inundated by rain
By Antoinette Radford
BBC News
As people across Southern California sheltered from Hurricane Hilary; another natural disaster hit - a magnitude 5.1 earthquake.

Its epicentre was northwest of Los Angeles and #hurriquake was soon trending on social media.

It did not cause major damage, and the hurricane has also since been downgraded to a post-tropical cyclone.

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said over 100 fire stations were checking buildings for damage.

Ms Bass said in a tweet. that there were no initial reports of structural damage caused by the earthquake or any injuries.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66568991

I thought that California had difficulty finding a time when the ground isn't shaking?

Again the question of earthquake lights: This video is getting posted about (and discusses, if machine translation flies) that:
Only, you can see the area around the flash go dark, so I'm not sure that this wouldn't be a transformer failure (quake-related or no). I thought they were supposed to last for a while, too, and be more of a general glow.

After every sizable earthquake these days, it is inevitable that several people on social media will post a photo or video of what they claim are anomalous luminous phenomena associated with the quake. It is usually security footage that shows bright blue flashes in the distance, never close up. And it’s typically seconds before or during when the shaking is felt at the camera site. They are immediately called “earthquake lights” and some confident person asserts that they are a “well-known” and “real” phenomenon that is a result of electrical charges released by the shaking.

This is probably entirely wrong.
https://sharonahill.substack.com/p/earthquake-lights-always-appear

Yeah, and it's the historical stuff that sounds more like a ... ground-based aurora sort of thing. I know there was one pre-electricity in Japan (869, Sanriku quake, it's the Wikipedia historical example) but I swear there was a pre-electricity example from Spain also. I'd love to know if there's anything in that.

Yeah, and it's the historical stuff that sounds more like a ... ground-based aurora sort of thing. I know there was one pre-electricity in Japan (869, Sanriku quake, it's the Wikipedia historical example) but I swear there was a pre-electricity example from Spain also. I'd love to know if there's anything in that.
I wrote a lot about this here https://spookygeology.com/earthquake-lights/ and in a featured story for paper Fortean Times. Some of the most interesting examples didn't look anything like a white-blue flash. So they clearly were not related to electrical wiring.

I hope Rynner is OK.

An earthquake has shaken parts of Cornwall, with people saying it felt like an explosion or avalanche.

Seismologists at the British Geological Survey recorded the 2.7 magnitude quake at 00:50 GMT.

Its epicentre was in the Mounts Bay area in south Cornwall, with people woken up by a loud bang from St Just in north Cornwall to Redruth.

Experts said the tremor was within what is expected for the area and is among hundreds in the UK every year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c724le759lro

'Loud rumbling sound' as earthquake hits Highlands
Published
4 hours ago

Boats in Mallaig harbour
IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
Residents in Mallaig felt a 'weak trembling' during the quake
An earthquake measuring 2.1ML on the Richter scale has hit parts of the Highlands.

The event was felt just before 15:30 on Saturday in Mallaig and Morar and by islanders on Lismore in the Inner Hebrides.

The British Geological Survey asked for people to share their experiences of the quake online.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67675001

Tiny earthquake rattles hundreds of New Yorkers
A 1.7 magnitude quake affected Roosevelt Island residents over a mile away particularly if they lived in high rise apartment buildings. Emergency crews responded after initial reports likened it to an explosion. The media was slow to pick up on the recorded small quake. No damage resulted.

https://sharonahill.com/tiny-earthquake-rattles-hundreds-of-new-yorkers/

Some news to brighten your day. You'll only need to worry though if you are truly immortal. I bet it'll be turned into clickbait.

A modeling study suggests a slumbering subduction zone below the Gibraltar Strait is active and could break into the Atlantic Ocean in 20 million years' time, giving birth to an Atlantic "Ring of Fire."

A diagram showing the age of Earth's crust below the Atlantic Ocean.

Diagram showing the age of the crust below the Atlantic Ocean (red being newly formed crust and blue being the oldest crust). (Image credit: Mr. Elliot Lim, CIRES & NOAA/NCEI)

A subduction zone below the Gibraltar Strait is creeping westward and could one day "invade" the Atlantic Ocean, causing the ocean to slowly close up, new research suggests.

The subduction zone, also known as the Gibraltar arc or trench, currently sits in a narrow ocean corridor between Portugal and Morocco. Its westward migration began around 30 million years ago, when a subduction zone formed along the northern coast of what is now the Mediterranean Sea, but it has stalled in the last 5 million years, prompting some scientists to question whether the Gibraltar arc is still active today.

It appears, however, that the arc is merely in a period of quiet, according to a study published Feb. 13 in the journal Geology. This lull will likely last for another 20 million years, after which the Gibraltar arc could resume its advance and break into the Atlantic in a process known as "subduction invasion."

The Atlantic Ocean hosts two subduction zones that researchers know of — the Lesser Antilles subduction zone in the Caribbean and the Scotia arc, near Antarctica.

"These subduction zones invaded the Atlantic several million years ago," lead author João Duarte, a geologist and assistant professor at the University of Lisbon, said in a statement. "Studying Gibraltar is an invaluable opportunity because it allows observing the process in its early stages when it is just happening."

To test whether the Gibraltar arc is still active, Duarte and his colleagues built a computer model that simulated the birth of the subduction zone in the Oligocene epoch (34 million to 23 million years ago) and its evolution until present day. The researchers noticed an abrupt decline in the arc's speed 5 million years ago, as it approached the Atlantic boundary. "At this point, the Gibraltar subduction zone seems doomed to fail," they wrote in the study.

The team then modeled the arc's fate over the next 40 million years and found it painstakingly pushes its way through the narrow Gibraltar Strait from the present day over the next 20 million years. "Strikingly, after this point, the trench retreat slowly speeds up, and the subduction zone widens and propagates oceanward," the researchers wrote in the study. ...

https://www.livescience.com/planet-...ring-of-fire-that-swallows-the-atlantic-ocean

Some news to brighten your day. You'll only need to worry though if you are truly immortal. I bet it'll be turned into clickbait.

A modeling study suggests a slumbering subduction zone below the Gibraltar Strait is active and could break into the Atlantic Ocean in 20 million years' time, giving birth to an Atlantic "Ring of Fire."

A diagram showing the age of Earth's crust below the Atlantic Ocean.'s crust below the Atlantic Ocean.

Diagram showing the age of the crust below the Atlantic Ocean (red being newly formed crust and blue being the oldest crust). (Image credit: Mr. Elliot Lim, CIRES & NOAA/NCEI)

A subduction zone below the Gibraltar Strait is creeping westward and could one day "invade" the Atlantic Ocean, causing the ocean to slowly close up, new research suggests.

The subduction zone, also known as the Gibraltar arc or trench, currently sits in a narrow ocean corridor between Portugal and Morocco. Its westward migration began around 30 million years ago, when a subduction zone formed along the northern coast of what is now the Mediterranean Sea, but it has stalled in the last 5 million years, prompting some scientists to question whether the Gibraltar arc is still active today.

It appears, however, that the arc is merely in a period of quiet, according to a study published Feb. 13 in the journal Geology. This lull will likely last for another 20 million years, after which the Gibraltar arc could resume its advance and break into the Atlantic in a process known as "subduction invasion."

The Atlantic Ocean hosts two subduction zones that researchers know of — the Lesser Antilles subduction zone in the Caribbean and the Scotia arc, near Antarctica.

"These subduction zones invaded the Atlantic several million years ago," lead author João Duarte, a geologist and assistant professor at the University of Lisbon, said in a statement. "Studying Gibraltar is an invaluable opportunity because it allows observing the process in its early stages when it is just happening."

To test whether the Gibraltar arc is still active, Duarte and his colleagues built a computer model that simulated the birth of the subduction zone in the Oligocene epoch (34 million to 23 million years ago) and its evolution until present day. The researchers noticed an abrupt decline in the arc's speed 5 million years ago, as it approached the Atlantic boundary. "At this point, the Gibraltar subduction zone seems doomed to fail," they wrote in the study.

The team then modeled the arc's fate over the next 40 million years and found it painstakingly pushes its way through the narrow Gibraltar Strait from the present day over the next 20 million years. "Strikingly, after this point, the trench retreat slowly speeds up, and the subduction zone widens and propagates oceanward," the researchers wrote in the study. ...

https://www.livescience.com/planet-...ring-of-fire-that-swallows-the-atlantic-ocean
The clickbait happened immediately.
See https://sharonahill.com/news-blips-...-and-headlines-burn-up-about-plate-tectonics/ for examples.

Taiwan's strongest earthquake in 25 years kills 9 people, 50 missing

HUALIEN, Taiwan, April 3 (Reuters) - Taiwan's biggest earthquake in at least 25 years killed nine people on Wednesday and injured more than 900, while 50 workers travelling in minibuses to a hotel in a national park were missing.

Some buildings tilted at precarious angles in the mountainous, sparsely populated county of Hualien, near the epicentre of the 7.2 magnitude quake, which struck just offshore at about 8 a. m. (0000 GMT) and triggered massive landslides.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/strong-72-magnitude-earthquake-hits-taipei-2024-04-03/

maximus otter

Oh my dog, the people of the East Coast on social media are insufferable today. So many "suddenly seismologists".

I, unfortunately, did not feel the first quake but my kid in Deleware, my Dad in Northeastern PA, and many friends up and down the Atlantic coastal plain did. My cousin in New Jersey started praying. With the eclipse happening on Monday, there is chaos among the religious and non-scientific minded people.

There have been 12 earthquakes so far. The latest one was another 4 M.

When I was young visiting my mom in Memphis which sets on the usually quiet New Madrid Fault, we had an earth tremor.

It was morning and I was still in bed, but the shaking threw me out of the bed and I said to myself a truck must had hit the house.

It really put a fright into me.

Oh my dog, the people of the East Coast on social media are insufferable today. So many "suddenly seismologists".

I, unfortunately, did not feel the first quake but my kid in Deleware, my Dad in Northeastern PA, and many friends up and down the Atlantic coastal plain did. My cousin in New Jersey started praying. With the eclipse happening on Monday, there is chaos among the religious and non-scientific minded people.

There have been 12 earthquakes so far. The latest one was another 4 M.
A coworker just told me about this today and said that she has a friend who has decided that this and the upcoming eclipse is the sign of end times and, of course, has stocked up on whatever is needed.

Of course with end times, I'm not really sure what you'd have to stock up for.

I suggested to my coworker to invite her friend to a party to celebrate the day after the end times.

A coworker just told me about this today and said that she has a friend who has decided that this and the upcoming eclipse is the sign of end times and, of course, has stocked up on whatever is needed.

I suggested to my coworker to invite her friend to a party to celebrate the day after the end times.
After end of time you get extra time then it goes to penalties.

I had that this morning from someone where I live and she started off with the words, "I'm not religious BUT....." and I thought 'help!' I said to her that now you know it's the end times, what are you going to do? That stumped her. Then I asked if she would be watching tv this evening and she looked puzzled and then said she would. I then said so it's the end times and we're all going to die and your going to be watching tv and so maybe we deserve the end times. Then she said 'well..... we may not die'. I said 'that's good. Enjoy tonight's tv free from worry'. She walked off and I think she wasn't sure what to then say to me.

The cleaner who was near by and who'd heard the conversation said he wished it was end times as then he 'wouldn't have to do this frigging job anymore'. I told him to get back to work as doomsday is not here yet.

Seriously though, I 'm amazed at how many people are worried by the eclipse.

edit: it was yesterday morning, not this morning.

First it was flat Earthers, now it's the 'Eclipse is a supernatural event'?
When did we reach the height of knowledge and sophistication? It seems we're regressing.
I agree! It is ridiculous. A large portion of Americans have lost all sense of reason (if they only had a meagre amount prior to this year). (I'll say no more because it's not just the Eclipse and earthquakes.)

Back