• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eating Seafood Having Shells

EggSucker

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
RE: Lobsters

Why anybody would want to eat a bloody great ocean cockroach is beyond me anyway.

But hey, if you've got the stones for it, knock yerself out. I think you should have to kill them yourself anyway if you're gonna eat 'em. How many people would do that to a cow? Eh? Eh?

Actually wasn't that on a cooking programme on the BBC a while back? A bloke had to select and slaughter his own dinner. Very thought provoking that was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jolly Jack said:
Why anybody would want to eat a bloody great ocean cockroach is beyond me anyway.

But hey, if you've got the stones for it, knock yerself out.

Actually, when I was a tad, the exact thing happened. We were on a camping trip in Maine, and went in town to buy some lobsters for dinner. Believe you me, those things look like monsterous giant bugs when you're four years old! When told it was time for dinner, and that we were going to eat the bugs, I ran off in such a panic, I ran right smack into a tree. (There's a lot of trees in Maine!)

I've never had lobster. I'd quite like to try it, but having this horrid looking cockroach thing on my plate just doesn't appeal. Prawns have the same effect - they look like fleas. :p

Anyway, how the hell do you eat a lobster? Those huge bibs they seem to give you just do not look very appealing

I think they were colloquially called "bugs" for a number of years in places like Florida. I also think the view of them as fine-dining food is a (relatively) recent change in eating habits, like post WWI or later. They're scavangers who look like they belong in either Starship Troopers or should be abducting Charles Hickson & Calvin Parker...who'd want to eat that?

PS-I do love lobster, though it's been ages since I had one. And no, I don't have any particular problem with dropping them live into boiling water.

Ravenstone said:
I've never had lobster. I'd quite like to try it, but having this horrid looking cockroach thing on my plate just doesn't appeal. Prawns have the same effect - they look like fleas. :p

Anyway, how the hell do you eat a lobster? Those huge bibs they seem to give you just do not look very appealing

Try it, IMO its flippin mouth watering-ly yummy!!! Just try not to think of the cockroach comparisson!

Well, does it absolutely have to be served in its shell?

they are prity tastey and one only needs a bib if you eat like a pig...

I dont suppose it has to but i had a laugh trying to open it! Not sure if you can get lobster sticks!! :D

Yeah, it could be fun trying to get into it, I suppose. I wouldn't have a clue where to start, for one thing! :D

Anything you have to eat with a hammer and a pair of pliers just isn't worth the effort.

How starving would you have had to be to be the first person to discover they were edible? :shock:

Same has been said about oysters (which, let me make myself perfectly clear, I wouldn't eat if my life depended on it)

Ravenstone said:
Same has been said about oysters (which, let me make myself perfectly clear, I wouldn't eat if my life depended on it)

i got a sack of Oysters as a wedding present..i was sort of workign for an oyster farmer called Bodger at the time.... i must say they are prity disgusting to eat... and dodgy to open!... knife thro the hand being one danger.

Ravenstone said:
Well, does it absolutely have to be served in its shell?

No. Obviously if you're going to cook it yourself you'll have to do your own shelling (deshelling?) regardless of how it's served, but both lobster bisque and lobster thermidor are decadently rich, delicious recipes. (With regard to the latter, since Thermidor was one of the months of the post-revolution French calendar I'm guessing there's a connection there, though i'm not sure what.)

Another "who'd be the first person to decide THAT was food?" one are globe artichokes.

Right. Lobster thermidor, here I come. :D

Erm. What's it taste like?

Ravenstone said:
Right. Lobster thermidor, here I come. :D

Erm. What's it taste like?
Chicken. allegedly :lol:

I like to serve it in an Indian dish, with lots of sauteed onions, a little ginger and some crushed fennel seeds. Yummers.

Never go to New Orleans without eating boiled "mudbugs," or crawfish. K Paul's restaurant makes a particularly good crawfish etouffe.

Lobster's rather nice. A tremendous faf to eat.

What I don't like is snails. anyone eaten those? rubbery as hell. Why is it that when you burp when they repeat on you, the after taste is not dissimilar to an alotment. Slightly over rated IMO. I find it hard to believe when someone says they're lovely. To get them to even taste remotely palletable you have to drench them in so much garlic butter you may as well eat a ball of garlic butter and be spared the allotment after taste. When something is SO soaked in garlic, it's like... a tramp trying to disguise their soiled smell with cheap calone. I challenge anyone to eat a snail without saturated flavouring of some other description and still declare it 'lovely'.

Frog's legs. completely pointless unless you have skeletal thin fingers, a teeny weeny mouth and a miniscule stomach. if it had it's own unique taste, then I could see the point, but it doesn't.

Hook Innsmouth said:
Frog's legs. completely pointless unless you have skeletal thin fingers, a teeny weeny mouth and a miniscule stomach. if it had it's own unique taste, then I could see the point, but it doesn't.
They are incredibly boring as food. More bone than meat, you need a dozen or so just to have as a decent starter and uncannily like chicken. Whenever exotic food is discussed, many people say "tastes a bit like chicken". In the case of frogs legs, they do.

Stormkhan said:
They are incredibly boring as food. More bone than meat, you need a dozen or so just to have as a decent starter and uncannily like chicken. Whenever exotic food is discussed, many people say "tastes a bit like chicken". In the case of frogs legs, they do.

Much better to eat the chicken then, surely? Easier to produce as well.

Ravenstone said:

A lot of the exotic foodstuffs tend on reflection to be quite disappointing and never live up to the hype, with the exception IMHO of caviar, which despite being an "imperialist tidbit" in the best Life Of Brian style is very nice.

I thought snails were ok but i wouldnt want to try them without having some sort of extra flavour added.I have seen them eaten raw and, well, that was pretty disgusting.

Heckler said:
Ravenstone said:

A lot of the exotic foodstuffs tend on reflection to be quite disappointing and never live up to the hype, with the exception IMHO of caviar, which despite being an "imperialist tidbit" in the best Life Of Brian style is very nice.
you haven't eaten Russian caviar then?

Caviar - oversalted (and overpriced) fish eggs. Gorge yourself on goldfish food. It's cheaper. You could, of course, dye fish paste black and stir into a pot of salt.

Snails - Whelks with delusions of grandeur. Douse on vinegar, chew for several hours then attempt to swallow.

Winkles - Whelks with inferiority complexes.

I like cod roe. But the description of caviar as being slightly harder than roe puts me off. It doesn't sound nice.

Back